Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Got an email from the highest paying semi-entry level local IT company today. They want to schedule me for a technical pre-screen for a Windows tech support position (not call center poo poo, professional level support) for one of their products. It's a big deal - this is a pretty big multinational company, and this position starts at $45k; I'm making less than $20k now. I know I can do the job since I know plenty of other people who work there and they tell me exactly what it's like. In fact, I taught a friend of mine who works there how to diagnose and troubleshoot computers, and I know much more than he does about this sort of thing in particular.

Wish me luck, guys. I have a chance to get out of this hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Card old ladies always. They love it.

Old men, not so much.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Faerunner posted:

Oh, mark-ups. Such a headache hearing customers say "So, how much are you making on this item? :smuggo:"

I don't know and I don't care, dude. You're not getting it any cheaper just because you think you know what it cost us to import from China.

Lady came in the other day asking for a roller shade with a scalloped hem from Brand A. We only sell Brand B's plain-hem roller shades in stock. She kept insisting in this soft, worried voice that she had purchased her desired Brand A shade, in cream, at our store, "Before". She would not tell me how long ago she had purchased them. Would not answer my questions about whether she wanted a special order shade instead. Would not comprehend that we simply do not sell Brand A off the shelf, or accept that I helpfully suggested (my mistake, I should have been more sure/forceful) twice that she might have gotten them at the other big-box home improvement store. She just kept wandering around the aisle poking at the roller shade selection like she was lost and plaintively insisting that she had bought them "here" and "before". I tried showing her the stuff from Brand A that is special-order and she just insisted she had bought them off the shelf last time. I tried showing her Brand B that we have on the shelf, to which she responded by first telling me they weren't right and then giving me her window measurements and then repeating them four times when I asked her if she wanted me to cut her an off-the-shelf roller shade, without ever saying "Yes, I would like you to cut this for me." or "No, thanks."

After asking AGAIN and getting "43 inches, 43 inches, 43 and 1/4 inches, I got them here before!" (punctuated by waving a roller shade vaguely in my direction) as a response, I gave up on direct communication and ran away to ask my department head, who helpfully confirmed that it is in fact our competitor who sells Brand A. I went back and told the customer that My Department Head confirmed it was the other store, and she just shut up and meandered away. I could understand that maybe she felt embarrassed to have been insisting she got her shades from the wrong store but why couldn't she give me even one straight answer when I asked her all those questions? Also, do bright orange aprons and bright blue vests look that similar, or are customers just that goddamn blind to what their lowly servicepeople are wearing? This is not the first customer I have had completely confuse our store for the other one. We aren't even near each other!

:psyduck:

Real quotes I have heard from customers:
"You're wearing a uniform?" no lady, my shirt has Best Buy on it because it's my style.
"I don't know who helped me before, they all look the same..."

It's that they don't pay attention. Or even, really, think of us as humans.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I've had a few customers go from guaranteed sales to having to work for it because I forgot them from last week (or whatever). So I guess I'm as bad as they are.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Stores account for losses and have insurance to protect against said losses.

Don't be a hero.

uh buddy I don't think he was in serious risk of being shot with a gun

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Leal posted:

So I've been a merchandiser for almost 4 years now. I've built more displays then I can count.

But until today I have never had a customer stomp my loving display. I set this down, walked into the back of the store to get the remaining parts and in the minute it took me to do that some rear end in a top hat kicked or stomped my display.

I recognize those displays! Sup blueshirt buddy. I'm recently not employed by Best Buy, and it is great being on the other side.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, I know. My family is military. Not one of them lacks stories of total retardation from servicemembers.

But the pay is better, and I'll put up with a lot for financial stability. This casual/part-time bullshit has me slipping further and further into debt and enlistment is the only way out of it I can find.

Between a rock and a hard place. I hope you land in a nice cushy position making lots of money for little work.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm moving from retail sales to flavor R&D at my company (an ecig store) which is awesome, because I hate customers. With that I get a raise and the ability to make my own hours and not have to wear a company polo.

Life away from Best Buy is nice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

LGD posted:

Unless you live in one of the 5 states that don't have a sales tax. Which own, but are also generally a) small and b) "weird" relative to the rest of the US.

