Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Not retail, but food service (who really gives a poo poo, though). There's this one moron who comes in through the drive-through every Sunday, and places his order at the box. He gets to the window, then changes half the items on his order, usually changing the sandwiches or bagels. His entire order is already made up, so we throw out the stuff he doesn't want, and make the stuff he changes his order to. Then, he gets all pissy that we always take too long. gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
gently caress people who can't get off their cellphones for 5 minutes. gently caress them in their wrinkled assholes. I had a woman back into someone else in the drive-through line because she wasn't paying attention to anything other than her drat cellphone. She forgot her change and backed up to get back to the window, but the person behind her had already advanced a bit. She backed up too fast, and hit the person in back. No damage that I could see, but get off the phone before reversing, for gently caress's sake. Then there was the other woman who sat at the order box for a full 2 minutes talking on her phone. The people behind her were honking, the person taking orders was telling her to hurry up, and then she gets all indignant. gently caress them all.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

MaxDuo posted:

I had a girl at my work get wrote up for not helping a customer when she was off the clock. She was heading out to pick her up her kids from school, and handed the customer off to an employee that was right there when the lady came up to her and asked about an item across the store. Yet....... YOU HORRIBLE BITCH WE WROTE YOU UP NEXT TIME IT'S YOUR JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB.

This is bizarre, because everywhere I've seen, helping a customer while off the clock is not allowed, and I've heard stories of people being written up simply by tidying up an endcap while on the way to the door.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

I remember long ago in the last thread, someone had a little instruction manual for how to computer shop at Walmart.

1. Grab a random stick of RAM (no receipt needed).

2. Go in and ask to speak to a manager in electronics.

3. Bitch bitch bitch that you bought the RAM there, and that it fried your computer.

4. Collect free computer.

I've never seen a Walmart that stocks RAM (or any computer components outside of external drives). This might be the reason.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

side_burned posted:

There is something I have been wanting to say here for a while now, gently caress ALL SMOKERS, yes I mean you. Why smokers deserve their ten minute break every loving hour is beyond me.

loving christ, yes. We recently changed owners at the Timmies where I work. Since the new guy took over, the store has turned around pretty fantastically. One of the first things that changed was that employees were now no longer allowed to go for a smoke at any time. They could only go on their breaks. Breaks also got cut from 20 to 15 minutes, but that's not really a huge deal... except to the smokers. Half of them started complaining that they needed a smoke almost incessantly, and that they don't have as much time to light up on their breaks. They also never have a loving lighter on them. I'm also the one who sweeps the poo poo out of the parking lot, and there's always a shitload of butts scattered around the rear door, where they all smoke. They don't even have the decency to throw them out.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

We've taken to calling overnights "the circle shift" because the two chucklefucks working them cut so many corners and leave so much poo poo unfinished that it's just mindboggling. Daytime shift has enough problems to deal with without having to worry whether or not the garbage cans are emptied, or if they have a bag in them at all, and having to wash every dish in the store because they're either not done, or they've gone back out on the floor with poo poo still caked on them.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

This is honestly a good example of people who deserve to be working retail. If you can't take two seconds to follow a simple, standard safety procedure, you really shouldn't make much above minimum wage.

Not really. I've been cleaning up spills with a cone and the bright yellow bucket, and I still had one person yell at me for almost slipping in the puddle. If a customer ignores two people obviously cleaning up a spill, the cone's probably not going to make much of a difference.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I've had a couple of people get indignant at me that I don't understand Starbucks sizes or terminology, working at Tim Hortons. I've never been to a Starbucks, and I don't drink coffee. Is it fair that I have no idea what an Americano or a Latte is, and can't suggest a comparable product we sell outside of just coffee?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Noitaroballoc posted:

You work at a coffee shop and don't know what a latte or Americano is? Those aren't Starbucks-specific terms, they're proper names for coffee drinks. Do you have different names for all the drinks at Tims?

