Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

anaaki posted:

I'm curious what the forums thought of 9? I didn't like the trailer at first, but then I warmed up to it. Then I was really disappointed when I finally saw it. I never really heard other peoples' opinion on it though.

Loved the look of it, but it was one of those movies where it seemed like they were afraid of ever actually explaining anything about the plot because it'd sound too stupid, so they decided to just let people assume it was going over their heads. Then the ending made even less sense than the rest of it and resolved nothing, except I guess they killed a big robot or something? I also remember the characters all being extremely one-dimensional, which made sense because they represented different aspects of the creator's personality, but that didn't make it any less annoying for them to have the same exact arguments with each other for the entire duration of the movie. "We shouldn't fight the thing, we should stay here where it's safe!" "No, we should fight the thing because living in fear is no way to live!" Repeat, repeat, repeat. There was just nothing engaging about it beyond the visuals, and even those weren't that great, in practice. Basically just your usual generic action scenes where you can't even tell what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I always thought the Ice Age movies would've been better if Shrek hadn't come out first. I feel like some executive put pressure on them to make it a HILARIOUS IRREVERENT BUDDY COMEDY instead of an adventure film with comedic moments. Not that I can prove any of this, mind you.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Medical posted:

Do you think the hyper realistic style that Square does (like so) would ever catch on with one of the big Hollywood studios? That trailer was for a film that came out in 2001, so the uncanny valley aspect of it all could be improved on. Though if Toy Story 3 cost 200 million to make some hyper-real CGI film would probably cost double that. And besides why not just make a live action film?

What's everyone's opinion on performance capture?

I haven't seen Beowulf yet, but wasn't it essentially that?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Atlantis is a hell of a lot better than Treasure Planet. But I have only seen it once, and I'm not sure if it'd hold up on repeat viewings after the novelty of Disney doing something different has worn off. I guess the reason I haven't seen it again is because I'm afraid it won't. I'm sure it's worth at least one viewing, though.

Interestingly, it seemed like both of those movies were going after the Titan AE crowd, even though that movie was apparently a huge bomb.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I kinda liked Titan AE the one time I saw it. I'm a little afraid to revisit it because I like remembering it as a well-meaning failure rather than a complete failure.

It came out around the same time as The Phantom Menace and at least a few critics accurately pointed out that Titan AE was really a much better Star Wars movie than TPM. Neither is as good as the original Star Wars, mind you, but AE more or less works.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Oh, and on the subject, call me crazy, but I'll be damned (ha) if The Miracle Maker isn't one of the better Jesus-oriented movies. It's stop-action, interspersed with lovely 2D animation, and Ralph Fiennes manages to make Jesus sound likable and down-to-earth, whereas most films portray him as some sort of dippy hippy or stuck-up goody-goody twat. I'm atheistic myself, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Seconding this. It's unquestionably the best film version of the Jesus story. It perfectly walks the line between historical accuracy (including proper skin tones) and modern relatability, and it's a technical marvel as well. The Nightmare Before Christmas is certainly the best "stop-motion" movie ever made, but this is hard-core clay stuff and it's quite stunning in its own right.

Speaking of Nightmare, that's my favorite movie ever and if you dislike it simply because of Hot Topic you're retarded. I'll freely admit that the villain is a little superfluous, but ultimately the movie is just such an amazing labor of love. Every single frame of it is indispensable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Behonkiss posted:

Two bits of unfortunate news:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/bad-idea...unny-movie.html
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/r...tudio-grim.html

Long story short: WB is having the guy who wrote Elf write a script for a proposed Bugs Bunny with real people and a CG Bugs (To go along with their Speedy Gonzales and Marvin the Martian movies in the same vein, I guess)

As horrible as this sounded to me at first, I then remembered that I mostly enjoyed Looney Tunes: Back In Action and the only real difference here will be that he's CG, so I dunno. It could turn out alright.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kojiro posted:

Also, Highway To Hell needs put back in its box for a while now, Hollywood..

It does kind of separate this animated movie from the rest of the pack as possibly being a bit more mature than others, though. Most others would shy away from using that type of song in the trailer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Maybe it's because it's the first Miyazaki movie I've really seen as an "adult", but Ponyo is one of my favorites. Its aspirations are lower than those of Mononoke or Spirited Away, but it never misses a beat. For the most part it's extremely coherent and maintains a certain joyful simplicity all the way through.

