Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Fellow ISO agreeing with this. It's genuinely scary how big a difference there is between individuals. Part of it is because training is just this side of "completely broken" in my office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Training is pretty broken at SSA too.

I'm sitting in training right now for answering the 1-800 number, as my job position is supposed to hop onto it whenever there is extreme demand. Back when I got hired in 2010 they didn't train people for the phones right away, as the idea was you should learn the job (being comfortable with beneficiary records and solving problems with them) before you take calls (now you get phone training first thing after you are hired, which is questionable as it takes a long time to learn the gigantic amount of systems and records at SSA and how they interact).

Their method for training people to answer the phone is completely rigid: give the exact same training as if you were a brand new teleservice rep (the position that ONLY answers phones, all day every day). So despite me having 4+ years of experience I'm reviewing the most basic job elements that are second nature to me, alongside with wads of information that is brand new. It's really hard to go back and forth between the two. All we do is read gigantic training manuals, skim through exercises that are just repeating lines from the relevant chapters, and take 'tests' where they instructors literally give us the training manual page number the answer is on for each question beforehand. Also the test scores don't matter everyone will have to answer phones no matter what. It's terrifying how bad some people who are already answering phones are, all over my building.

And there are people in my training class that are in worse situations - a couple people have 30-40 years of experience (one has a retirement date already set for like the day after class ends), a couple have BEEN teleservice reps in the past and are suffering through mandatory retraining in their new positions, and a couple are employees with hearing disabilities who can't answer the 1-800 number yet as the TDD phones for the 1-800 number aren't set up yet and probably won't be for a long time.

The instructors freely acknowledge the training is a giant waste of time and could be done much more efficiently (it's a two MONTH long class), but this is just The Way It's Done and there's nothing they can do.

The biggest problem here, though, is that when it's all said and done there ends up being almost zero accountability for your actions. If you gently caress up a case, it will probably be months before your error comes to light (or before a beneficiary realizes their check didn't come) and someone else will probably end up having to fix it, as people's "digits" (range of SSNs they are responsible for) change so frequently. I have tried many times to send cases back to the person who is the source of an error (especially when it's an error caused by blatant laziness or incompetence) and was almost always told by my manager that it'd be more efficient to just fix it myself. Yes, it might be, but when they're making mistakes like that every day and nobody is ever going to call them out on it, it's a problem. Even in the rare event that I do get to send a case back to someone to fix their mess, if I look at the record a day later it usually turns out they just halfassed the repair or didn't notify the beneficiary what the hell went wrong (if they notified them at all!).

OK, now I'm just ranting about bad coworkers. I will say that there are some people here who have an unbelievable amount of knowledge and are extremely thorough, both new hires and old timers. There are also people I teach how to right click and copy/paste.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
FederalGovernment.txt

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

p much

Doctor Bovine
Aug 7, 2007
Proud graduate of Bovine University
I'm applying/interviewing for federal jobs and have another interview next week. If the past is a good predictor of the future, I will not be extended an offer. However, in the event that I am, how much negotiation is possible when it comes to salary and vacation? The internet tells me that there are only 13 days of vacation annually for the first three years of federal service, which is then bumped to 20 days . I've done both Peace Corps and AmeriCorps -- is it at all possible to leverage that?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

As you said, the number of vacation days per year (technically the number of vacation hours per two week pay period) jumps from 4 hours per pay period (~13 days/year) to 6 hours to 8 hours after a certain number of years of employment. From people I've talked to who have been hired recently, there is some leeway if you have experience (some of our support contractors converting to GS, for example) or prior service, so it could potentially be possible to start at 6 hours per pay period if you had enough "years of experience", but more likely you'd just start at 4 hours per, with fewer years until you hit 6.

I am not a hiring manager, though.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Doctor Bovine posted:

I'm applying/interviewing for federal jobs and have another interview next week. If the past is a good predictor of the future, I will not be extended an offer. However, in the event that I am, how much negotiation is possible when it comes to salary and vacation? The internet tells me that there are only 13 days of vacation annually for the first three years of federal service, which is then bumped to 20 days . I've done both Peace Corps and AmeriCorps -- is it at all possible to leverage that?

Do you still have NCE from Peace Corps?

