Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

NGC773 posted:

Sweet story, i used to work for a large electricals retailer in the UK too. I hates selling insurance covered up as protection for your little new laptop. Customers used to come in everyday to complain about how the company had a direct debit setup to their bank account, allot of the staff used to put it on the sale for free for the first few months then they start paying.

Im so glad i no longer have to work part time, espectially in retail

Yeah, I did the same or a similar job, and I'm glad I'm out of that now. The thing about that was that the people who did that wouldn't get their arse kicked at all - in fact, it made your figures looked good. The company I worked for thought we were doing something seriously wrong if people didn't take not only the insurance but all the other extras.

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

spankmeister posted:

French people are generally of the "don't give a gently caress"-variety. Germany for example is very different.

Al Murray the pub landlord posted:

If we had no rules where would we be? France! And if we had too many rules where would we be? Germany!

Sounds like he nailed it.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

TheBandOffice posted:

loving THIS!

Where are the $149 netbooks?
:( We sold out of them by 6 this morning
WHY DIDN'T YOU HAVE MORE?!?

Yes, I had this when I worked in retail and it was annoying as hell. I guess it was down to both the store and the customers, but they'd have maybe ten of them tops, the first ten people in would get them. I'm just glad I'm getting into teaching now.

What the customers didn't understand - and I can't entirely blame them - was that the store's doing this for the company's benefit, not ours. Half these 'sale deals' were bought with the intention of selling them at this price. And the ones that aren't? Well, we'd have our arses kicked to upsell. Plus, the people who came in for the cheapy laptops would always want one without any of the extra bits that we were also forced to sell. While we weren't on commission, I should had.

On a related note, someone on customersuck.com pointed out how the people on the Black Friday ads were relentlessly grinning. As if. What bugged me was when the ads for the electronics chain that I worked for were on the tv, the magical salespeople didn't even mention all the crap we're supposed to push. They just sold the customer the laptop! Ta da. With no mention of the Office software, the Anti-virus software, the mobile broadband, the insurance, all the other stuff we were supposed to put on it.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

The General posted:

I can understand his stance sadly. Catching a pedophile and getting shitcanned does not pay the bills :smith:

Society is turning us into bad people because of the above. I have opted not to take action because of it. I feel like poo poo when it happens, but I have to look at the consequences of actually doing something.

The guy who shopped Gary Glitter got sacked, from the computer chain he worked as a tech for.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

If you hate the questions your only option as a customer is complain to corporate, whenever you feel the rage ring\write and say the questions are annoying and make you want to shop elsewhere.

If enough people give enough of a poo poo to do it, it might make them reconsider.

I doubt it. The absolute stupidest poo poo that used to happen in the store where I worked was 'goalkeeping'. The person on the till was not only supposed to get up and greet people at the entrance, but also quiz people on why they were leaving without buying anything.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

red19fire posted:

So I responded to a retail ad, and went in for the interview. I think I did well, I got along with the manager, sharing retail war stories. then they gave me the mandatory corporate questionaire to 'answer honestly.'

6. Where do you think "the customer is always right" comes from?

:v:

"It was probably invented by a customer to justify their sense of entitlement."

I'm not expecting a call back.

The correct answer is 'It was invented by Harry Gordon Selfridge, Sr. He died in poverty, by the way.'

BONUS: The same wikipedia article I also got this from helpfully states that 'In the early 17th century customer was defined as a "common prostitute".'

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

rolleyes posted:

^^^^
edit:
And this is why you're an idiot if you leave your poo poo public, especially if you're in a job like teaching where you're expected to be a role model. Again in the UK this would be hard for the school to get away with, but in the states...

It's a shame that she resigned before the truth as to whether or not she friended the student - a real no-no - came out.

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 3, 2012

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

The Lord Bude posted:

It's because Americans call it 'ketchup' instead of 'tomato sauce'.

Blame Heinz. I'm a Brit and I call it that.

As for stupid questions etc the cash register, before I left my retail job, the store had an initiative based on some psychological nonsense that everyone had to use. The final part of selling an item to a customer was to hand it to them - and this was really important.. - with both hands. Yeah, I have no idea where they got that from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

The Lord Bude posted:

South Australia actually banned plastic bags a few years back - now everyone has to use reusable bags. It would have been hilarious to be a checkout operator down there on the day that kicked in.

Personally I much prefer packing people's stuff into standard plastic shopping bags though.

They start charging 5p for plastic bags in the UK, on October the 5th. Some sorts have been doing it before now, but I would not want to be a checkout operator on that day.

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 29, 2015