Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I've been working as a part time bag boy for the last three months which I know isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things, but I was just wondering if there was an easier way to simply transfer to another department such as the deli or the bakery without having to send in another official job application and what not. I realize that this is a question specifically suited for a manager to answer, but I was kind of embarrassed to ask since I haven't been working long to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

It depends on the store. Everywhere I've worked pretty much locks you in for your first 90 days, then you're free to transfer. Big box retail didn't require me to submit applications to change departments, but the hardware store did, for every position I even tried for.

It's a Kroger Ralphs, and trying to google "how to transfer departments in ralphs" just links me to "Ralphs Transfer" which is something else lol.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ooh ooh, after three months on the job, I finally encountered something that I could post here:
was on cart duty so I'm outside pulling in carts. We have the regular sized carts you find everywhere and also these weird small carts with two baskets on top of each other. The two cart types are very clearly incompatible with one another in terms of being able to be stacked in together, so we have a clearly designated space next to the regular cart deposit. Unfortunately some snot nosed boy scouts had set up camp in that area to sell popcorn and chips a la girl scout cookie style (what the gently caress, when did boy scouts start getting in on this money fleecing business too?) So while I'm pulling out a stack of the small carts in the regular cart area, this one guy comes out the store and idles right behind me. Right after I pull out the carts and put them in another clearly visible area nearby, he pushes his used small cart right back into the area I pulled them out of, smiles at me to acknowledge that he has done a good deed and walks away. Thanks dude, you're a real swell guy.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Customers today have been a nightmare. I don't know what's going on. Today's favorite:

This honestly sounds kind of complicated the way you typed it out. So am I imagining this right, saying you can't add Base C to Base A/B is because there's just more paint volume in those two compared to C? Or are the volumes all uniform, just that C has less "stuff" floating around in it so you could jam a bit more color material into it and bump it up to A/B? If it's the former, what's stopping the business from just altering the ratios so that it is possible to add more paint to each container? If the latter, then I can sort of understand why she wasn't getting you since all you said to her asking why was basically "because it wouldn't" (based off of your post).

Also idk, maybe she was going to paint a mural outside or something. It's kinda snobbish to scoff at using the "wrong" kind of paint for art (lovely customers notwithstanding).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I figured out who AbrahamLincolnLog's customer was: [link]

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DLTN posted:

my store just got a new manager who just decreed that all part timers are to get no more than 10 hours per week. i just got sent home after a 1.5 hour shift. this is too much.

more time to shitpost on somethingawful imo

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

On a related note, I've managed to "promote" from courtesy clerk up to cheese monger, I'm going to monger all the cheeses

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This time it didn't have to!

GARBAGE DAY

All told, it was still better than working front of house on a bad senior day.

The lack of any details on maggots or bugs thereof surprises me.

e: I guess my own experience is clouding my judgment. Since we only have a regular sized grocery store, we have dumpsters outside in the back. Today I was called in because apparently a bunch of people were neglecting to actually put their trash in the dumpster and they told me to take care of it. Most of the bags were nowhere near what Nerdy had to deal with, but near the end I'm pretty sure the sacks that came from the meat department weighed more in maggots than actual refuse. There was actually one bag that basically had a Castlevania Legion sphere of maggots all writhing in some ungodly unison.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 2, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pumpy Dumper posted:

At my work every delivery driver has to sign in before they're even allowed to start unloading the truck

My store requires a staff supervising the unloaders at all times, and this is honestly the one job I'm going to miss after I graduate from courtesy clerk because it was literally a two hour chunk of time where you stood around doing nothing but shooting the shits with the other truck drivers.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't use public toilets. (Okay maybe once or twice when I've literally had food poisoning). I don't even use the staff toilets at work. I can quite comfortably go 10 or so hours without using the bathroom, and I drink ~5 litres of water a day. I just have an intense disliking of public toilets. Generally, I'll pee when I get up, then not again till the evening after work, when I'll pee several times between getting home and bed. I generally take one crap a day, late in the evening. It's just a matter of training your body so that you need the bathroom at the same time each day, much like what you do with a pet dog.

