Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kerafyrm posted:

I will warn you - some of the non-lighted covers are causing issues. It was causing my Kindle to constantly reboot itself (and lose information, such as the last place I was at in the book and my collection folders) about once an hour or so. I did some research, removed the case, and it's never self-rebooted again.

I spoke to Amazon customer support and got a refund and ordered the lighted case, which doesn't cause those issues.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

IRQ posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how is that even possible?

The lighted cover is powered by the K3's battery and the connection is made through the case latch, some people are getting odd reboot problems with the non-lighted case possibly because the latch is conductive but not hooked up to a light.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ahh, I didn't know those little holes were connected to anything.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

maxnmona posted:

I dunno, here's wikipedia:

"The most common English translation was originally published in 1846 by Chapman and Hall. Most unabridged English editions of the novel, including the Modern Library and Oxford World's Classics editions, use this translation, although Penguin Classics published a new translation by Robin Buss in 1996. Buss' translation updated the language, is more accessible to modern readers, and restored content that was modified in the 1846 translation due to Victorian English social restrictions (for example, references to Eugénie's lesbian traits and behavior) to Dumas' actual publication."

So any free or super cheap version is using the 1846 censored translation. I dunno exactly what all the cuts were, but I can tell you that the Buss translation is fantastic reading.

Eugenie's lesbianism is extremely obvious and referenced in the version I've read verily (and I was pretty taken aback at how blasé it is discussed considering the time period), as is all the drug references. So with that said, this version is a great unabridged version: http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cristo-ebook/dp/B002RI9KL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS&s=digital-text&qid=1293610428&sr=1-1, like I linked to before. You won't be disappointed :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Kerafyrm posted:

I will warn you - some of the non-lighted covers are causing issues. It was causing my Kindle to constantly reboot itself (and lose information, such as the last place I was at in the book and my collection folders) about once an hour or so. I did some research, removed the case, and it's never self-rebooted again.

I spoke to Amazon customer support and got a refund and ordered the lighted case, which doesn't cause those issues.

That is really odd and must be either a new thing or exclusive to the 6"; my Kindle DX's cover has never caused a single issue in the year and a half I've had it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fire In The Disco posted:

That is really odd and must be either a new thing or exclusive to the 6"; my Kindle DX's cover has never caused a single issue in the year and a half I've had it.

I don't know about that either, maybe it was just an early version of the cover that maybe had metal clasps or something, but mine has 100% plastic clasps so there's no way it could possibly short out the Kindle.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

On The Count of Monte Cristo, I believe the Feedbooks version is the unabridged 1846 translation. The Robin Buss translation definitely reads better to modern eyes but loses a little of the ye olde worlde booke charm. Minor quibles either way, both are fantastic reads and highly recommended.

The Three Musketeers books also kick all sorts of rear end.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

IRQ posted:

I don't know about that either, maybe it was just an early version of the cover that maybe had metal clasps or something, but mine has 100% plastic clasps so there's no way it could possibly short out the Kindle.

It's a problem with the new Kindle 3 covers.

Also, mine had black painted metal clasps and I just bought it a couple of weeks ago, so I have no idea. I do know that it's a small percentage of the covers that cause the problem.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You can now loan Kindle books if the publisher allows it. You don't need a kindle to read the book, you can use the PC or Iphone ap instead.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200549320_find?nodeId=200549320

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My new christmas kindle was doing the same thing. If the kindle is in the case, it will freeze or reboot randomly, which also loses my place in a book. If I take it out of the case and use it, I have no problems at all.

Amazon customer support gave me a promotional credit to get the lighted case so I assume it's something that they are well aware of.

As a note, my clasps are also black painted metal.

Other than these issues, I love my kindle and am glad I finally chose it over the nook. (sorry B & N, I still love you)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

My new christmas kindle was doing the same thing. If the kindle is in the case, it will freeze or reboot randomly, which also loses my place in a book. If I take it out of the case and use it, I have no problems at all.

