Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I work at a store thats name starts with R and ends with S.

I've been here since the store opened, and everyone who I work with is really nice and works fairly hard, we had one lazy guy early on, but after he "stocked" shoes by laying every shoe in front of the shelves in the ground and then going home, I never saw him again.

But the customers, oh the customers.

The store is in an area that is mostly Mexican. It doesn't bother me at all, but lots of the people that come in don't know the English words for numbers, which is basically all you really need to know to shop somewhere, so I have to turn the register screen to show them the actual total before they give me cash or they swipe their card. It's not horrible, but it always takes way more time than a regular transaction because almost always they stare blankly at the price for a minute before proceeding. Not to mention the fact that the total is displayed on the pinpad, but that may as well be invisible to half of all the customers in the store. I can't even recall every person who tries to hand me their credit card when they want to pay for something.

And then of course there are the people who, after I swipe a few items, say "wait, what is that 20.99 item you just swiped?" Most of the people who do this aren't satiated with me telling them, nor showing them the item that was that price. After I ring them out, they always stand to the side and stare at the receipt for a few minutes before leaving. I don't quite understand what's going on in their heads with that one.

Pretty recently I had someone buy 600 dollars worth of clothes and shoes, most of these items coming in under ten dollars. This wouldn't be so bad at a Target or whatever, but here we hard tag EVERYTHING, and so it takes even longer with big purchases since we have to treat each item individually. First we have to take off the hangar, then scan, then take off the hard tag, then bag. We can't take off all the hangars at once, and because of this there is a hangar rack in the line so customers can take them off before they get in line. They never ever do. This lady's purchase wouldn't have been so bad, except when she paid she had one hundred dollar bill, and a ton of 5's and 20's. And to top it all off, the 100 was fake. So I called my manager up under the guise that we are supposed to get the manager any time we get a large bill. Blah blah, in the end she gets told she can't use it here and if she has another form of payment. She just left right there. So I had to undo all of what I just did. One at a time. Because that's what we are supposed to do.

Another time some dude in a leather beret and a rainbow dyed shirt and leather fingerless gloves came up to do a return but didn't have the receipt. That's usually fine, but if the SKU doesn't come up it probably came from a different store and we can't give them cash, only store credit. Not only that, but the item was damaged and we just can't take a damaged item if it's not from our store. When I told him this, he started yelling about being shot at and how he was a veteran and how he demanded a manager. My manager told him the same thing, which led to him yelling even louder the same poo poo over and over as he stormed out of the store.

Once a lady tried to return two boxes full of broken dishware. This poo poo was completely trashed and half of them weren't even what came in the original box. She seemed really distressed we couldn't return it but she didn't really put up a fight, I was just incredibly confused why she thought that would work.

And one of the cashiers is constantly forgetting to take off hard tags. Constantly throughout the day the loss prevention guy has to help find the missed hard tags and get them off so the customers can actually use the product they bought. Seriously I don't get it, the loving price tag tells you what form of protection it has on it. It's not hard.

And, of course, the acronyms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Blue_monday posted:

I once had someone get super rotted she couldn't return a bag full of jeans she bought because they were so old. The manager who had been there forever barely remembered the store having that branding on the bags.

I literally just had this happen to me yesterday. The clothes hadn't been inside of a Ross for at least a year, the SKU numbers weren't even in the system anymore, and the tags were completely different from what they look like now.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Where I work we can just give 10% off damaged items if a customer asks, just to easily and quickly make a customer happy and to get rid of the damaged product. It's nice when I can do that for people, but it's even better when people get greedy and lose the discount entirely. To do anything more than 10%, we have to get a manager to come approve the discount. Most of the things we cashiers give discounts to, the managers probably wouldn't, or they'd give a more specific discount.

Once, a lady brought up some shoes and wanted a discount because there were scuffs on the bottom of the shoe. I flipped them over, and the shoes looked fine, the only mark I saw on the bottoms was the price we write on the bottom of the right shoe in the stockroom. I figured it'd be easier to just give her the discount and get her gone, so I told her I could do 10%. That apparently wasn't good enough, so I told her I needed to get a manager for anything higher than 10%. I paged a manager to the front and they took one look at the bottom of the shoes and said that she couldn't offer a discount for them. The lady looked shell shocked for a few seconds, staring at the shoes. Then she showed us the inside of the shoes and said that the insides were scuffed too (the logo on the inside was slightly worn, like someone walked around a bit to try them), so she really would need the discount to consider buying them. My manager reposted, saying that she'd be happy to put them away for her.