Howl's Moving Castle was the one that frustrated me. It just seemed like a big, pretty mess.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

While reading this thread at work, I didn't think the Megamind rap thing could possibly be as bad as you were all acting. Then I got home and...

I mean if nothing else, it just flat-out sounds awful no matter what you're expecting out of it. There is no level on which it can be enjoyed. It is the unenjoyable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Fatkraken posted:

why won't he STOP LOOKING AT ME

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The less said about the showerhead, the better.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I always heard that Hoodwinked intended to mimic the style of Rankin and Bass. Not sure if that's the truth, or a rationalization.

As someone who generally finds Rankin-Bass animation ugly from anything but a nostalgic point of view, I have to say that's really not helping.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mistaya posted:

The only other comment about race/gender roles I have is that Disney movies from the 30s are still being shown to little kids. And that's something that just isn't seen with other studios. It's almost unfair in a way, we've progressed a lot as a society but Snow White will always sing a merry tune while sweeping and doing dishes.

That's a really good point. Most other movies from that era aren't much more progressive, but they're typically only watched by adults who understand the context and so nobody throws a fit about it. I suppose Disney themselves are partially to blame, since they clearly have a lot invested in keeping those movies alive through heavy branding and theme park tie-ins and direct-to-video sequels, instead of leaving them as relics of the past. I guess if you're going to try to keep up the appearance that these movies are still culturally relevant, the backlash is inevitable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I've seen creepier loving movies, but BLT is pretty dark for an innocent-seeming children's film, because it's fundamentally a film about death and obsolescence, and whether you'll be remembered or missed after you're gone.

"Worthless" gives me chills every freaking time. It's interesting how it simultaneously foreshadows Toy Story and Cars. I don't know exactly how much John Lasseter had to do with that scene in particular, but it makes me "get" his affinity for automobiles more than the entirety of Cars does. Makes me wonder what it'd be like if Cars was a bit more like that scene... but then, of course, that would essentially make it more like Toy Story, and I guess Pixar felt they needed to go in a different direction.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

IRQ posted:

Speaking of dark cartoon features of the late 80s, All Dogs Go to Heaven was... really dark for a kid's movie. The cute little dogs die!

They don't just die, they GO TO HELL. You SEE HELL in this movie, and it's not like Bugs Bunny Hell where it's just red and fiery and there's a guy with a pitchfork. It's a much more profoundly scary vision. Including legit Hellbeasts.

Not to mention the haunting "You can never come back..." constantly reminding the dog of his eternal doom, never again to see Heaven's light.

This is why animation is awesome.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

redjenova posted:

Anyway, I just rented Tangled on iTunes...

There are still some things about Tangled that I wish would've been changed, since they feel like relics of the wishy-washy, troubled production where they weren't sure if they wanted to make it like Shrek or not. The opening narration sets an unnecessarily sarcastic tone for the movie, and there are a few parts here and there that feel more "jokey" than they need to be.

But that being said, it's definitely a winner, and it can sit rather comfortably alongside stuff like Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast. The thing that impressed me most about it was how they managed to give a pretty silly fairy tale some legitimate relevance and relatability. The tower can be metaphorical for a lot of things, but I think everyone feels "trapped" in one way or another. (The easiest analogy I see is introversion, but there are probably others.) And the scene with the lanterns is true movie magic. It captures that complicated feeling of being on the verge of seeing your dreams come true better than words ever could.

Actually, I just realized that it's a bit like Up in that respect, but coming from a much different direction.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

blurry! posted:

Gothel is more like Frollo than Ursula besides the following facts:

1. Both female
2. Both capable of manipulation.

Besides that, the two have little in common.

Her "villain song" is very reminiscent of Ursula's. That, more than anything, probably gives the impression that she's strikingly similar to Ursula, instead of just kinda similar.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Darko posted:

Mother Knows Best? That's pretty much a carbon copy of "Out There" which is Frollo/Quazi's song.

Well I've only seen the movie once, but I remember a song that musically (not lyrically) had a very similar feel to "Poor Unfortunate Souls". Maybe it was a reprise? It's when she finds Rapunzel at the campsite.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

WETA guy posted:

As for the technique to animate gollum.. he was done in the same manor as any other bit of animation.

Ah, so then we just need to find this manor and have everyone animate there, obviously!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Yawgmoft posted:

By all accounts it doesn't make sense.

Cmon Yo! posted:

David Spade.

