Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

loving finally.

E: ffs, its not going to be on WSUS.

CLAM DOWN posted:

ugh why is this not on WSUS

Just manually import it. They give you the steps how to. Also if /r/sysadmin is to be believed it also includes the win10 notification. If you don't have this blocked yet, do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

Just manually import it. They give you the steps how to. Also if /r/sysadmin is to be believed it also includes the win10 notification. If you don't have this blocked yet, do so.
If it's really all the updates from beginning to end, it wouldn't surprise me that they added KB3035583 and KB2952664/KB2976978. It also shouldn't be difficult to remove them from your WIM using dism.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

anthonypants posted:

Uh, it makes sense that it isn't on WSUS because they want you to apply it to your base image instead of installing Windows and then applying patches.

I could significantly reduce the space WSUS takes up if it was on there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thank god they finally released this! I dont know what took them so long.

As far as WSUS goes I know this probably isnt the preferred way to manage it but I just blow it away and start fresh once the update catalog reaches a certain size. At some point I should look and see if its possible to point it to an outside sql database but that seems like more effort than its worth.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I haven't jumped to full blown SQL for wsus, but I HAVE been doing the suggested "unofficial" maintenance on the database.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61. Much more responsive.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

incoherent posted:

I haven't jumped to full blown SQL for wsus, but I HAVE been doing the suggested "unofficial" maintenance on the database.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61 Much more responsive.

Fixed link.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

I'll give this a shot sometime soon.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Also more wsus talk: You can get surface driver\firmware from wsus now

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/beanexpert/2016/03/25/surface-3pro-4book-updates-available-in-wsus/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

And when they say everything, they also mean the updates you might not want. LIke "uprade to 10" and all the sales data gathering updates.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

incoherent posted:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61. Much more responsive.

By the way, even if you use a dedicated SQL server, WSUS still suffers from that stupid superseded update database problem.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I realize this is a bit of a stretch, but has anyone else had massive issues with slowness and lag in apps after the May patch Tuesday? We rolled out updates on Tuesday night and now we're getting reports of really slow apps, long network access times, and just general slowness. We've got Windows 7 64-bit with Office 2013. Outlook is pointed to Office365 for Exchange, but everything else is local.
I pushed out updates via SCCM, and everything seemed to go well, but now we're getting loads of problem reports, and I can't find anything that points to a single update. Anyone have ideas, or has anyone else seen the same thing?
Apologies is this is the wrong thread, but it seemed appropriate.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

What updates did you specifically approve? Nothing in the wsus mailing list indicated regression in patches, a sly re-release for a .net update but that's about it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Troubleshooting Windows Performance is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles especially when it's not one process that's not hanging up the whole system.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We pretty much pulled down everything in the May bulletin list. We've got a case open with MS to help us figure out what's going on too. We can't find any network issues, so we're hoping we can pinpoint something specific that got installed that's causing problems.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Tab8715 posted:

Troubleshooting Windows Performance is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles especially when it's not one process that's not hanging up the whole system.

I've had a WMI query consume all CPU on a server so bad it had to be restarted. Did you know all WMI queries show up under a single process run by the local system account? Good luck finding out who or what ran the query! I've since learned how to turn on WMI logging in the event log.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Funzo posted:

We pretty much pulled down everything in the May bulletin list. We've got a case open with MS to help us figure out what's going on too. We can't find any network issues, so we're hoping we can pinpoint something specific that got installed that's causing problems.

Have you patched servers yet? I've seen a bunch of people mention that DNS broke on some of their AD servers after the latest updates, could cause some of the problems you are describing if a bunch of DNS servers are no longer responding.
Fix mentioned on this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2647170

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse but is it supported to completely virtualize all Domain Controllers for an entire forest/domain?

I'm 99% confident with answering yes but the lack of any official Microsoft documentation makes me a little and some of the previous virtualization engineers I've worked with have recommend against.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse but is it supported to completely virtualize all Domain Controllers for an entire forest/domain?

I'm 99% confident with answering yes but the lack of any official Microsoft documentation makes me a little and some of the previous virtualization engineers I've worked with have recommend against.

Yes. When is comes to domain controllers the most reliable environment and quickest recovery times are the only things that matter.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there a fundamental difference between Windows 10 Hyper-V and Windows Server Hyper-V aside from things like FT / HA?

I bought an Intel Nuc for a home lab. Low and behold I can't add additional ethernet drivers without hacking Windows Server. I just want to run VMs on an independent VLAN with the least amount of managerial overhead.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

If you run it on an endpoint, it takes foreeeever. Probably just about as long as just running Windows Update.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, advanced SCCM restore question.

Someone maliciously deleted a task sequence and it would be nice to get it back. We don't back up the task sequences per se (but we may soon!) but we do backup the database nightly.

My first thought was to dig into the database and find the database field etc etc. I found a TS_TaskSequence table, but it has the entire task sequence stored in a giant encrypted string called Sequence. I haven't found any info on how to decode that, so that's a dead end.

