Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«282 »
axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

TheSwami posted:

Has there been a theatrical Seuss project that didn't crass it up? I walked out of the live-action Grinch movie because it felt like watching someone defecate on a copy of the TV special. The Cat in the Hat with Mike Meyers. I don't think I need to say anything beyond mentioning that that movie exists.

People praised Horton Hears a Who, which was kinda sweet I guess (the fact that it gets trotted out by conservatives as an anti-abortion parable taints it for me). But I don't remember it being full of fart and pop culture jokes or crass marketing moves that completely undermined the intention of the original story.

The prolife subtext of Horton is unfortunate but really not the movies fault. Suess hated the fact that his book was being co-opted by the prolife movement but if you're gonna do make an accurate portrayal of the work, it's hard to get that interpretation out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Valyrian, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!

The Japanese trailer for 'Brave' shows off some new bits, and as such, is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8cLhckSAAw

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheSwami posted:

People praised Horton Hears a Who, which was kinda sweet I guess (the fact that it gets trotted out by conservatives as an anti-abortion parable taints it for me). But I don't remember it being full of fart and pop culture jokes or crass marketing moves that completely undermined the intention of the original story.

Even that had a lot of "hip" humor that didn't really feel true to the Seuss style. It's a good movie if you can get past that, but I still wish a lot of these studios could resist the urge to turn everything into Shrek. (Ironically, Dreamworks is doing a pretty good job of that at the moment.) It's annoying that every animated movie has to try to be the smartest kid on the block.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

teagone posted:

The Japanese trailer for 'Brave' shows off some new bits, and as such, is pretty awesome.

How does Japan (in general) feel about Pixar movies? Do they do as good as something Studio Ghibli puts out?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Toriori posted:

Okay, the image isn't a great example but I'm using your post as a spring board. I am so sick of this:

the "one-raised-eyebrow-smirk". hfihgogihrhrgirgirg it makes me immediately lose interest in a film. Obviously nothing new as I'm sure every animation/film buff can pick it out of a crowd but I just can't stand the of it.

They do it intentionally because if characters' faces were perfectly symmetrical, it would be really creepy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Toriori posted:

ON a different note, I finally was able to watch 'Waltz with Bashir'. Quite a sobering film but can't say I wasn't really in love with the colours and the movie itself. I'm not at all familiar with the subject matter so it was definitely something new to me, and the end.....just...yikes.

I adored that movie, and yeah, the ending really hits you like a truck. It's an awesome use of the medium.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome.

Awesome to
the MAX.

teagone posted:

Oh look, this movie looks interesting again. I thought it was going to just be some Tangled-esque baseline plot. Unless the trailer is vastly overselling it, I mean.

edit: I'm not making GBS threads on Tangled. It was a fun movie.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

and then we'll have pancakes to celebrate and I'll be like EURGNOMEHREUGN.

teagone posted:

I take back some of my statements about this being "another princess movie". If it promises to deliver on what is present in that film, then I will be pleased

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

The Japanese trailer is fascinating - it could illustrate what aspects of a movie appeal to different cultures. The North American trailer emphasizes the archetypal "oppressed protagonist wants their freedom" plot and the cheap jokes (men are naked under their kilts, har har). The Japanese trailer emphasizes the fantasy/fairy tale elements of the story in addition to the archetype, and there isn't much humour in the trailer at all.

The strange thing is, the NA trailer made me think, "Well, that was boring, but Pixar trailers usually are terrible.." and the Japanese trailer made me think, "Holy poo poo I need to see this movie now."

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome.

Awesome to
the MAX.

Yeah it's funny how the cute bears making faces almost looked out of place in the Japanese trailer

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Yoshifan823 posted:

Well, this could be a good thing, as it could mean more animated Seuss. On the other hand, it could be a bad thing, because it could mean more clumsily handled, irony-creating animated Seuss movies.

These Seuss movies are like a godsend to animation studios. They have a trusted name to reel in the parents, and pre-written, pre-designed, colourful wacky characters for the kids. Cuts a hell of a lot of time out of preproduction, I'd imagine.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

axleblaze posted:

The prolife subtext of Horton is unfortunate but really not the movies fault. Suess hated the fact that his book was being co-opted by the prolife movement but if you're gonna do make an accurate portrayal of the work, it's hard to get that interpretation out of there.

