Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yozakura Quartet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Ore Twintails

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lupin III - Hemingway Papers

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Crusher Joe

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Vision of Escaflowne

Paprika

Takeshi Kokike, who did "Redline" just did two Lupin III shorts

Linked for :nws: partial nudity: ]http://i.imgur.com/a3x6UeQ.gif

Dunno what these are from

I work in archiving and let me just say... gently caress DATs.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Robert Denby posted:

Dunno what these are from

I work in archiving and let me just say... gently caress DATs.

With a cursory google search I believe these (or at least the first one) are from an OVA called Riding Bean.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Legend of Korra had cool magical kung-fu and a giant robot:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I hope someone gifs the Akira reference they got in the last episode of Korra

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Cook posted:

Legend of Korra had cool magical kung-fu and a giant robot:

That was pretty fun to watch. I looked up if there was going to be a 5th season, but all I could find was the internet exploding about Korra being a lesbian? I don't know what the gently caress.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Ragequit posted:

That was pretty fun to watch. I looked up if there was going to be a 5th season, but all I could find was the internet exploding about Korra being a lesbian? I don't know what the gently caress.

That was the series finale :(

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Nope, and if Nick had their way after the 2nd season there wouldn't have been a 3rd or 4th season at all, but they had already ordered them

And yes, Korra was revealed to be les/bi in the finale, that actually happened

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

icantfindaname posted:

Nope, and if Nick had their way after the 2nd season there wouldn't have been a 3rd or 4th season at all, but they had already ordered them

And yes, Korra was revealed to be les/bi in the finale, that actually happened

Do we know why Nickelodeon didn't want to order more seasons after the 2nd?

Was it not printing enough money to offset the costs or was there something else at work?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Soul Reaver posted:

Was it not printing enough money
It's always this

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Soul Reaver posted:

Do we know why Nickelodeon didn't want to order more seasons after the 2nd?

Was it not printing enough money to offset the costs or was there something else at work?

This and Nickelodeon has been trying its damnedest to become the next Disney Channel. Cartoons just aren't for those hip pre-teens I guess.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

sitchelin posted:

This and Nickelodeon has been trying its damnedest to become the next Disney Channel. Cartoons just aren't for those hip pre-teens I guess.

This is why I worry that Gravity Falls is not long for this world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nick was somehow surprised that Season 3 of Korra didn't get good ratings. What with their not advertising it and only announcing the premier less than a week before it started.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Nick was somehow surprised that Season 3 of Korra didn't get good ratings. What with their not advertising it and only announcing the premier less than a week before it started.
Then there is the other realm of thought that says that maybe they moved Korra around because it wasn't attracting the demo they wanted because little kids would rather watch Spongebob and older fans would just pirate it off online. I don't really agree with that assessment because anytime you move a show to Friday nights you are going to get poo poo ratings.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

muscles like this? posted:

Season 3 of Korra didn't get good ratings.

A crying shame if true. Book 3 was the best one.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cartoon Network is the only entity in the US willing to fund cartoons that aren't either Family Guy clones or terrible garbage like Spongebob or Johnny Test, and even then most of their original shows are fairly formulaic and similar, like Adventure Time, Chowder, Flapjack, etc

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Cartoon Network is the only entity in the US willing to fund cartoons that aren't either Family Guy clones or terrible garbage like Spongebob or Johnny Test, and even then most of their original shows are fairly formulaic and similar, like Adventure Time, Chowder, Flapjack, etc
And even then CN will gently caress over shows because for stupid reasons, just look at most Gendy projects like Samurai Jack and Symbiotic Titan; and also CN will gently caress over DC Animated stuff for very flimsy reasons.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fate/Stay Night [UBW]

Ano Hana

No Idea!

Sweet Blue Flowers

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Cartoon Network is the only entity in the US willing to fund cartoons that aren't either Family Guy clones or terrible garbage like post-movie Spongebob or Johnny Test, and even then most of their original shows are fairly formulaic and similar, like Adventure Time, Chowder, Flapjack, etc

Fixed that for you. I maintain the first 3 seasons of Spongebob are awesome and that the show went downhill afterward.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Looks like Kannagi.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

achillesforever6 posted:

And even then CN will gently caress over shows because for stupid reasons, just look at most Gendy projects like Samurai Jack and Symbiotic Titan; and also CN will gently caress over DC Animated stuff for very flimsy reasons.

Cartoon Network in Australia ran a ten-episode marathon of Samurai Jack a few weeks back. I'd forgotten how good it was :sigh:. That movie to finish it off is coming one day... right?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I mean I guess I gotta point out the elephant in the room that season 2 of korra was steaming hot garbage which may also be why ratings dipped so low on season 3

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Alouicious posted:

I mean I guess I gotta point out the elephant in the room that season 2 of korra was steaming hot garbage which may also be why ratings dipped so low on season 3
This was my reason for not bothering. They lost any semblance of good will after that mess.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I didn't dislike S2 as much as a lot of other people, but it wasn't very good. Especially the first half holymoly.
S3 is probably the best season in the entire franchise next to TLA's s2 and Korra's last season was also drat good.

Have some content:

Zedd has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Dec 22, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I dropped Korra halfway through season 2 because I wasn't liking it. Since I heard it gets better I was thinking of watching it again, does anything I need before watching season 3 and 4 happen in the second half of season 2 or can I just skip that?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

I dropped Korra halfway through season 2 because I wasn't liking it. Since I heard it gets better I was thinking of watching it again, does anything I need before watching season 3 and 4 happen in the second half of season 2 or can I just skip that?

You totally have to watch at least the finale because it seriously changes the world up for the rest of the show.

You'll also want to see the two-parter titled Beginnings, since it's about the first Avatar and how he ended up mastering every element.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mikl posted:

The two things you need to know about Season 2 to watch Season 3 are the battle with the big bad of Season 2 has severed the Avatar's connections to the past lives and that the Sprit world and the world of humans has been brought back together for the first time in thousands of years. So now spirits can come into the regular world.

Also if you haven't seen it yet track down the Season 2 two parter about the origins of the Avatar. It is disconnected from the rest of the season and is just a little stand alone story.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mikl posted:

No fool, you broke free from the garbage that is Korra. Don't be tempted back to it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Dirty Pair

Night on the Galactic Railroad

Patlabor 2

Evangelion

Charlie Brown Christmas parody

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The secrets of anime: revealed

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alouicious posted:

Yeah. I'm pretty solidly one of those that shakes their fists at networks over cartoons but even I can't bring myself to feel offended about Nick effectively shitcanning the show since it kinda brought it on itself. Hills to die on, it's not one of them.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gundam G no Reconguista

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

GorfZaplen posted:

Gundam G no Reconguista

Congratulations!

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Engaged to the Unidentified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People on Tumblr are goddamn abominable about putting sources on gifs so I have no idea what these are from. I'd love to know though. Sourced now.

YuruYuri

Sasamisan@Ganbaranai

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Jan 1, 2015

• Locked thread