Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Waroduce posted:

Not sure where to ask this, but its in an windows enterprise environment. Does anyone know if you can send receive text or mms over avaya IP office without their little app messenger thing? could it be fowarded to email if sent to an ip phone #?

will move/edit if shouldn't be here.

I'm fairly sure you can do it through their messaging web portal if you have that up but christ is it a big pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Avaya application software development is "hire a different offshore code factory for each project" so nobody should be surprised that it is all complete poo poo with zero interoperability.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone ever seen a Windows Network Adapter simultaneously show two IP Addresses in ipconfig /all?

It's the standard Virtual Adapter that comes with Hyper-V, I've tried resetting/rebooting the adapter but there's one always second address. My next approach is to just blow away the machine and re-build but this has left me perplexed and I've never seen anything like it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone ever seen a Windows Network Adapter simultaneously show two IP Addresses in ipconfig /all?

It's the standard Virtual Adapter that comes with Hyper-V, I've tried resetting/rebooting the adapter but there's one always second address. My next approach is to just blow away the machine and re-build but this has left me perplexed and I've never seen anything like it.

Are they both dhcp? Do they both work?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You can assign two IPs to a NIC in Windows. You can't do it if the NIC is set to get it's address from DHCP, but if you've statically assigned it you can assign more than one.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We've been seeing a recurring issue with Server 2012 and 2012 R2, both VMs on Vmware and physicals, sometimes getting a self assigned 169 address along with the proper statically assigned address on reboot. MS points the finger at Cisco, so it looks to be a network issue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It is a Cisco issue. I've been dealing with it as well. Don't remember the details but on Windows 7 it manifests as an IP conflict with an internal IP and then gets a real IP.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What is the workaround? Bounce it until it goes away? That doesn't sound great..

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phone posting but this is what I've run into -
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/8021x/116529-problemsolution-product-00.html

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1028373

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...winserverhyperv

Also I didn't mean to ignore the comments from a few pages ago. Been swamped with a project.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tony Montana posted:

What is the workaround? Bounce it until it goes away? That doesn't sound great..

For VMware, disconnecting and reconnecting the virtual network does it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Has anyone gone through a RAP assessment? My boss just dumped this on my lap and said "We're RAPing SCCM this year" and I just have to fill out this silly survey and click "go" on a program I install somewhere?

Man I gotta get the hell out of IT.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Has anyone gone through a RAP assessment? My boss just dumped this on my lap and said "We're RAPing SCCM this year" and I just have to fill out this silly survey and click "go" on a program I install somewhere?

At my old job we did SQL and Exchange in back-to-back years, we got some pretty good info out of the SQL one (we were pretty weak experience-wise in that area). Exchange they didn't find anything majorly wrong, but that made the bosses happy. We had onsite MS guys doing both and they were pretty knowledgeable and able to answer questions about the findings pretty well.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

The ConfigMgr RAP is very good. I did it about eight months ago and they dig pretty deep into your environment. The main thing to be aware of is that they want SQL configured a very specific way - if you're doing something else because of how your organization handles SQL server it may throw up a bunch of red flags that aren't warranted.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Server 2012 R2 Certificate Services Web Enrollment IIS site....I installed the role and obviously it works with defaults. But, I want to force the browser authentication popup to appear so a user can authenticate to the site with a different Windows/AD account. The default expectation and behaviour is to pass through the Windows authentication of the currently logged on user to the site which is fine, but I don't want that, I want the popup. How do I force this?

e: never mind, I resolved it with modified permissions on the site's virtual directory!!!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, you do have to get out of IT.

I'm doing an AD RAP on Monday. The questionnaire is anything but silly and the 'go on a program you install' is custom piece of software written for Microsoft to gather information about your network.

A powershell scripter with a grasp of WMI would appreciate the elegance and power of it.

Then I'll be spending 3 days with a Microsoft Active Directory PFE.. which is the peak of the industry and probably the highest quality technical talent in this country.

I will meet the PFE and have the name of the local MS recruiter by the time I'm done.

I went through much of the PFE interview process in London and only dropped out because I came back to Australia. You can tell a lot about an organization about the way they interview.

If this is all boring, ho-hum, omg I hate IT stuff to you.. then yeah.. you need to go and do something else.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tony Montana posted:

You can tell a lot about an organization about the way they interview.

How was it?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty drat amazing.

So there was two parts to the initial interviews. If you made it through those then you're asked to come to MS HQ to go through a 3 day process of whiteboarding questions and generally proving you are all you say you are.

The initial interviews were split into technical and business, the technical with one of their current PFEs and the business with their line manager.

Technical first and it was.. scary. Very calm, personable and friendly guy.. we chatted about my holiday and it was immediately obvious being friends with this guy would be easy. This would be a theme I'd notice re-occurring, everyone from HR through to the line managers were all amazingly professional.. nice.. calm.. obviously well paid people at the top of their industry with nothing to prove to anyone. Then we got down to business and his style was.. frightening. He'd say something like 'ok, explain to me how clients in a MS domain find a domain controller via DNS' and you'd think ok great, I know this one and you'd start rattling off the process. He'd then stop you and say 'ok you obviously know about that.. but how about.. this specific part of DNS? How does that work?' and you'd stop and hopefully you know that too.. but he was really focused on drilling through to what you didn't know. He was very good at quickly identifying when you understood the textbook answer to something and would deliberately probe you in directions he had established you're weaker in.

Keep in mind this is through video conference (not Skype but a custom thing MS uses internally, it's all very cool :)) and I've got OneNote open next to the conference with notes. It's basically an open-book interview but because it's one-on-one with the engineer and he's does a lot of this, he picks up very quickly when you're unsure of something. You can frantically click and answer, but he'll just pick up on that and push it in a direction that you don't have notes for.

I came out of that very impressed, both with my interviewer and PFEs (and MS) in general. Apparently I did ok, but wasn't quite at the technical level they need.

Then the business interview with the line manager. Lots of questions like 'so you're representing MS in front of these mega-corps, we've asked to you explain this new feature of our new server operating system. Explain to me specific methods you'd use to engage your audience'. University helped me a lot here, you can answer that question by drawing on what you've experienced professional educators use to get through to perhaps 500 millennials crammed into a lecture hall. Usual behavioral stuff and also some focused on the 'tall poppy' mentality you might run into. Basically you come into mega-corps often with huge incumbent IT teams, many of whom have feathered their nests well, and pretty much often tell people and perhaps entire departments how to do their job. Obviously this can be met with less than friendliness.. how do you deal and cope with that?

They got back to me a few days later and said the business interview went so well that they've identified me as a candidate for 'ramp up'. Gosh, I said. Ramp up means we are going to send a special pack of the material we want a PFE to know, we'd like to give you a couple of months to study it and then we want to do the technical interview again. So I got this pack of Microsoft doco on AD, some of which looked internal and perhaps not on Technet. I started studying, decided to return to Oz because London wasn't for me, MS called and asked how I was going and I said I went back to Australia and is there any chance of continuing the process here? They said no, Aus is a completely different business unit but we can recommend you to the Australian MS arm. Which they did but nothing ever came of it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tony Montana posted:

Lots of words

Starting to venture into off topic town, but that's pretty much the exact opposite of my Microsoft interview experience.

After my phone screens, I flew out to Redmond and had the most disorganized day of interviews I've ever seen in my career. I heard 5 very different versions of what exactly the position was, only 1 guy had actually seen a copy of my resume, the hiring manager was having childcare issues so his phone rang every 5 minutes during our time, etc.

The best conversation I had was with a guy who had recently changed divisions and was apparently a stand-in for that particular time block, because the guy who I was supposed to be talking to was unexpectedly off that day. We just shot the poo poo about our standard toolkit of apps, bag of tricks, etc.

The staffing coordinator wanted to set me up with some other groups, but after that experience I just said "eh" and haven't really looked back.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well there you go.

Mine was MS London which is probably nothing like MS Australia which is probably nothing like MS in the states.

YMMV

edit: the MS collection tool for the AD RAP shows the Powershell it used to execute the queries for the data collection. You can learn a lot by just watching how it does it's thing.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 29, 2015

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This Skype for business design is kicking my rear end. Going from no knowledge to getting a somewhat HA environment set up is hurting my brain.

The initial internal poo poo is relatively easy, I have two standard frontend pools running in HA and clients connecting. Setting up the edge server and everything required is something else entirely.

gently caress the company's cloud ban, we'd be done already with our new exchange 2013 and sfb by now going o365, instead wasting a lot of loving time learning everything from the ground up (at least for sfb).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

devmd01 posted:

gently caress the company's cloud ban, we'd be done already with our new exchange 2013 and sfb by now going o365, instead wasting a lot of loving time learning everything from the ground up (at least for sfb).

I didn't architect our Lync servers so I can't help you there, but cloud bans are often in place for a very very good reason, and look on the bright side, you're gaining a lot of knowledge and experience this way!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If I enable Windows 10 (and only tha toption) for WSUS products and classifications, I won't accidentally upgrade any of my machines right?

I'm going to spin up a test machine and see how it works with everything here at the office and join it to the domain.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LmaoTheKid posted:

If I enable Windows 10 (and only tha toption) for WSUS products and classifications, I won't accidentally upgrade any of my machines right?

I'm going to spin up a test machine and see how it works with everything here at the office and join it to the domain.

You actually have a Windows 10 option in WSUS? I don't :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GreenNight posted:

You actually have a Windows 10 option in WSUS? I don't :(

Yep!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the hell.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GreenNight posted:

What the hell.

I remember I was running Windows 8 and had to install this patch to get 8/8.1 to show up so maybe it's from that?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have WSUS on Windows Server 2012. Anyways, I rebooted the server and now it shows up, so thanks!

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

If you're on Windows 8.1 or 7 Enterprise Edition you can't upgrade from Windows update. It needs to be a deployed through a fresh install or deployed upgrade from the Enterprise ISO.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn798755

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sacred Cow posted:

If you're on Windows 8.1 or 7 Enterprise Edition you can't upgrade from Windows update. It needs to be a deployed through a fresh install or deployed upgrade from the Enterprise ISO.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn798755

We're on 7 Pro.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

devmd01 posted:

What's the nature of the cloud ban, anything federal? Department of State / Energy?

Upcoming revisions in ITAR / EAR provisions are going to make a "cloud email exception."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Don't know the reasoning other than the global parent in europe dictated that. No regulatory reasons, were a supply chain/parts supplier.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I can completely understand it being a euro company.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Remember when O365 Exchange blew up a few weeks back? I entered a ticket on the O365 portal asking for an SLA for it and they actually credited me north of $1700 for 400 users. Not mind-blowing but that's the first time I've seen any company pay me an SLA credit even though I've done a dozen legit claims.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So... I was trying to upgrade my work PC OEM to Windows 10.. anyway to download the reservation updates manually, id prefer not to goto the hassle of pushing it out in SCCM? I am on 8.1 x64.. am I still allowed to upgrade\reserve a copy for free?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Is there a document somewhere that shows a list of horrible things that happen if we keep web sites running on iis6? Other than "it's on server 2003" I have that reason down already.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Is there a document somewhere that shows a list of horrible things that happen if we keep web sites running on iis6? Other than "it's on server 2003" I have that reason down already.

Mostly you're running the risk of the server being rooted and used as a springboard in to the rest of the network. Assuming its in the dmz and the other systems in there are also running a software firewall with a good config then propagation shouldn't be too easy. You could install something to try to trick an admin to give up their credentials and then go wild on the network. If I compromised a 2003 webserver in the dmz, first thing I would do it dump the SAM database and run it through OPHcrack to get the pass to the local admin account off the old LM hashes that are probably still there and then assuming that user/pass is used on a bunch of systems try hopping around from there.

It's not great and the local admin password is at risk. Treat that host as extremely hostile in addition to assuming the entire DMZ is hostile by default and you can probably skate by for a while until it gets upgraded.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The amount of effort to migrate IIS stuff running on 2003 to 2008 is probably way less effort than not moving to at least 2008 R2 to push things out four more years. Do you actually have something tieing you to 2003 or is this just a, "I don't want to spend the four hours it would take to migrate to 2008 R2" type thing?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah, you do have to get out of IT.

I'm doing an AD RAP on Monday. The questionnaire is anything but silly and the 'go on a program you install' is custom piece of software written for Microsoft to gather information about your network.

A powershell scripter with a grasp of WMI would appreciate the elegance and power of it.

Then I'll be spending 3 days with a Microsoft Active Directory PFE.. which is the peak of the industry and probably the highest quality technical talent in this country.

I will meet the PFE and have the name of the local MS recruiter by the time I'm done.

I went through much of the PFE interview process in London and only dropped out because I came back to Australia. You can tell a lot about an organization about the way they interview.

If this is all boring, ho-hum, omg I hate IT stuff to you.. then yeah.. you need to go and do something else.

You've got a weird boner for PFEs let me tell you.

We've had 2 PFE engagements in the 8 months I've been here and they were average at best. The first one was a shitshow that wasted 4 days of everybody's time because my boss hosed up the scoping or something (the engagement was a SCOM PFE to help us setup monitirong for AD and SCCM, we got a guy that didn't know anything about SCCM). It was basically a solid 4 day lecture but maybe a quarter to a third of the time was spent with the PFE just searching stuff to try and figure out how to do something. He seemed to know his stuff but wasn't really prepared for what we were asking from him, probably because nobody told him ahead of time what we were going to ask him.

The second one was only 2 days and it wasn't in person it was over the phone, but it was still "sit in a room and listen while the PFE talks all day." That one was probably better because we weren't looking for anything specific out of it? Just more general "get us started with SCORCH" though somehow the meeting event was described as a "Powershell Workflows" engagement and we barely discussed those. But then again I can tell my boss hosed up the scoping call, because halfway through the first day the guy's like "ok so that's kind of the getting started what direction should we go from here" and my boss just drops this solid 5 minute monologue on what our environment was like and I was thinking "there's no way on earth any person could hear that, digest it, and come up with a reasonable response on the fly." Though oddly enough, after that engagement, I went to try and setup some SCORCH runbooks and I ran into a bunch of blog posts from the guy who turned out to be our PFE. Anyway.

So I guess the lesson there is "don't let your dumb boss gently caress up your PFE planning."

But anyway, the survey is pretty dumb because (at leas the SCCM one) is about 3 questions about SCCM and 20-25 questions about the procedures in the environment. Considering we finished our AD RAP 2 months ago and I'm guessing that covered the same procedural stuff, I don't think we're going to get anything groundbreaking out of those questions. And I finally got the RAP analysis tool to work by just opening up the firewall to all traffic from the server running the tool. Because the obtuse as gently caress Microsoft documentation doesn't actually say what you need open, and the logs provide literally no information.

So I finally get the tool to run, upload the data, and take a look at the results. First critical issue I decide to look at is related to MPKEYINFORMATION requests. It goes to a URL on each management point (http://MP_NAME/SMS_MP/.sms_aut?MPKEYINFORMATION) and checks the result. If it's a long string of characters it checks out, otherwise it fails. So it's critical. I go there, I get a 403. I look at the troubleshooting steps, very robust, but none of it fixes it. So I google MPKEYINFORMATION 403, and this is the first result: https://ramzibot.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/mpcert-mplist-access-denied-error-after-securing-the-management-point-by-a-certificate/

We do in fact have client certs. So it doesn't work. And this super amazing piece of software isn't able to figure it out! It just gives me a pointless critical error. And in fact all 3 critical errors are this same problem! So good job Microsoft! We secured our software, and now your super amazing tool can't figure out what to do with itself.

So in summary? PFE engagements are really lovely if you don't prepare for them. But also Microsoft is a giant company with 14 heads and none of them talk to each other, and on top of that System Center is just this giant umbrella of garbage they've acquired over the years with each component at various levels of being brought up to some kind of standard.

I'm just sick and tired of Microsoft's obtuse documentation. There's a lot of "what" but not very much "how" or even less "why."

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

lol internet. posted:

So... I was trying to upgrade my work PC OEM to Windows 10.. anyway to download the reservation updates manually, id prefer not to goto the hassle of pushing it out in SCCM? I am on 8.1 x64.. am I still allowed to upgrade\reserve a copy for free?

A domain joined PC will not prompt to receive/perform the upgrade. You can manually install KB3035583, download the installer ISO, and perform an upgrade from within windows (provided you have admin rights) and it should 'just work'. I've done this on a few test machines at the office.

If you have deployed Enterprise licensing to these PC's instead of just leaving the OEM windows install, then this method won't work and you will need to install Windows 10 in the proper, enterprise deployed and KMS activated way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
No RSAT for 10 yet which is a bit of a downer.