No. We have coffee (plain old Arabica drip coffee, none of this specialty bullshit), teas, cappuchinos made using a lovely mix, and some cold drinks.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

HookShot posted:

In Australia, a "normal coffee" is a flat white, which is basically just a latte with very little foam. Dunno what we call it in north america. "Long Blacks" or what we North Americans call normal coffee, are pretty rare.

Anyways, when I first moved here, I got a job as a barrista, and two guys came up and asked for 2 normal coffees. I tried asking what they meant, and they just went "oh, normal coffees". So I made them two long blacks and they came back a few minutes later and someone else re-made them some flat whites (I had gone on break at this point). Apparently they weren't angry or anything at least.

Yeah, I've had a couple of Australians come up and ask for a "white coffee", and I honestly had no idea how to respond to that. First thing that came to mind was a coffee that was half cream, because that's as close as you can get to white before it becomes "cream with coffee". Apparently it's a coffee with one shot of milk in it.

A regular here is 1 cream, 1 sugar, but I've had a few people order regulars, expecting a black.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

loving christ. Head office decided to consolidate our deliveries from two different suppliers (themselves and Sysco) to just themselves. This happened almost a month ago, and we've only had about two deliveries come at the time they're supposed to. We're supposed to get two deliveries a week, Sunday and Thursday at 3:30 PM. I start work to prepare the store to receive them at 2 PM.

The truck's been there any time from 9:30 AM the day of, to 1:30 PM the day after. This past Sunday, 1 PM, I got a call from my boss saying "the truck's going to be late, so wait until you get a call from us before you do anything". I get a call at 5:30 AM (Monday) saying that the truck's going to be there sometime that afternoon. I've been loving exhausted this past month because these drat trucks are never there on time. I've been called in at 2 AM to do the delivery twice now. I can't loving do this anymore.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I just get really loving horrible indigestion and heartburn at work.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

Why dance around it? "Arbeit Macht Frei"

Try to work the name of the store into it as well. Everyone loves a good Holocaust pun.

On Sunday we managed to unload a 7 skid order in 1:35. That was great: under 15 minutes a skid is a good par. Thursday's order was 4 skids, and it took us two hours. We have an extra 31 cases of cookies which we definitely do not have room for, but it's for an upcoming promotion, so we apparently need them a month in advance. It also doesn't loving help that the entire top half of one of the skids looked like it had a drat chainsaw taken to it. One box wasn't even a box anymore, it was just a few scraps of cardboard. The bag containing the product was intact, so I can't even damage it back to the warehouse. The chucklefucks at the warehouse built it so poorly that it nearly fell over on the way from the truck to the back door, and we needed to prop up one side with the pallet truck while we were unloading it. What a loving shitshow. Doesn't help that the freezer floor is perpetually a skating rink, which I've already slipped on twice.

I'm getting really loving tired of people not putting things back in their proper location, then wondering why we have 3 open boxes of the same product.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Don't you just love it when the previous shift fucks up so colossally that it takes you two hours to fix? The morning shift took the temperatures of all the product in the sandwich bar, found it was all above acceptable limits, then proceeded to do sweet gently caress-all about it. When I get on there, everything's been in there far longer than is allowed, so I end up having to throw out a shitton of stuff, which then means that I barely have enough time to do what I have to do. Thanks, guys, now go get shot.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

The people Tim Hortons has working in their warehouses are literally retarded. In the past week, they've sent us frozen drink cups in place of boxes for bulk orders of coffee, cases of simple syrup instead of hot chocolate (which is a real pain in the dick because one of the featured items this month is the hot chocolate), some cleaning fluid we have never seen before and have no idea what it's for, 5 other products that weren't on the pallets at all, and pallets stacked so high that they can't fit through the door of the truck. They also can't remember our store number and keep writing the number for a store in Newfoundland instead.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Buggiezor posted:

I wasn't sure if that was the law or not though.