I still have about 3.5 months left in Peace Corps, but have started applying to federal positions since I know the process can take so long. I recently applied to a status position, and put a draft of a Description of Service in with my application, but they said I didn't qualify due to being non-status. I sent an email back asking exactly what they're looking for from status candidates applying under the Peace Corps special hiring authority. I figure they either don't know that there is a Peace Corps special hiring authority, or took a look at my draft of my Description of Service (which certifies my Non-Competitive Eligibility) and saw that there was no country director signature. In any case, I am glad I started applying so early, so that I learn the quirks of the system and really buckle down and apply en masse starting late January.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Doctor Bovine posted:

No negotiation on vacation as far as I know. 4/6/8 hours of annual leave accrual per two week pay period for 0, 3, and 15 years of service benchmarks.

You will get credited the time you spent in the Peace Corps (and I think Americorps, too) towards your tenure in federal service. It's called your comp date or something. Note that they dont' include the time you spent in training, just after you swore in. I had to COS early because my wife and I found out we were having a baby, but it was still cool to get over a year of time credited to my career. I'm one year closer to those sweet, sweet 6 hours of leave.

Maybe with Americorps and PC you could hit 3 yrs from the start...

quote:

I still have about 3.5 months left in Peace Corps, but have started applying to federal positions since I know the process can take so long.

Regarding NCE, seriously take advantage of that and check out the Peace Corps job board daily. I saw the listings in my agency on there and all they wanted was a resume and proof of my NCE. No USAJobs BS to deal with. I emailed them my stuff directly and had a job offer within a few weeks. Totally not normal for federal jobs, but the kind of thing you can swing with NCE by skipping the normal process. I work with about 7 other RPCVs as well, and we all got in the same way.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Thesaurus posted:

Regarding NCE, seriously take advantage of that and check out the Peace Corps job board daily. I saw the listings in my agency on there and all they wanted was a resume and proof of my NCE. No USAJobs BS to deal with. I emailed them my stuff directly and had a job offer within a few weeks. Totally not normal for federal jobs, but the kind of thing you can swing with NCE by skipping the normal process. I work with about 7 other RPCVs as well, and we all got in the same way.

Cool! Yea I check the PC job board daily. My COS conference is in the second week of January, so I hope to have an unofficial DOS signed by my CD so that I can start applying to PC job board stuff throughout February and March.

The HR contractor emailed me back and said I was qualified after looking at my application more closely, so keeping my fingers crossed!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Doctor Bovine posted:

Don't forget the 13 days of sick leave and federal holidays. It works out to 36 days off and is wonderful.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

Don't forget the 13 days of sick leave and federal holidays. It works out to 36 days off and is wonderful.

And government shutdowns! They usually pay you afterwards.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm in the 6 hour band and it is nice. Especially when they gave us the extra 4 hours at the end of the year.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I'm in the 6 hour band and it is nice. Especially when they gave us the extra 4 hours at the end of the year.

So am I. It's amazing how quickly it adds up, even with the amount of unscheduled leave I've had to take this year (wife had appendicitis, grandma died, etc.).

I also work from home three days a week. It's glorious.

Now if they would stop cutting my agency's funding (IRS).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Man_of_Teflon posted:

The instructors freely acknowledge the training is a giant waste of time and could be done much more efficiently (it's a two MONTH long class), but this is just The Way It's Done and there's nothing they can do.

This is the worst part about working for the government, when something stupid has been legal mandated that everyone knows is stupid but has to be done.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It sure seems like we get more than 13 days' sick leave a year, based on how wistfully I stare at my high numbers in that category. But I suppose that is just teaching me that I am a drat fool for refusing to use sick days.

Also yeah, holidays plus occasional random extra days off (the 26th this year!) plus early dismissal before holidays plus (for the radical agencies) flexible scheduling, working from home, credit time, oh wow, such great federals!!!

plus I need to work for the public sector for 10 years so they can wave the Student Loan Destruction wand

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Quarex posted:

It sure seems like we get more than 13 days' sick leave a year, based on how wistfully I stare at my high numbers in that category. But I suppose that is just teaching me that I am a drat fool for refusing to use sick days.

I'm pretty sure everybody earns 8 hours of SL per biweek (even when you're just earning 4 or 6 hours of AL per biweek).

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

4 hours sick leave per two weeks, even if you're earning 6 or 8 LA.

It still stacks up fast, though, and I haven't had to use or lose sick leave...

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 20, 2014

Doctor Bovine
Aug 7, 2007
Proud graduate of Bovine University

laxbro posted:

Do you still have NCE from Peace Corps?

I believe so. I went to grad school directly after Peace Corps and read somewhere that the hiring agency has the discretion to extend my NCE based on that. So I've been claiming NCE on my applications. I hope that's alright.

