Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hey everyone! So I was wondering if I could come here for some advice about a job I've applied for through USAJOBS. After finishing up with grad school in Engineering, I seriously considered going to law school for patent law. However, in the end, thanks in part to the law school thread, I decided to apply to be a Patent Examiner for the USPTO, which would have me working in the DC area.

I completed my application for the GS-7/GS-9 Patent Examiner position in mid-February and never really thought of it much outside of being a pipe dream. However, as the process continued, I noticed my application status become more...interesting. I received notice that I was eligible and that my application was headed to a selecting official. Later, I received an invitation for a phone interview, which I also accepted. I had my phone interview last week and haven't really heard back since.

I originally dismissed this job opportunity as no shot in hell, but that there was no harm in trying. Now, especially after being selected for an interview, I feel I may have a shot at this. I have not heard any bad news or good news, the only thing since my interview is I still get e-mail notifications saying my application has been updated, even though nothing has changed that I am aware of (which may or may not mean something in itself). I'm not a patient person, so this wait is unnerving to me; and it would be nice to have some answers to a few questions if there are any available:

1. Is it meaningful to have been given a phone interview? Or is the hiring process at this point not very competitive and they are basically giving everyone a shot?

2. How long is the wait usually for government jobs such as this? I know that I've heard the generalization that the government takes forever to do something, but I'm sort of at a critical point in my life in terms of what I want to do with my career and personal life, so I want to make sure I'm giving this opportunity enough time to process.

3. Do USAJobs applications typically give out notifications if you do not receive a job or consideration for it? I am well aware of the idea of companies/employers not interested in you never contacting you; but I honestly have had very few interviews, and zero interviews that did not turn into jobs in my young career. I don't know anything about the process that USAJobs works through.

4. A lesser important question, but does anyone know how many more steps in the hiring process there are past phone interviews, in general? I'm sure there would be a second, more personal interview later on.

Thanks for considering and possibly replying to my issue. I don't really want to hear anything about how lovely the job is in itself. I have done a good bit of research into the position and feel very comfortable that this is the right kind of job for me, should I land it. I know it's very dull, but I'm ok with that. It's a huge deal for me because this could be a position that could very well become my career and be the catalyst to finally getting engaged to my longtime girlfriend and settling down.

E: Oh and just a minor detail, but I felt very good about my interview, with no real blunders happening. Of course, that's all subjective, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the valuable information, guys.

Nintyfresh, if you can remember, how long was it between your panel interview and your round two tour? The fact it's been a little over a week since the interview is a little unsettling for me, but our hiring processes are obviously a bit different and, since I haven't heard a rejection yet, I won't get too worried about it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So...when is a good time to give up on hoping for a job offer after an interview? The closing date for my patent examiner job was originally the first of April, but it's been extended to the 13th. I had my interview a week and a half ago. My application status on USAJobs is still "Active". Should I even expect to hear anything offer-wise until the closing date?

All this is so confusing to me, I e-mailed the contact for questions earlier this week; but I haven't heard back from her.

e: I just discovered that USAJobs at least appears to be more helpful than I thought. The application status is still active and the vacancy is still open, and after perusing the application status page I realize it should tell me if I'm not selected. I'm going to put this out of my mind for the next week. Waiting for an answer is tearing me up inside.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 7, 2012

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is loving bullshit.

The job I've applied to's closing date got changed from tomorrow to May 5th. I guess that means pretty much three to four weeks of more waiting. Goddammit.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
After bitching and complaining for the last page on this thread, I got my job offer today. GS-7 Patent Examiner, exactly three weeks after my phone interview. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I may have some questions about my move to DC in the next few weeks, especially since my start date is a little over a month from now.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Isn't there, like, a chance you can serve jail time if you don't sign up with the selective services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking at a promotion in the next few weeks (GS-7-GS-9). How do the promotion/steps work again? I know it's you look at your step, go to the next GS level, pick the one closest to your pay and go up one step. My salary step is right between two values in the next GS level, and...well, if I round down I'm looking at a really meager promotion. How does the promotion pay scale work again?