Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

mune posted:

I applied for this position and I am very, very interested in this one (more so than others I've applied for). Got my fingers crossed!

Good luck! I made it to the 2nd to last step in the process last year. I am not sure if it that is a great accomplishment or not. It is an interesting hiring process. The interviewer stated that he thought I was a solid candidate, but my lack of military or law enforcement background was the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Anyone have any experience with a contact service representative role with the IRS? I am a bit nervous about accepting. The only reason I want the position is to just get in the IRS and hopefully move to a better position as soon as possible. I doubt I would enjoy this job, but would be willing to suffer for something better down the road.

It is also only seasonal. Not sure how it would work with student loans, but I could probably make it work.

Is there any real possibility of moving out of this department? Or will I be stuck in the call center only hoping to move up to a manager position?

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

NintyFresh posted:

I actually was hired last year as a contact rep up in Baltimore. I was only in the job for only a week before I got a firm offer for a full year job, which I jumped ship to. As you can see, looking at my post history, I'm waiting to move into a professional ladder series now.

It is a good way to get your foot in the door, but it will take some time to move up within the IRS itself. Internal IRS jobs rely heavily on performance appraisals, and as a seasonal, it will take a longer time to get 4/5 ratings. Most people I talked to were moved from seasonal to permanent within 3 or so years. Some end up being lifers since they prefer seasonal work.

Also, being seasonal means that you will be on non-paid status during the off months, which can vary depending on call volume and the current budget. During the off-season, you may be eligible to get unemployment due to lack of work depending on the state.

They train you on the phones fast. Even though I was only there for two weeks, I was on all the systems and double-jacking on phone calls with taxpayers.

I'm glad I got into my current job when I did, because some callers get very irate. In the long run, I would say to take it. It allows you to establish an EOD which future leave will be based on, and to get into the government before stricter budgets may hurt hiring even more. After 90 days, you will be able to apply to jobs as a status candidate, which is really helpful with getting interviews in other agencies. Since getting the ability to apply to status, I've had 3 interviews, 1 job offer, and another possibility of an offer.

Thanks! I feel better about the job now. How do the benefits work for seasonal?