Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Had my first kid peeing on merchandise the other day :barf:

Also one thing I don't get about breaks at my store: I'm typically a "closer" ( 2pm - usually around 10 or 11 pm ), we can't take a 10 minute break until we've worked 4 hours, and my lunch is at 6 pm ( 1 hour unpaid meal period ), and we can't take any breaks after 7 pm. So, I have no chance to take a break. At all.

I guess I have an hour lunch so I really can't complain, but still. Those kind of rules kinda piss me off.

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Kohls is running a series of ads now that I'm pretty sure were scientifically designed to cause seizures in retail workers. They basically go like this:

Store worker:*says something completely reasonable and in a polite way, like "We can't accept this item for a return without a receipt/If you damage this dress you can't return it."*
Narrator: "Want returns without the hassle? Come to Kohls!"

It really pisses me off because I've seen about three of those ads now and the "evil" store workers don't ever say anything that is particularly draconian or unreasonable, but Kohls seems to be predicating their marketing strategy on people going "My god! Not being able to return a year old dress that I've worn and spilled ink all over? What madness is this?!" It's just this attitude of literally bending over backwards while the customer fucks you in the rear end that I hate about retail.

Just work at Nordstrom's for a day. You'll love it!

People can return poo poo from 20 years ago, and they do.

edit: Does any other company rank the schedule based off of "merit"? I'm interested in hearing about this especially with commissioned positions

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 1, 2010

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

manguero posted:

The store I used to work for always threatened to do this, and I think they sort of did actually. They had to have something to hold over our heads since the wage (7.50) was hardly much motivation and we didn't make commission. I can't say about company-wide; I think it was up to the GM/scheduling manager of each store.

Fake edit: I assume what you're talking about is that people who get more sales (or in our case, more store credit cards) get more hours and more say in when those hours are scheduled.

The place I work is hourly (no commissioned sales thank god) but instead it is corporate policy for the department managers to rank the schedule based off of merit. I'm really confused by this because, well, we don't actually make money off of our sales. Pretty much my entire job entails me cleaning up after dirty customers who can't loving put Juicy Couture gloves back in their box and getting over priced watches out of a case to show to people.

It wouldn't bother me if all the managers did it based off of job performance but it looks like they're doing it by who can brown nose the best. The girl who got number 1 in my department ( I got number 2 out of 6, but still ) doesn't do poo poo all day. She sits behind the watch case and untangles tangled necklaces and watches everyone else in the department scramble around doing go backs and servicing customers. The only reason she got number 1 because she sniveled her nose in between my manager's rear end. All of my other co workers are really hard workers and get their poo poo done in a timely manner.

We don't get paid more based off of the merit system but they do lay off people from the bottom up and I'm going to really hate seeing my hard working co-workers get laid off because they didn't compliment my manager every day on what boots she's wearing. It really, really, really irks me.

Oh also co-workers who talk to you about the abortion they got YESTERDAY is just plain awkward.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Also jesus christ the women's restrooms are loving disgusting.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Got my hours cut from 40 to 26

ugh

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Megera posted:

My day yesterday:

WHY CAN'T YOU GET PEOPLE TO BUY FRAGRANCES AT THIS SPECIAL EVENT THAT IS ALL ABOUT COSMETICS? :byodame:

and

WHY CAN'T YOU GET PEOPLE TO OPEN MACY'S ACCOUNTS AT THIS SPECIAL EVENT THAT WAS PRIMARILY ADVERTISED TO MACY'S CARDHOLDERS. :byodame:

My day:

OPEN RACK FAVORITES WE NEED THEM :byodame:

*cuts hours nearly in half*

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Today (Thanks to this thread) I told a night manager at Albertson's that a nice lady at the deli did great customer service. The manager thanked me several times and walked over to the deli counter to tell the girl. The smile on her face made my day worth of lovely customers and even shittier managers :unsmith:

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

gently caress managers who "waive" being late to some employees but loving threatening to write up others for being 5 minutes late

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

The girl my manager waives being late is the girl in my previous posts. She has no valid reason for being late except going out and drinking and getting abortions.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

And that right there, combined with the tone of your previous posts, makes me think you're an insufferable rear end in a top hat. Go gently caress yourself, duder.

