Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I have a year (well, like 10 months now) of noncompetitive status from being in the AmeriCorps. The bad part is that I'm moving to Madison, WI and there are hardly any govt. jobs there. Such a waste.

But, this USAjobs site/hiring process is a drat mess. I search by location and then after I apply for a position it tells me that there are no jobs in that location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
ok, applied to some of the CEP positions.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Does having non-competitive eligibility really help me out that much? What is the best way to take advantage of it?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

suboptimal posted:

Hey, so on the subject of interning... Remember the State Department Career Entry Program internships? Just got this in my inbox:

10,000 applicants. Hopefully one of us gets in!

I applied but never got an email back... I probably messed something up. ugg.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
On my 2009 taxes I didn't report about $900 worth of stuff I sold online to the IRS but I am wanting to apply for a job with them. I only made about $7000 last year so my dad said it wasn't worth reporting because I made so little to begin with.

Am I pretty much automatically disqualified?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

SWATJester posted:

Apparently at least 3 or 4 people from my former company in the Army are now in DSS. 3 Rangers and a former Marine.

I think the DSS position sounds really interesting. Although I would bet that they hire mostly former military/law enforcement even though they state that they accept people from all backgrounds.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Sirotan posted:

About 3-4 weeks ago they sent out emails letting you know if you made it to the next round. Then you had to fill out an application online, and were told after you submitted it that you'd hear back whether you were going to be referred to a hiring manager or not within 5 weeks. So it looks like you are SOL for this round, sorry. :(

Did everyone else pretty much click "yes" for each response on those CEP questionnaires?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Sirotan posted:

Pretty much. All but like 2 that I knew I couldn't justify in any way whatsoever.

yeah, that is what I did too. I'm hoping that my me having non-competitive status because I did a year in the AmeriCorps helps bump my application a bit higher.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Sirotan posted:

Heres what all of mine said:

Received these emails on July 25th.

The US govt. is usually really good about doing stuff on time.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

CherryCola posted:

Sooooo, just got a voicemail from the NGA saying that they want to offer me a job! Holy crap. For you government workers, any chance I'd actually start this job in less than a year?

I guess those language skills paid off. Congratulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Sirotan posted:

Oh hey I just now got the notification of my application for this position. And I only got a 96 on the assessment. :(

I got a 95.

Has anyone heard back from the other CEP positions (other than getting the assessment scores)?