Here are the common supermarket trip scenarios:

Buy groceries on your way home from work - pee before you leave work.

Integrate grocery shopping with the school pickup run - you'll probably only be away from home 2-3 hours, pee before you leave home. Your kids can pee before they leave school.

Going out somewhere (movie, beach, park,etc) before shopping - those places have toilets. Pee there.

Spending the whole day shopping - likely you'll be in a big mall, which will have toilets.

Same except years of hourlong classes in school has trained me to have to pee literally every hour between 10am-4pm and working during that time is total agony :smith:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Running out of food items? Psh. Amateur hour. For a real good time, run out of shopping bags. :shepface:

When you run out of paper bags, nobody really cares except the people who are a pain in the rear end to begin with.

When you're out of plastic bags, every single customer will react with dismayed confusion, even though they just saw the same thing play out with the last two customers in your line. And then you have to bag everything in paper.

The last week I worked as a courtesy clerk, we ran out of all paper, plastic, and reusable tote bags for four days. We had to costco it up with boxes and just weather through the customers who bitched at us for being unprepared.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Simsmagic posted:

I work in the front end of a grocery store, and management decided to schedule a skeleton crew for today because it's black friday, why would anyone want to go shopping for food?

Imagine our surprise when it turns out lots of people are doing exactly that.

i'm excited for work in an hour

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Murphys Law posted:

And pretty much anytime I go grocery shopping I'll see something somewhere that it doesn't belong. Once I saw something in a freezer that wasn't frozen food. Why?

one genius last week left a raw chicken on top of a bunch of our specialty cheeses and of course it started leaking

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what's wrong with putting bread in with the pumpkin?

by whole pumpkin, do you mean like an actual big jack-o-lanternable pumpkin? if then, why even put that in a bag to begin with?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The only sort of drama I've gone through recently is that a coworker always greets me with "*Name*, my Asian brother, ching ching walla walla bing bang!" And this one crazy lady who vehemently refused to accept the managers offer to help her find some warm toasted walnuts (???) because "this poo poo nosed kid is the one I asked to help me."

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

grimcreaper posted:

Today was a fun day. This has been one of those Christmases that you hear about but never see.

Almost every customer is pissed off about something. Employees are freaking out and being awful to each other... it's odd. So much anger is depressing to deal with.

We have a few associates who are having a sort of bake off for tomorrow to lift people's spirits. So atleast some good is happening.

Out of curiosity, anyone else have this issue? Most of the associates seem to think I want to hear about their past. the wierd "let me tell you my life story and why this affects me" kinda stuff. You know, the stuff that most people would pretty much only tell a close friend or family member and sometimes not even then? The darker parts of their past kinda stories that are horribly depressing and sad.
While taking my break I sat outside and one of the new cashiers came out and sat next to me. She asked a few questions on if this Christmas is normal and stuff and then full broke out into some really horribly depressing stuff about herself... I had no idea what to say or do... she just sat there sobbing for a little while.

The stories these people tell me.. holy poo poo do they sometimes put my life into perspective. The poo poo I've seen, the people I've lost... a lot of it pales in comparison to the stuff in some of these people's stories.

"Retail... retail never changes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Picnic Princess posted:

It's super cool customers were nice tonight, wishing us Merry Christmas, and expressing sympathy that we were open until 9, but if they could have just put items back where they found them, it would have been nice. As friendly as they are, it's frustrating when they just make a huge mess out of laziness or stupidity or complete lack of awareness of how much it annoys others.

my day was going really good (busy, but actually good), until 2 minutes before I shifted out of closing and one crone walked up and quite literally threw off all the parchment paper covering the olive bar and yell asked me how she was supposed to get some olives without spoons.