Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I seem to recall the tale of a goon who would go into Target or Best Buy or whatever, wearing the team colours, and would respond to customers as if he were an extremely disgruntled employee.

So, I guess that's one way to get your retail frustrations out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I wonder what would happen if you said, "Whatever gives you that idea?"

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Taco Pirate posted:

:byodood: or whistled at me like I'm their drat dog.

Of all the things I had encountered in my days as a retail drone, that was the one thing almost got a motherfucker's nose broke.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I had one old lady tell me, while I was ringing her stuff up, that she used to be pretty. That she really was sumthin', blah blah blah. Apparently, I looked skeptical, because she pulled a god-damned picture of herself out of her purse and thrust it in my face.

In the picture, a topless, young woman in a beehive, black undies, and some kind of boots is all laid out on a leather couch like, "Hey, mister."

So, yeah. I just :stare:'d until she put it away and left.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
All those registers at Walmart are just a cheap way to give the customers the illusion of quick service, I guess. I've never seen more than a third of them open at any given time.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
They paid you to waste their time. What's wrong with that?

Has anyone else ever had a customer call 911 on them?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Oh, boy. This was a while ago, so the details aren't fresh, but here's the 911 story.

I worked at a truck stop. Truck drivers have all kinds of wacky payment methods for the insane amount of fuel they go through. One of the more common ones is the "fuel card". I don't actually know how they work, only that we had to call a toll-free number, and be assisted by a nice lady in a penitentiary call centre, when a transaction wouldn't go through on the register. Another thing about these cards is that a bunch of fun numbers have to be entered and matched up with the card issuer's info on that particular card. If you fudge one or miss one, the payment won't go through.

So, some Russian dude comes in, and I ring him up. (NOTE: He wants to pre-auth. Hasn't pumped anything). He gives me all his numbers. No sale. Okay, so I try again. No sale. Then, he starts getting all cocky like, "C'mon, guy! You new? Where is this guy that knows what he doing?" I am that guy, so that pissed me off. Anyway, time to call the nice lady at the call centre. She tells me that one of the numbers doesn't match up. Turns out it's a new card. Sometimes, dispatch/management screws things up when they have hundreds of drivers to give new cards to. Ah.

So, I tell Russian dude to call his boss and get the right number from him. If he can't, his boss has to call the call centre and find out what it is, then relay to driver, who relays to me. Russian dude will not do this. He stands off to the side of the register, glaring at me, for 15 minutes. I call the call centre three more times, at Russian's behest. Same response every damned time.

The kid I was working with comes back from jerking off in the shower room or something. I tell him what's going on, he tells me it's not his problem, and I gently caress off for 20 minutes or so because serving all the customers and dealing with angry Russian was stressful.

So, I come back, and kid looks like his salad was shat in. He leaves again. Russian thought I was discussing with my manager how to best serve him in this situation. It's Saturday. No manager. He returns to angry glaring for a few minutes, then tells me that this is really poor customer service, and the rest of it he didn't get to spit out, because I'd suddenly found a spine.

NO, YOU LISTEN TO ME, FUCKHEAD. I TOLD YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEEDED TO DO IN ORDER FOR THIS TO GO THROUGH. YOU DIDN'T LISTEN. YOU CAN STAND THERE ALL DAY. I DON'T GIVE A poo poo.

You...you swear to me! You swear to me, uh? I call police. I call 911.

DO IT.

So, he does. He picks up the pay phone and screams incomprehensibly into it. Two cruisers come right away because they don't know what the gently caress. They spend 45 minutes getting this guy off my lot. Half of this was Russian telling them what a big meanie I was to him.

(I see I've jumped tenses a bunch. I just woke up. Don't kill me.)

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Moneyball posted:

As I move my hand towards where the receipt is printed out, I say "Would you like a bag for that?"

Hey, that reminds me of the time I rolled out of bed, stumbled straight to work, and asked my first customer if he wanted a bag for his purchase...of 500 litres of diesel fuel.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Unless it's Michael Buble. I used to have to call a place that played nothing but Buble while you were on hold. For some reason, he's less aggravating.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I'm not that horrible, but there was a few years where, every damned time I dumped my stuff on the belt at checkout, I'd realize that I'd forgotten one stupid thing. Ugh.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Do you get a lot of couples coming in, and it's like, "Hello, sir. My wife has informed me that I am purchasing a dining room table, today. Please, for the love of God, sell me a dining room table"?

e: Oh, I got one!
Finish ringing up stuff for customer, and customer says, "So, how much do you owe me?"