She bought the shoes.

But god drat, I've been at this retail job for a month, and while I'm mostly used to everything, taking hard tags off of poo poo is still the worst. Sometimes they just refuse to come out and you have to put a good amount of force into it to get them out. Worse than that, for the first week or two we had people from other stores that trained us and they said it only gets worse as your stock of pins start getting bent. Half the time our loss prevention junk is just a hinderance that adds tons of time to getting customers out of the door. One specific device is attached to hung items and you have to place this tool in a specific place to get it off. It only properly detaches about half the time. It's really frustrating when you're doing exactly what you're supposed to do and it takes multiple tries to get the thing off. It makes customers impatient and also adds to the time that customers have been standing there. One time I had to get someone to cut the cardboard around the loving thing to get it off.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Caught my first shoplifter today.

Kid about 21 years old comes to me and gets 3 steaks that are on sale. Didn't think anything of it. About 10 minutes later a customer service worker brings me the steaks and said he tried k steal them. Oh well, it happens.

The same kid came back an hour later after changing clothes and putting sunglasses and a hat on. Got the exact same steaks. I recognized him and tipped off security and they caught him trying to shove stuff in his bag.

I then found out from security that the kid was fired from our store not even a week ago.

Someone keeps stealing purses from where I work. Defeated screamer tags keep showing up in the clothing aisles but despite multiple people keeping an eye on that area we haven't caught the person doing it. The weirdest thing is if they have a screamer tag (a thing that alarms if it's defeated without a magnet), they also have a hard tag (a thing that sets off the alarm at the door) but we haven't found any of those. I don't really care that much, but there is a co worker that is super gung ho about trying stop stealing and laments that he can't tackle people and detain them. :shrug:

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Man Whore posted:

So I got my first job at a cafe in a bulk store and its going fine so far, got about 18 hours of total work time. I had to close sunday even though I only had 12 hours and it was my first time working alone because my department manager had hosed up the scheduling and needed me to close but I was able to do it with some help from the other employees. I was the last one out the door though and kind of held up closing. I had a day off labor day but I forgot to look what days I work this week so I had to call up and was told by the department manager that I work 6:30 AM the next day to learn how to open. A bit hard to me because up until I got this job I was living like a typical goon out of high school, but I go in and woops the department manager actually hosed up and I work 3:45 till closing... by myself again even though I am still in training and needed multiple people as a crutch last time, but it turns out that the department manager had the opener going out at 3 so I actually need to come in 45 minutes earlier than I'm scheduled so cafe doesn't sit empty. I actually work 6:30 tomorrow! which means I will get 6 hours total of sleep if I immediately fall into my bed when I get home if I am not late closing again. Said department manager also has every cafe worker scheduled for a vacation at the end of October except for me. yay.

You know it sounds kind of ridiculous but I was kind of hoping I would only have like 25 hours at most per week but I am only 4 hours away from full time this week and I am seriously getting tired of this manager loving up my schedule. I was hoping to just get some job experience and something to put on a resume but I am getting ran ragged here.

You eventually get used to it and go into a detached fugue state where your body does your job while your brain kicks back and does nothing.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Last night, five minutes before we closed, some lady came in and grabbed nearly a grands worth of clothes, went up to the register, got rung up, then, without even checking her pockets or purse said "Oh, I don't have any money." and left.

:psyduck:

That same day as I was walking into work some lady started attacking a dude driving by in a truck. She stuck her hands through the window and he kept driving, dragging her around the parking lot. Later, I looked out into the parking lot and the truck was parked with the door open, the guy was nowhere to be seen, and the lady was standing near the truck on her phone.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

I can't be the only one who wants to know more about this. I mean...WHAT!

