Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Deteriorata posted:

And coincidentally played for Michigan State.

Also Packers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Only up to a certain level of competence. The Saints have been fine with a league average/slightly above average LT. They spend their money on the interior line, instead. The theory is that the LT just has to chip or engage the opposing rusher briefly. Just long enough so that Brees can step up into the pocket and make an accurate throw.

Think about what the results are for a failure on the different parts of the offensive line and what options the QB has. If a tackle fails but the interior does their job, the QB can step up in the pocket to make a good pass. If the interior line fails, but the tackles do their job, the QB has to scramble. If both fail, the QB has to scramble.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't follow the advanced stats that much. They are a constantly changing and evolving field in football, though. DVOA (Defence value above replacement) is a pretty popular one, I believe. If you want to help contribute, it is definitely an open field. It might also be fun for you to take a look at some of the "Moon Polls" in this forum. They are attempts at ranking teams using just the stats for the current season.

However, there is still one simple stat (that isn't directly related to score) that most correlates to a win: turnovers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

jeffersonlives posted:

It's interesting you say that, because past turnovers don't really correlate to future turnovers since there's so much luck involved. So except in really broad strokes, turnovers don't have good predictive value at all.

True. I look at it as more of a per-game basis, thing. Like, if you looked at a box score and could only look at one stat (besides actual scores) to see who won, turnovers would be your best bet. But they are fluky and hard to reproduce (much to the dismay of my local Saints :().

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Diqnol posted:

Hey, can anyone explain to me or link to an explanation as to why the NFL doesn't have minor leagues like other sports? Please don't make CFL or Arena Football jokes, I'm serious.

Because the NCAA does it for them and gives better publicity than a normal minor league. The NFL also doesn't have to pay a dime.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

crm posted:

Does anyone know of any software that let's you draw up football plays?

Preferably free :D

poo poo, wasn't there a N64 game that would let you do this? Blitz, I think...

Regardless, I found this with a quick google search: http://www.footballplaysnow.com/ Looks like it has a free demo to try out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

crm posted:

Yeah, i saw that one, it gets pretty expensive if you want to use it more than a few days. (2 weeks, $15 what)

Now that I think about it, a version of one designed for mobile devices would be amazing. It would require lots of knowledge about what makes a formation legal, though. Maybe I will work on creating a half-assed one when I get bored one weekend.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cole posted:

Maybe I just don't remember, but was Tagliabue a better commissioner than Goodell? I don't remember there being as much talk about him being a piece of poo poo like people say about Goodell. In fact, I don't remember people talking about him much at all.

I don't know if he was better for the League or not, but Tagliabue was willing to compromise and work with the NFLPA in order to make sure both sides got things they really wanted in negotiations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
"Meat Market" is a pretty good look into college football, including recruiting.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Trin Tragula posted:

This usually isn't done except as an end-of-half thing because if you just let the kick drop and keep the gently caress away from it, you get the ball back at the spot of the kick (NFL) or where the ball was snapped (college), and 99.9% of the time that's a better and less risky option than trying to return it.

Yeah, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiOKyEXD8wc

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Benne posted:

The cap rules are utterly impenetrable to me so kudos on that Over The Cap site for even attempting to make sense of it.

Never attempt to understand the NBA salary cap rules, then. Teams have had to rework trades after league approval due to someone later realizing it violated some random clause and wouldn't work under the CBA. The popular FAQ on it has over 100 questions.

The NFL cap is simple and sane, in comparison.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Don't forget there is also always the possibility of being involved in a trade (whether your team creates the proposal or not).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Grifter posted:

This is pages back, but thanks everybody for the discussion of how recruiting in the NCAA matches up with team success. Now, next question!

What's a good site for in depth examinations of matchups? I'm thinking of something like the equivalent of the Jack Slack articles, but for Oregon vs. FSU.

You are probably best off looking for popular blogs of both teams. They are likely the only people who have watched enough of at least one of the teams to know them in-depth.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

El Seano posted:

Two questions:

1. Could you guys give me some details on other famous footballing families except the Mannings? It always interests me families having multiple successful athletes like Gasol brothers in the NBA.

2. I'm obsessed with the draft and all things draft related and will read anything you guys throw at me regarding it (seriously I've got about 4 longform articles queued up). Also anything about NCAA recruitment would be awesome too. I read this absolutely fascinating article about how the colleges recruit from high school which was partly the catalyst for me getting interested in football in the first place:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/1/29/7915749/national-signing-day-2015-profile-minkah-fitzpatrick-brandon-wimbush

It follows Minkah Fitzpatrick and Brandon Wimbush who were both four (or five I forget) star recruits out of high school and it astounded me the pressure and workload put on these kids who aren't even old enough to drink over there. I'll take anything you guys have on the draft or recruitment, the longer and more in depth the better. I'm reading through the threads we have that revisit old drafts and they're great too but I figured you guys would have more for me.

Thanks guys.

For the dirty side of recruiting, look up the Pony Excess documentary and find the article on bagmen. I'd link it to you, but phone posting.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Meat Market is a good one for college recruiting. It is a non-fiction book from a journalist that followed Ogeron for a year when he was head coach at Ole Miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I knew what that link was before I even hovered over it. :mad:

• Locked thread