So my second thought is use the database backup to restore to a test instance and export it there. This is a triple whammy because in addition to solving my current problem, it lets me test our backups and also gives me practice restoring from backup.

My problem with restoring from backup is I can't find information on restoring to a new instance rather than replacing my supposedly failed production instance. My current environment works just fine, I don't want to overwrite it or anything, I just want to restore it to a new site code. All the stuff I've found talks about restoring into your production instance, which I don't want.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So, advanced SCCM restore question.

Someone maliciously deleted a task sequence and it would be nice to get it back. We don't back up the task sequences per se (but we may soon!) but we do backup the database nightly.

My first thought was to dig into the database and find the database field etc etc. I found a TS_TaskSequence table, but it has the entire task sequence stored in a giant encrypted string called Sequence. I haven't found any info on how to decode that, so that's a dead end.

So my second thought is use the database backup to restore to a test instance and export it there. This is a triple whammy because in addition to solving my current problem, it lets me test our backups and also gives me practice restoring from backup.

My problem with restoring from backup is I can't find information on restoring to a new instance rather than replacing my supposedly failed production instance. My current environment works just fine, I don't want to overwrite it or anything, I just want to restore it to a new site code. All the stuff I've found talks about restoring into your production instance, which I don't want.

Clone your sccm server and isolate it. Do the restore you are afraid to do, check and see if the results are as desired.

Why would someone delete a task sequence? Did he delete the task sequence or the folder it was stored in?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 26, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm not even entirely sure how I would isolate it. It would need access to a domain controller to function I would think and once it's talking to a domain controller all bets are off I'd think. But it wouldn't have rights to write to the System Management container so what would the downsides be to having duplicate Site codes.

As to why, just a lot of drama I guess. I run SCCM for a University, and we basically provide it as a service to departments. So I get a call from a guy saying that a coworker maliciously deleted his task sequence. So we are all children or something I guess.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a fundamental difference between Windows 10 Hyper-V and Windows Server Hyper-V aside from things like FT / HA?

I bought an Intel Nuc for a home lab. Low and behold I can't add additional ethernet drivers without hacking Windows Server. I just want to run VMs on an independent VLAN with the least amount of managerial overhead.

It will be fine to use. Personally, getting your feet wet with powershell is going to set you up for long term success and begin you on your journey of not relying on the GUI. Also, this dude already did the heavy lifting for you

http://somedownti.me/server-2012-r2-core-and-hyper-v-on-intel-nuc/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm not even entirely sure how I would isolate it. It would need access to a domain controller to function I would think and once it's talking to a domain controller all bets are off I'd think.

Are these all virtual?

If so, restore whatever you need to an isolated environment.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Here's some useful information about virtualizing Domain Controllers. It'll help you understand what the problem is not only with virtualizing DCs, but why snapshot restoration on DCs can be a bad idea. It'll also help you understand replication a bit better:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831734.aspx

Important line from the link above:

quote:

Beginning with Windows Server 2012, AD DS virtual domain controllers hosted on hypervisor platforms that expose an identifier called VM-Generation ID can detect and employ necessary safety measures to protect the AD DS environment if the virtual machine is rolled back in time by the application of a VM snapshot.

GPF fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 27, 2016

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay goons, I guess this is the best place to ask, if not point me to where I need to go.

I am having some odd certificate errors and it's starting to get a bit frustrating. I imaged a computer with a fresh W10 image and put it on my corporate network like a good little monkey. However, it was having issues with the certificates installed by Websense (barf) to be able to use the internet. However, I figured off the corporate network, I wouldn't have issues. I was wrong, they're worse. At least on the Corp network it will allow me to "go to the page" after hitting advanced. At home it blocks basically everything.

I've already compared the certs to a known good working W10 machine. They show the https strike through but it doesn't block the pages themselves. The certificates are all exactly the same. Does anyone have any idea what would cause one computer to not pull the certs correctly and one to work fine? Same build, everything.

I'll give as much info as I can without giving out too much about the corporate network, to answer questions.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay goons, I guess this is the best place to ask, if not point me to where I need to go.

I am having some odd certificate errors and it's starting to get a bit frustrating. I imaged a computer with a fresh W10 image and put it on my corporate network like a good little monkey. However, it was having issues with the certificates installed by Websense (barf) to be able to use the internet. However, I figured off the corporate network, I wouldn't have issues. I was wrong, they're worse. At least on the Corp network it will allow me to "go to the page" after hitting advanced. At home it blocks basically everything.

I've already compared the certs to a known good working W10 machine. They show the https strike through but it doesn't block the pages themselves. The certificates are all exactly the same. Does anyone have any idea what would cause one computer to not pull the certs correctly and one to work fine? Same build, everything.

I'll give as much info as I can without giving out too much about the corporate network, to answer questions.
Are certs for all HTTPS sites showing as Websense certs? If so, Websense is MITM'ing the traffic, so you've gotta have whatever the Websense root CA is in the trusted roots on the workstation (and be aware that Websense can steal your infos). As for not working at home - if it's a proxy, maybe the proxy isn't accessible from home. Or CRL checking is enabled and the CRL isn't available from outside the corporate network. Or other scenarios.

