Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How many of you have had success with getting paid internships? I was talking to a recruiting federal jobs recruiting representative and she said that most of them aren't listed on the USA jobs website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

dvgrhl posted:

When you say internships, are you meaning STEP positions? I started as a STEP, then was converted to a SCEP, then offered a full-time position upon graduation. I got an e-mail from my school's career development department with the job posting. It was sent in by a former graduate who worked there.

Yeah, this is what I'm interested in. Did you get the offering from the career development office, or was that only after you were an intern?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Going to a government and NGO job fair on Monday hunting for internships.

On a side note, it looks like the CIA is fiendishly recruiting college grads this year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Is this a school-specific job fair, or can anyone attend? I just moved to DC and I'd like to start my in-person job hunt.

This particular one is school-specific, however I do know that they have open house job fairs all the time in D.C., particularly at GWU. There was also a big one recently at UVA.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

Any/all grads? When they came to my school in Houston they were quite open that they were only really interested in native speakers of foreign tongues.

They're recruiting the poo poo out of our Latin American and Iberian Studies majors for their foreign media intelligence section. I just so happen to be one, so they've been hitting me up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Learned a surprising amount about the GAO today. Might have to look them up in the future if my current plan doesn't work out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kase Im Licht posted:

Oh I'm not under any delusions that this step means its going any farther. I'm just excited to have made it somewhere new. Other than apps where they're looking for very basic qualifications and then sending you on to some sort of test, I've never got a positive response back.

From talking with several people knowledgeable of the hiring processes, it looks like applying through USA Jobs is the hardest possible way to get hired. Have you tried applying to any FCIP positions? They're significantly harder to find because there's usually no published information on them, however this also decreases the number of applications substantially and usually results in a lot more human interaction with your resume.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zoo posted:

I just hope we get a miracle and it passes in the lame duck so we can avoid any FY11 slicing in the new Congress; that could delay us past January.

It wouldn't surprise me if the current Congress went ahead and passed most of the funding bills before recess as a parting "gently caress you" to the incoming Congress. If that's not the case, I wouldn't expect them to pass anything until after January as the fiscally conservative house goes hack and slash on the budget.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A hiring freeze would certainly ruin my day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yeah, that's all they're talking about. The 2011 rates were going to be 1% higher than 2010, so we're really not talking serious money here that we're losing anyway: like $25-50 a paycheck pre-tax

True, but you have to take inflation into consideration. It's been low recently, however the Fed is trying to change that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

:10bux: says congress approves their own annual pay raise.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently the GOP is pushing to have the funding issue resolved this term. This is kind of surprising, considering one would have expected them to wait until they can do whatever they want with it next term.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

menpoop posted:

I obviously have no idea if yall are talking from positions where you'd know this for certain, but this is really unreasonable. These things were literally on the front page of major international newspapers and have been talked about on CNN endlessly. Just loading the Guardian or NYTimes websites would have netted you some information about the cables.

The OPM stated that it's fine for employees to read news articles about information released on WikiLeaks, however they are to respect the classification status of the actual documents themselves.

In other words, they don't want federal employees to view the documents directly.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BP should be a shoe in, though, since they had their budget increased substantially (well, theoretically).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ugh, good God the federal hiring process is so slow compared to the civilian world.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well I'll be damned. Got the phonecall to schedule my interview today.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Made it past the phone interview! Now I have to do one face to face in DC in January.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

chuchumeister posted:

That being said, is there some way I can continue to apply for these jobs and be considered despite not actually living there at the moment? :/

Are you sure it was because of your geographic location? Otherwise, I think it depends entirely upon the agency. When I did my phone interview with the DA for this FCIP position they told me that they were flying in people from all over the country and putting them up in DC for the final round of interviews in January.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Weird. Don't know what to tell you other than try reapplying when you actually move to NY maybe?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

God damnit, my personal interview got cancelled because the OPM revised their guidelines for hiring this far in advance for FCIP positions.

e: At least I have a hit from the DHS.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 29, 2010

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

IndyPunkOne posted:

Might have also had something to do with this?

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1210/122710ts1.htm

:negative:

God loving drat it. All of the offers I got were for FCIP positions; unless the agencies can come up with another alternative this pretty much kills any chance I had of getting hired by the federal government. Thank Zeus I applied to private companies as well.

e: As someone mentioned earlier: "The order is expected to be fully implemented within a year, the official said." Yeah, that doesn't exactly help me or anyone else applying right now. I might as well volunteer for a deployment to Afghanistan after OBC at this rate. At least then I'd get a damned 5 point veteran preference.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 30, 2010

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, I'll figure something out, but it's just highly frustrating and inconvenient because I pretty much already had one job offer locked down with another two on the way and now I have to look to the private sector. Any organization that seeks a profit is automatically a thousand times more of a pain in the rear end to apply to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think you've got it backwards, I can't think of any private company that is as much of a pain in the rear end to apply to as a federal government job.

The federal government is just loving slow. Otherwise they have a centralized application website and once you get set up it's really easy to apply to poo poo, even if you're doing it through email (a la FCIP).

Every private company you apply to has a different application process, different requirements (for similar positions), and can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 months to respond.

Now, if you're applying to an intelligence agency then holy poo poo yeah it's a pain in the rear end.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Every agency I applied to was handled by the application manager (which doesn't support Chrome) with the exception of the CIA, which understandably used a completely separate system.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Skandiaavity posted:

You may be in luck, though, since they're looking for Collectors: https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportunities/clandestine/core-collector.html

This looks like it's probably the single most dangerous job you could possibly have in the CIA.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Has anyone heard exactly what the timeline for the implementation of the new hiring programs is? I spoke with someone who works with the OPM and she said it was up to the individual agencies, but I'm guessing there's a no later than date, too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

From the executive order, I didn't see any deadline to set it up, just a concrete end for the FCIP in March 2011.

I emailed HR at CBP and they gave me a boilerplate "we'll let you know when we know".

They'd better hurry, otherwise they're going to miss the boat on this year's graduating seniors. Although, I have seen federal agencies listed at future career fairs this semester, so maybe some of them are planning on having it squared away by then.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Might be, although the new set of recruiting programs is supposed to be up and running within a year per the article that was posted a while back.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Xandu posted:

Now that I think about it, most of the people I know who got in as contractors had had some prior experience with the government, usually internships. A lot of the gov internships don't transfer directly to federal employment because of hiring rules, so they end up as contractors.

The only entry-level contracting jobs I can find require an active TS/SCI with full polygraph. It's making my active secret clearance self-conscious.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think it's kind of dumb that they give you the scholarship and then don't actually reserve a job for you. I mean, the military also gives out ROTC scholarships with the stipulation that you fulfill your service requirement or pay it back, but they don't give out more scholarships than they have positions available.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've seen a lot of defense contractors hiring arab linguists.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Are there any paid internship programs left? The problem with so much of the entry level being replaced by interns is that it makes it impossible for poor people to get these jobs. Even before I had student loans to pay I couldn't possibly live in DC for months without getting paid.

I've seen several, although most of them were for public corporations. Some of the law enforcement and intelligence agencies do a co-op scholarship/internship program that pays for your schooling and gives you a paid internship in the summer. I know the CIA does this for certain - you do two summers with them as a paid intern and when you're done you're basically guaranteed a job there.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of locked outside the job/experience ouroboros. I wish I'd been more proactive in doing those unpaid internships (ugh) as an undergrad to get my foot in the door, but I spent so much time abroad there wasn't really a lot of opportunity :-\
Yeah, I definitely hear that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zoo posted:

I have not gone through this program, but few people seem to know about it and I do know five people--that number is precise, because I can recall names of PALACE ACQUIRE former interns-- who've had great success with it. I think it's a three-year program. While three of them are still "languishing" at ~GS/GG-11 a year after completion (not too bad however) and one is a -12 equivalent with a master's degree (could do better, could do worse), one required only nine years to land a senior position in a major intelligence agency, albeit part of that is testament to her capabilities. This isn't so much because the program is so good, I'd guess, but more just because it's a way to get your foot in the door and that's what matters.

There are also programs like the cyber-for-service DHS program discussed briefly up-thread, which I'm not qualified to drop knowledge on. Someone else might know about it. But there are programs; that's the takeaway.

edit: didn't notice that Xandu linked to some of those already; just more fuel for your fire.
I was at the final round of interviews for the Department of the Army equivalent to this program. They're all currently FCIP positions though, and will be suspended after March until the OPM gives them the go ahead to hire under the new programs (hence why my application is now in limbo).

They seem to be a really good gig, though. Even if you only spend a few years with the federal government after you transition to permanent status, the amount of training and experience they give you (the DA one actually send its employees through Quartermaster/Transportation BOLC, including all of the FTXs) would make it incredibly easy to transition to another job in the private sector.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey, do you know where I can find information on those intelligence agency funded scholarships for grad school? I knew about the internships, but I haven't found anything on that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I dunno, I think I'm done accepting scholarships with fine print. When I go back for my master's degree it's going to be in something that I really like (probably urban planning) and I'm using tuition assistance instead.

psydude fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 24, 2011

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

HiddenReplaced posted:

Hiring freeze has been announced for DOJ and CDC. Hurray...

How long will the freezes last? Just until the new budgets come out?...right?....RIGHT?!

HOR is cutting the budget to ribbons. Don't hold your breath.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I rounded up and they didn't seem to care.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Were you in the engineer regiment at all? They love combat engineers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The engineer regiment does actually make use of degreed engineers in the form of officers at higher levels. That said, I don't think you should rejoin the Army just to get a job with USACE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is the TSA a good way to get your foot in the door for other federal investigation agencies?