It is. Referring to "water pipes" as "bongs" in an area where marijuana is illegal means that you intend to use them for illegal purposes. It's the same reason people who sell liquor must refuse all sales where it's even implied that it's being purchased for a minor.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

baquerd posted:

While I generally agree with you, there is something to be said for repetition. When I did drive through at a fast food place, I knew with a good 80% accuracy what I was probably going to be given and what change I should have ready, as well as the amount for "even" change I would need to be handed. It's fun to have the change ready as they're paying, get some funny looks. I think anyone who's paying attention and cares at all about figuring out change amounts on the fly can get pretty good at it, as you say it doesn't take a math genius to do.

Yeah, it took me about a good month or so on the job before I was able to calculate change for most orders before the customer has come up to the drive-thru window. Now I can get a handful of change, swipe through it a bit and know exactly how much I'm holding (unless they've done something like give me a shitload of change). My bosses set up one of those change dispensers, and I hate using it. It takes me less time to assess how much is in my hand, hit "Round to next dollar" (because we don't have an "Exact change" button for some silly reason), and grab the change out of the drawer than it does to type in exactly how much is in my hand into the computer. Getting rid of the penny has hosed with it a bit, as well. Still, I much prefer not having to deal with those contemptuous shits anymore.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Paywave/pass is amazing, but it's always funny that the commercials have people taking the cards out of their wallet, so now 95% of people think it won't work unless it's out of their wallet. I've only ever seen a few people tap their wallet on the reader. Obviously if you have multiple cards, you'll want to take it out, but why have the extra step? I should see about getting one of those Flash-enabled debit cards.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

My boss is a complete dumbass. He never has the schedules out until about 12 hours before the schedules start, and has no idea where things are supposed to go, yet harasses the inventory people as to why things are in the wrong spot. They aren't in the wrong place; they came off the truck on the refrigerated skid, and so they go in the fridge, not the freezer. I'm about ready to just quit this job because I'm sick of this poo poo.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I don't have the giant feet that some of you do, but I still had to fight my boss to let me use shoes not in the catalogue provided. I wear a size 6EEE, and the manufacturer I can order from through work doesn't make that size, and I would have to get a size 9 wide in order for it not to bind my feet. Pain in the rear end.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

LibbyM posted:

Myself and a couple other people were at Tim Horton's today, and one of us ordered this new sandwich that comes with this bread with all this herb topping stuff. I didn't eat one but the bread seemed nice enough. Herbs got loving everywhere all over the table we were eating at, and being polite we swept them up into our wrappers to throw out with everything. But having worked in Food Services before all I could think about was how much of a nightmare this new sandwich must be. Even the customers who are decent enough to throw out their garbage probably don't take the time to deal with the herbs.

I know every food has a potential to create some mess, but holy poo poo just EVERYWHERE with that new sandwich. Like some kind of herb bomb. Cleaning the dining room must be a bitch now.

It would be better if the buns came with the herbs already baked in, but it's just the plain white bun that gets the top half powdered in stuff before we throw it in the oven. And yes, we have to start sweeping the dining area a lot more now.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

There's a woman named Tanya at the store I work in. She's the single most passive-aggressive person I've met. A memo went out thanking a supervisor for working 24 hours in a 36 hour period (I have my own problems with this, but now is not the time). She felt fit to write on the posted memo that she had worked 9 days in a row because people called in sick. She's been written up twice in the span of two weeks for arguing with co-workers, customers, management, pretty much everyone. She gets all uptight if you even touch her workstation, offers things to customers that we can't possibly back up, and is entirely unpleasant to work with. She got all pissy during a rush because something was running low, and instead of filling it up herself, she just bitched out the drive-thru staff for not having it filled. Drive-thru was already understaffed and didn't have time to step away to do anything. Literally everyone I've talked to has no idea why she hasn't been fired yet.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

Apparently, despite her bitching about it, she's the only one willing to work 9 days in a row to cover for people who call off :v:

She isn't, though. Plenty of people have worked 9 in a row, especially now. A lot of her shifts are 5 hours anyway. She wants recognition for nothing special.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

