Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Wow, thanks Ricoh, your drivers suck. The Dell provided driver extracts to... another executable, and that doesn't extract to anything. So I guess no INF for SCCM to push out.
:ughh:

Are you sure? One of the best tools I ever had for setting up SCCM "anything" was UniExtract. Universal Extractor. Just right click any installation .exe (or virtually any archive at all) and choose "Extract here". Viola, you have all the files you need without the stupid Temp folder hunting bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Dyscrasia posted:

I would love a better way to go about this too. I have just been doing GPO push installs for Reader, Flash and Java.

I'm not sure I understand why SCCM would not be appropriate. You would set up primary site in each customers domain and go from there. SCCM itself isn't that expensive and the client licenses can be had real cheap if you buy a shitload at once from MS...

I'd be doing a real CAPEX if I were in your shoes instead of asking on the net but I know accounting isn't particularly exciting... I find a lot of techs say things like this with confidence but haven't done anything but have some vague thoughts about the matter - doing some sums on paper can actually surprise you sometimes!

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Yeah SCCM will do that but it all comes down to the settings you have set. Once it thinks the advertisement ran and was successful, it will stop attempting to do it. You need to click the "Force" tickbox in the advertisement to have it rerun.

Also if you haven't already done it or realised, using the inbuild collections for advertisements is foolish at best, and can cause huge headaches at worst.

Create collections that take their membership information from an AD security group. Now, remove anyone but senior admin access to SCCM, and for anyone that wants Firefox deployed to a particular machine tell them to make that computer a member of the Firefox security group. User left and PC needs zeroing? Remove computer object's membership to everything, easy. Take this idea to it's conclusion, this is just the start.

In your dev env you can have SCCM doing an AD discovery every 5 minutes. In Prod it depends on your prod environment but I would still have it fairly often (once every hour or two?).

Muslim Wookie fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 27, 2010

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I use security groups with SCCM because we tend to attach licenses to usernames. This also means one user can jump onto another computer and install all their "usual" suite of software. I usually put in some mechanism to prevent users using software that's installed that they aren't cleared for.

If everyone in a department used the exact same set up then I might go for the collections only method.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
For option number 2 download Hyena and use that - it will make life a lot easier.

For option number 1, you can use Hyena or you can use the inbuilt SCCM reports, either option will need some customisation ie scripting.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Noel posted:

Use "Apply Driver Package" instead of "Auto Apply Drivers". Better to have control over what is happening.

I think SCCM should just handle the driver package location in the same way it does for other packages. That did seem a bit strange. I have not seen your issue with drivers sticking around forever after they are deleted. It just disappears from the driver package for me, and when I tell the driver package to update, it's no longer there, either.

I was unable to find a way to rename advertisements. I agree, it is annoying. I try and make a Task Sequence for just about everything I deploy. It gives the end user a pretty window to look at without having to allow interaction with the program installer. It allows me to name it whatever I wants.

Just an addendum to that - a task sequence works well for practically everything but you should only use it for those packages you can't install silently. And if you really want to get into things then you can look at repackaging any installers that won't do silent installs.

On that note if you're a coder and you don't allow silent installs you can go get hosed you egocentric prick.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I'll be honest, and excuse me for contradicting someone that is obviously very knowledgeable, but that Java install for x86 is way to complicated when you can simply UniExtract the downloaded installer and run the MSI within it.

If you're using SCCM you just put the extracted files into a package and deploy it, telling it to run the MSI. It's really as simple as that. Across architecture doesn't change.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
OK fair enough. I'm not going to outright pan you like someone on SA might usually do so, all aggressive for an internet thrill - I'll just say that I've never had an issue deploying in the same exact situation you are talking about.

Further, if I did I would simply repackage the product, using whatever tools that particular rear end in a top hat client site has available to me. Wise packaging tools? gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUU but I'll make it work. Anything else, gently caress you Sun, but I'll make it work.