I'm hoping with my Peace Corps and AmeriCorps, I'll start off at the three year vacation rate. I have three years of other NGO experience, but assume that doesn't count.

Where's this Peace Corps job board you speak of? I've had relatively good luck getting interviews off of USAjobs (four thus far, but no offers yet), but I welcome other suggestions.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
oops wrong thread

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Quarex posted:

Also yeah, holidays plus occasional random extra days off (the 26th this year!) plus early dismissal before holidays plus (for the radical agencies) flexible scheduling, working from home, credit time, oh wow, such great federals!!!

plus I need to work for the public sector for 10 years so they can wave the Student Loan Destruction wand

God I have so much sick leave. I need to stop giving a crap about whether people will think I'm a bad person for using it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

CherryCola posted:

God I have so much sick leave. I need to stop giving a crap about whether people will think I'm a bad person for using it.

Seriously. When I left my last (local) government job I had something like 800 hours banked. Poof, disappeared into smoke.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
SL does count toward retirement starting this year. 2000 hrs = 1% added to pension.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
1% COLA raise. What was the rate of inflation this year?

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
If you use the same rate we use in private industry it's 1.3% as of November. I just want into federal accounting without having to wait 2 years for my experience. Is that so much to ask?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

CherryCola posted:

If you're not actively involved in a serious project that is contingent upon you being there just use it, it's a job perk and no one will give a poo poo (and if they do gently caress em), it's pretty low on the list of federal employment sins

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Looking to toss my hat in with the FAA's air traffic controller exam again. Took the exam in 2012 and was WQ (well qualified), but budget cuts caused the announcement to be canceled mid-interview. Just turned 29, so I'd like to give this another go as I consider longterm career opportunities.

Problem is, I can't find any ATC announcements in my area.

Any info or advice I can take with me as I start this process all over again? I have 4 years of college, missing 3 credits towards a BA in Psychology...so considering finishing up that, as well, in 2015.
Thanks in advance! :v:

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Any TSA TO goons here? I applied on a whim and absent mindedly stumbled through the application process last fall not expecting it to go anywhere until late this year. Surprise I submitted my background check a week before Christmas and it cleared on 1/2.

I'm in the Ready Pool now for LAX. It's just a matter of time until a job offer is made, hopefully within 6 months. Anyone familiar with the post know when training classes are typically scheduled? Are there quarterly openings, are they opened when a certain number of candidates are cleared, or some other scheduling scheme?

I'll take the job offer no matter what but with two jobs, classes starting this week, and volunteer work it would be nice to have a hint so I know what I can commit to.

johnm
Apr 3, 2013

always follow orders,
little bees
Welcome to the straight path,

Phrasing posted:

Any TSA TO goons here?

TSO Goon checking in. It's my day off so I'll be your Virgil. Come along, young Dante...

Phrasing posted:

I applied on a whim and absent mindedly stumbled through the application process last fall not expecting it to go anywhere until late this year. Surprise I submitted my background check a week before Christmas and it cleared on 1/2.

Using human logic, your SF-86 is a rather simple document to fill out (RTFM). If properly done the investigation can be completed quickly. (probably OPM/FBI, SSBI usually). So, you can follow directions and fill out paperwork, you'll go far here.

Phrasing posted:

I'm in the Ready Pool now for LAX. It's just a matter of time until a job offer is made, hopefully within 6 months. Anyone familiar with the post know when training classes are typically scheduled? Are there quarterly openings, are they opened when a certain number of candidates are cleared, or some other scheduling scheme?

All damned souls enter here after death.. I mean.. the Ready Pool is culled when needed. The FTE needs to hit a certain percentage of employees and then it will be opened and HR will contact you, usually at the e-mail address and/or phone number specified on your application within the 'HRAccess' web portal. Most duty stations pick the number needed to fill a class when needed by the staffing model. Not all will complete training or wish to work where assigned. (Part-time, possible single function at the checkpoint or baggage area only, limited OT, etc)

Phrasing posted:

I'll take the job offer no matter what but with two jobs, classes starting this week, and volunteer work it would be nice to have a hint so I know what I can commit to.

Unless hired for full-time directly after training and evaluations, you'll more than likely work a five-day week, with two adjoined RDOs (Regular Days Off), probably hitting 25-hour weeks on whatever shift they decide. (Note: This is different at each duty station, contact their local HR to inquire about the specifics if they themselves know, or ask to leave a message with their SOO once you've started the training class or at least have been assigned a starting date for it.) Each duty station opens their shifts based upon their SOO (Scheduling Operations Officer) and/or Program Analysts' needs, and will probably assign everyone without a bid, or with an in-grade bid based upon an arbitrary attribute associated with your class (since everyone will have the same EOD date unless being rehired/retrained for RTD).