We're doing the big fundraiser for our house charity today, and all week we've been pushing for donations. Some woman came in, saw we were collecting cash, then asked if we had any money to give to HER charity. She then proceeded to get incredibly upset when the supervisor on duty wasn't able to give her any money. I have no idea what that was about.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I've lost all confidence in one of the supervisors. She's already done things like ask me to finish her jobs, which would have forced me to stay late playing catchup. Today, she pulled a person out of the back, off their break, to answer the ringing phone she was two steps away from. Apparently the store owner was on the phone, and she's been chewed out for this same bullshit, so hopefully she gets fired over this. She's utterly incompetent.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Had a woman in the drive-through get absolutely furious that she had to roll down her window in the rain in order to place an order. She wanted us to put up an umbrella or canopy, and wouldn't hear any arguments against why that's a bad idea. It's just water, you aren't going to melt.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Retail Slave posted:

I think I've still got an old Walmart receipt around from when I worked there. Some stupid new Elmo toy had come out (Elmo's greatest hits or something) and it was abbreviated on the receipt as ELMO S HITS.

It was a source of great amusement for the entire front end for a few days after that.

For about 2 days the order screen entry for the spicy chicken sandwich was SPIC CHKN.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Someone on morning crew likes to see a 5-tall stack of boxes and open the box in the middle. Morning crew is staffed by idiots.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Jingleheimer posted:

I know exactly what you mean. The guy who stocks milk in the morning never rotates it correctly, I keep bringing it up to management but nothing ever gets done.

This is a complaint as well, but I specifically mean poo poo like this:

These people are loving shitheads.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

A parent can't buy an adult game for their child? What hellhole is this?

Yes, there's certainly no precedent for refusing sales of age-restricted products if there's a suspicion that it will go to someone underage

That's why we have all those 13-year-olds buying porno mags, Jack, and duMauriers

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have to get out of this place. Between not enough hours for too little pay, corporate has decided that they need to tighten the belt, so their customer service has been destroyed (first, all the non-bilingual CSRs in Kingston and Guelph were fired, then Montreal's call centre was shuttered, and apparently most of the rest of the CSRs in Kingston and Guelph were just fired as well). For items that didn't get shipped properly, used to be that you could ask for it to be rushed out, and they'd send it up on a truck going nearby the next day. Now, the "rush shipment" will only ever show up on the next scheduled delivery date. This doesn't help when the fuckheads at the warehouse do stupid poo poo like forget 7 out of the 10 boxes of coffee that we ordered, or scrape the skids against the side of the trailer and gently caress up 8 boxes across 3 skids, or grab the wrong box, etc. Now the store's going to be short on product, which affects sales, which then gets corporate on the store's rear end about numbers.

Also, they've put in new returns policies, from returning just about anything that's in resellable condition to excluding anything off the frozen or fridge shipments and anything that costs less than $20 per unit, with a 20% restocking fee on pretty much anything else. If you accidentally miss the Tab key while putting in the order and receive 11 cases of bagels, you're poo poo out of luck. Don't have anywhere to put them? They don't care, they have their money, gently caress you.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

The Boy Scouts have been hanging around my store now, too. At both the entrance and exit, so every time I go in or out I get propositioned to buy either popcorn or some kind of jerky.

Like okay, whatever, but you've seen me walk in and out six times today alone in four hours and I'm in uniform, I don't need you to ask me every time. You can obviously tell I work here.

Can't you talk to the scoutmaster? When I worked at a place that would have girl guides or scouts set up, they had always been specifically told not to ask the people in uniform. I'd usually get asked once on my way in, and once on my way out. I couldn't imagine being pestered every time I went out to collect carts.

I don't understand the thought process that would lead a coworker to come up to a hot chocolate machine I'm cleaning, look at it all in pieces, continue to try to make a hot chocolate, hear me say "don't press the button", then go ahead and hit the button and make a huge mess as hot water and powder shoots everywhere. It's baffling.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

"Kid does kid thing, annoys old man yelling at cloud"

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

...no. First, the Scanning Code is entirely voluntary. Second, if an item isn't priced properly at a participating retailer, you are only entitled to the listed price or half off the regular price, whichever is greater.