I wish I knew more. The truck ended up too far over to see through the doors, and we don't have any actual windows that look out into the street, since they all have dumb decals covering them. I can't even begin to guess what the gently caress was up with that situation. The only possibility I can think of is that while the dude clearly wanted nothing to do with this woman, he knew her well enough to ditch his truck with her near it. :shrug:

Last night there were huge groups of families shopping, which normally is fine, but this time the parents just didn't give a gently caress what their kids did. They let them grab a basket each (our baskets have wheels, their basically tiny, low carts), and fake shop. Again, I wouldn't really care if they were actual parents and made the kids then put back what they "shopped", but that is just wishful thinking. Eventually, after they slowly realized that their kids were literally booking it through the store and running into poo poo and hurting themselves, they took the carts from them and instead of putting the poo poo back, the dad looked around and stuffed the filled baskets under a clothing rack. Like, holy poo poo, I wonder if he has enough introspection to realize that doing that made him basically on the same level as his kids. When they walked away from the baskets I went over to that area and grabbed them and made enough noise to get him to turn around, and just as quickly turn away. Fucker.

There was another family and the kids were pretty well behaved but they were super hyper and curious. They kept switching the register lights on and off and one of them nabbed a gift card and ripped the packaging for it trying to look at it. I didn't really care but it made me realize that none of my coworkers like kids even slightly, because they all commended me on my patience with 'those little shits'. I took the compliment but I was really surprised because they were just acting like children.

And on that note, most of my otherwise nice coworkers are judgemental assholes to anyone they perceive as different than them. Anyone who looks run down is "a dirty tweaker, check their tags make sure they didn't magically switch them!", anyone who is mexican and male, "of course they went to the mens section first, I'm gonna go customer service them!". One time a larger woman was in the store and someone said "The incredible bulk needs to get the gently caress out of my store!" Like jesus christ, all of these people are working in a store in a lower income neighborhood, yet NONE of these people have apparently never lived in this type of area because they poo poo themselves whenever someone isn't white and in okay shape. I've never lived in a good neighborhood so maybe I'm so tolerant because I've been surrounded by this clientele my whole life, but can't these people loving hold their judgement for when they're off the clock?

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

UZworm posted:

One of my co-workers apparently caught customer-itis last night. She stopped me in the middle of a project to drag me back to the register, bought a bunch of make-up from me (we're talking like 30 nail polishes and 20 other misc. products), did the thing where she stared at the screen and said "That on sale?!' for every loving item, and then returned 20 of the items five loving minutes later. My store requires you to scan every returned item and the receipt again individually. Then she laughed and left for a 15-minute break that took 25 minutes.

One of my coworkers apparently came into the store while he was off chasing after a customer who cut him off or something in the parking lot. He chewed them out really loudly in the store, and later was boasting about it. I do not know how he even got away with that without a manager even talking to him.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

At my store we have the machines that are capable of doing the chip payment, but our system hasn't been upgraded yet so it doesn't actually do anything yet.

So sometimes out of the corner of my eye I'll see a person pull out a card, so I'll hit the 'card' button and continue scanning, and when I'm done usually it automatically finishes up and spits out the receipt. But then when it doesn't I actually look over at the pin pad to see the dumb card sticking out of the bottom and the customer staring at it, probably ignoring the words on the screen telling them to SWIPE.

Most of the time when I tell them we don't have it yet they go "GOOD I loving HATE THAT poo poo!" and swipe, but that just brings up more questions.

Also, I didn't even know it was a thing before I started working retail and I was really loving confused the first time someone stuck their card under the pin pad.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Today a lady explained to me in perfect english that she wanted the price of purse A for purse B, she was clearly fluent in English. When I told her I'd have to ask a manager she said "Okay, that's fine."

When the manager came up and I asked her to explain to him what her question was, she said "You tell?" in a much heavier accent than before. So I explained it to him and he said no, but he'd give her 15% off because a thing was missing from the purse. She said "Oh, 50%, ok!" He replied "Uh, no, 15%." She then said "Okay!" and when I went to ring it up she said "20% good, thank you." and my manager just gave in.

I can't believe people pretend to not speak English well to get deals. :eyepop:

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yeah the worst thing is when you close at 10:30 and somehow there are like three people who really need to stare at clothes for 10 minutes after closing.

One time this lady just kept shopping, and after two warnings over the intercom and the manager personally telling her we were about to till out the registers, and she still didn't come up, we tilled them out. She was really mad and it was good.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Hostile V posted:

Movie theaters are a great place for parents to just not give a fuuuuuuuuuck about their children. I have opened for parties for families, camps and groups as a floor employee and a manager. I have had to clean birthday cake off the walls and I have also had them clean the theater after their party and let us have the leftover food. On rare occasions, I've gotten a tip or a share of it. And private camps/schools or groups of aides with impaired/disabled guests are always great because they have order and they're always nice.