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. Once in, you will have every opportunity to move up the ladder once you hit certain time constraints and pay grade bumps. We are not anything like GS where you can be bumped up for time in service, as you must be promoted to actually push your grade up. Starting, you'll be a D-band officer (1802 series) until your probation is up and you pass all your PSE's like a good boy. E-band opens the world up, and one day not too long after that you'll be the FSD or RD of a nice tropical region, and have maids and stuff. Let me impart some wisdom from my myriad years of service to our great nation and it's most treasured department, DeeAichEss.

Hear me now, believe me later:
    1. Prepare your body and mind for OLC (online learning center)
    2. Imagine the nice 15-minute break you'll get once a shift as a PT officer
    3. Get ready to work with a diverse group of people, from GEDs to Masters/PhDs, from 18 year olds who can't drink with you after work to sixty-five year olds who can't drink with you after work
    4. Pray that you get a terminal manager who has your back and supports you as much as the mission, the people make the duty assignment way more than the location at which you work by a long shot
    5. At least you're not coming to work at Newark

If you have any intelligent questions (that have not been answered here and can't be asked to the local HR) then drop me a line and I'll do my best to help answer them.

v/r,
johnm

johnm fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 29, 2022

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

caldari posted:

Excellent post

Thanks. Your post covered just about everything for the moment.

Baiku fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 13, 2015

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
e: n/m

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
I'm filling out an application on USAjobs and may need to include a proof of eligibility document with my current position. Is there anywhere online to obtain this? I was hoping it would be online somewhere instead of having to figure out where to get one and then scan into my laptop. It would be great if it was in my AKO account or something like that!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Delayed Reaction posted:

I'm filling out an application on USAjobs and may need to include a proof of eligibility document with my current position. Is there anywhere online to obtain this? I was hoping it would be online somewhere instead of having to figure out where to get one and then scan into my laptop. It would be great if it was in my AKO account or something like that!

For 5/10 points? Ebenefits, theres forms you can generate

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Delayed Reaction posted:

If you mean something like proof of time in grade, there is!

My favorite part of federal service is how there are all these great things out there that no one tells you about.

http://cpol.army.mil/library/general/eOPF/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, do not feel bad for not knowing about EOPF, it is probably mentioned in passing once in your onboarding session and then never again. If your place of work is anything like mine, you will probably have to wait weeks for somebody to finally notice your ticket request for a password reset because you have no idea what the default was in the first place. But get on that now!

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

a posting ghost posted:

For 5/10 points? Ebenefits, theres forms you can generate

Hackan Slash posted:

If you mean something like proof of time in grade, there is!

My favorite part of federal service is how there are all these great things out there that no one tells you about.

http://cpol.army.mil/library/general/eOPF/

Quarex posted:

Yeah, do not feel bad for not knowing about EOPF, it is probably mentioned in passing once in your onboarding session and then never again. If your place of work is anything like mine, you will probably have to wait weeks for somebody to finally notice your ticket request for a password reset because you have no idea what the default was in the first place. But get on that now!

Wow, thanks!! I'm on it!
edit: I don't know what the heck I'm looking at but I'll figure it out. This is awesome, and no no one ever told me!
edit 2: I figured it out, now I just need to find the notebook I wrote all of my security questions for my AKO password in.

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 17, 2015

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Hired! Doing my on-boarding right now. Federal service likes its acronyms doesn't it?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Just make sure you keep track of the new 1,067 unique username and password combinations you now have.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Just got my single sign on smart card after only a year. Thank effin' gsa.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Just got my single sign on smart card after only a year. Thank effin' gsa.

Only one? Give it a few years... Two words for you, Alternate Tokens. (Why they need to reside on alternate cards is anyone's guess.) Plus the previously mentioned thousands of usernames and passwords, and btw change them every 30 days or you are locked out. And half of the systems out there don't even give you a warning about it. Gotta love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Just make sure you keep track of the new 1,067 unique username and password combinations you now have.

So true! I just spent 3 days getting back into my AKO account because I lost the notebook I had my user name, password and security answers in. Now that I am in I can't figure out where to go to get the document I need for an application. I have to show proof that I am a current government employee or they won't accept it. I called the office today and the lady told me which one it was but I wasn't able to write it down and can't remember. Does anyone know?