In Oregon, we don't have sales tax, and you can't pump your own gas. What the hell?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

White or off-white. Are there even other options?

Black shows less stains, but the red ones flush harder. Green saves water, of course.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Faerunner posted:

Got told I was $30k below my sales goal at my last review.

Hahahaha.

How coincidental, I'm about $30k behind my wage goal.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 20, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I work at a store that sells e-cigarettes. We wrap customers' coils for free (which is necessary maintenance on a rebuildable, which is a pretty popular category of product in this town).

If you come in with your three buddies and ask me to wrap all of your coils, at least show some drat appreciation. Say thank you, or pay attention, or something. It takes about 10 minutes for each of them, start to finish, and my attention is entirely occupied during that time.

Oh, and you, guy who loves to come in 5 minutes before close with a poo poo-eating grin and wants a custom juice recipe made and a coil wrapped? gently caress you, that adds another 15 minutes to my close, and I know you can come in anytime (the guy works at the barber shop across the street, and gets off 4 hours before we close. I see him walking home after his shift in the part of the day when we have no customers for a solid hour).

It's still better than corporate retail.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

Talk to your mom when you clock out.

Why not treat workers with human decency and let them have a few minutes to speak with their loved ones?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

Because you're at work to... get this... work. Not talk on the phone.

On the clock, they sure should be.

Yes, you're at work to work, but does that mean that there can be no deviation from that? Your coworkers/subordinates (not sure of your position) are people too, and sometimes family stuff comes up. If you were on your break and when your precise 15 minutes were up your mom was in tears talking about long-simmering resentments between your dad and her might be splitting up the marriage, wouldn't you stay on the phone?

A little leeway and respect is a great way to get people's best efforts. Treat them like professional adults and you'll get a much better response than if you punish them like recalcitrant schoolchildren who were hiding in the playground when recess was over.

I've been both manager and subordinate at several businesses, by the way. I've seen both ways happen, and the way you're treating that person is a great way to drive morale through the loving floor.

e: this attitude is why this thread exists, by the way.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 31, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

There is a girl I work with who insisted she was being targetted by the manager for write-ups, so she was denied a transfer to another store. That he said she kept leaving early and that wasn't acceptable and....and she admitted that once in a while (like once a week) she miiiight leave ten minutes early if it was slow. But she wouldn't ask, she would just close her register and leave. So the manager was right, but she insisted she only left a few times and it was slow so who cares? This came to a head when she had a family emergency and needed to leave four hours early...and the manager refused, saying if she did leave she would be fired because of all her earlier going home early.

She's also confided in me that her 9 year old son has been suspended twice this school year already. School has been in session a month. He was suspended last quarter too, for refusing to listen to the teacher, for being disruptive and wandering the halls, and finally telling the principal he wouldn't get in trouble because he wasn't afraid of the man. The guy called the cops, according to my coworker, downplaying the fact her kid was loving running through the hallways, destroying poo poo, and screaming at teachers.

This last suspension was because he was caught throwing food in the cafeteria. Grapes. "loving grapes!" she told me. "Like their floors aren't loving dirty, they have to clean it all anyway, and now they want him expelled!"

It's like....I can't even. Nothing is ever her fault or her kid's fault. I almost want to see her as a customer somewhere and how bad the poo poo can really get.

That sounds like a really irresponsible person raising a really irresponsible child. I would have put them on final warning, too - if you want to leave early, clear it with a manager!

They were setting up a pattern of negligence. That's when I start to retract the treatment of them as professional, because they clearly aren't, and can't stand up the responsibility of such treatment. However, a few extra minutes on break for a family phone call, not a big deal.

That kid is going to be a terrible customer some day, and an even worse employee.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mooktastical posted:

I got an attendance point at my last job for coming back from lunch at exactly 7 seconds after the 3 minute grace period had forsaken me. They happen to be in the same building of my current employer, and actually raised wages higher than where I'm working now, but I wouldn't go back because of that poo poo exactly.