But when I'm talking about lovely kids I'm primarily talking about when parents just don't pay any loving mind to the children. I've watched kids almost crack their skulls ooen because they were tackling each other in the lobby at their friend's birthday party and the parents don't bat an eye. The worst I ever saw was a group of people and kids waiting in the lobby with their tickets, kids running around as the parents all talk in a cluster. An eight hear old boy just blows chunks on the rug and holds his stomach and they didn't do a drat thing. The parents watched him throw up and just let him stand there and dry heave over the carpet for a few minutes. Who the gently caress does that. I stared daggers at them the whole time I was cleaning up that kid's puke because the little guy is obviously nauseous but you're not even gonna drag him to the trash can right next to you at the very least?

I may not like children most of the time but I blame their parents as much as I blame the kids. At the very least make a loving effort to stop your child from running heas-first into a wall because he wants to chest-bump it.

Watching parents ignore kids is weird because I am never entirely sure if I should tell their kids to knock it off because if there's one thing I don't need, it's an excuse for a confrontation.

It's 100% the parents. Kids don't automatically know how they're acting isn't socially acceptable unless their parents tell them so. Like at my store, kids will 'shop' or whatever and the parents don't even make them put it back, they just stuff it under a clothing rack and move on. Ergo, the kid will just keep doing that since there is no negative consequence for that behavior. In your situation, those parents weren't making it clear to their kids that what they are doing isn't acceptable, so they don't even consider the fact that it may be wrong or annoying because the person who tells them what to do isn't saying anything.

And I just have to roll my eyes at anyone who acts like this is some strange social phenomenon with the current generation of parents. Literally every generation has people who are just poo poo parents, it's nothing unique.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

The fuckers in the stockroom aren't putting everything up during their shift. They keep leaving multiple Z-racks of clothes and multiple bins of shoes for someone else to do so they can get out on time. And then the midshift people aren't putting it up, since they want to get out on time. And so it falls onto the people who close, since we can't leave till everything in the store is done. It's really annoying, because the few times I haven't closed this month and worked mid-shift, the guy on the sales floor, who is supposed to be putting poo poo up the whole time unless the cashier needs back up, just stands around at the front waiting for the line to get busy enough to get on a register, so all day nothing gets put up, or recovered, and is set aside for the closing shift to do.

Every time I manage to put it all up and recover the store before we close, but whatever manager is closing with me is always surprised I finished. "Wow you already put up everything in the stockroom?", etc. If the manages know that generally it wouldn't be possible to do all this poo poo within our time frame, why do they let it keep happening??? I feel like I keep getting sales floor just because I'm the only one who actually does my job when I get that position. Now it's too late to pretend like I suck at it :(

I'm also kinda annoyed because they promoted two people who were hired at the same time I was. I'm not annoyed at the people who got promoted, because they are the two people I consider actually good at their jobs, but my managers gave me the perception that we three were all on the same level of skill. Yet they never even talked to me about a promotion, why I wasn't considered or otherwise. I'm guessing it's because I don't have availability during the day most of the week, but I would have liked to be told that there were promotions available at the very least. Those two people also have been employee of the month too, while I haven't. If I suck really bad at my job my managers don't give me that impression, and if I do suck I wish they'd tell me so I could stop sucking. But again, I think it comes down to the fact that I always close and the head manager never ever closes anymore.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

What were they promoted to? Did their job duties change?

A lot of times, being too good at your current role makes you ineligible for promotions to anything better when you're in retail. Like you said, you realized too late you needed to pretend to suck.

The position is called Manager on Duty PLUS, which is just a part time version of the regular MOD. It just means they can cover the mid manager position and they have manager numbers so they can do returns over 75 dollars without getting a manager to come up and they can also do a few other things with the registers that I can't. I don't know if it came with a pay raise but I kinda doubt it since we start at 9$ anyway.

It's not even like I care that I didn't get promoted, just that it doesn't seem like I was even considered in the first place despite being praised constantly.

