Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am a senior intending to graduate around mid-June (missing a requisite PE class) with a BS in Biomedical Engineering. Like a lot of kids my age, I'm totally clueless as to what I'm going to do after graduation. I'm wondering if this would be a good path to go down? I have a few questions as a result.

Are federal jobs subject to discrimination over LGBT status? I'm transgendered, and I worry that I may be turned down if I am required to disclose my trans status. Is this a major problem, or what is the track record the government has for that sort of thing?

Is this a good place to start if I'm not-quite-just beginning my work experience? I am 21 years old and literally about to graduate with my BS, so I'm not exactly someone with five years in IT or something like that. I have some experience under my belt in research and being a lab assistant, but I'm worried that that wouldn't qualify me for anything. Does this mean that I should look elsewhere for employment? Is this a good place to start? If not, where?

Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How exactly do I get into an apprenticeship? I see that apprenticeships range from plumbing to welding to "telecommunications technician" to "stone setter and polisher" (jewelry) and the like, but...how do I actually JOIN one? Do I just call up the Office of Employment for the state I'm in or something?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What kind of opportunities would the government have for a recent graduate in BIomedical Engineering? What kind of pay grade would a Bachelors of Science in BME qualify for?