You missed a reference

But yeah, I think Emperor's New Groove was always destined to be a bit of a black sheep. It wasn't really like anything else Disney had done before, and it also came before Shrek, which really paved the way for this kind of movie (ad nauseam). Of course, one might wonder why TENG couldn't have been the one that paved the way, but I guess Disney just wasn't ready for that kind of movie, and the general public weren't ready to get that kind of movie from Disney. It really had to come from an outsider first.

But all in all, I'm just glad the movie hasn't been lost forever or anything like that. It did okay.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Chernabog posted:

All this talk about tangled made me finally watch it on netflix. It reminded me a lot of the little mermaid.
I thought it was just ok, but maybe I will attribute that to me not liking musicals in general, or maybe that I am not the target demographic.

I think the movie has a slight identity crisis that makes it feel a little "off" in places. Overall I thought it succeeded despite those moments, though. But it's always a little frustrating when a movie is very good and yet you get the sense that it could've been better if the people making it had just shifted their focus a little bit.

But still, that lantern scene

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I still need to watch The Land Before Time again. Most of the other Bluth films are pretty firmly in my memory, but that one is pretty far in the past.

I re-watched All Dogs for the first time in years and I found it a lot... "weirder" than I remembered it. I know we all like dark children's movies, but I honestly think they might have gone too far, not in terms of content but just in terms of tone. There's something bleak and unnerving about the whole thing. It's probably not on purpose. I just don't think they quite hit the right balance between fun and serious.

The notorious Big-Lipped Alligator scene was probably one of the attempts to alleviate that, but it only raises more questions. All of the musical numbers in the film have this weird low-key feel to them, which I think just adds to the creepiness.

Considering that this was directly before Rock-A-Doodle and the subsequent downward spiral, I guess it's not surprising that it feels a little off.

While I'm throwing in my two cents about Bluth, I might as well mention that I think An American Tail is great (despite the stereotypes, which I really just think were shorthand for depicting mice of different nationalities and wasn't malicious in any way). Probably the most sympathetic characters in any Bluth film. I'm very fond of NIMH and Anastasia too. And Titan AE, though that's squarely in the "flawed masterpiece" category.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

In Spanish, el gato in a sombrero.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

japtor posted:

Did you mean Spanglish?

Nobody knows the song?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I know the recent ads claimed that Dumbo is "the most beloved animated movie of all time" or some other ridiculous claim like that, but in all seriousness, is it really all that popular? It's always struck me as right around the same level as Hunchback in terms of how much the general public really cares about it. Like, just above Three Cabelleros. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tangled and Frozen! From the studio that brought you Asleep, Wooden, Impoverished, Waterlogged, Lamplocked, Ugly, Indigenous, etc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

9 had a lot going for it, but ultimately I just found it to be a confusing mess with dull characters. It actually kind of made sense that the characters were uninteresting when you learned more about their true nature, but... sometimes you gotta embellish a little for the sake of telling a good story. I remember not even really liking the action scenes because I simply didn't know or care about anything that was happening.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheSwami posted:

People praised Horton Hears a Who, which was kinda sweet I guess (the fact that it gets trotted out by conservatives as an anti-abortion parable taints it for me). But I don't remember it being full of fart and pop culture jokes or crass marketing moves that completely undermined the intention of the original story.

Even that had a lot of "hip" humor that didn't really feel true to the Seuss style. It's a good movie if you can get past that, but I still wish a lot of these studios could resist the urge to turn everything into Shrek. (Ironically, Dreamworks is doing a pretty good job of that at the moment.) It's annoying that every animated movie has to try to be the smartest kid on the block.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Echoing the above -- it's technologically possible for sure. But presumably, they want to exercise more artistic control over the characters' faces during dialogue than merely having their lips match the words.

For such a major production, where everything goes through a million phases before being committed to a final print, it's very unlikely.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dumb brunette posted:

You do see it all the time with Hunchback of Notre Dame, though, and I've never gotten quite why when so few of the other Disney flicks based on books get it. It can't even be the argument that it's a darker book than most of the stuff they base movies on, considering!

I'm fairly sure it's just because there was already a very well-known film adaptation of it. Most people hadn't heard about these other stories at all until Disney got their hands on them. But along comes Hunchback and all of a sudden everybody's a literature expert.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Martytoof posted:

I don't even really see any gargoyle toys anymore either.

Actually I think beyond the Esmerelda and Quasi dolls I don't see any Hunchback toys.

I've always been amused by the existence of a Frollo action figure. You'd usually find them on the shelves at cheapo places where all the more desirable figures obviously sold out a long time ago. Who's going to identify with this character to the extent that they want to own his action figure? Very self-aware Catholic priests?