Actually to be brutally honest I'm just crazy jealous of the Kaseya guy - simply because he's described a solution I wouldn't even know how to go about discovering. How embarrassing, I think it's time I ended my CJ days and moved into management :(

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Noel posted:

I used the ZTIWindowsUpdate script (part of MDT2008, have not used 2010), which was nice because it essentially hammered the WSUS until you were fully updated. Sure, the imaging took longer, but you skipping having people complain about all the updates that needed to be run once they got their new computer.

Currently I use SCCM, and it annoys me that there is not a simple option to do this, they assume you will tie SCCM into WSUS. The annoyance level of updates post image is moving this issue up my list of things to take care of.

I don't understand:

1) Why wouldn't you tie it in?

2) And that script is the same as SCCM installing all the updates during imaging - how come one is acceptable and the other is not to you?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Well you've still got it around arse backwards...

You don't install the SCCM "role" on the WSUS server, you install SCCM on a server, and then you install WSUS, and SCCM controls WSUS from that point forward.

Further, setting up WSUS is like, 10 minutes work. It has basically no impact on server load, and setting it to be a downstream server would be easy as pie, just point it at the upstream IP address.

Just go ahead and do it! What's the worst that can happen? "Oh no you've improved our systems and made everything better, you're fired!!!"

(Don't answer that :P)

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Noel posted:

If it makes it easier, let's agree that the Software Update Point (SUP) site role and WSUS have to be installed on the same machine. So either I get to install SUP on the existing WSUS (not going to happen), or I set up a downstream on my existing SCCM server.

You seem to be missing the fact that my hesitance is not what is stopping this from happening. I stupidly asked my boss about installing WSUS, and got a no. I should have just done it and not told anyone.

Oh yeah I did totally not click on that. If I wasn't such a strong fan of ITIL these days I would be doing things without telling them just because I know they'll work. I feel for you bud :(

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Noel posted:

In order:

- Use a Task Sequence to create a... sequence of tasks. It is in the OSD part of the console, but can be used outside of OSD. So you would advertise a TS that, if 2007 is installed, uninstalls it, then installs 2010. If 2007 is not installed, it skips the uninstall and goes right to installing 2010.

- Again, use Task Sequences. The first step is a restart (make sure you play with the countdown timers...), then do what else you need.

- SCCM, in my opinion, handles software updates poorly. To answer your question, the delivery method (SCCM or GP Software Installation) does not matter, it depends what the msi/exe you are running does.
As for why I think SCCM is a poor choice for software updates in most environments (I assume we are talking desktops/laptops and not servers) is that it's an uncontrolled environment. GP Software Installation at least happens on startup, so it doesn't matter that Dreamweaver CS4 freaks out that firefox is open when it is installed.
Our users are currently running updates themselves (local admins, yadda yadda), and when we investigated using SCCM to perform the updates we decided it just wasn't going to work, and we're going to use GP Software Installation instead.

I have to disagree, in the last place I setup SCCM about a dozen departments climbed on the "This is just an excuse to take away our admin rights and it won't work right and the four horsemen..." train.

I just set all updating and installations to occur at 3am, waking the PC itself and then shutting it down once it's complete. I personally find GP terrible for software deployment, but most instinctually than for any technical reason.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Noel posted:

I'm not quite sure how these things are related. SCCM itself seems to be scarier in terms of "oh no they're taking away my local admin".

Because the only reason they were ever able to keep a hold of local admin rights was for installing software, because they undermanned the IT department so much that it took legitimately too long for anyone to get to them to get their poo poo installed. Of course, they wanted local admin for far more than installing Acrobat updates, Oracle suites or anything work related, but the work related issues were what got it over the line for exec. We actively had people trying to sabotage SCCM to prove they needed to keep local admin. I wish I was making this poo poo up.

Noel posted:

I'm not a huge fan of GP software installation either, but for certain things like updates to flash, java, adobe reader, it makes sense to me, to avoid issues with running software when the update happens.