Also, Bude is a colossal dickhole. Read his post history. I mean, maybe employers in Australia are legitimately deserving of such strict adherence to things like time clocks, shrink (theft) policy, and dress codes. I wouldn't know because I've only ever lived in the states. Anyone that tries to apply the thinking in a place where the minimum wage is actually somewhat close to a living wage to the US is intellectually dishonest.

All that being said, I definitely feel like what you're saying doesn't apply you're being counted on to perform a duty that would fall upon someone else's shoulders, like in the post Bude quoted. That guy was a loving rear end in a top hat, full stop. There's clearly a middle ground between policing every scant second spent not working and not on an official break, and just "taking a poo poo" for giant portions of time where you're actually needed. Morale breaks down in either case.

Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone and multi quoting is a massive pain in the rear end.

If you are slacking on your duties, you deserve to be reprimanded, and your behavior needs to be altered. I completely agree. I don't think being a stickler is an effective way to ensure a happy, hard working staff - instead, make a note of when they mess up and who it affects, and if it isn't a solitary incident, explain to them that each employee needs to pull their weight. That's one write up. They are making work harder for those around them, and sometimes they need that said out loud before they really understand it. If they don't change, start looking for replacements.

Essentially, I'm advocating a management style based less on restrictions and violations and more based on overall performance and responsibility. If each member of your team is essentially reliable, even if one has a bad day or week, the others will be there to pick up the slack, and they know that that will be reciprocated if need be.

I do agree that the guy in the quote was being a dick, upon rereading. I would start trying to replace that person.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mooktastical posted:

Yep. The prisoner paradox is a big deal. The most preferred situation is where everyone is acting in good faith towards common goals, and anyone that egregiously or habitually defects can get hosed.

Finding good workers is just as important, if not more so, than disciplining your workers properly, I think. The problem is that it costs money to hire and train people, and the interview(s) don't always reflect the final quality of the work.

Retail sucks from both ends.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I wear jeans to work, but they're small stores without a back stockroom or much movement. When I wore khakis, I bought pretty heavy Carhartts that were very sturdy, but a bit warm. It hasn't bothered me, but I'm used to heavy pants because I don't really wear shorts (I'm self conscious about my huge hambone legs), even growing up in Southern California.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

grimcreaper posted:

About 20 minutes ago this man walks up to me and doesn't say a word. Just stares at me even after I ask if he needs help.

No response so I speak a little louder "sir, is there something I can help you with?"

He continues with his blank stare. So I go to put a return back on the counter and he grabs the item out of my hands and says "don't you ever ignore me when I'm talking to you, boy. Next time you'll regret it." He couldn't be much older than me... I'm 29.

So I apologized and asked what he needed and he just walks off. Not another word. Holding the pizza pan with an out stretched arm knocking things off the counter as he walked away. Then he loving Frisbeed the pizza pan over towards toys. My toy guy said it hit a shelf a few feet away from his head.

I love retail!

Drugs, man.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Not hugely noteworthy, but today was hanging out at a Caseys right next to the place I volunteer at because I like to grab a pop before I start and am friends with the cashiers. One of the doors doesn't close properly, so they want people to use the other one. Cool. I put the sign up myself so they could keep serving customers at the registers. Not a huge deal. We put the outside trash can in front of the door as an extra precaution.

I watch this hispanic man walk up to the door. Look at the sign, look at the trash can, MOVE THE TRASH CAN, and go through the door. They're double doors, the other one was right in front of him and wasn't being used or blocked or anything. Why?

This happened twice in the 30 minutes I was there. Do people just take offense at signs?

gently caress you, sign! You can't tell me what to do. You don't know me.

People actively ignore signs when they're in stores. It can literally be ten foot letters, and they'll ignore it, even when pointed out. I think a lot of people are barely literate and the extra 10 seconds it takes to read a sign are not worth the effort for them, personally.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

So you don't support an organization that helps 99% of young boys because they have an aversion to the remaining 1%?

