Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
LedZergling
Aug 21, 2005

Got a bullshit ticket parking in NYC this last week saying I was "5 feet from fire hydrant"(on the slip) which isn't true cuz I had my friend, who is 6 ft tall, lay between my car and the hydrant(we took pictures of this and his license to prove his height and I have already submitted a protest).

If I can't get it repealed, what can they do? My friend tried to tell me that they won't bother with it after awhile because they have greater things to worry about than a $100 parking ticket.

I don't live in New York, I live in Ohio and won't be spending that much time in NYC again. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

It goes to collections and on your credit record. Not worth it over $100.

Go to court and fight it or pay it and move on.

BTW post the pictures.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at Jul 1, 2010 around 22:01

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!

Do something about it, at least, whether it's appealing or paying. Don't leave it to fester, because at some point you'll find yourself in NYC again, park badly or too far from a curb or something, and hey you have an outstanding ticket, you get more fines or you get to go to jail for a night. Fun!

Whatever you do, if this is your first ticket, don't start making a habit by ignoring this one. It becomes a slippery slope and you'll do it here or there a few times because hey, you don't go those places often. Then you do it in Phoenix when you visit and then the next time, bam! Tent city.

taint massage
Jun 13, 2008

We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.

Where I live they'll put a boot on your car the next time they see it if you're past due, but only if you owe 100 bucks or more I believe. Then you have to pay the original fine plus the boot removal fee.

They can also issue a warrant for your arrest because you didn't pay your fines.

Contest it or pay it, it's really not worth the hassle.

Doddery Meerkat
Aug 6, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don't know what your friend is talking about, profitable fines like this are the lifeline of city budgets these days.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

If it's anything like a DC ticket, the fine will be $X. If you ignore it, don't contact the court system, or pay it in 30 days, the fine doubles. Then, they'll slap a $5 court/legislative fee on top of that. If you have $100 or more in fines, they'll boot you.

Ask how I know...

Tiny Faye
Feb 16, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

You become president of these united states

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/parking.asp

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

It goes to collections and on your credit record.
Probably not. All they know is the license plate, which is not even from New York, so they would have to track down the owner, and they have no evidence that the owner was even the driver. They're not going to bother with that. At worst, you'll get booted next time you're in NY. I'd risk it and not pay.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

United we play, United we win

Doddery Meerkat posted:

Don't know what your friend is talking about, profitable fines like this are the lifeline of city budgets these days.

Yeah really. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ng-tickets.html. Pretty incredible how much money this is.

Chrispy
Feb 23, 2005
Oh yeah you know it.

taint massage posted:

Where I live they'll put a boot on your car the next time they see it if you're past due, but only if you owe 100 bucks or more I believe. Then you have to pay the original fine plus the boot removal fee.

They do this where I live too, and I think the way it works is hilarious for some reason. You can get the boot off by calling a phone number on the boot, giving your info and credit card number, and then you get a code to punch into a number pad on the boot itself. It pops off, and you have to drive it back to the city traffic office yourself. If you don't have a credit card you have to go there and pay the fine first, they give you the code, and then you have to go give their boot back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Probably not. All they know is the license plate, which is not even from New York, so they would have to track down the owner, and they have no evidence that the owner was even the driver. They're not going to bother with that. At worst, you'll get booted next time you're in NY. I'd risk it and not pay.

Uh, tracking down the owner of a car literally takes a few seconds if you're a city. And if its like red light cameras they'll just say you were "responsible" for the vehicle or some poo poo unless its reported stolen.

bossy lady
Jul 5, 2006

LedZergling posted:

Got a bullshit ticket parking in NYC this last week saying I was "5 feet from fire hydrant"(on the slip) which isn't true cuz I had my friend, who is 6 ft tall, lay between my car and the hydrant(we took pictures of this and his license to prove his height and I have already submitted a protest).

I think the law in NYC is 15 feet on either side of the fire hydrant so it doesn't matter.

Pagan
Jun 3, 2003

When I moved to Providence from Dallas, I had no idea that you weren't allowed to park overnight on the street. So I did. Parking enforcement was pretty lax, so it took about 6 weeks before I got my first ticket. I thought it was a fluke so I contested it. They claim they never got my letter and so it got doubled, and then tripled. I was pissed so I didn't pay it, and ended up racking up even more fees over a few years. I ended up owing almost $500. Once I reached that point, I got really careful about always parking legally. I never got towed or booted, and even after 3 years, nothing ever showed up on my credit report. I've since moved into Massachusetts and got a new license plate, so now they won't know it's my car even if I do go back into Providence.

I figured, once it passed a certain point, I could gamble and pay nothing, or lose and pay a lot. Since I already owed "a lot," I figured I had nothing to lose. It worked for me, but I'd still advise you to just pay it.

Jackie
Jun 18, 2004
<3

bossy lady posted:

I think the law in NYC is 15 feet on either side of the fire hydrant so it doesn't matter.

Pretty much this.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/pa...iolations.shtml

NYC's Parking and Vehicles Violation Codes, Fines, Rules & Regulations posted:

Stopping, standing or parking closer than 15 feet of a fire hydrant. Between sunrise and sunset, a passenger vehicle may stand alongside a fire hydrant as long as a driver remains behind the wheel and is ready to move the vehicle if required to do so. $115

Just pay it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

NJ resident here.

Pay the ticket. It may be bullshit but the traffic/vehicle courts - doubly so in NYC - are revenue generators par excellence. The system is way tilted in your favor. The only time I ever heard of someone winning was an article from 2005ish or thereabouts: a guy was going the right way down a one-way NYC street and was pulled over for having turned the wrong way or something else. The guy went to court, whipped out an aircard and laptop, pulled out Google Maps, and proved that there was no turn to take since the road kept going only in one direction. The judge threw it out.

Anyway, in NJ, I had a ticket that I didn't pay. Eventually they suspended my license over it. I had to pay the ticket, an overdue ticket penalty, and an extra $100ish to have my license restored. Freaking racket, yes, but they aren't going to let you off the hook.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009

bossy lady posted:

Yup, 5 feet vs. 7 feet doesn't make poo poo worth of a difference when you were totally in the wrong either way. Ie it's not bullshit so suck it up.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, tracking down the owner of a car literally takes a few seconds if you're a city. And if its like red light cameras they'll just say you were "responsible" for the vehicle or some poo poo unless its reported stolen.

It might vary by state, but I know in some they HAVE to get a picture of your face for the red light camera ticket to hold up. There was the story about that guy that was wearing a gorilla mask or something and he got out of his camera tickets since they couldn't prove he was driving.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Chrispy posted:

They do this where I live too, and I think the way it works is hilarious for some reason. You can get the boot off by calling a phone number on the boot, giving your info and credit card number, and then you get a code to punch into a number pad on the boot itself. It pops off, and you have to drive it back to the city traffic office yourself. If you don't have a credit card you have to go there and pay the fine first, they give you the code, and then you have to go give their boot back.

Heh, that is pretty loving funny. It can't be legal for then to put the onus on you to get the boot returned though. That's weird. Bet they come after you if you leave it wherever, or throw it in the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

This should be in the legal megathread.