Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
We have an awesome GPO thread, a virtualization thread, Cisco thread and a few others, does anyone think perhaps a Windows Server Network Admin Megathread is called for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

FISHMANPET posted:

I made this thread with the intention of it turning into something like this

The good thing about the general megathread format is the whole bunch of links at the top and a good number of people see the megathread name and know that's the good generic place to go.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
There doesn't seem to be a backup thread or a baby enterprise (SMB) thread so I'll ask here.

Does anyone have any experience thoughts on any cloud backup solutions for 6 windows servers (with Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, and lots of poorly organized files) which total about 600-1000 GB of data?

Currently we use backup exec to NAS then from NAS to Portable hard drive.

I'm not really up on the cloud solutions, but my ideal would be something that went offsite and to a local NAS that was managed by whoever ran it because even dealing with our local contract IT team about backup exec tries my patience.

I'm looking at eVault which seems kind of nice, perhaps with their recovery site option as well, along with an onsite appliance version of the system.

I'd really like to not renew my backup exec license because I hate it with a passion, but I'm also open to other suggestions and am looking at biting the bullet and buying a single LTO-5 drive and popping it in an old server to store backups on.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
I have a server 2012 vm that throws a bunch of weird errors in the windows event log when the unitrends backup box tells vcenter 5.5 to take a snapshot so it can do a backup of the VM.

See below for the errors.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...ernalId=2006849

Basically the fix seems to be to migrate the disks from MBR to GPT. If it wasn't a pretty non standard server and we hadn't already eaten a bunch of consultant time doing the install of the LOB tools I'd just nuke and start over. Since it's a sql server it has two virtual disks on the system drive is on RAID1 and the DB drive RAID 10 both internal sas 10K drives.

It looks like I could take a bare metal backup of the server using the unitrends box and restore it to GPT disks using the unitrends unit or I could pick up the server version of this partition tool http://www.disk-partition.com/compare-edition.html (server ed)

I have no problem dropping $ 140 on the tool because doing it automated is much cheaper than wasting a bunch of time. I just want to make sure that it's not something that will lead to poo poo later down the line. FWIW the VMDK's are thick provisioned eager zeroed.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
With regards to my earlier question is it possible to convert a windows server 2012 vm (ESX 5.5) with an MBR boot volume to a GPT boot volume?