I don't know where you get your statistics from but

Oh wait, look who I'm replying to. Might as well save my breath.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

A little thing that may not even be worth reading: a few days ago I went on break and just stopped at the dollar store we're next to to get some cheap snacks/drinks, and less than a dozen steps in I get asked by an older man where we keep the paint rollers. I just looked at him, then pointed to the patch on my shirt that indicated I worked next door. I don't know why he thought I worked there, their uniform and ours look completely different, and are very different colors. He must have walked past the girl on cash there to get to me as well. Some people do not use their goddamn eyes.

People ask me where things are when I'm shopping for myself in a button down and slacks, which is my normal outside clothing. I think it has to do with the way we walk.

One time, someone was convinced that I do, in fact, work here, and I'm just shirking by lying to them. They got heated. I was wearing a Best Buy uniform in a Target.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm glad I work in an adults-only store (we sell e-cigarettes) so I don't have to put up with that poo poo. Some kids are fine, but most are absolute hellions.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Customer just came in...

"Hey, so I just bought this dripper at another shop, but I heard you guys do builds. Can I get a free build?"

Fine, whatever. Kind of a slap in the face, but I'll do it.

Then he starts poo poo talking the shop I work at, saying our juice is bad, our prices are too high (they are exactly on par with every other shop in the area), and that our service sucks. Show some loving respect, man. You're too lazy to do basic maintenance on the device you just bought, and you talk poo poo to the person helping you?

Reason #347 I regret working in a vape shop: the rear end in a top hat customers. It's still better than Best Buy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

Was he wearing a fedora?

No, but he had on this ridiculous scarf with a My Little Pony tramp stamp on it.

I got into vaping to save money and quit smoking, in that order of priority. I hate what this hobby has turned into over the past 4 years.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Too bad that doesn't even cover the cost of inflation/increase in cost of living for most places

Retail.txt

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

thewireguy posted:

Training people who you know are going to replace you. It is a toss up between sabotage and professionalism. Dilemma...

What will you gain from training them properly? On the other hand, what do you lose if you train them poorly? Weigh the positives and negatives and strike the most personally profitable balance.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was listening to my manager and a co-manager talk about minimum wage the other day.

Co-manager, a guy in his mid-thirties, was pissed off that Wal-Mart and Target were raising their wages. He also said that it wouldn't be worth it to do his job anymore if Bernie raised minimum wage to 15 bucks an hour, because everyone at the store would be making as much money as him, even the baggers. :qq:

Move over. I'll do your drat job for 15 dollars an hour. Hell, pay everyone 20 dollars an hour. I'll still take the 15 and do your job.

Holy poo poo, a retail manager opposes a minimum wage hike because it would make him feel less superior? Humans are awful.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

-Troika- posted:

I dunno, I'll take dealing with trash over dealing with people any day.

Me too, but not for customer service wages. If you want me to deal with biohazard filth, you'll pay me like a janitor, not like a clerk...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am still trying t wrap my head around people making GBS threads on top of other people's poo poo. Like, as bad as I've ever had to go, opening a stall and seeing a pile of poo poo, even a mountain of it left behind by previous visitors, is enough to make my stomach turn to lead and everything else freeze up.

But I do remember when I worked at McDonalds, as my first job, I volunteered to clean the Playplace when a customer complained a kid had peed in there. Mostly because I got to kick everyone out of the area for two hours. Two hours was the minimum time corporate said it would take to clean. So I'd lock the door, put on the gloves, and crawl through the tubes with my bleach spray. The pee spot was maybe an inch across of a puddle. But it was two hours of silence, away from the register. Seeing the furious looks on customers' faces, all demanding to be let in so their kids could play, was just the icing on the cake. No sir, I'm sorry sir, I have to clean this other half and NO I can't let your kids play in the half I just cleaned. Sorry sir, enjoy your day. After that, any time there was an accident in the place (and it was never anything compared to what I cleaned in the zoo bathrooms. Piss, yes, poo poo, never.) I got the gig to clean it. The best hours ever in that hellhole.