But yeah you're right, because at first they were constantly having me on the cash registers but then after they put me on the sales floor I now only rarely get put there because *fart*

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Jingleheimer posted:

What's so great about being on register? At my work I'd much rather be on the floor, even if I have to put up with some bullshit everyday. Being a cashier sucks.

I like being on the floor because I'm constantly doing something, but it really hits a goddamn nerve having to clean up after fully functioning adults literally every day. I'm sick of seeing clothes thrown over the rack, I'm sick of seeing poo poo in the wrong spot halfway across the store, or a huge pile of clothes stuffed into the back of a shelf like they're 12 and hiding a mess from a parent. It's just gross to me. At the register, you may get a few assholes, but you don't really personally see the process that customer went through to get to the register.

Ultimately though, I don't really mind it, it just kinda bothered me.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

What were they promoted to? Did their job duties change?

A lot of times, being too good at your current role makes you ineligible for promotions to anything better when you're in retail. Like you said, you realized too late you needed to pretend to suck.

So today I just realized I get way more hours than any other part timer at the store, so I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing I am good at putting things where they go.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I noticed a bracelet we were selling that said "genuine freshwater pearls", quotation marks included. Next to it was a bracelet that said the same thing but without the quotation marks. :shrug:

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Leal posted:

Well I may be getting another job.. still in retail though, but not in a store that will be shutting down in 3 weeks. As a bonus the store in question is a 2 minute walk from my door to theirs, I wont have to worry about my car passing smog (cause lord knows I drive anywhere else...). Interview on Tuesday, hope I don't gently caress it up :ohdear:

E: Surely working at a grocery store will be easier then working at a general store. No stupid company plans or cards or reward programs and no questions of "Which one works better?".

Probably no different tbh

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Thank god my managers are just kinda like "Oh you're in overtime? Whelp you may as well stay the rest of the day since we already let you stay too long :shrug:"

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I'd quit right away if I got told I had to start cleaning toilets.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

0 rows returned posted:

So I was told last night that they need to cut an additional 500 hours after last weeks 800 hour cut poo poo. At this point I'm not entirely sure who is going to be working there because they might as well just close down the store. The personnel coordinator told us the other day that they interviewed a bunch of people to replace the massive amounts of people who quit or got fired, gave them job offers and then were barred from calling them for orientation. I'm continuing to get a ton of overtime despite the looming threat of being written up for getting any overtime because I have no choice, I can't just leave poo poo in a pile everywhere like I guess they expect.

This job is really depressing me, I constantly feel like the biggest piece of poo poo because no matter how much I try, nothing substantial gets done. Like at this point I seriously want to lie down in the dark and die because my job makes me miserable. I look back and think that I should've listened to the little voice in the back of my head telling me "no dont take the support manager position, youll regret it" because it was right. I should've just stayed a stocker because then I could've just clocked in, did my work, clocked out and went the gently caress home instead of having this weight constantly building on my shoulders.

I don't know what to do.

What you are capable of doing. And if that isn't good enough, oh well, what could you do??

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yup can confirm, I'm in Arizona too and I see a lot of dudes who open carry in my store. The weird thing is though, I had literally never seen anyone open carry before I got this job, other than a gas station clerk once (which imo is really smart good on that gas man). It's almost like the people most afraid of the world outside don't go outside. :eyepop:

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

PCOS Bill posted:

So like how you didn't go out before you got that job or...?

You caught me!

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I took a couple classes on psychology and we covered retail psychology a bit and it really opened my eyes to how stores are laid out. Basically every super market has the following lay out: All the essentials are on the outer rim of the store with bread and milk being as far from the front door as possible. Many stores here will also not put an actual dollar sign on sale tags. For example you'll see 4 for 4 but not 4 for $4, because by omitting the dollar sign people are more likely to buy all four since they don't see it as money.

Other things included changing the flooring so people spent an extra 30 seconds in an aisle (the study reported that an extra 30 seconds in an aisle led to an average buying increase of 70%)

Also like other poster's I've never seen a supermarket without public bathrooms.

I've never been outside the US so I can't speak to how stores are set up around the world.

I don't know if these things work on me (probably) since I never get what isn't written on my shopping list, but I definitely think it works for people with no set plan as to what they want to get. Sometimes I'll look at people's carts and wonder how the gently caress they afford to buy so much pre made frozen/canned/boxed food.