Amazon customer support gave me a promotional credit to get the lighted case so I assume it's something that they are well aware of.

Other than these issues, I love my kindle and am glad I finally chose it over the nook. (sorry B & N, I still love you)

Huh. Mine does this too, and I noticed the clasps in my unlit case are metal. I suppose I should give Amazon a buzz and they'll hook me up with a free lit case?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
You really should do that, that would drive me insane. I have the lighted case and have had no problems with it attached or unattached. Losing bookmarks would suck too, and if I lost my highlights I would rage at Amazon.

Dave Angel posted:

On The Count of Monte Cristo, I believe the Feedbooks version is the unabridged 1846 translation. The Robin Buss translation definitely reads better to modern eyes but loses a little of the ye olde worlde booke charm. Minor quibles either way, both are fantastic reads and highly recommended.

The Three Musketeers books also kick all sorts of rear end.

The 1846 English (Victorian) translation is edited because the Victorians were prudes. Also the ye olde english language was added because Victorians liked the Shakespearean melodramatic effect. So I'd definitely go with the Robin Buss translation.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

maxnmona posted:

With non-English books, it's better to splurge and get the version that costs actual money. When you get the free one, you're getting whatever translation they could find, which can often be of poor quality or very dated. For instance, in this case, even if you get the unabriged version of the old translation, it still cut all references to drugs and sex from the story (we're talking cutting entire scenes here).

Do you know if there are any particularly good Kindle-available Dostoevsky translations and if they're much better than the free ones?

Edit: Also, why do there appear to be two Kindle versions of the Buss translation of Monte Cristo but one is $.99 and the other is $12.99?

I guess the $.99 doesn't say it's Buss but it says Latest Edition 2010 and it's the same cover.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 4, 2011

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

z0331 posted:

Do you know if there are any particularly good Kindle-available Dostoevsky translations and if they're much better than the free ones?

Edit: Also, why do there appear to be two Kindle versions of the Buss translation of Monte Cristo but one is $.99 and the other is $12.99?

I guess the $.99 doesn't say it's Buss but it says Latest Edition 2010 and it's the same cover.

Uh, look again at those covers.

One is the Project Gutenberg version, one is the new Penguin translation.

edit: and I'm no expert on translations, but, as I understand it, with anything Russian you basically always want to go with the Pevear and Volokhonsky version.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

maxnmona posted:

Uh, look again at those covers.

One is the Project Gutenberg version, one is the new Penguin translation.

Sorry, I'm retarded/blind. I think my eyes took in the black bar at the bottom of each and assumed they were the same.

Thanks for the translator advice.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

z0331 posted:

I love this translation of Karamazov (Andrew MacAndrew). Just don't read any Constance Garnett translations for anything and you should be all right.

edit: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~karamazo/translations.html

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I've had my Kindle 3 for about two weeks, and I am tearing through books. Not having page numbers just allows me to keep reading, and reading, and reading. Since I've had it I finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and both Neverwhere and Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. About to tear through Blood Meridian based on the thread's response to it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

Ughhhh....almost like I summoned the problem by acknowledging that it had happened, my Kindle has started freezing and rebooting constantly. I removed the case.

How do I go about initiating the process as smoothly and as quickly as possible? The amazon discussions seem to indicate a lot of back and forth. I just want a replacement cover that doesn't cause my kindle to freeze. :(

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My Kindle 3 just arrived today and I'm loving it so far. I'd bought a book (Post Office by Charles Bukowski) before it arrived so I'd have something to immediately jump into. I read a couple chapters on Kindle for PC before it got here and was (I thought) about 30% finished with the book. When I opened up the book on my Kindle and picked up where I'd left off, I read from 30% to 50%. However, once I got to 50%, the book was over. What followed after the end of the book was the exact same book again. Needless to say, it was a little off-putting to jump from thinking I was only halfway done to actually being done with it in the span of a second.

