Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Tahm Bwady posted:

The Dolphins and the Texans are the two teams I would pick if I was just now getting in football. Both are really talented and definitely on their way up. Both have really awsome exciting offenses. In fact, the Texans are my secret 2nd team.

I'm biased as a Texans fan, but this is true. The Texans are perfect at the moment because nobody will accuse you of being a bandwagon fan and the team is slowly but surely on it's way up. You were already in Texas, sc0tty, just pretend the Cowboys gear was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

JuicedSixFo posted:

Adrian "Butt" Peterson

Oh come on, that's stupid. It's "Butts".

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

drunk leprechaun posted:

Gold stars represent the number of years that player has been captain. When they max out on start the c turns gold. The background color is meaningless as far as I know and has more to do with aesthetic decisions based on uniform color I believe.

I THINK the whole patch is normally gold in a player's fifth year as a team captain (this is the first year they're doing it), but the different colors are around because of breast cancer awareness currently.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

You will find that being an Eagles fan revolves around the idea of hate, both others hating your team and you hating the teams of others.

Is it just me, or does it seem like a whole lot of foreign NFL fans pick teams that are either widely hated or historically bad? Eagles, Pats, Cowboys, Bills, Browns, etc.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

VOTE1 posted:

At what point in a players career do they determine their position? For instance can you tell at age 11 that Jimmy should be a Outside line backer rather than a inside line backer? Or a Corner vs a Safety? Likewise is the decision between corner back and WR pretty much 'well he's fast, but can he catch?'.

I stopped playing after high school, but I can tell you that my first year of peewee football (so around 8 I guess) we literally had one practice very early on where the coaches had everybody try throwing the football, running out for a pass, doing a little blocking, tackling, etc. to figure out what the hell we could all do.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

No, but you would be much better off just being a Steelers fan :smug:

:smug: Couldn't he just choose to be one later? :smug:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

It's fun and if you're not terrible at it then you don't have to do weird stuff like let your DT try and kick an extra point if your normal kicker is out.

Plus you can do more weird poo poo in high school anyway. One of the years I played, our QB was also the punter and the kicker was one of our wideouts.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

I always thought running out of bounds counted as a negative rush. Go figure :shrug:

Quite a few of David Carr's huge pile of sacks when he was a Texan were from him running out of bounds a yard behind the LOS while still clutching the football. My high school QB was the same way - wouldn't throw the loving ball away under any circumstances. Carr made the early Texans' shaky OLine look worse on paper and they took the blame for a lot of his problems.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

dokmo posted:

The Pats have 10 rookies who have actually played games. They lead the league. The modern record for rookies on the roster over the first four weeks is 15 for last year's Rams. This year's Rams have 9 rookies who have played games, raking second.

here, have a graph

I had to scan that three times to find Houston. Using HTX or HST as an abbreviation for Houston sports teams frightens and confuses me.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Hockles posted:

Some things I've thought about, but never remembered to ask about here.

Say on a RB screen play, the RB knows he is going to get lit up behind the line of scrimmage. But he has time to catch the ball. Why doesn't he just swat the ball down intentionally, making it an incomplete pass, instead of losing yards?

In addition to what GNU Order said, I have actually seen RBs/WRs do this a couple of times... kinda. Usually it's more like he allows it to hit him in the hands and then intentionally drops/shoves it towards the ground so that he's not risking batting it up into the air or something. It's still dangerous if there's a defender about to be right on top of him.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Not that anyone cares any more, but "Mac" and "Jack" are the two linebackers that you have to have in the Arena Football League (they're not dead yet, but yeah, I hear 2007 calling as well). Mac's allowed to rush the QB, Jack has to stay in coverage and can't drop deep unless the QB pump fakes.

I barely ever watched any AFL, but in college a friend and I found a big screen TV set up at a Best Buy to demo that AFL game EA made in '06. He picked up the controller, the computer team snapped the ball, he rushed the line as a linebacker and immediately got a penalty for leaving the little LB box. He went "What the gently caress?!", put down the controller, and we walked away.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

How come nobody ever does a fake fg/punt in the NFL?

Gary Kubiak never calls them and even we had a fake punt this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Sash! posted:

My football dream is to see the unfair act called.

So close.

John Madden cries tears of joy and ascends into Heaven when the unfair act rule is used on a fair catch free kick.

• Locked thread