Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Biggest problem would probably be the 2012r2 box defaulting to newer things in SMB that 2000 doesn't support. Also any Group Policy things you depend on that don't exist in 2000.

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine and a 2000 Small Business Server DC and everything pretty much works :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

I have domain joined 2000 boxes. All DCs and functional level are 2012 (non-R2). Have not hit any issues.

Thanks

thebigcow posted:

Biggest problem would probably be the 2012r2 box defaulting to newer things in SMB that 2000 doesn't support. Also any Group Policy things you depend on that don't exist in 2000.

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine and a 2000 Small Business Server DC and everything pretty much works :gonk:

That was one thought I had, I highly doubt SMB 3.02 is supported in 2000. Might take a bit of modifying

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: like, in your very link, it says that 2000 isn't supported on a 2012 R2 DC

I can't actually find where it says that in the article but chances are I'm just being blind.

It mentions things like no NTLM support for authentication so you might need to do something with local policy to get the 2k box talking, but all the official stuff I can find says you can join a 2k client to a 2012 R2 domain.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks all, I think I'll have to do some fucky poo poo for SMB and authentication but it might still work.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks all, I think I'll have to do some fucky poo poo for SMB and authentication but it might still work.

Probably. Make sure the 2K box can do NTLMv2 128 bit, and I wouldn't even know where to start with SMB and Kerberos.

Microsoft doesn't test stuff that old, so who knows. A workaround I saw online was to have a 2003 domain for the legacy stuff and setup a trust.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Has anyone used DFS with Namespaces for highly-available fileshares? I'm try to architect storage that would replicate between two points and be accessible even if one host was down.

For example,

- Server 1
- Server 2

Both servers have a 10+ TB Data Disk that's shared out to "Data D:" that's then carved into a namespace of \\Contoso.com\NS\Share0

My questions are, exactly how reliable is this sort of setup? I was experimenting with simulating an outage by turning of one of the servers and it seemed to work however Windows Explorer did become unresponsive at certain points.

tl;dr - I need a gigantic mapped drive that's geographically dispersed.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Never trust DFS.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Swink posted:

Never trust DFS.
empty quote this forever.

Good luck changing any permissions EVER on anything on that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I uae DFS-N for any share I make, even when not using DFS-R. :ssh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DFS actually owns

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I mean as long as you're not putting user profiles or folder replication without doing manual fail over or have super large files I don't really see the problem.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Ignoring the replication issues you'd get when two people connected to two different servers try to edit the same file, DFS takes a bit to have clients switch to another server when one fails. It's not very graceful and hardly seamless.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've always seen DFS as a nice way of managing file sharing and abstracting away the actual file servers, and keeping file servers at branch locations in sync, not as high availability.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Okay, how the hell do I backup DFS?

Safely Virtualizing DFSR

quote:

Virtual Machine Saved States/Snapshots. When virtualizing DFSR, start the virtual machine, run DFSR and if you need to stop the virtual machine, fully shut down the guest OS. Do not use saved states or snapshots.
Backing Up Virtualized DFSR. When backing up virtualized DFSR, perform a guest side backup using a backup product that is VSS aware. Do not perform or restore from host side backups of virtualized DFSR servers.

Okay, what the hell do I use then? Obviously, I'm in a virtualized environment.

Would do I need to put the servers in clusters? Or what do I lose without clustering? Windows Server DFS Clustering

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I like DFS-R for things like keeping IIS websites in sync, file shares have always been a bit flaky for me though. DFS-N doesn't really have any downsides that I've seen though.

Tab8715 posted:

Safely Virtualizing DFSR

Would do I need to put the servers in clusters? Or what do I lose without clustering? Windows Server DFS Clustering
They're saying to use something running on the DFSR server to back it up, don't back up from the host. You can use VM backup solutions as long as they're VSS aware, so stuff like Veeam should work for file-level backups and restores, but not for restoring the whole VM.

Basically the same idea as domain controllers (although I've read you can snapshot DC's in 2012?)

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 5, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

Safely Virtualizing DFSR

Curious on this as well. We have 3 virtualized FS (one per main site). No DFS. They are backed up/replicated for DR and file restores, but I still take them down for patching during maintenance windows.

Would be nice to be able to not take that outage.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Moey posted:

Curious on this as well. We have 3 virtualized FS (one per main site). No DFS. They are backed up/replicated for DR and file restores, but I still take them down for patching during maintenance windows.

Would be nice to be able to not take that outage.
If you're looking for redundancy / rolling maintenance windows, just setup a failover cluster (so don't worry about DFS)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation

wyoak posted:

If you're looking for redundancy / rolling maintenance windows, just setup a failover cluster (so don't worry about DFS)

I feel like I'm approaching this entirely wrong and should do something with Windows Server Clusters with File Sharing.

I'll be experimenting and report back later with my results.

Note - Everything in hosted in Azure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WSFC is fun as poo poo when you have multiple subnets.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

WSFC is fun as poo poo when you have multiple subnets.

And it adds a can of worms (slightly) for me within a VMware environment. I think that has been cleaned up a ton with ESXi 6, but I have not done any testing yet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I spent a day looking at all the nitty-gritty details of WSFC in Vmware 5.5 for a new SQL cluster build and said gently caress it, i'll eat the SAN space and just implement AlwaysOn Availability groups.

