Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
How does retirement transfer over from military to federal? I only plan on staying in the military for a total of 8 or 12 years, but at that point it's kind of stupid to not stay in for the retirement money at 20 years. From what I hear, you can "buy back" your service years when working for the federal government. What the hell does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Would a masters degree be far more beneficial to being selected for a job than a second bachelors in the same general field? In my case I'll have a BS in meteorology and I'm considering a BS in environmental chemistry. I mostly just want to coast for a couple of years using my GI bill and I'm not particularly interested in research, but if it's a big factor in federal jobs I might just suck it up and not be lazy.

scavok fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 23, 2012

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

grover posted:

A 2nd BS doesn't get you much (if anything). Even a masters gets your little; you're eligible to start as a GS-9 vice GS-7, but you'd already be a GS-11 by that point if you'd had started as a GS-7 today, and would also have two years of work experience.

"Environmental chemistry" sounds awfully nichey. Search usajobs for jobs you're interested in and what degrees they require for those positions- you're probably going to be better off with a straight "chemistry" MS even if your electives tend toward the environmental side. That will place you in consideration for far more positions.

Most of the physical/earth science jobs look to only require a BS in any science/engineering subject, so a niche major is still eligible. My primary interest is in meteorology and forecasting, which have more specific requirements that I meet, but I want to use my GI Bill first. If it were to only come down to a 2 pay grade difference that's not a big deal, I'm only worried about getting my foot in the door.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

Drewski posted:

What's your veteran's status? We vets can get some pretty exemplary benefits that can put us over the top on applications. Do you know if you qualify for VEOA or VRA? Do you have 30% disability? If you want your foot in the door you may just be able to kick the door in :v:

Look like I'd be eligible for VEOA and VRA, but not 30% disability. If I'm understanding VRA correctly, because I have some decorations from iraq/afghanistan, I'll still be eligible for it after being separated for more than 3 years?

scavok fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 25, 2012