I've only ever seen it used to harass employees, never to the benefit of a customer.

Nah, the scanning code of practice functions exactly as he described. It is voluntary, but if that sign is visible, you get $10 off the price it's supposed to scan at. A $70 SD card on sale for $60 that still scans at $70 is now $50.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Wow you could not have missed what I'm saying any harder.

you say nothing of value anyway

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Tell her that, for her own safety, she is not allowed to go through because the floor is wet and there's shards of glass everywhere. If she asks for a manager, tell her that you can't leave this mess unattended because the floor is wet and there's loving shards of glass everywhere. It's easier to deal with an annoyed customer than an injured one.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

The general manager has decreed that the afternoon staff can only start preparing food for next day after 7pm. Afternoon staff universally ends at 11pm. This gives us 4 hours in which the person doing prep must finish it all (this includes staging 30 bundles of bacon, 30 bundles of sliced cheese, and portioning 15 bags of meat, among others) while also having to serve customers on storefront. In addition, they've added more things to prep onto the list.

The general manager's justification for this is "it works at the other store". Of course it does; I do inventory for both stores, and the other store gets half as much stock as this one. Now the store manager is on everyone because overtime's gone way up because someone has to stay late to finish your impossible tasks, you dumb rear end in a top hat.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

New store went up, and whichever fuckhead designed the parking lot needs to never design anything again. The receiving door is on the other side of the parking lot from the closest possible dropping point, so the driver has to sit in the middle of the main road through the plaza, drop the skid, then wheel it through a parking lot and through the drive-thru lane. There's also a curb separating the lot and drive-thru lane, which has one part you can get through, and if someone's in the space in front of it, you're SOL until you find them and get them to move. All told, it's about 30m from the drop point to the door, which is ridiculous.

The way the store is set up, the skid can be wheeled inside and processed in the building, which would be nice if there was enough clearance to get the drat thing in the building. See, they built the garbage enclosures behind the store as well, and they're too close to the door to allow the jack to be wheeled in with the skid. This also presents another problem where the aforementioned hole in the curb is also how the garbage truck gets to the dumpster. If someone's in that parking space when they show up, they will just leave. They won't come back either, and I don't loving blame them.

I can't loving believe anyone signed off on this.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

ijii posted:

I hate shoes for crews with a passion. The underside of every one of their lovely shoes has tiny crevices, which allows food debris to get caught in it, making it the opposite of slip resistant. It makes the shoes becomes nasty underneath so I have to take a hose to it to clean it after every shift. Also those pieces of poo poo crack every 6 months. I stopped using SFC junk a long time ago after two pairs failed me and almost killed me twice.

I work meat department, so I constantly had meat particles build up in the crevices (fat and meat dust). Those shoes goes from slip resistant to super slippery. So one day I was cutting something on the meat saw when my footing went right out from under me always severing my whole hand. Another time I was off stacking a pallet of 80 lb boxes of meat, as I approached the wall my foot flew forward and I fell back awkwardly with the heavy box nearly crushing me at the same time.

We are required to where certified slip resistant shoes, so every so often our safety coordinator goes around and checks to see if we need slip resistant shoe covers (a recently new thing) or to get something slip resistant shoes and always suggests the shoes for crews. I just laugh at her and say that shoe for crews is a liability and will not endanger my life over their cheap poo poo that I have to pay for. My work boots from a shoe store have been doing me good for over 5 years now.

SFC stocks only a few styles of shoes I can wear (although that's not really their fault because I have weird 6EEE feet, so I have to get a 7.5E). I've tried them all, and they've all become irreparably damaged within 6 months. One pair was so lovely that the upper broke in two above my toes. Eventually I just forked out the $100 for a pair of 6EEE non-slips from a good store and I've had those a year and a half.

Inco fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

It should also be illegal to date things using Julian codes and any other type of not-really-a-date code.

Julian dates aren't really that hard to approximate. It's just x mod 30, where x is the Julian date, the quotient+1 is the month, and the remainder is the day of that month.