He's a great example of a villain who's just repulsive on every level, not because he's shallow and painted in broad strokes, but because we do know his motivations and it makes us want to have nothing to do with him. Doesn't exactly have that Darth Vader appeal when it comes to merchandising, though...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Man, I hope that's still up when I get home from work.

Fatkraken posted:

I've rather fallen back in love with Hunchback. Gargoyles notwithstanding there's a hell of a lot of good stuff in there, not least of which is the way the music makes itself felt throughout the film in a far more sophisticated way than most Disney films. There are repeated melodies not just in the background music but in the actual sings: Hellfire especially picks up on a leitmotif that has been used in both Bells of Notre Dame and in the background music and is pretty much the main theme of the movie. A lot of other cues from the songs are repeated in the incidental music. Combined with the structure of the songs (mixing up dialogue and song in quite long scenes) it makes the whole thing feel a lot more like a stage musical, as the music is more woven into the story and feels less like disconnected set pieces.

It's definitely up there with stuff like Les Miserables and Sweeney Todd, and also, of course, The Prince of Egypt. Of all the Disney musicals, it's the one that least falls into the category of "pop" musical, followed closely by Beauty and the Beast.

Speaking of "Hellfire", it's not really any subtle mysterious thing, but I just really appreciate that entire sequence, starting with Quasimodo singing "Heaven's Light" and then transitioning into Frollo's hugely contrasting song, with both of them singing about the same basic thing from two different perspectives. They both want Esmeralda but can't have her, for different reasons.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

No discussion of voice actors would be complete without a nod to Seth MacFarlane. I know he's garnered a lot of ill will because Family Guy is crap now, but he's still freaking great. During the show's good years, his delivery was crucial to a lot of the comedy, and his range is ridiculous. When he repeats a voice, it's only because he's already voicing, like, 4 other completely distinct characters in the same show. He also, on many occasions, pulls off the difficult feats of 1) singing in character, for any given voice and 2) having one of his characters imitate another one of his characters. The dude is really pretty brilliant at what he does, despite overexposure.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Yes, the portrayal of Moses is what makes the movie so powerful, no matter what you believe (unless, of course, you believe that it is a bad movie). Despite its inaccuracy to the text (take your pick, it's inaccurate to any religious text you choose to look at) it gets one thing right that most Bible movies don't: it views the people in the story as real, fleshed-out characters. It doesn't have that detached, God's-eye-view feeling that these movies usually have; no doubt because they're afraid to stray from the text, for fear of alienating fundamentalists, who make it their life's mission to be alienated anyway. It makes very logical assumptions about how real people would feel in that situation. Moses grew up in Egypt and was raised in the royal family, so he was basically being asked to go against his brother and destroy his homeland. Discovering his true lineage later in life probably didn't make that any easier. Nor did his faith that he was doing it for God. Faith does not equal fearlessness. To assume that he went in there with the bravado of Charleton Heston is actually a bigger deviation from the text, IMO.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Aside from all the cool video game characters, the Wreck-It-Ralph trailer is just a really great trailer overall. I love the way they use "Once In A Lifetime". In fact, part of me is hoping that's the actual intro of the movie, because it's really effective.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Argue posted:

I want them to partner with several videogame developers to have Ralph cameo in several of this year's crop of games, basically chronicling his journey through video land. Make it happen, Disney.

Valve did something like this on a small scale when Portal 2 came out. They also did a similar synergy of free DLC & achievements for a summer "festival". Mostly indie games. Doing it with Disney and the major publishers would probably just have too much red tape and money involved though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

My chief problem with TinTin was that even though the characters didn't look as lifeless as they did in Polar Express, the style was still a little too realistic for the slapstick gags they attempted to pull off. In a way, those gags fulfilled the "creepy and lifeless" quota (established by Polar Express) even though the characters themselves looked fine. They were so slow and weird. It felt like watching a retarded magician repeatedly try and fail to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The good thing about this Brave Little Toaster thing is it might inspire them to release the original on Blu-ray. And I guess the other thing is it already has terrible sequels so I guess the damage has been done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

raditts posted:

You say "the whimsical Elfman romp" as though there were any other kind of Elfman piece.

Elfman's a versatile composer, but when he's doing the score for a "Tim Burton being Tim Burton" movie, you're gonna get exactly what you're expecting. I figure the thought process is, if Burton's not trying, why should he?

Then once in a while you get something like Big Fish where they both do something fresh and original.

«2 »