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 20, 2012

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Nessa posted:

I couldn't really understand what they were asking, I just assumed they needed something to be charged. All they could really say was "Can you? This?" I told them to go down to the electronics store downstairs, as they might be able to help them better. It was very odd.

Reminded me of a hardware store regular from years ago. It took me all of maybe 15 seconds to figure out the guy was stone deaf. Even after I told my co-workers this, they'd continue with the LOOOOUD SLOOOOW TAAAALK and exaggerated gestures. He's not loving retarded, he just can't hear you. :eng99:

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Kind Milkman posted:

And it has to be my fault if I'm tied up with a customer and a guy runs out the door (about 60 feet away) with a cart full of booze.

Is this one of those wine shop deals you see in the grocery stores, or bottles of booze just hanging out on the shelves with everything else? If the latter, Wal-mart is retarded. Also, I feel for you. That has to be the worst place to work overnights.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

It makes no sense what so ever.

Natural selection. Maybe we shouldn't be so hard on Walmart. :D

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Reasons I once again desire to work retail:

-Almost broke.
-On welfare.
-Contemplating :suicide:

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

spixxor posted:

Also I'm kind of dreading having to go into a whole new store with all new people and managers. What if they such worse than the ones here? :sigh:

I did this, recently. Went from median employee age of 25 to 45-50, hardass manager to snivelling passive-aggressive manager, super cool, professional assisnt manager to immature, retarded AM.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

-Troika- posted:

I just saw an old woman squat and lay a turd on the floor in the supermarket, then call an employee over and demand they pick it up for her. :staredog:

Was she taking it home with her?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
The customers that always made me the angriest were the ones that would pull out a handful of change, hold it out, and make me pick the loving money out of their hands. Every one of them did it with a poo poo-eating grin, too. Always old men. gently caress them.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

baquerd posted:

The idea is that if you're over, you've been stealing from the customers by nickel and diming them and you just got caught/did the math wrong that day.

I knew people that did something like this. They didn't bother punching things in, depending on the customer, and would give the customer a deal on things. You sell he same crap long, enough, you know what singular items and common combinations of items cost. So, they would charge $7 instead of $7.86, etc, and keep a tab. The money would go on top of/beside/under the till until the next customer was rung up properly, then the money would go in the till. Scam money was kept separate, occasionally counted and changed for bills. There was one little spot, on the way to the room where tills were counted, where there was no camera coverage. Bills go in pocket. Till would always be over, but management couldn't figure out why.

I was a "good" employee, so I was never let in on it. Half of my co-workers made $35,000/year, and I didn't even know it.

Speaking of liquids in trash cans, why don't fast food places and movie theatres have a thing beside the garbage can for you to dump ice and drinks in?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

ThreeFish posted:

I also had a guy stand to the side of my register and hold an imaginary business call while he wouldn't let me ring up his Gatorade until he was done. For like 45 mins. His clothes were covered in dirt and he was making me nervous. I think he may have been lonely :(

So, you didn't put his poo poo off to the side and help someone else?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Stellar Curiosity posted:

http://youtu.be/bRdo7WXTVoM

My anthem these days. It should be the anthem of all retail workers. Put it to 11 and rock out. (...if you have the energy)

Has more of a blue-collar flavour, but I likes The Workers' Song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQfGTDyjVSE

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Stop serving the Retail Gods well. Retail was driving me loving insane until I realized that THE BAR IS IMPOSSIBLY LOW. All the drunks and pillheads and entitled retards that populate retail aren't losing their jobs anytime soon, and you know it. Stop giving a poo poo. Stop rushing, stop stressing, and stop enabling your managers when they try to call you in on a day you aren't scheduled.

Stop acting like you're going to get a Biggest Cumchugger trophy and a raise from corporate any day now. You're making minimum wage, your job isn't secure, and you are getting no benefits. Act like it.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

You perform work, they give you money in exchange. That's where it ends. A company can by all means attempt to entice it's employees to shop there by offering a staff discount, but an employee is not the property of the company, they are free people who can do whatever the gently caress they want, and shop wherever the gently caress they want.

I like to phrase it as, "You pretend you give a poo poo, and they pretend you're not worthless."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
drat. I worked with a dude who got caught twice in one week selling cigs to a minor, and neither he nor the store got in any kind of poo poo.

e: Yes, it was the regional health unit that busted him both times.