Looking at the file in Kindle for PC, it seems to be two identical copies of the book joined back to back.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with this particular book or if this is a common issue? Any tips so this doesn't happen again? I know it's not a huge deal, but I'd like to have a more accurate idea of how far along I am in a particular book. Any input is appreciated.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Lester Shy posted:

My Kindle 3 just arrived today and I'm loving it so far. I'd bought a book (Post Office by Charles Bukowski) before it arrived so I'd have something to immediately jump into. I read a couple chapters on Kindle for PC before it got here and was (I thought) about 30% finished with the book. When I opened up the book on my Kindle and picked up where I'd left off, I read from 30% to 50%. However, once I got to 50%, the book was over. What followed after the end of the book was the exact same book again. Needless to say, it was a little off-putting to jump from thinking I was only halfway done to actually being done with it in the span of a second.

Looking at the file in Kindle for PC, it seems to be two identical copies of the book joined back to back.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with this particular book or if this is a common issue? Any tips so this doesn't happen again? I know it's not a huge deal, but I'd like to have a more accurate idea of how far along I am in a particular book. Any input is appreciated.

Never had this happen before and the only time the % numbers are seemingly off is when there are footnotes or references and the last 10% of enjoyment is cut down to 5 or 6%. Don't have that particular book but I've read 70+ on my kindle2.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lester Shy posted:

I haven't had that happen in about a dozen books, but I haven't bought any books from Amazon either.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Welp. My Kindle 3G screen already broke, less than a month after purchasing it. From my reading of the amazon forums this is not an uncommon problem. I didn't do anything untoward to the thing, I never dropped it or anything, but between work and coming home it no longer displays anything on the top half of the display. I'm sure Amazon will replace it, but it's pretty uncool if they're as prone to failure as their forums suggest.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Velius posted:

Welp. My Kindle 3G screen already broke, less than a month after purchasing it. From my reading of the amazon forums this is not an uncommon problem. I didn't do anything untoward to the thing, I never dropped it or anything, but between work and coming home it no longer displays anything on the top half of the display. I'm sure Amazon will replace it, but it's pretty uncool if they're as prone to failure as their forums suggest.

Mine broke last night in the exact same way, also without apparent cause. Interesting...

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

maxnmona posted:

Mine broke last night in the exact same way, also without apparent cause. Interesting...

kinda sucks to see all these quality problems on the new generation. My kindle 2 is seriously built like a tank and my idea of a cover for a day in a backpack around campus is sticking it in a national geographic.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Yeah I haven't had a single issue with my Kindle DX and I'm not very gentle with it (plus I have a baby who is really good at grabbing everything I try to keep away from her). It sucks to see that the newer ones might not be as strong.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just installed the software update from here and no freezes so far.

For the record, my Kindle was freezing every time I put it to sleep. It was getting reaaaalllly annoying losing my bookmark every time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

maxnmona posted:

Do you dudes have a case? Apparently eink is not very tough if it's just getting tossed around.

I guess maybe I'm lucky I do the majority of my reading at home, but Amazon is notorious for great customer service so you should be good.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I have a kindle 3 with a light case and it acts and looks like new, and I get no freezing issues. Maybe it's just bad luck and got knocked the wrong way.

I could understand it being fragile without the case though, it's so tiny.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The 1846 English (Victorian) translation is edited because the Victorians were prudes. Also the ye olde english language was added because Victorians liked the Shakespearean melodramatic effect. So I'd definitely go with the Robin Buss translation.

I've seen this claimed but, having read both, beyond the choice of language employed I've found the content of the feedbooks version to be equivalent to the Buss translation. Are there any examples of where this editing has occurred?

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I have a kindle 3 with a light case and it acts and looks like new, and I get no freezing issues. Maybe it's just bad luck and got knocked the wrong way.

I could understand it being fragile without the case though, it's so tiny.
The TV advert where they're throwing it around and putting it into their pockets without any protection makes me wince. :ohdear:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

Do you dudes have a case? Apparently eink is not very tough if it's just getting tossed around.

I guess maybe I'm lucky I do the majority of my reading at home, but Amazon is notorious for great customer service so you should be good.

