Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
im thinking about buying an amp, I use to have an AC15 which blew up on me but it was a bit too loud for apartment use. I use a lot of pedals and would like to keep it tube. I'd like to spend <1000 on it and don't care about going used. I play mostly rock, nothing too high gain and I have an affinity for all things Radiohead anyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ruinedhero posted:

Twilight - The Blackstar tube 2x12 combo I just purchased is in the mail and is less than $1000 and I will be reviewing it here, from what I have heard and read you can get a great brit tone off of it for radiohead type use. I'll go learn a radiohead song over the next week or two, play it on the amp and mic it with a Shure SM 58 I have and post it on here. Can someone give me a really easy radiohead song for guitar lol, creep would be easy I guess, maybe the chorus for There There, eh I'll demo you something on it! :)

sweet looking forward to it. there there is pretty simple you can tackle that np.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

RailFan92 posted:

Oops. Had my new AC15 at max volume for an afternoon last week. Just got around to messing with it for the first time since then. Was greeted with a popping noise when I turned it on and now, instead of a nice overdrive when I turn it up, I just get a horrible tearing tone. gently caress.

Same thing happened to mine after about 2 months. I put it in for repair and it ended up costing more than the amp was worth : /

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any insight into the Egnater Rebel 20 head? I've been thinking about it due to the ability to blend different types of tubes as well as change the wattage around. I'm primarily playing in my apartment so being able to lower the wattage at night is a plus.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

bisticles posted:

I had one and it sounded great at low volumes. Between the gain, master volume, and wattage knobs, there are a lot of ways to dial in the drive you want. The tube mix knob really doesn't make as much of a difference as you might think. You have to be really pushing the power tubes to hear a difference between them, so it's not like you're flipping a switching and going from Fender to Marshall or anything.

The only problem I really had with it, and the reason I ended up trading it, was that it wouldn't get loud enough. I kept having to dial in gain to push it a little harder, and that ended up distorting more than I wanted it to.

For a tiny amp to have around the house, it's great, though. Very nicely made, looks classy, and gives a WIDE variety of sounds. I'd say grab it, but expect to pick up something else if you end up playing with others.

Thanks for the information, I really thought that the tube knob would have more impact but it makes sense it wouldn't be as far reaching as I might think.