Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

lol internet. posted:

But as I mentioned a couple posts ago.. the remote assistance seems to be broken with windows 7. At least I haven't had luck using it.

It works fine for me. SCCM R3 and Windows 7 Enterprise. The only downside is it will change their aero theme down to the basic theme until you disconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

lol internet. posted:

Ok gotcha. I'm on R2. Did you run into any issues post R3 upgrade?

No. R3 also gives you power management and reporting. Make sure you have sql reporting setup. I still think there's something wrong with your setup though because Win7 and remote tools worked fine in R2 too.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Italy's Chicken posted:

My outfit has budget to replace computers every 3 years. With the installed size we have, this is a full-time job for a couple of people who are constantly looking for the oldest computers and replacing them while trying to keep pace with the 3 year mark. In either situation, it makes the whole 3 year replacement process much more difficult as someone now has to find lost machines.

Looks like it's time for someone to invest in a good VM / thin client solution and quit replacing those things every 3 years.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Got Haggis? posted:

Could use some Goon help

Currently I work in an office where the majority of the office uses linux based thin clients (LTSP). They work fairly well but have the occasional lock up and generally the users hate them because they are used to using either windows or osx at home. Therefore I have been asked with looking into what it would take to convert everyone to windows. oh joy. anyway, I'm much more of a linux person than I am windows - I do have some experience with windows server 2003 and 2008 (and exchange).

what am i looking at for managing peoples computers using windows? I want to be able to have the users machines on total lockdown, not allow the to install any sort of software (and of course do my best to combat the viruses these guys will no doubt install by clicking on things they don't understand). Can all of this be managed through Active Directory and group policies? what should I be looking at for this kind of control? It would also be nice to be able to do things like remote patch management - basically anything that would allow me to manager their computers while not being at their desk.

it was so easy with LTSP clients.....oh well...ugh, not looking forward to this.

Also, since we will be purchasing new computers for this....would you say in the long run it would be cheaper to purchase computers without operating systems, then contact microsoft and get some sort of bulk install of windows? I'll have somewhere between 30-50 desktops.

If you're going to buy entirely new machines you should look into xenapp and vmware. I'm not sure what your price range is but we've found it substantially cheaper to deploy thin wyse xenith terminals and pair it with citrix xenapp on beefy servers.

What kind of terminals are you using right now?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Cpt.Wacky posted:

so all I need from imaging is a quick way to get the base OS installed with the right drivers.

Windows deployment services.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Zero VGS posted:

so we said gently caress it and changed all 150 clients to Static IP's and carry a spreadsheet now.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Force a client update and check the log file? Did you create a distribution point? gently caress I hate SCCM for updates. WSUS for life.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anyone know when SCCM 12 is coming out of beta?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

FISHMANPET posted:

I actually know a fair amount about this stuff, I just seem to be coming off like an idiot in this thread for some reason.

who woulda thunk it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Couldn't you just move that to some cheap dell storage or something? I hope that kind of poo poo isn't wasting space on a netapp or emc.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So I'm getting annoyed with SCCM2012. I've turned a server into a software update point. Synchronized all my updates, changed group policy so everyone points to the sccm WSUS server and waited. Things started to update but they're completely wrong. I'm looking at IE9 deployments and it says that 81 are compliant, 148 not required and 3 required. What's the difference between not required and required? How does it pick up that differential? I know that 148 do not have IE9. What I do???

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I pointed it to the same server that the configmgr sets it to but just for kicks I got rid of it and it didn't change anything. Machines still point to the same location but for example I wanted to deploy IE9 however a bunch of machines with IE8 say they're compliant.

POUR QUIIIIIII

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
???

You need to push your software updates, not just "approve" them like in WSUS. Notification just pops up in the corner saying you have something to update.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I use SCCM remote control it works fine.

http://imgur.com/a/zwVOL

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx

read padiwan

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
We routinely do >8-9TB VMFS with no issues.

Our biggest guest presented LUN for a 2012r2 file server is 9.1TB which also doesn't have any problem.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Love nimble. Have 3 identical to this and it's the best.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Also do multiple vmdk's over 2tb without problems on 5.5U1.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've never done this kind of thing before and I'm studying for the MCSA exam, does this sound like a reasonable upgrade path?

Current setup is SiteA-DC01, SiteA-DC02, SiteB-DC01, SiteB-DC02. All 2003 virtual machines.

I'm thinking of spinning up 4 2012R2 server core machines.
Take snapshots of SiteA-DC01 and SiteB-DC01, place SiteA-DC02 and SiteB-DC02 on an isolated virtual switch. If something goes really wrong, we can use them to bring everything back.
I'll add two 2012 machines to replace the DC02's. They'll be added using the AD account for the old ones and get the same IP addresses.
Next, install AD DS services and DNS. This should extend the schema to 2012R2, but won't upgrade the functional level, not sure what the difference is.
Make SiteA-DC02 the Primary Domain Controller. I'm not sure how Schema masters, etc. work.
Shut down the DC01's. Now all online Domain Controllers are 2012R2's running at the 2003 level (with a 2012R2 schema?)
Raise the functional level to 2012R2.
Join the other two 2012R2 servers to the domain to replace the old ones.

Am I on the right track?

Never snapshot a 2003 2008 domain controller.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Thanks Ants posted:

2008 R2 was already a really nice OS and I wouldn't be clamouring to get away from it any time soon.

heh...heheheh...hehehhehehehehehe

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
2012R2 is pretty amazing. From improved DFS, dhcp clustering, file server clustering massive improvements, powershell and more there is absolutely no reason not to be using 2012r2 unless your app is crap and doesn't support it. The reasoning "most of the guys aren't familiar" is pretty poo poo considering it was released 1.5 years ago and 2012 2.5 years ago. Time to get the gently caress going.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

madsushi posted:

Yeah, that's what it felt like. I also checked to make sure the kerberos ticket sizes weren't too big / too many groups, and that isn't the case.

If you do a gpresult /R does the group show up?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
http://software.dell.com/products/password-manager/

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Solarwinds SAM

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Best pc inventory / patch management / software deployment / upgrade software out there these days? ~200 ish devices.

Will want to integrate it into some workflow software of some kind, self serving software installs, HelpDesk, that sort of thing.

Still sccm?

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 8, 2021

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Get rid of AD DNS and move to a real platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://infoblox.com

https://bluecatnetworks.com