Yep, I had mine in the official amazon cover. Top quarter or so of the screen is just done. No idea what happened. Should be getting my replacement today though.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Dave Angel posted:

I've seen this claimed but, having read both, beyond the choice of language employed I've found the content of the feedbooks version to be equivalent to the Buss translation. Are there any examples of where this editing has occurred?

I dunno, here's what Robin Buss has to say about it in the intro to the new version:

Robin Buss posted:

Anyone who has read The Count of Monte Cristo only in the 'classic version' has never read the novel. For a start, the translation is occasionally inaccurate and is written in nineteenth-century English that now sounds far more antiquated than the French of the original does to a modern French reader: to mention one small point of contention, Dumas uses a good deal of dialogue, and the constant inversions of 'said he' and 'cried he' are both irritating and antiquated. [skipping some more complaints about the inaccuracy of the language] Still less acceptable, however, than the language of this Victorian translation is the huge number of omissions and bowdlerizations of Dumas's text. The latter include part of Franz's opium dream, some of the dialogue between Villefort and Madame Danglers, and several parts of Chapter XCVII.

I'm tired of transcribing this, so let me summarize the rest: most of the dialogue implying lesbianism was significantly rewritten to be way more roundabout. Also, there are several cuts which have nothing to do with sex or drugs and just aren't there. The old translation cuts an entire segment describing Albert and Franz's ride through Rome. A few entire pages of dialogue are missing for no apparent reason, as are several character descriptions.

Essentially, Buss argues, the old translation takes a far more complex novel and simplifies it in an attempt to turn it into a children's book, in the process cutting a lot of the historical references and character moments.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Out of personal interest, I have worked my way through comparing the examples cited in Buss's Note on the Text in the new Count of Monte Cristo translation against the feedbooks version. Disregarding most of the critcism about the archaic language, in almost every case the omissions mentioned are actually present. I presume this is due to Buss using a version currently in print at the time the translation was released (1996) as the basis for drawing comparison rather than a more complete version now available online. On specific points mentioned...

There are some real oddities, like the attempt to convey popular speech (which does not correspond to anything in Dumas), when the sailor in Chapter xxv says: 'that's one of them nabob gentlemen from Ingy [sic], no doubt...'

In the feedbooks version this is: So extreme was the surprise of the sailor, that he was unable even to thank Edmond, whose receding figure he continued to gaze after in speechless astonishment. "Some nabob from India," was his comment.

The latter include part of Franz's opium dream at the end of Chapter xxxi,

The feedbooks version is equivalent in content. If we want to nitpick, the feedbooks version describes the statues as having 'their throats bare' rather than as 'bare-breasted', though in both the statues gently caress him.

some of the dialogue between Villefort and Madame Danglars in Chapter lxvii,

The Buss translation has these extra lines about adultery in the Gospel when Madame Dangler talks about Villefort exaggerating and men being elevated by scandal: 'and that is why the Gospel, that everlasting succour to the unfortunate, has given us poor women as a prop the excellent parable of the sinner and the woman taken in adultery. So, when I consider the follies of my youth, I sometimes think that God will forgive them, because some compensation for them (though not an excuse) is to be found in my sufferings.'

and several parts of Chapter xcvii, on Eugénie and Louise's flight to Belgium

The feedbooks version is equivalent in content.

At the end of Chapter xcvn, the translation (p. 950) simply omits the few lines of dialogue where Dumas has Eugénie say that 'le rapt est bel et bien consomme' — where the word rapt ('abduction') has a rather too overtly sexual connotation.

Another anonymous translation (Dent, 1894) refers to 'the escape' rather than 'the abduction' — which makes nonsense of Louise's reply that it is not a true abduction since it has been accomplished without violence.

The feedbooks version includes the lines: "Yes, my dear, the abduction is an accomplished fact," replied Eugenie.
"Yes, and without violence," said Louise.