I'd rather clean up a little piss and chill for two hours than deal with customers for two hours. I'd say you got a sweet deal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

LonsomeSon posted:

Reasons I No Longer Desire to Work in Retail v3.1 (BFC edition): Sweet Deal on those Piss-Cleaning Hours

Scrubbing caked on piss from the floor is one thing, but a little kid sized puddle? That's no big deal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, I agree. A potential lawsuit will cost the store a lot more money than a customer complaint, no matter how bureaucratic and stifling the management is.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I have reached the beginning of the end.

Next month, I will no longer be a sales clerk/customer service drone. Instead, I'll be the assistant inventory manager for the store I work for (four locations with a fifth opening soon). I won't have to wear a polo, greet people, or do all the stupid poo poo that makes customer service such a hellish job. If a customer is upset, it can't be at me or for something I did, because I'll be in the back. Oh, and there's a pay bump.

:woop:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Despite being told in writing that I would be off sales by this week, I am working two solo weekend shifts and covering another store on Tuesday. I also have weekends scheduled for the next two weeks. I'm now one level higher than the sales managers on the org chart, but they get weekends off? gently caress that. I shouldn't even be working sales.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Getting offended over things is gay and retarded.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Faerunner posted:

Eh. When they ask me "Do you work here?" they're basically asking whether I'm actually working in that department or just walking through on my way to the break room; eg they're trying to screen people because they've been previously burned by an associate who was just coming or going, and didn't want to answer poo poo for them. Sometimes they ask: "Can you get me someone who works in this department?" instead. Both questions annoy me, but they are "reasonable" questions from the point of view of a customer who isn't quite sure whether you belong in a certain aisle (or in my case since I'm a girl, why I'm not at a register). My normal response is the cheeriest "YES I DO WORK HERE! WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU TODAY?!" that I can muster.

Now, if I'm downstocking rugs or something and somebody asks me this... I will side-eye them SO hard. Obviously I'm working here right now, bitch.

Honestly I wish more people would skip the "Do you work here"s and the "How are you"s. I know that you know I work in this store, and I know that you don't care how I am today. Ask your loving question so I can answer it and move on. If it requires more help than I am able to give I will cheerfully let you know that I am going to find help and I will brief the other associate before they get to you so that you don't have to repeat yourself too much. On the other hand, they also need to quit with the loving stories. "Hi, I bought this here about a year ago, and my wife loves it, and we put it up in our kitchen and the box says it takes 60 watt bulbs and it came with those spiral ones, you know? And anyway, we put it up last year...." (...and your question is...?)

If your question is THAT complex, you should probably lead with "Can you answer a question about [specific issue here]" anyway. "Can you answer a question about light bulbs?" Sure! I know things about light bulbs! "Can you answer a question about why this fixture keeps burning out bulbs?" No. I will call an electrical associate for you, though! You can tell him your entire story instead!

Mostly I'm tired of coworkers being useless lumps. The other day I was trying to help a customer with questions about flooring installation. I had guided him through as much as I knew (which is a pretty sizeable chunk) and gotten him to the point where he wanted to pick out a nailer to install his hardwood. I have used nailers before and know the basics but gently caress, I'm not familiar with all 15 of the ones we stock and the shelf labels weren't really helping much. So I called the hardware associate over and explained that we'd gotten this far, but needed help with the nailers... and he looked at me and said: "I'll try but I don't know that much, either."

:psyduck: YOU'VE WORKED HERE LONGER THAN I HAVE. THE REP IS IN WEEKLY IF YOU WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS AND LEARN. WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE IF YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THIS STUFF TO A CUSTOMER?

I bet he sent them to Tool Rental so the guys there could explain the differences for him.

When I'm a customer, I always start with a greeting, then "I was wondering if you could answer a question for me" or "I was wondering if you could help me" or something like that. If I'm looking for something but don't need help exactly, I'll just ask them where I can find thing, but otherwise I start with a little introductory sentence like that. It takes five seconds, ensures that any employees going on break or going home or otherwise busy aren't interrupted, and generally makes the process of retail much smoother and more pleasant.

Unfortunately, most people won't do anything like this, and instead lead with extremely obvious questions like asking the person in the company polo with a nametag on stocking shelves if they work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Shugojin posted:

somebody recorded a food temperature as being 7:00 degrees yesterday

loving kill me

AM or PM?