We are not just a 9-5 environment, and many people remote desktop into their computers from home (I'm working on roaming profiles plus a terminal server, but that's not something to rush), or they are required to lock their laptops in a drawer at night. Every environment is different, of course, I'm not implying the way I do things is gospel.

However, I will stand by Task Sequences being a better way to do things in a lot of cases. With a TS (as compared to a script) you get better error reporting, it's easy to chain things together, and if you use "Run Advertised Software", you can have the Task Sequence show a progress bar (albeit one that counts 'progress' as "number of steps completed").

So that would be my tip: Task Sequences make a lot of things easier. FISHMANPET stole my other biggest tip.

I considered this issue at the time and solved it two different ways. One was to write a quick script that simply locked user input out and terminated the relevant process and then did the install and the other was I set the advertisement to only run if there was no user logged in, and if there was a user logged in at the install time it would wait until the first moment someone had logged off.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

quackquackquack posted:

You can control notifications on a per-advertisement basis.

Also, in 'Run Advertised Programs' my task sequences that are for software distribution are listed as such, and not under the OSD category.

I point it out not to call you on it, but because task sequences have made a whole hell of a lot of things easier for me, and I feel like their poor location in the console has left them overlooked and underused.

Delay the shutdown until the program is finished installing.

Installing Photoshop CS4 while someone is logged on is fine, unless they have any internet browser, any other Adobe product, or any of the Office components open. At least Photoshop just errors out in that case, Adobe Pro will reboot the computer in some cases. Surprise!

Telling people to log off at certain times never seems to work around here. That was why I was hoping either "when nobody is logged on" (happening when someone shuts down their computer, in the period between logging off and actual shutdown), or "at logoff" would work (in the same fashion). Just some way to install software when the user is not logged on, but that doesn't require the user to explicitly log off. I realize a policy decision would be the better approach (have everyone log off at the end of the day or similar), but I've barked up that tree to no avail.

So maybe you or someone else had some questions on how I do this but I'm so rushed I have to drive by answer this, in the task sequence its easy as pie to have it run a script that evaluates "user logged in? yes/maybe" and logs off the user OR any action you want like maybe halting the task sequence with a failed flag and you can then set the task sequence to retry after failures on a schedule if i remember correctly

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
lol internet., as frustrating as all that sounds I just have to point out that in these matters, users never "just somehow have the TS available to them".

I might end up proven wrong but SCCM doesn't muck up like that, it's invariably operator error.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

lol internet. posted:

Gonna be setting up the update portion of SCCM to takeover the WSUS roles.

Any recommended reads/articles?

I don't know your setup but the way I got lauded for my SCCM work was by never loving it up (because I built 2 test environments, one at home, one at work, and did all the changes there first, and made inevitably hundreds of newbie mistakes and ran into undocumented situations in those environments rather than production).

Another thing to consider is if WSUS is working fine, do you *really* need to transfer to SCCM? In my cases it's always been yes because I'm an SCCM whore of the worst kind (I've deployed Linux via SCCM rather than set up Puppet).

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

peak debt posted:

Tip of mine: Unless you have a setup with a lot of branch offices, don't bother using SCCM for Updates. The one nice thing about it is that you can have the distribution points architecture create a lot of local update servers so you don't overload the VPN whenever a patch day comes.
The downsides are that authorizing new updates in SCCM is a lot more cumbersome, and the reporting is at best almost as good as WSUS, in some points it is actually quite a bit worse.

This what I was trying to get at. Don't do it unless you actually have to. And for branch office distribution points, you could always just roll a downstream WSUS server.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
To quote someone in the Rant thread:

"Sir, it seems that you already know the answer to your problem. I suggest you try to fix your issue in the manner that you have described. Thank you and have a nice day."

Are you SURE it's not the VM? What happens with 2k8 on the P4 shitbox? Slow or snappy?