Similarly, earlier in the same chapter, where Eugénie jokes that anyone would think she was 'abducting' (enlève) Louise — another word used almost exclusively of a man with a woman - the translator uses the more neutral phrase 'carrying me off' and omits altogether Louise's remark that Eugénie is 'a real Amazon'.

Feedbooks version includes the line: "You are a perfect Amazon, Eugenie!"

At the start of Chapter xxxiv, for example, the translator decides to spare us the description of the route taken through Rome by Albert and Franz on their way to the Colosseum (though the 1894 translator restores it).

The feedbooks version includes the route taken.

A whole paragraph analysing the character of M. de Villefort at the start of Chapter xlviii is cut out;

The feedbooks version contains equivalent paragraphs analysing Villefort's character to those present in the Buss version.

almost a whole page of dialogue between Albert and Monte Cristo, on horses, in Chapter lxxxv is cavalierly omitted (part was restored by the translator of 1894); and so on.

The Buss translation contains these extra details when the count discusses the horses: 'I bought it, I don't know how much it cost; Bertuccio paid for it.'
'this privileged member of the stud had his mares chosen for him, like the favourites of a pasha.'

As the basis for my translation, I have used the edition by Schopp, quoted above, and the three-volume edition in the Livre de Poche (1973). Both of these use an arrangement of chapters which differs slightly from that in the nineteenth-century English translations.

Interestingly, the feedbooks and Buss versions use the same chapter order.

So anyway, on the basis of these comparisons the amount of content restored is actually extremely minor. The feedbooks version also has the advantage of having a nicely formatted edition freely available for your choice of ebook reader. I'd recommend both though, a book this great should be read at least twice.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Is it possible that someone took the old translation and reedited in response to Buss's criticism? That's the only explanation I can think of.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.
I had my Kindle exactly one week when I found that the screen had been damaged. I didn't have a case on it (though I sure did get one immediately) but I still can't figure out how it got broken. Amazon swapped out a new one immediately for no charge, even though it was due to my carelessness that it broke in the first place. Amazon is A+ in the customer service department.

I have the non-lighted Amazon case and I compared it to my brother's lighted case over the break. I really like the non-lighted one better. The one with the light just seems fatter and the strap is closer to the center which looks uglier to me. Also, and this is probably weird, the leather is really nice and I keep sniffing it it just smells so nice and leathery.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

RoboBlaster posted:

Also, and this is probably weird, the leather is really nice and I keep sniffing it it just smells so nice and leathery.

Oh good, it's not just me then :v:

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

RoboBlaster posted:

Also, and this is probably weird, the leather is really nice and I keep sniffing it it just smells so nice and leathery.

Same :3:

I got my kindle for Christmas and am loving every second of it. Still sometimes get the urge to look to the left to see the second page.

I've also been scouring this forum and getting as many books as I can. I wont' be running out for a while.

Which leads me into a question.. How are you guys sorting your books? I have about 5 pages of random books that I have to thumb through. I haven't had a chance to figure out a good method for sorting yet.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Nook and Kindle owners:

Kaplan is offering a bunch of free e-books until Jan 17 (I think).

Amazon's link: http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1294436...3Akaplan&page=1

B&N's link: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com...-_-kaplan_promo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

diapermeat posted:

Same :3:

I got my kindle for Christmas and am loving every second of it. Still sometimes get the urge to look to the left to see the second page.

I've also been scouring this forum and getting as many books as I can. I wont' be running out for a while.

Which leads me into a question.. How are you guys sorting your books? I have about 5 pages of random books that I have to thumb through. I haven't had a chance to figure out a good method for sorting yet.

I create collections by author with a few "genre" folders for books I don't have more than one of from the same author. As well as a generic Books collection that serves for miscellaneous stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I've always been a hold out that I would rather a traditional book, but since I joined the Army and am in AIT I broke down and bought the newest kindle. I have to say that it is probably one of the best things I have purchased, and I love everything about it so far. The only complaint, and it is rather small and nitpicky, is that the screen can lag minutely at some points.

• Locked thread