Don't forget to modify SameSubnetDelay and CrossSubnetDelay properties though!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 5, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Over the next few months we will be consolidating users and PCs from two separate forests down to a brand new one. About 140 users/PCs in one, and 200 users/PCs in the other. Trusts exist, infrastructure is in place, group policies, etc. etc. User migration will happen by doing an exchange forest move to a new Exchange 2013 environment while preserving SID history, which will take care of access issues until we rebuild file servers, etc.

For the computers though, is it really worth bothering with ADMT? I really don't give a poo poo about migrating user profiles, i'd rather have them start with a fresh profile and just copy any files over from their old one. We'll additionally need to rename PCs in one company to a new standard, since theirs is all over the place instead of based upon asset tag. Since we'll need to be hands-on with people anyways, why not do it manually?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Received an agency-wide email earlier informing everyone that a coworker from another department passed away last night after a long bout with some terminal disease. My first thought, "Hmmm, guess I can disable his AD account now" :dukedog:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm in a position where I need to learn how certificates work quickly.
Is there an easy guide somewhere to turn me into an expert in a day?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm in a position where I need to learn how certificates work quickly.
Is there an easy guide somewhere to turn me into an expert in a day?

Uh, what specifically do you want to know? Where are you starting from? Do you know what PKI is? How SSL/TLS work? Key exchanges? Algorithms? Ciphers?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, what specifically do you want to know? Where are you starting from? Do you know what PKI is? How SSL/TLS work? Key exchanges? Algorithms? Ciphers?

Well, I get it from a mathematical point of view. I just need to figure out how to get an IIS server to stop saying that my certificates are hosed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well, I get it from a mathematical point of view. I just need to figure out how to get an IIS server to stop saying that my certificates are hosed.

What errors are you getting? How is it currently configured?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Buy new certs and they'll tell you how to install them.

If you already have them, just hit up the digicert KB.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Swink posted:

Buy new certs and they'll tell you how to install them.

If you already have them, just hit up the digicert KB.

He might using an internal PKI

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
10 bucks says he's got errors *because* of the internal CA.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'll try to figure out an explanation for the problem tomorrow at work. I was working through an IIS book and when it got to setting up certs, it said basically that it was beyond the scope of the book.

I know there's some sort of process for getting certs in the production environment, but since I'm working with dev servers I was hoping to just make something work with self-signed certificates or something.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Microsoft has a half-rear end step by step guide for building a LAN ADCA, pushing it to clients and installing it into IIS.

It might be helpful.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg314532(v=ws.10).aspx

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

Microsoft has a half-rear end step by step guide for building a LAN ADCA, pushing it to clients and installing it into IIS.

It might be helpful.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg314532(v=ws.10).aspx

This might be what I'm looking for. I'll give it a shot and maybe it'll sorta work.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone have success with Surface Book & SCCM PXE boot? I am having a hard time getting it to boot with both the surface book brick dock and USB\Ethernet adapter. Essentially what happens is it sees the PXE server, says it downloaded the wdsnbp.com file and quickly goes to boot afterwards. PXE works fine for any other machines.

That being said, I have had issues with 3/3 Surfacebooks I've gotten so far. One machine just stopped turning on, one machine has a discolor on the LCD, and the undock button on the keyboard wouldn't work on the last one. So much for a $3500 machine, stay away for now if possible.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is the Surface Book UEFI only or booting in UEFI mode? wdsnbp.com is a 16 bit executable for BIOS booting machines, you need to get UEFI PXE booting working.

bigdookie
Nov 21, 2005
The Awesome!
Grimey Drawer

lol internet. posted:

Anyone have success with Surface Book & SCCM PXE boot? I am having a hard time getting it to boot with both the surface book brick dock and USB\Ethernet adapter. Essentially what happens is it sees the PXE server, says it downloaded the wdsnbp.com file and quickly goes to boot afterwards. PXE works fine for any other machines.

That being said, I have had issues with 3/3 Surfacebooks I've gotten so far. One machine just stopped turning on, one machine has a discolor on the LCD, and the undock button on the keyboard wouldn't work on the last one. So much for a $3500 machine, stay away for now if possible.

Not sure if this directly applies, but when we imaged our Surfaces with SCCM we had to turn off the secure UEFI boot for everything to function correctly. After that PXE boot and all other functions were normal.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I assume that's "Secure Boot" on the surface book. I set it to none and it creates this giant red box with a unlock keypad at boot up but it still doesn't seem to work.

bigdookie
Nov 21, 2005
The Awesome!
Grimey Drawer

lol internet. posted:

I assume that's "Secure Boot" on the surface book. I set it to none and it creates this giant red box with a unlock keypad at boot up but it still doesn't seem to work.

Yup, that is what I was talking about, after that we were all set.

Very odd as that resolved our SCCM imaging issues for Surfaces.

Is the USB adapter a genuine MS Surface approved one? I only had success using the dock / official addons with PXE booting devices in general.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

bigdookie posted:

Yup, that is what I was talking about, after that we were all set.

Very odd as that resolved our SCCM imaging issues for Surfaces.

Is the USB adapter a genuine MS Surface approved one? I only had success using the dock / official addons with PXE booting devices in general.

Hmm I can seem to boot with USB now after upgrading to Windows 10 ADK. Still can't PXE boot but I read an article that says you need to use IP helpers on the switches to point at the PXE boot on a UEFI\Legacy PXE setup. Will try that next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

What's the best way for me to have a Windows user account that can READ anything a domain admin can, but cannot make changes to the environment?