I've not seen this behaviour in any of my 2k8 terminal servers, VMWare VMs.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

mute posted:

Get multiple quotes, aggressively play them against each other.

This. And don't feel bad about it. You're a guppy in a shark pond. Take every advantage you can get over the sales sharks.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Guys, I'm thinking of deploying SCCM into a server only environment, for quick deployment of new servers and being able to roll "Application ABC" server at a moments notice to add into the load etc. Reporting would be a big plus too.

Do you think it's too much? Am I being biased simply because I like SCCM? I find the effort to roll out a SCCM install fairly minimal, build the server and off you go... Packaging software isn't a big deal, inhouse made apps can be either developed into MSIs or if the devs are lazy, Powershell scripts to "install" them...

Am I making a huge mistake? I keep having this nagging feeling that I'm putting a nail into my careers coffin at this place if I do it.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

quackquackquack posted:

How many servers? What are you currently using to deploy servers and software? Is this a vSphere environment? Are you the only person who needs to use it?

~300, growing steadily. Currently merely installing manually from ISO. Roger that on vSphere. I have many, many devs.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

quackquackquack posted:

What about using templates?

With that many servers, depending what you need to do with them, and whether you have an existing inventory infrastructure, I could definitely see SCCM being useful. However, I use it exclusively with non-servers, so my opinion is only so useful in your case.

Also, will the other devs take to using it?

Dev's won't "use" it beyond their personal dev VMs which I'd leave the "image" advertised to permanently and allowed to be started off by any user.

I haven't really researched templates for Windows VMs, but I'd still have to join to the domain, log in, set IP, etc etc. I'm pretty confident with SCCM I can have it ask me all the settings up front with OSD variables so it's pretty much fire and forget.

That's also the advantage of getting things packaged - if it's ever required I can just spin up "Application ABC" OSD and bam, 20 minutes later fully completed server with application installed ready to be put into the load balancer.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

spog posted:

Stupid newbie question regarding KMS:

I understand that you start the KMS service with slmgr.vbs on a suitable server and this handles all the activation of clients with VLKs

What I am unclear about is how this service receives it authentication from MS. i.e. what is the process that happens that allows the KMS to issue activation info to its clients? How does the MS-side of things identify and authenticate this service as one that is allowed to activate clients?

Ummm.... sort of?

You use your KMS key to activate Windows on the KMS server. That's it, KMS server complete. This is why I might pair my KMS server with say, WSUS or something of that nature.

You can use slmgr.vbs too add extra keys into the KMS server so that it can activate OSes other than Server 2008 R2. And if you have a properly configured DNS setup, you practically never actually have to run slmgr.vbs - it's all done automatically.

KMS off the top of my head contacts MS over the net. My memory is hazy on that TBH you should check the Technet article for KMS.

Edit: Here's an OK vid: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/dd936199.aspx

Also no VLKs, you need to use these keys: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793406.aspx

But again if you've got a properly connected environment, you won't even need to enter the key, it'll grab the key and activate itself from the KMS server.

Muslim Wookie fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 12, 2011

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

bear shark posted:

When you put your volume key into slmgr, it activates the host and downloads that info from Microsoft. It takes like 2-3 minutes to enter the key because there's all that processing.

Yup. But just to be clear - when you install the OS and during the installation process it asks you for the license key - use the KMS key. If you have to activate Windows 7, then you use slmgr.vbs to add the Windows 7 KMS key in there.

bear shark posted:

Not necessarily, we were using an Enterprise MAK until very recently. Incidentally, our KMS key is listed as being able to activate all Professional and Enterprise editions, but I don't know if that's true of all keys. You have to put in the correct client key for the edition you're running.