Haha sorry didn't mean to offend sheesh some goons!

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

I worked yesterday from 11-7 (I work in cosmetics now) and at 6:55 this couple walks onto the sales floor. They looked kind of lost and everyone else was busy with a customer so I approached them and asked them if they needed any help today. Guy looked at me straight in the eyes and said "I want you to fix her up and make her look good for once; this is MY money and I want MY woman to look presentable."

I starred at him for a second. This guy already gave me a bad vibe but for the sake of retail I sat his girlfriend down in a nearby makeup chair and started applying makeup with making little conversation. The boyfriend asked one of my co-workers for a coke and two waters (Where I work we give free beverages and snacks from our coffee bar to customers who have been sitting in someone's chair for awhile or similar situations) I thought that was kind of weird because he has been on the sales floor for literally 3 minutes and was already demanding that we give him free stuff.

Then the verbal abuse started.

At this time, I was still applying foundation and concealer to the girl's face, her boyfriend standing 6 inches behind me watching me over my shoulder as I did her make up. He started talking, saying "I can't wait for you to look good" and "Can you make her less ugly, please?" I was slowly getting flash backs of Maury episodes of "Help! My Man Locks Me Up In My House!"

I went to go grab some Dior Show mascara and a member of loss prevention approached me and asked me if I was doing ok. I told him yeah just the guy was making me really uncomfortable and LP told me they would kick him out if I told them to. I honestly didn't want him getting upset so I just finished the girl's makeup.

After I was done with her makeup the guy had the nerve to ask me for free samples and that he would come back on Friday and buy all of the stuff from me. I felt a little nauseous as I watched them leave hearing him tell her "Don't you loving take that poo poo off your face" and now my faith in humanity is completely gone :smith:

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Welp someone went through my personal drawer at work and stole my money

Contacted LP and they said they'll watch the tapes. It's not the money so much, it's the principal of the entire thing. I work with a bunch of 20-something girls and I thought people were past that but I guess not :smith:

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Lady tried returning 4 pieces of facial cream today that we don't even sell at my store ( Work in a high end cosmetics ). No receipt, no UII sticker, no credit card transaction of it shows up when I looked it up. NOTHING. The lady said she bought them for her boss and then changed her tune when my manager came over and said her "boss" received them as gifts and didn't have a receipt. Now, we put UII stickers on boxes whenever we check someone out just so it'll store the employee number/transaction number/register/store etc to make it easier for people to return things if they lose their receipts. These boxes had no UII sticker on them which was very very very suspicious.

So what does my boss do? Scan the pieces to see their price (since we sell them at other stores just not ours) and they come up to be 200$ a piece.

She gave her the cash refund when she clearly stole it/got gratis from another store and decided to come return it. My manager pulled me aside and said "Don't worry I got her driver's license information so when she does come back and try doing the same thing they'll arrest her." Bitch that's still 800$ we just gave away to an obvious criminal.

:negative: x1000

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 13, 2011

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

2508084 posted:

dear god please tell me your manager at least did it under his/her numbers or theres some documentation that it wasn't you. Little 30$ cosmetics maybe, but 200$ a pop with absolutely no evidence that it was bought from your store? drat!

I didn't get it taken out of my commission but I was still disgusted that she just handed over 800$ to someone so easily.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

The General posted:

200 for skin cream? Jesus. Are these like giant tubs?

No, they're just really expensive.

That's not even that expensive compared to other ones like Clé de Peau Beauté and Chanel Sublimage among others

Oh to be rich and old :ughh:

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 13, 2011

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Worked 35 hours the past 3 days doing make up for women

"Oh is it free?"
"Do I have to buy anything?"

Seriously? You think I'm doing make up for middle aged women who live in Columbus, Ohio for my enjoyment?

I did make up for around 20 people yesterday alone and out of that half of them bought poo poo. :tipshat:

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 20, 2011

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

In the past 6 weeks the mall I work at has had a shooting and a fire where everyone had to be evacuated.

Hell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Gotta go drive to a customer's house because I hosed up her FREE GIFT shipment and instead of getting yelled at I have to drive 45 minutes each way to drop off this lady's lovely cosmetic case and sample size eye cream.

:smith: