Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
I am looking for a solution to PXE boot common discs that we use such as:

• Zenworks imaging disc
  • Windows XP disc
  • Dell Server Build discs
  • Any random ISO file I have so I don't have to burn a copy, not label it and lose it each time.

I have WDS configured and deploying Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 discs via PXE (because they contain the *.wim files), but I haven't been able to connect the dots to just loading up a simple ISO and PXE boot it through WDS. I have been trying to get a simple Memtest boot disc imported in for starters.

Am I missing something here? Is it easier to just run tftpd32 and call it a day?

What is a better way to run the two side by side and not have to give them different ports to distinguish them?

I fear I am making this way harder than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

TheRife posted:

Do you have any recommendations on what to use for my remote assistance needs?

I can chime in from the "poor school district" angle for remote support. Here is something that I have worked up that is shockingly simple and has been really effective for our needs:

Option 1: UltraVNC Single Click (SC)

I took an hour one day and followed the UltraVNC Single Click instructions to customize a remote help application for our district: http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html

Called it remotehelp.exe. Put this out in a common mapped drive that all of our staff and faculty have on their machines. The only kicker is that you have to set a static address on the workstations that will provide the remote help and it only works on the internal network. But you just list all your "technicians" in the UltraVNC config file and then the end user can connect to whomever they are speaking with.

Once you get all your files together you zip it and run it through this site to get your finished exe file: http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/sc/creator.html
Then it is invite only (the user has to run remotehelp.exe) and we have direct access to their pc, plus have file transfer abilities and can lock the mouse/keyboard/screen while we are working so we aren't wrestling the cursor away the whole time.

Option 2: Deploy UltraVNC to all workstations

Just the opposite, however with UltraVNC you can have it check against your Active Directory so you can limit who can connect in. When the user calls and has a problem, we ask them to hover over their eyeball (VNC icon) so we can get the machine name or IP address. Pretty easy. And the price is right to match.

I have used Kaseya and Logmein and they are awesome products but I really don't miss too much of their functionality compared to this solution. I'm just referring to the remote support functionality, not software updates, etc

johnnyonetime fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 17, 2011

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Help me Goons,

I'm doing an upgrade in an environment by ripping out their Windows Server 2000 and Windows 2000/XP infrastructure and replacing it with Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thanks to this thread I've got a functioning deployment server setup doling out Windows 7 Lite Touch installs with a press of F12 and nothing more.

However I'm running into a problem pulling over the old profiles/data from the previous servers. Right now I am creating the new users in AD and setting up their profiles. After their profile is created and populated I go back and paste in the files from their old Win 2000 profiles.

I've got about 100 users so it's not impossible, it's just a lot of manual point and click and I figure there's an easier way.

I read some papers on USMT 4.0 but I couldn't get it functioning. The only way it would work is if I called up the USMT script from the MDT2010 and it would drop the files into the migration folder on the server and error out. Then it would die when I tried to manually run a LoadState after the machine was imaged. I was running out of time so I started doing it manually.

Is USMT what I need to use? Is there a good howto video out there? The MDT2010 video that was posted a few pages back was excellent.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

quackquackquack posted:

USMT is an amazing tool, but it can take some time to set up properly, or at least it did with version 3.

Is the 2008 R2 domain a completely new domain, I assume?

Yes it's a completely new domain. The Windows 2000 server had a strange naming scheme so I setup a brand new forest name.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Swink posted:
Is anyone deploying Win8.1 via MDT

Why would anyone want to do such a thing?

If imaging Win 8.1 using MDT is wrong I don't wanna be right...

We do zero-touch imaging with MBAM on the devices and it works a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Swink posted:

Can you show me how you partition the disk for the recovery partition + OSDisk? Even just the xml would start me in the right direction.

Bitlocker doesn't even need to be part of the LTI, just as long as the requirements for bitlocker are met.

So we installed Bitlocker per the instructions, loaded the Bitlocker MOF files into SCCM to get the hardware inventory reporting and set variables to enable/disable Bitlocker on the Task Sequence during the image/reimage. It's just a straight 100% partition on the disk. Once the computer completes imaging it gets added to the domain and a group policy actually turns on the encrypting portion, escrows the recovery key and encrypts the drive while booted into Windows. You can't cancel/stop it and if you restart the computer while it's going it just picks up as soon as Windows is loaded again. Note: This happens after the computer is imaged and finished out of OSD. I guess you could call it post-provisioning for Bitlocker.

Here's a great article on how to encrypt the drive during OSD. After thinking about it I think this might be what you are asking for:
http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/...nager-2012-sp1/

The other hurdle is you need to make sure your devices have TPM chips on them and are cleared and activated in the BIOS before trying this. Otherwise the bitlocker recovery key won't get escrowed in AD and you will be frustrated.

johnnyonetime fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 22, 2015