I'm not sure what you mean here; if you enter an MAK the server/workstation will attempt to contact MS directly and if it can't you'll have to call the activation line. At no point will a MAK key try to contact the KMS server. You can change a MAK key to a KMS key using slmgr.vbs if you want - but MS still consider the MAK to be "activated" on that PC and you'd need to call them and hope they take your explanation if you ever need to get those MAK activations back. And when I say change MAK into KMS, I mean slmgr.vbs will allow you to enter a new license key at any time replacing the old key.

bear shark posted:

My understanding is that you do so by importing new keys, I'm not sure if it's possible to add new products to an existing key a la carte - I don't think it would be, because Server 2008 R2 is a different class of key from 7, but we haven't tried yet.

You don't add products to existing keys - you add more keys to the KMS server. If you want to visualise it, imagine a the KMS server as a bouncer, the people in the line clients that are trying to activate and the door list is the info you've put into KMS. Every time you add a new key using slmgr.vbs, a new and extra name is appearing on the bouncers list.

The delineation as to what keys can activate what products can be found in the link I've provided with the client KMS keys.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Guys WMI plugin for Cacti, what's good? go go go

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Italy's Chicken posted:

SCCM newbie here. How do you track and keep a history of what users log into which PCs and what IPs they've had? I'm in a situation where staff have moved machines, sometimes to different buildings, and the only way I'm realizing it is pinging the machine's to get the IP which our networking team thankfully setup to have building and floor specific IPs given out by DHCP.

I'm not in the office so I can't give you a step by step, except to say there are multiple fairly straightforward ways to achieve this. My post is more of a question as to why this is important to you?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Looks like it's time for someone to invest in a good VM / thin client solution and quit replacing those things every 3 years.

This is your endpoint right here.

However, you have a better way of identifying the computers... you can have a report run every week/month/year/whatever that spits out all computers that are now older than x time. You have a lot of reliable date fields to choose from! You are definitely looking it at this the wrong way, don't try to follow arbitrary users...

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Hey guys I didn't really get many answers in the Exchange thread, so I'm asking her with the wider audience - anyone have experience with seriously large Exchange mailbox numbers? Looking specifically for overall architecture and annoyances?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

skipdogg posted:

It's hard to give advice without specifics. 100K users in a geographical region would be setup differently than say a global company with a dozen subdomains across 30 countries and 5 continents.

One would also assume that this 100K user organization already has some form of messaging in place that would need to be migrated.

Either way "How do you setup Exchange for 100K users" is a very poor question.

For example, setting up Exchange for the 237,000 employees of the State of California, would be a totally different deployment scenario than say setting up Exchange for a global workforce of 100K like Coca-Cola.

Then you have to dive into poo poo like budget, timeframe, sizing. (example, 100K students at an EDU with 100MB mailbox each and only OWA access would be totally different than sizing for 2GB mailboxes for corporate users with Outlook/Outlook Anywhere)

Way too many variables to even begin to give a good answer.

Totally understand where you are coming from, however I'm actually looking for examples of *any* style of large deployment. I'm fairly confident on how I'd architect it, just looking to see how other organisations do it in many different situations.

To give you an idea though, 2 million plus users, national, soft 2gb quota, ActiveSync, OWA, even geographic spread, pretend migration from old system to new system isn't a concern at all. With regards to AD, it's practically greenfields, with all accounts actually authoritatively held within an OpenLDAP implementation. I have no expectation of using that in the solution however. There is an AD domain that I would be pushing to use.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

What do you guys think about Server Core?

I took another stab at it today after finding out .net 4 was finally worked on it, but my application took a crap and died horribly for unknown reasons. The vendor isn't really sure if they support Server Core so they are looking into it.

I like the approach of a minimal Windows installation and R2 does a better job of letting people manage it who are terrified of CLI.

It's perfect if you develop all your applications internally, you can just ensure they don't use any classes that aren't presented by ServerCore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't know of any customers with it in production for anything that's not MS roles.

I wouldn't be deploying ServerCore for most vendor products, it's not worth the hassle. But for internally developed applications which use IIS as a front end, why not? (rhetorical)