Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«282 »
TonTon
May 1, 2008

Pick posted:

Happy Feet? That sucked super balls!" (gently caress YOU.)

Pitch it to me! I was kind of turned-off by the premise because...well, look, the penguin's a good dancer, right? But penguins don't have prominent legs. How can you tell he's a good dancer if you can't see his legs? It kinda seems like a poor design choice. Does the rest of the film make for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this?
Jan 17, 2005

BOGGLE?

Isn't part of the premise of Happy Feet about penguins who have never seen people before singing and dancing to pop songs? Yeah...

I watched Under the Red Hood the other day and thought it was mostly okay. The voice acting was much better than some other DC animated movies although Greenwood wasn't given much to work with. My only real problem with the movie was something I already had an issue with in the original comic regarding Batman's motivations for not killing the Joker. It still just doesn't ring true especially considering how many people the Joker has murdered over the years.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't part of the premise of Happy Feet about penguins who have never seen people before singing and dancing to pop songs? Yeah...

The way I saw it, we, as moviegoers, were listening to the penguins through a universal translator. They are not actually singing pop songs, but only pop songs can begin to give us, as alien creatures, a feel for what they are singing, from their point of view.

Or something like that .

Anyway, if Happy Feet had meant to be all crass and Dreamworsky, they would've had the penguins sing "Ice, Ice Baby."

I liked Happy Feet. I felt the big resolution almost came too quickly and easily, but otherwise, I don't think it deserves half of the pooh-poohing it gets from some people.

I wonder what the next "in" animal will be? It was ants for a while, and lately it's been penguins. Lemurs, maybe? (Yeah, yeah, Madagascar, but the lemurs are just side characters.) Orangutans? Kangaroos? Bats?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pop Music, Girl Scouts, Aglets.

I hope its lobsters. A film with happy cartoon animals starring a photorealistic lobster would be hilarious.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope its lobsters. A film with happy cartoon animals starring a photorealistic lobster would be hilarious.

I think that would be great! Dancing, singing, photorealistic lobsters--HAPPY CLAWS!

Or snails. Snails would be good too.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Owls.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Just rewatched Emperor's New Groove. It's been a few years. My god is that movie down right hilarious. Patrick Warburton is so great.

Does anyone know if much of that movie was improved?

Daeren
Aug 17, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

anaaki posted:

Just rewatched Emperor's New Groove. It's been a few years. My god is that movie down right hilarious. Patrick Warburton is so great.

Does anyone know if much of that movie was improved?

No idea, but the banter between Yzma and Kronk (and Kronk and his shoulder angel/devil) is the greatest part of the movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

Maybe I got time to figure out how to de-spirit a toaster.

Dude, if Legend of the Guardians is half as badass as the books, we'll be in good shape. Here's what book one, prior to them even reaching Ga'Hoole, includes:

Attempted siblicide, large-scale abduction, religious brainwashing, graphic torture, owls brainwashed to enjoy certain types of torture, murder via shoving a developmentally challenged owl off cliff, murder by tearing a protagonist apart (in view of children), and violent exocannibalism of children and parents (in front of the victim's young family members).

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Pick posted:

Dude, if Legend of the Guardians is half as badass as the books, we'll be in good shape. Here's what book one, prior to them even reaching Ga'Hoole, includes:

Attempted siblicide, large-scale abduction, religious brainwashing, graphic torture, owls brainwashed to enjoy certain types of torture, murder via shoving a developmentally challenged owl off cliff, murder by tearing a protagonist apart (in view of children), and violent exocannibalism of children and parents (in front of the victim's young family members).

Awesome, I don't mind talking animals if it's not "OH LOOK AT THESE WACKY TALKING ANIMALS WOOOO".

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Pick posted:

All in glorious 3D!

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

FACISM

My only real problem with the movie was something I already had an issue with in the original comic regarding Batman's motivations for not killing the Joker. It still just doesn't ring true especially considering how many people the Joker has murdered over the years.

Why? He (batman) explained it pretty clearly.

muscles like this?
Jan 17, 2005

BOGGLE?

Hellbunny posted:

Why? He (batman) explained it pretty clearly.

It's a loving cop out. Also it's a moral position not made through any real character ideal but because comic book companies don't want their heroes killing off popular villains. I don't want Batman murdering people left and right but I think by a certain point he really shouldn't be going out of his way to save the Joker's life.

Something I really wish would be that these animated movies take more chances with the characters. Let Red Hood actually kill Joker and have Batman deal with that. I mean it's not like these are ever really in continuity with each other.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

It's a loving cop out. Also it's a moral position not made through any real character ideal but because comic book companies don't want their heroes killing off popular villains. I don't want Batman murdering people left and right but I think by a certain point he really shouldn't be going out of his way to save the Joker's life.

Something I really wish would be that these animated movies take more chances with the characters. Let Red Hood actually kill Joker and have Batman deal with that. I mean it's not like these are ever really in continuity with each other.

In Return of the Joker, Terry McGuiness (Batman Beyond), does end up killing the Joker at the end. More or less anyway, which shows a difference between him and Bruce Wayne.

You could just check out The Punisher though, in the Max series he kills all the bad guys. There are a couple of recurring characters, but they mostly end up dead at some point as well.

muscles like this?
Jan 17, 2005

BOGGLE?

Nah, I really don't like Ennis.

Also for Batman Beyond actually in the end of the opening story arc Terry lets the dude who killed his dad die.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Bruce Wayne's parents were killed right in front of him, this is, bar none, the biggest motivator of the no-kill vow. I don't think it's a cop out at all(especially since the polarization of him, the Joker, and the Red Hood is pretty much my favorite aspect in the comics), but rather his defining feature. I think it actually came up in one of the comics how the failure to kill a murderer makes Batman responsible for everyone they kill after that point. The no kill vow really does make perfect sense from the child of two people who were murdered.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Batman killed the God of Evil so he's clearly not totally opposed to the concept.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Also for Batman Beyond actually in the end of the opening story arc Terry lets the dude who killed his dad die.

Hell, I certainly would.

Well, and what's wrong with Gotham, that they keep locking up these dangerous mass murderers in Arkham Asylum, when it's clear that they're just going to escape and wreak more havoc on the city? I don't even think most of Gotham's baddies meet the criteria for legal insanity, since most of them seem to be aware that what they are doing is wrong.

Texas would've nipped the Joker in the bud immediately. (From a story standpoint, yes, it's less compelling, I realize.)

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

FACISM

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Texas would've nipped the Joker in the bud immediately. (From a story standpoint, yes, it's less compelling, I realize.)

There's a pretty good chance the joker likes it in Arkham and that if they tried to execute them he'd just find some way to escape/fake his death.

And what people seem to forget is that Batman is nuts. He just as crazy as the people that he fights, so he tries to help them the same way he'd want someone to help him.

Read the punisher or anything with wolverine in it if you want heroes that kill.

muscles like this?
Jan 17, 2005

BOGGLE?

It's not like it's a binary character trait even though comic books treat it like one. On one side you have characters like Batman and Superman who don't kill ever for any reason at all and the other you have guys like Punisher who kills for with very little provocation. There has to be a middle ground where a hero doesn't kill unless it's completely necessary. It's just stupid that they keep ramping up villains' actions in what they do to people but the hero is still stuck there with his antiquated "Nope, can't kill them. Even though I know for a fact that next time they get out they'll kill dozens of people."

Daeren
Aug 17, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Hell, I certainly would.

Well, and what's wrong with Gotham, that they keep locking up these dangerous mass murderers in Arkham Asylum, when it's clear that they're just going to escape and wreak more havoc on the city? I don't even think most of Gotham's baddies meet the criteria for legal insanity, since most of them seem to be aware that what they are doing is wrong.

The in-story explanation is that Gotham is completely and utterly corrupt from top to bottom, which makes Batman and Gordon's defense of The System even more strange. Also, The Joker was lined up for execution at least once before, but he was - for once in his life - wrongfully accused so Batman had to find the real killer before he struck again, which would clear the Joker's name as a sort of unwanted side effect.

It's not like it's a binary character trait even though comic books treat it like one. On one side you have characters like Batman and Superman who don't kill ever for any reason at all and the other you have guys like Punisher who kills for with very little provocation. There has to be a middle ground where a hero doesn't kill unless it's completely necessary. It's just stupid that they keep ramping up villains' actions in what they do to people but the hero is still stuck there with his antiquated "Nope, can't kill them. Even though I know for a fact that next time they get out they'll kill dozens of people."

I think it's Invincible that actually has a main character like this.

Or not. I just know some mainstream comic these days had a main character willing to kill a villain once he started going after his family.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Hellbunny posted:

And what people seem to forget is that Batman is nuts. He just as crazy as the people that he fights, so he tries to help them the same way he'd want someone to help him.

You know, you're right! That's an excellent point.

quote:

if they tried to execute them he'd just find some way to escape/fake his death.

Yeah, but at least then we'd see that Gotham's justice system was actually making an effort for once.

It's just stupid that they keep ramping up villains' actions in what they do to people but the hero is still stuck there with his antiquated "Nope, can't kill them. Even though I know for a fact that next time they get out they'll kill dozens of people."

It gets into a fascinating moral question of whether not killing someone whom you KNOW for a fact will kill dozens upon dozens of people makes you complicit in the massacre of those innocents.

Oh, and I'm sure anime must have characters who have nuanced rules about killing that effectively place them in the middle ground. Or, are we limiting the discussion strictly to comic books?

Daeren posted:

Also, The Joker was lined up for execution at least once before, but he was - for once in his life - wrongfully accused so Batman had to find the real killer before he struck again, which would clear the Joker's name as a sort of unwanted side effect.

Eh, if I were Batman, I would've taken my time with that .

(Yes, I'd make for a horribly unethical superhero, I know.)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at Aug 2, 2010 around 18:47

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

like a record baby

I would honestly like to see, (or write) a story where the people of Gotham all band together, and they decide that one day they're sick of The Joker's poo poo, and if Batman won't kill him, they will. So The Joker is walking down the street, about to do something evil when BLAM! shotgun out a window. Then another. Then another. Finally the Joker is actually running through town looking for Batman to save him. Like the hospital explosion scene in The Dark Knight, except it's the Joker instead of some guy who works for Bruce Wayne.

Depending on who's writing the Joker, though, he'd probably think it was awesome.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

You almost described the ending of Roadhouse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No no, I'm Sean Mexico. You must have me mistaken for someone else.

Vargo posted:

I would honestly like to see, (or write) a story where the people of Gotham all band together, and they decide that one day they're sick of The Joker's poo poo, and if Batman won't kill him, they will. So The Joker is walking down the street, about to do something evil when BLAM! shotgun out a window. Then another. Then another. Finally the Joker is actually running through town looking for Batman to save him. Like the hospital explosion scene in The Dark Knight, except it's the Joker instead of some guy who works for Bruce Wayne.

Depending on who's writing the Joker, though, he'd probably think it was awesome.

Kingdom Come; one of the more interesting DC "What ifs" made in the last decade explicitly deals with this concept. Joker is straight up killed at his trial, and the people embrace the hero who killed him. As a reaction to this, heros who kill and people willing to kill villains come to the forefront and are the champions. This leads to friction between the new, murdering heros and superman, batman, and their nonviolent ilk.

Its actually pretty good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

Oh, I forgot: There's a Storybreak version of Ratha's Creature available. The animation is public broadcasting quality and it's not as good/violent/adult as the book (which is a very well-written book indeed), but hey, it's still an animated movie, free online. I haven't watched it recently so I can't speak for anything but the animation, but again, if you're bored, it's an experience. What kind of experience? You tell me. (Do remember that even though it's old, few have seen it, so it deserves spoiler tags if you talk about it further.)

It has been uploaded by the author of the book here for viewing. Tragically, Bruce Coville's The Monster's Ring (an awesome book) was also made into one of these, but even the author himself has never been able to access/see it.

Pick fucked around with this message at Aug 3, 2010 around 04:58

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Nightwing actually killed the Joker once, but Batman resuscitated him because he didn't want Nightwing to have blood on his hands.

Batman also almost killed the Joker once, but Jim Gordon stopped him. If anybody has reasons to want the Joker dead, it's Jim Gordon. The Joker killed his wife, cripped his daughter, etc. He stopped him so he wouldn't become just another killer, and he wouldn't let Batman ruin his life by doing that.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at Aug 3, 2010 around 11:32

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Woohoo! Finally saw Mask of the Phantasm. I thought this was an animated movie for kids, but I was way wrong (haha, Bruce Wayne schmoozing women). I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also did not see it coming that Andrea was the Phantasm. My boyfriend has always had issues with Heath Ledger's Joker, but now that I've seen this movie, I can see why. I like the Joker being an rear end in a top hat. He's more obnoxious/scary that way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

By the way, has anyone here seen the Spanish computer animated El Lince Perdito (The Missing Lynx)?

The animation is a bit rough, but it's a low budget international feature. I've heard good things about it though, but only from people who saw it in Spanish (I wouldn't want to see it if it were one of those Doogal type films where the dub is insane). Is it worth checking out? Anyone here know? It was released in the USA on DVD, at least.

Pick fucked around with this message at Aug 4, 2010 around 05:04

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Pick posted:

By the way, has anyone here seen the Spanish computer animated El Lince Perdito (The Missing Lynx)?

The animation is a bit rough, but it's a low budget international feature. I've heard good things about it though, but only from people who saw it in Spanish (I wouldn't want to see it if it were one of those Doogal type films where the dub is insane). Is it worth checking out? Anyone here know? It was released in the USA on DVD, at least.

I caught most of it on Netflix. My kids, 7 and 9 respectively said that it was ok but "the computer people in the movie don't look very 2010" 2010 is the word they have adopted to denote High Tech I guess....

But the 35 minutes or so that I saw wasn't terrible... plucky lil animals trying to save other animals.. Old men in cages, evil hunters and I think there was a windfarm...?

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

FACISM

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Oh, and I'm sure anime must have characters who have nuanced rules about killing that effectively place them in the middle ground. Or, are we limiting the discussion strictly to comic books?

There are heroes who are very much okay with killing, even though they still try to avoid it. Captain America and Wonder Woman are the only ones I can remember, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Water Tribe, Bitches

I just wanted to pop in and say to whoever recommended Plague Dogs: gently caress you. I cried so hard at the end of that movie.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

I just wanted to pop in and say to whoever recommended Plague Dogs: gently caress you. I cried so hard at the end of that movie.

I'm watching it tonight. Along with that other cat detective one.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Water Tribe, Bitches

Kipory posted:

I'm watching it tonight. Along with that other cat detective one.

It's a pretty typical "tame animals out in the wild" sort of movie, and then at the very end (like last five to ten minutes) it goes from emotionally neutral to .

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

I wish When the Wind Blows would get an American release. Maybe not as sad as Grave of the Fireflies or Plague Dogs but pretty goddamn close. Good soundtrack too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Oh yeah. And that's part of why it's so good.

I swear though, Britain makes the most depressing animated films of any nation. When I think British animation, I think Plague Dogs, Watership Down, Animal Farm, and When the Wind Blows--all depressing as hell.

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007

I think of Gorillaz and how we still haven't gotten that full-length movie they promised us seven-or-so years ago. So, yes, quite depressing.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Water Tribe, Bitches

MindTheGap posted:

I think of Gorillaz and how we still haven't gotten that full-length movie they promised us seven-or-so years ago. So, yes, quite depressing.

But we've got one from Daft Punk! Interstella 5555

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

MindTheGap posted:

Pretty sure the band said in interviews that there was too much executive complaining and meddling with their pitch, so they scrapped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007

That was true the first time in, say, 2003 or so. But then they became interested again in the idea of a film some time in 2008 or 2009... Haven't heard much since then, unfortunately. They're one of the biggest cock tease bands out there -- but then, since the group is animated, I guess there's sort of a logistical reason for that.

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

But we've got one from Daft Punk! Interstella 5555
NO gently caress THE FRENCH

I really like that movie and album a lot

«282 »