Since Seuss himself shot that theory down back in the day, though, it doesn't trouble me.

What actually bothered me about the movie was how a couple of the Sour Kangaroo's lines were a little too "strawman angry atheist" for my comfort. Really could've done without the "if you can't see it, it isn't there" line. That probably wasn't intentional, though, and it's just my Unfortunate Implications radar working overtime.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

teagone posted:

Yeah, it looks like for the English ads they're definitely following the same line of marketing thought that was behind HTTYD and Tangled's ridiculous advertising campaigns. This is a lot more what I was expecting from Brave, and I feel a lot better about it now that I know my hopes weren't misplaced.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Bimmi posted:

gently caress everything.

Having The Lorax shill for corporations goes beyond irony and into black is white and up is down territory. I read one review that argued that even in the book, the Once-ler is unrealistic because he actually felt bad for what he did, and didn't just go destroy some other natural area. I'm sure the people at Mazda don't feel bad.

I haven't seen the movie, but I understand it ends with the forest being replanted and the Lorax returning and everything being okay. That's a bit different from the uncertain ending of the book, and might leave audiences wondering if they need to be concerned. Having the Lorax sell cars probably doens't help with that. God knows what a Hollywood adaptation of The Butter Battle Book would end up looking like.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

teagone posted:

Pixar's MERIDANOKE HIME!

(Or, if you prefer, Pixar's Meridsucaa: of the Moors of the Wind ).

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Link had high spirits, but lost his bottle of gin after drinking to the pint of no return. Dis-spirited over his ale-ment and at Lagerheads, he sought brew-prints for beer.

Speaking of DWA and their improving quality, I re-watched KFP2 last night and realized something else that I never noticed before: when Mr. Ping is telling Po about when he found him and decided to start raising him, not one bathroom/diaper joke is told or even alluded to. Even when it looked like they would, they diverted and went for better: "...and then I tried to put some pants on you!"

And that was legitimately funny

computer parts posted:

Well, there was that random anime sequence in the middle.

In context without the pop-sub-culture underpinnings, it kind-of-sort-of works, since it's clear by that point that Horton is the village daydreamer with sugar-rush energy. Granted if they dumped the exaggerated anime stuff and made it a sequence with several styles (pulp sci-fi, surreal, high-fantasy, AND anime at the end) it probably would've worked a bit better.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Really could've done without the "if you can't see it, it isn't there" line. That probably wasn't intentional, though, and it's just my Unfortunate Implications radar working overtime.

Is this because it was melodramatic, or because that point of view is so rarely shown in film that you would've preferred something less radical? I presume that atheists don't care to get in lumped into the "if I can't detect it, it doesn't exist" group of non-believers anymore than non-atheists appreciate being called naive, uneducated, or a stone's throw from fundie-ism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

Obtuse Cunt.
Please Do Not Engage.
Will bore you and everyone else with inane questions.

teagone posted:

I remember the whole "girl goes into woods, meets a witch" synopsis back when it was called The Bear and The Bow, but I honestly didn't know that they kept that aspect of the story. I'm like a million times more interested now.

Toriori
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Action Jacktion posted:

Having The Lorax shill for corporations goes beyond irony and into black is white and up is down territory. I read one review that argued that even in the book, the Once-ler is unrealistic because he actually felt bad for what he did, and didn't just go destroy some other natural area. I'm sure the people at Mazda don't feel bad.

I haven't seen the movie, but I understand it ends with the forest being replanted and the Lorax returning and everything being okay. That's a bit different from the uncertain ending of the book, and might leave audiences wondering if they need to be concerned. Having the Lorax sell cars probably doens't help with that. God knows what a Hollywood adaptation of The Butter Battle Book would end up looking like.

I'm personally hoping for a Yertle the Turtle film endorsed by Volkswagen.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I adored that movie, and yeah, the ending really hits you like a truck. It's an awesome use of the medium.
Yes, I thought for sure the film was rotoscoping but it wasn't! The colours were great and added so much atmosphere to the movie. I actually tried to imagine watching it if it wasn't animated and I couldn't get into the idea, it just emphasized everything that much more.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Since Seuss himself shot that theory down back in the day, though, it doesn't trouble me.