For actual content:

The best thing happened last night. A group of teenagers came into the store and started to purposely knock poo poo on the ground and be general nuisances. At first, we all kept an eye on them, since while they were messing the store up a bit, we weren't sure if they were just messy or assholes. But we knew right away they were the later when one of them went into the dog section, grabbed an entire row of hung dog clothes, and threw them on the ground. At this point, the loss prevention guy started walking back there, and once the kid saw him, he took off running. But he forgot one key detail, the dog clothes he dropped on the ground. He proceeded to slip on a pink dog tutu and eats poo poo, body slamming one of the aisles. The loss prevention guy didn't really know what to do at this point, so he just asked if the kid was okay and told him he wasn't welcome in the store.

Karmic retribution imo.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Kilonum posted:

My store won't even start until after Hanukkah this year :toot:

My Assistant Manager says she never got the Christmas CD, while one of the Area Managers says she knows that the AM did indeed get it, since she herself handed it off.

My Assistant Manager is pretty cool :toot:

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

Once I was an assistant manager I did this too. Tape remained hidden until December actually started.

It's funny because the Area Manager could probably raise a stink since it isn't ~protocol~ but literally no one wants to hear christmas music right now.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Like seriously, why the gently caress do people put poo poo where it doesn't go, especially when where they ended up putting it is harder to manage than where it belongs?

How the gently caress did the human race get to the point where we are now when people apparently don't know how to put clothes on a hanger and then how to hang a hanger. ung ung i guess deese pant go over rack???? I just don't get the thought process, are they seriously that lazy that the extra second is just too much to ask?

Bomrek posted:

People are getting better at hiding them. :tinfoil:

And this, why the gently caress do people hide it? Obviously there is some inner turmoil going on in their heads, "oh I shouldn't be a lazy fucker" and "I'm a lazy fucker" so they hide it to avoid the appearance of a lazy fucker.

I don't get why this behavior has been encouraged by corporations rather than shunned. If people weren't so nasty and could be kicked out of the store for disrespecting it, then they wouldn't have to hire people that have to clean up after them. Instead, I have to clean up behind and nicely talk to the retard who has been throwing poo poo all over the store and letting their kids break poo poo the entire time they've been there instead of doing my actual job.

That is another thing, what ever happened to 'You break it, you buy it'? I will see people break poo poo and whenever I tell my manager they just tell me to throw it in the marked out of stock bin. Ugh.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My favorite is when people just shove stuff in the candy racks at the checkout lane, less than 5 feet from a live human being who can put it back for you requiring no extra effort on your part.

That too, holy christ. I even asked someone to hand it to me instead of putting it there and they said "Oh no, it's okay!" like they were doing me a favor?

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Duck_King posted:

When I still worked at GameStop, I used to play music from my phone into a little speaker setup we had behind the counter. When the holidays rolled around, I played the work safe tracks from the goon Christmas album as a passive aggressive way of getting back at the wild eyed hordes of shoppers. My boss had to stifle so much laughter the first couple days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHwhKwJypE4

Holy poo poo I'm jealous.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I personally love when kids are doing things they shouldn't be and the parent doesn't care until you go over and tell the kid to stop. Once, a kid was climbing all over a lingerie rack, knocking down every single bra as she climbed throughout it. The parent was right there, but was completely ignoring the fifty bras on the ground until I told the kid to get out of the rack. Then and only then did the parent yell at the kid to stop and apologized.

Then she walked off without picking up any of the bras.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Unfortunately all of my managers are really nice, so nice they don't bitch out people who don't do a good job. They just leave everyone to their own devices, which is fine for a few of us at this store but the majority of people need micro managing because without it they just stand in one place and don't do anything.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

PenguinKnight posted:

Some guys have been targeting our area for theft lately, robbing stores at gunpoint. I am really hoping that they get caught, because I am not mentally prepared to handle that kind of poo poo.

I dunno, just hand them the money and they probably won't shoot you. Plus side you'll more than likely get to go home early!!

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

The people doing the fitting room are supposed to run the clothes people hand them out onto the floor whenever they have a break between customers, but it's become more like; wait until Butyraceous covers your break and he'll do the entires day worth of clothes for you.

Every person we have on the fitting room waits until the very end of the night to do anything at all, that includes picking up areas around them, even though we can't leave till that poo poo is done, and they are just standing doing nothing otherwise.

