Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
Mesa used to make a Dual Rectifier combo. Not sure if it's still in production. It was definitely a more modern distortion sound than an AC30 but still sounded really great for a 2x12" combo.

You can change the bias in a Mesa with a switch to accommodate EL34 tubes and give it more of a Marshall JCM 800 sound if that's your thing.

I do love Mesa stuff because it's EXTREMELY well built. The clean channel on the Dual Rectifier stays extremely clean even at loud volumes just like a good Fender. They have another channel on those amps that's kind of a go between the clean and high gain settings too. They're pretty versatile as far as sounds go.

I know you can find the Dual Rectifier heads all day long on the used market for sub 1000. The guitar player in my band picked up a Triple Rectifier head (150W version of the Dual Rectifier) with a flight case about a year ago for 800 bucks!

Hogscraper fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
If you're after those 90s grunge sounds you'll get that tone by playing a super clean amp like a Fender Twin Reverb or Mesa with a stock distortion pedal in front of it like a Boss DS-1/DS-2 or ProCo Rat.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

baka kaba posted:

I mentally high-fived you when I opened the thread and saw the pic

I don't have any handy amp info though :( Except don't buy a 100W stack if you're going to leave the master volume on 1
I thought the same thing. <3 Boris. I have seen them 3 times now. Amazing show. You can watch faces ripple due to the air pressure from high SPL levels.

Also, 50W is plenty loud. Buy an amp for the tone you like unless part of your tone is loud.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

ruinedhero posted:

Much love to all the Boris fans here!

I pulled the trigger and got the Blackstar combo - the price was just too good to pass up on, the 4th of July coupon let me get everything with tax and warranty (the guitar center :ughh: warranty saved my rear end on gear before and is actually one of the best warranties I've ever used) for $906. Everything I've seen and heard on it made it the only New amp in it's level that was affordable and had the tone I was looking for.
You DID audition it before you bought it, right? Write up a review after you've dug into it for a bit.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

ruinedhero posted:

Thank you SO much for posting this - again from what I've heard from owners and heard it sounded ok but I don't remember seeing it maybe more than once or twice in all the bands I've seen live. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with it, but your pain has probably been felt by everyone in this thread.

I bought a Marshall JCM 2000 half stack a decade ago and was extremely disappointed with it's limitations. It was pretty much Marshall sound or nothing and did not play friendly with any overdrive or distortion effects I used. Others love the sound, but it just felt so limited to me. It sounds like for you the Spider is the jack of all trades but the master of none which is a common complaint for the amps that have a shitload of features/emulators.
My guitar player has a JCM 2000 and I love the hell out of that thing but you're right about it not really sounding right with any pedals. The clean stage in that amp is supposed to be based on a Plexi Lead 100 and I don't think those play well with many pedals either. It doesn't sound bad with a fuzz box but that's about it.

Back to Line 6 stuff... I have owned several of their products in the past and I always refer to the as the great equalizer meaning, no matter what guitar you plug into it it always sounds the same. Nice if all you own are lovely instruments. Terrible if you own something really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
For those who are curious the JCM 2000 is based off of two amps. The clean/crunch channel is based off of the Plexi Super Lead 100 and the high gain channel sounds pretty much the same as a JCM 800 with a high gain mod. If you crank the gain you sound like Kerry King, if you back the gain down you sound like Slash. The clean/crunch channel is not very clean at all even with the gain turned way down.

If you have or are thinking about getting a JCM 2000 I highly recommend pairing it with a good graphic EQ in the effects loop.

IMO the only thing that's really lacking in the 50W amp my friend has is the ability to EQ the channels separately. You have one bass/mid/treble control for three channels.