What actually bothered me about the movie was how a couple of the Sour Kangaroo's lines were a little too "strawman angry atheist" for my comfort. Really could've done without the "if you can't see it, it isn't there" line. That probably wasn't intentional, though, and it's just my Unfortunate Implications radar working overtime.

Nah, I'd say it was pretty intentional. The message was pretty drat heavy handed and it ruined the movie for me when I realized where it was going.

Action Jacktion posted:

On the other hand, if you ever needed a concrete example of "greenwashing", now you have it.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.

Very late to this party, but I think Burton has made a career off biting Edward Gorey's style, and adding stripes and bug-eyes. Not that I'm knocking him for it, just wanted to put in my two cents on the topic.

The Japanese trailer for Brave is so much better than the other one, I actually want to watch it in Japanese now, with subtitles. Sadly, the mouths wouldn't go along with the words, so I'll probably just shelve the idea.

I was at an Archery store over the weekend and I mentioned to the owner that I thought his sales would start to rise and more girls would be taking up the sport, after so many movies featuring young female leads who are archers. Brave and the Hunger Games, obviously, but I suppose Hanna could be added as well.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Barometer posted:

Sadly, the mouths wouldn't go along with the words, so I'll probably just shelve the idea.

Since it's CGI couldn't they easily change the lips so that they match the dialogue? Honest question, I'm curious if animation studios do that. I remember in high school we watched foreign language-versions of Pixar movies and they really seemed to go out of their way to localize the movies; the only thing I remember off the top of my head is that in Monsters Inc. they changed the gag where the crosswalk signs say DON'T STALK/STALK to a gag with a a two-headed pictogram since the wordplay didn't carry over.

Plus I know that they do that in videogames, like in those TF2 videos.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome.

Awesome to
the MAX.

They probably COULD, but there would be a lot of re-animating, re-rendering, and re-compositing to do. I don't know if it would be worth the time and expense to have it done, but it would probably be doable.

The TF2 thing probably isn't as big a deal since that's rendered on the fly. You still need to re-animate the lips but I think that's about as much as goes into the production of those videos, as far as rendering and compositing goes. I think they just record the output of the TF2 engine at that point.

I'm just talking out my rear end though.

Martytoof fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 07:30

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Japanese voice actors almost invariably voice OVER, recording their lines after the animation is done (rather than "under", as in the west, where animation is created after the vocal track) so they probably have more experience matching lip flaps well.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Agent Escalus posted:

Is this because it was melodramatic, or because that point of view is so rarely shown in film that you would've preferred something less radical? I presume that atheists don't care to get in lumped into the "if I can't detect it, it doesn't exist" group of non-believers anymore than non-atheists appreciate being called naive, uneducated, or a stone's throw from fundie-ism.

Both, actually! It didn't sound like something a Concerned Mother of The Jungle of Nool-type would actually say, and the atheist perspective is so rarely presented in pop culture, I would've preferred it if they'd excised that line, in favor of more grousing about how the over- or "improper" use of the imagination leads to nonconformity, rebellion, contempt for authority, whatever whatever.

Well, and it would've allowed the movie's message to become even more generalized and universal, since most fascist-types and crazy ideologues tend to get up in arms about people thinking the "wrong" thoughts.

Humboldt squid posted:

Nah, I'd say it was pretty intentional. The message was pretty drat heavy handed and it ruined the movie for me when I realized where it was going.

Interesting! How did it come across for you? What led you to suspect it was intentional?

Considering how not-well-liked atheists are, it's certainly not a stretch.

cAtf00d
Sep 3, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

Since it's CGI couldn't they easily change the lips so that they match the dialogue? Honest question, I'm curious if animation studios do that. I remember in high school we watched foreign language-versions of Pixar movies and they really seemed to go out of their way to localize the movies; the only thing I remember off the top of my head is that in Monsters Inc. they changed the gag where the crosswalk signs say DON'T STALK/STALK to a gag with a a two-headed pictogram since the wordplay didn't carry over.

Plus I know that they do that in videogames, like in those TF2 videos.

They could, theoretically, but animating lip sync is incredibly tedious and slow. Ok, well all animation is incredibly tedious and slow, but lip sync especially. Re-animating the entire film's lip sync by hand for even just one different language would involve a ton of man hours (and rendering hours), so I don't see them going that far.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Echoing the above -- it's technologically possible for sure. But presumably, they want to exercise more artistic control over the characters' faces during dialogue than merely having their lips match the words.

For such a major production, where everything goes through a million phases before being committed to a final print, it's very unlikely.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

cAtf00d posted:

They could, theoretically, but animating lip sync is incredibly tedious and slow. Ok, well all animation is incredibly tedious and slow, but lip sync especially. Re-animating the entire film's lip sync by hand for even just one different language would involve a ton of man hours (and rendering hours), so I don't see them going that far.

Yes, as far as the "Since it's CGI couldn't they easily change the lips so that they match the dialogue?" goes, it's not even remotely easy.

It would waste a ton of manhours, rendering hours, not to mention a shitload of disk space to redo renders.

Rendering a full animated feature takes a lot more overhead than one-off renders of videogame characters in videogame environments. And by a 'lot' more, think petabytes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Without me, there is no mission.
I am the mission!

I know on the Toy Story 2 special features they show one edit they made for the international audience. Buzz is giving a speech about something or other, and it fades to an American flag behind him while giving the speech, and then it fades to the flag on the TV while Al is asleep, and it's the "broadcast end" clip. For the international markets they redid it so he was giving the speech in front of a spinning globe, which also later appeared on the TV. I didn't see if they tried to redo the lip sync, but I doubt it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cool, the US Bluray for Arrietty will have both the US and UK dub tracks on it. link

With the Japanese track that's three different ways to watch the film, kind of a bummer that there's no bonus video things being included with it though. There's also information at that link that the Japanese disc release of the Goro Miyzaki directed ghibli film From Up On Poppy Hill will have English subs included with it.

mobo85
Apr 20, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

For no real reason, here's the Tweety short from Happy Feet Two animated around the Mel Blanc novelty record. (Thanks to YouTube's newfangled system, you can even watch it in 3D if you have glasses- or cross your eyes.) The other Blanc recordings that they used for additional dialogue seem out of place, but if it's been said before I have to say it again: it's awesome that June Foray still sounds like Granny at 94.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ivde6CtOA

As for The Lorax, I saw it and liked it (except for that whole chase sequence in the third act). The unintentionally funniest part to me was the "How Bad Can I Be" song, since it could just have easily have been sung by the marketers of the film (there's even a shot of the Lorax being thrown a thneed just to get a "Lorax approved!" billboard, which is so unintentionally close to the "Truffala-tree-friendly" Mazda you'd think it was planned).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mobo85 posted:

For no real reason, here's the Tweety short from Happy Feet Two animated around the Mel Blanc novelty record. (Thanks to YouTube's newfangled system, you can even watch it in 3D if you have glasses- or cross your eyes.) The other Blanc recordings that they used for additional dialogue seem out of place, but if it's been said before I have to say it again: it's awesome that June Foray still sounds like Granny at 94.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ivde6CtOA

this is so wonderful. Every bit of it. The animation, the old recordings, the old school cartoon violence. This and the two Wile E Coyote shorts are awesome. Can't wait for the Daffy one.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Last night I saw a Arrietty/Princess Mononoke double feature, having never seen a Studio Ghibli film before.

Arrietty felt like an experiment in making the quietest and most innocuous film possible while still being engaging. In that sense it succeeded - it kept my attention the whole time. But it wasn't exactly what I'd call compelling - it felt like the slow beginning of a much more epic story. The father in particular was incredibly bland.

The ending would have been a lot better without the last 2 sentences or so. Some things don't need to be said out loud. I tear up at movies really easily (I think it's the emotional music), but something about how the ending was slightly misplayed meant I didn't here. Overall I liked it ok, and the art was very nice.

Mononoke was heavier on the action, but still fairly slow paced. I found the weird Japanese nature god stuff kind of cool. Someone a few pages ago mentioned how we see this grand background story from the narrower perspective of the prince, and I think that worked well, as did the relative lack of black-and-whiteness in the characters. The eponymous character actually felt kind of irrelevant aside from being a love interest for the prince - clearly this was his story. I also found the simplistic environmental message a little grating. Hurf durf humans are bad because they cut down trees. It felt a bit like Arrietty overall in that it was engaging throughout but didn't leave much of a lasting emotional or intellectual impact.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003
RAMSAY AND THEON RAPE ARYA
LYSA KILLS LITTLEFINGER
VARYS KILLS KEVAN

KEVAN IS TYWINS BROTHER FROM S1 AND S2 PAY ATTENTION GOD DAMMIT

a kitten posted:

Cool, the US Bluray for Arrietty will have both the US and UK dub tracks on it. link

With the Japanese track that's three different ways to watch the film, kind of a bummer that there's no bonus video things being included with it though. There's also information at that link that the Japanese disc release of the Goro Miyzaki directed ghibli film From Up On Poppy Hill will have English subs included with it.