I can understand (even though I hate it) why someone on morning or mid-shift would be a lazy fucker, but why would you be lazy on the night shift? You know we can't leave until the store looks decent, why would you hold off doing things until we close at loving 10:30?

So, because I want to actually leave at a decent time, whenever I cover their break I'll just put up the entire z-rack of clothes they have accumulated throughout the night in 15 minutes, and with no issue juggling letting people in/out of the fitting room between doing so. Ugh, this job is easy but I really hate doing everyone's job. Normally I wouldn't, but gently caress I want to go home, if it doesn't get done, we wouldn't get home till midnight because it seems like most people can't put a z-rack of clothes up in less than an hour.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

beepo posted:

These people are the worst. I will show them that the tags are correct and they will say "well it is still kinda misleading and false advertising" so they should get it for the cheaper price. They can't actually explain what is misleading since the prices were never wrong in the first place. The best they seem to come up with is that other products in the general area are tagged at a lower price so everything must be at that low price! I don't know if these people genuinely think the store is being misleading or if they are just assholes trying to rip us off.

Where I work, on the tags there is 'Recomended retail price' and then the price we are charging for it.

For some reason I've had a few people get mad when what they're buying is much cheaper than what they thought it was??

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I have an opening shift on Black friday of 7-12, but where I work we don't have discounts so I don't think it'll be too horrible.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Kickshaw posted:

The two co-workers I talked to today both talked about what a GREAT time they had shopping last night and what a madhouse the stores were, and it's petty as gently caress, but having had to work Black Thursday before, I resent both of them, along with literally anyone else who went shopping last night.

I always thought Black Thursday was bullshit, and I think it's even more bullshit now that I work retail. It boggles the mind that current retail workers would even consider doing that.

I hope they get forcibly scheduled for closing on Thanksgiving next year.

Also yup my store was dead until about 10am, where we then picked up to the regular amount of business. The only thing different was that people were buying way more stuff on average, which is weird because we have no sales whatsoever where I work. The only thing I can guess is either, tis the season, or people just assumed everything got marked down by a magical fairy or something.

I only got one person who asked if the prices were final, and he just left right away as soon as I told them they were.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

ijii posted:

Is there ever truly a quality items for a cheap price? Over a decade ago I went to a Black Friday sale in some electronic store, and it was all cheap garbage, and I never bothered going to one again. Occasionally I'll notice BF advertisement in the mail, but it's all some cheap-o generic garbage. Even online stores only have garbage on sale, and it's baffling to me why some people get so hyped for BF sales.

They also make lovely poo poo specifically for Black Friday, so not only is it cheap and poo poo, you're paying too much for that garbage even if it were actually 20% off.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

For some reason the place I work extended open hours until 11:30, even though we become dead 30 minutes before the time we usually close, at 10:30. So we have an hour and a half of just nothing, for some reason??

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Today right before we closed this skeevy looking couple came in and did some shopping and came up, then decided they only wanted two of the 10 or so things they had grabbed. I loving hate when people do that, but that isn't the best part.

The girl starts complaining about spending money, then segues into "I made 200 dollars today!" The dude asked, "How?" and the lady retorted quickly and snappily, "What do you mean, how?!"

:pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Leal posted:

This drives me crazy when someone comes up to the checkstand and empties like half their cart onto the top of the soda fridges (aka the "Put your unwanted poo poo here" here). I came so close to asking a customer who was just loading stuff up there as I was clearing them "So are you actually BUYING anything or..?"

Don't know if that is worse then the people who will grab an item off the shelf, then take 5 steps before deciding they don't actually want it and throw it onto the nearest spot that isn't the inside of their cart. What, you couldn't decide if you actually wanted it and just grabbed it off a whim instead of going "OK, I actually do/don't need this" and keep it/not pick it up in the first place?

Since I work the floor of the entire store I work with, this is my entire work life. Whenever I see someone do something like this, I snatch it from where they sat it, making sure to make noise and grab their attention and put it back where it goes roughly, to make more noise, all the while staring right at the person who did it.

When I first started doing this I expected to get complaints about it, but I haven't gotten a single one yet, probably because they'd be saying "One of your employees made me feel bad about trashing your store :cry:"