If you'are seeing the real certificates, maybe your root cert store is corrupted or there's a domain policy wiping it out or something silly like that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a way for organisations to run those MITM SSL inspection boxes that doesn't also make them liable if for instance you were online banking and your details got stolen? Or do the sorts of places who want to inspect everything that their staff are doing have a blanket "no personal stuff on work computers" policy?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a way for organisations to run those MITM SSL inspection boxes that doesn't also make them liable if for instance you were online banking and your details got stolen? Or do the sorts of places who want to inspect everything that their staff are doing have a blanket "no personal stuff on work computers" policy?
Can't speak for liability, but every proxy I've seen that features SSL inspection is configurable and allows you to whitelist/blacklist sites.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Moey posted:

Are these all virtual?

If so, restore whatever you need to an isolated environment.

So I'm just thinking out loud here, someone stop me if I'm totally misunderstanding what I'm talking about.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what "isolated" means in this context. I have SQL backups, so I'd standup a new DB server (easy), restore the DB backup to that server (also easy) and standup another server to be my new "site server" (still easy). Then I do a site restore and say I've manually restored the database and point it at the new DB. I know it's going to use my same production site code. I would not give it permission to publish to Active Directory. We don't do any boundary based site assignment, so I don't think there would be any way for a client to think that this new instance is what it should talk to. Is there any more way I can isolate it? I don't think I can remove it from the domain, which is the only other "isolation" I can think of. I guess I could jack up the firewall and block all traffic except my connection to it? That seems a bit overboard.

Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Restore a DC and the database servers but connect them to a virtual switch that isn't physically connected to your network. This way you get the full AD environment but there's no chance of it interfering with prod.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

wyoak posted:

Are certs for all HTTPS sites showing as Websense certs? If so, Websense is MITM'ing the traffic, so you've gotta have whatever the Websense root CA is in the trusted roots on the workstation (and be aware that Websense can steal your infos). As for not working at home - if it's a proxy, maybe the proxy isn't accessible from home. Or CRL checking is enabled and the CRL isn't available from outside the corporate network. Or other scenarios.

If you'are seeing the real certificates, maybe your root cert store is corrupted or there's a domain policy wiping it out or something silly like that.

Yes, they're all Websense certs, and I have the proper root cert in trusted. The odd thing is it only happens on specific installs (IE: The ones I've done from an approved image). I'm going to take the laptop and side by side it with a working one. Also, it seems to affect /all/ certs, even for things like exchange. Even installing the exchange certs (and website certs) they continue to throw the errors. I'm still wondering if it has something to do with the fact I've imaged the laptop from a satellite location and not the main location.

I figured this wasn't going to be something easy to fix without direct access to the network.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
Quick and potentially silly question:

Since dedupe on Windows Server requires NTFS and will not work on REFS, can you get around this by hosting an NTFS-formatted VHD on a REFS volume? This way you could do dedupe within the VHD, and still benefit from mirroring and data healing provided by REFS.

I tried it (on Windows 10) and it seemed to work fine, but I don't know if something is bound to bite me in the rear end in production. Any thoughts?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Trying to make automated OS refreshes work in a strict 802.1x environment is a gigantic pain in the rear end :shepicide:

It doesn't help that our network engineer is out the door in 2 weeks and gives zero fucks about pending deadlines.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Hi Jinx posted:

Quick and potentially silly question:

Since dedupe on Windows Server requires NTFS and will not work on REFS, can you get around this by hosting an NTFS-formatted VHD on a REFS volume? This way you could do dedupe within the VHD, and still benefit from mirroring and data healing provided by REFS.

I tried it (on Windows 10) and it seemed to work fine, but I don't know if something is bound to bite me in the rear end in production. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised if it took a significant iops hit. ReFS is designed to be the go-to file system for hyper-v especially after what they're doing to it in 2016.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Have any of you ever used the MAP Toolkit to inventory VMware environments? It supposedly does it but I'm not sure how. It doesn't require SSH to the hosts, but I don't see how it could gather the data out of the vCentre server.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It pulls from an api in vcenter.

e: same one that things like veeam uses.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 2, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well cool. Thanks!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
HP's Device Manager is so good and easy to use. I remotely captured a gold image and then deployed it to 5 devices like nothing. The only thing I really noticed was missing was multicast for pushing the images. Why did I ever put myself through SCCM for imaging.

Is it normal for thin clients with an embedded version of Windows to come with Windows Update locked down stock from the OEM? I thought it was weird at first but I guess it makes sense with the write filter preventing anything from ever changing anyway. I called HP about it and the guy told me HP strongly recommends to leave WU off and if you allow Windows Updates to Windows 8 Embedded it stops being an embedded version and somehow becomes a full OS, I've never heard of anything like that before and I know we have Embedded POS editions with WU and nothing weird happening. Is W8E special regarding this or was the guy just full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Funny, I've been setting up HP device manager for our potential thin client deployment and I've found it chock full of sharp edges :D