That article has an update at the bottom that seems to indicate it's a new "North American" Japanese release of Arriety that will have both English dubs. I think. It's confusingly written but what I got from it is there is no announcement on what will be on the North American release.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

ShardPhoenix posted:

The ending would have been a lot better without the last 2 sentences or so. Some things don't need to be said out loud. I tear up at movies really easily (I think it's the emotional music), but something about how the ending was slightly misplayed meant I didn't here. Overall I liked it ok, and the art was very nice.

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the last voiceover stuff added for American release only? I guess American audiences are viewed as wusses that can't handle non-happy-endings.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Goreld posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the last voiceover stuff added for American release only? I guess American audiences are viewed as wusses that can't handle non-happy-endings.
I saw it with subs; I was referring to the last couple of things Sho said. I actually kind of wanted a sadder ending.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2012 around 09:16

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ballz posted:

That article has an update at the bottom that seems to indicate it's a new "North American" Japanese release of Arriety that will have both English dubs. I think. It's confusingly written but what I got from it is there is no announcement on what will be on the North American release.

Well huh. I do hope it does come with it, just because I'm curious. If they don't I'm sure it's more of a licensing or royalties issue rather than an thing, but it would be cool to have the option on there if possible.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Just got back from the Lorax!

The CG was gorgeous, of course--especially in the marshmallow scene--but the songs really made the movie for me. They were unexpected, they were memorable, and they helped to move the story along, and I only wish there had been more of them!

Also appreciated the comedy, especially the slapstick. The fish and that big fat Barb-a-loot stole every scene they were in.

Naturally, this was the role DeVito was born to play. He was pitch-perfect.

I'm not sure the film was exactly Dr. Seuss' the Lorax, but it was an enjoyable interpretation of the story, at least. After that infuriating Mazda ad, I went in with very low expectations, and I have to admit the movie had some authentic heart to it.

And yes, some scenes were a tad anvilicious, but hey, anyone over the age of three who goes to see the Lorax should know what they're in for.

That Mazda ad still makes my blood simmer, though.

deadselly
Dec 2, 2005

"Because trying to fuck you is like trying to French-kiss a very small and lively gerbil. With braces."

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Just got back from the Lorax!

The CG was gorgeous, of course--especially in the marshmallow scene--but the songs really made the movie for me. They were unexpected, they were memorable, and they helped to move the story along, and I only wish there had been more of them!

Also appreciated the comedy, especially the slapstick. The fish and that big fat Barb-a-loot stole every scene they were in.

Naturally, this was the role DeVito was born to play. He was pitch-perfect.

I'm not sure the film was exactly Dr. Seuss' the Lorax, but it was an enjoyable interpretation of the story, at least. After that infuriating Mazda ad, I went in with very low expectations, and I have to admit the movie had some authentic heart to it.

And yes, some scenes were a tad anvilicious, but hey, anyone over the age of three who goes to see the Lorax should know what they're in for.

That Mazda ad still makes my blood simmer, though.

If you liked the songs, you should check out the soundtrack. There are a ton of songs they cut that are just as good as the ones that made it in. The Thneedville demo song on it is also amazing!

redcheval
Dec 26, 2009

That's a little better.

I'm really shocked Puss in Boots got decent reviews and was generally well-liked; I watched it the other day and... what. I didn't HATE it, it wasn't really a BAD movie, but good god. Such a weird movie. I spent most of it wondering whether I'd been slipped a drug before watching it and the other part wondering who on earth thought this movie up.

Good on them for making something a lot more original than previous movies, and the less pop culture-y, more original jokes were definitely noticed, but I really didn't like the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I may be wrong but I'm never in doubt.

The part I didn't like about that movie was the dance-off. It's just weird to see semi-realistic bipedal dancing cats. I liked the rest of the movie though.

«282 »