Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

z0331 posted:

Why are Faulkner and Nabokov (other than Lolita) not available on ebook? :(

I dunno, but the lack of Faulkner in my kindle depresses the poo poo out of me. I mean, I own a number of Faulkner's work already, but it's not the saaaame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

bigmcgaffney posted:

My Kindle arrived today. It is so awesome. I keep hitting the left page forward thinking it is page back since its on the left, but I'll get used to it. So sleek and sexy. Yeah.

I've had the same problem and I've had it for a week. :shobon:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Weinertron posted:

What do you guys do when the Kindle edition of a book costs more than hardback? I've had my Kindle for a month and I REALLY love the platform and I've been blazing through stuff on it, but I really have a huge psychological barrier telling me not to pay more than a loving hardcover for a 700kb file.

I'd buy the physical copy then, poo poo. It is not worth paying more than $10 for any loving ebook.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ziir posted:

I've been reading a lot lately on my iPhone and I'm thinking about buying a Kindle because I don't want to strain my eyes any more than I have to.

Is this Kindle the one I want or will there be a new model coming out soonish? I can wait a few months, I'm in no rush.

Couple questions:

1. I've never even seen a Kindle or ebook reader in real life before. Does it really look like a book page?

2. How does the Kindle I linked to handle pdfs with equations and figures? For example this pdf: http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/CAtxtChap8.pdf. Is it readable?

3. I'm assuming reading in my bed in the dark with the lights off is impossible unless I have a lamp?

4. If I get the Kindle 3G, can I browse the regular internet with it in foreign countries (with GSM) like this blog post suggests, for free?
I don't think there's a new model that's going to be dropping within the next couple of months, so no worries there.

As for your questions:
1. Yes actually, it does look like a book page. Very easy on the eyes and the text, line spacing, words per line, etc. are all adjustable.

2. Pretty okay - you'll have to zoom in on some pages in order to read them well.

3. Yes, there is no backlight.

4. I'm sure that you could, but don't quote me, I own only the wi-fi version.

And agreein' with everybody on getting a case. I don't own one of the official ones (I have a cheap one I got online) and I've also made my own. You should also get one of those adhesive screen-protectors if you can.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I wouldn't say the browser is terrible, but you can tell it definitely needs work done.

Nothing with flash will work on the Kindle because of limitations with eInk, and it is rather slow at times.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ziir posted:

Yeah I don't think I'll go with the 3G now that I think about it. Does Target still have Kindles on display? Would like to see one in person before ordering one.

vvv yeah thats part of the reason why I was interested in the 3G version, where I live now I have a smart phone but no internet package cause I don't want to pay for it and it's too expensive on a per use basis vvv

I dunno about Target. My local one was all about the iPad last I went.

Best Buy has them, though. They also have the Nook and the Sony Reader.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I was thinking of taking an old used paper back, and somehow converting it into an awesome cover for my kobo. Ideas, thoughts?

If you're crafty, it's certainly easy and very much a neat idea. I've personally made my own with chipboard from an old ratty binder and some quilting fabric I got on sale at Jo-Ann's. I'm planning on making another with fancier fabric from a specialty quilting shop when I go down to Decatur in the next couple of months.

... That was a lot of words. Anyways, I think using a paperback cover is a great idea, but you'll need to reinforce the cover with something more durable, like chipboard. I wouldn't use cardboard though - it bends way too easily.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

GoldenNugget posted:

If it has no figures or pictures and is text, you can put it through calibre and it'll look pretty good and you don't need to deal with zooming.

If there are pictures, I don't know how calibre handles that.

It'll keep them, but the formatting tends to get a little hosed up.

Edit: Worth noting that this can happen from pretty much any format. I've had stuff that I've converted from .epub get a little screwed up.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 18, 2011

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

JammyLammy posted:

I get the idea that some people don't like ereaders for whatever reason. What I don't get is the hate hardon that some people have for them though, that just boggles my mind.

Ereaders literally the holocaust.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-kaufman/google-books-and-kindles_b_380536.html

Maybe I'm missing some irony/sarcasm =/

It's the Huffington Post, so that should tell you pretty much everything. Also the fact that the author is spamming up his own comments section to advertise his work, oh and the glaring hypocrisy in that he's denouncing "Hi-Tech" culture while actively contributing to it by writing for an online newspaper.

I understand the fear in not having a hard copy of a work that doesn't require another medium to view it through, and there's certainly issues with the idea that a single source can control your access to material you've legally purchased. However, despite the popularity of ebooks and floundering of many publishing companies and bookstores, I'm fairly loving sure that books aren't going to be rendered as antiques within the next decade.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Vertigus posted:

I've seen people on this forum (or the Gadget forum) claim that the Kindle was a complete failure for Amazon, and that single purpose eReaders are a dead end compared to the iPad.
I guess it's great that most of the eReaders have multiple functions, huh. And honestly, if I wanted an iPad or something like that, I'd go buy that. I value my sight, though.

quote:

It's just some kind of weird stubbornness, and I love hearing crazy stuff about the smell of books being such an important part of the experience.
Yeah, I just like having books because they look nice on my shelf and it's nice to have something that doesn't require batteries. Too bad I don't have shelf space anymore, otherwise I'd be buying more books. I'm not a crazy person that huffs library paste.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Beastie posted:

You're going to spend a lot more time reading. Since this past Christmas I've averaged about 70 pages a day.

Ditto. poo poo I've read more than I ever thought I would with my Kindle.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, it's just a personal quirk that I started thinking about recently, but I probably came off as a douchebag with that post. I doubt that content creators care all that much since used media brings in new fans and makes it possible to get things that are out of print.
Some authors/musicians actually do care. Most of them tend to be lovely about it.

quote:

I bought my new kindle today. Haven't read anything yet but so far I'm impressed. I love the light in the cover.

I just hope I don't regret wifi only. My kindle 2 international had a lot of not at home book buying, but I think that was just because it could rather than something I'll actively miss.
Unless you travel very frequently, there is literally no point to having the 3G.

Besides that, I've had my kindle work at the hotels I've stayed at.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The only works inside the US, right? If I travel outside of the country all bets are off and Amazon will bill me?
I've never heard of them doing so, but I also don't own a 3g.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Quantify! posted:

Finally a way to get my ebooks for free!

Anyway, OverDrive sucks. Most of what they have is audiobooks.
This is what OverDrive in my county does.

... In the neighboring county that I got a library card for free from however...

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Sporadic posted:

I would wait for Amazon to come out with an official announcement (or a big name site to report on it) before taking that as gospel.

This. I still hope this is true. It's sometimes a huge pain in the rear end to convert many ePubs and have them display properly.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Sperg Victorious posted:

Amazon is doing a big 'sunshine deal' right now. Its a bunch of small and midsized publishers reducing prices from 99 cents to $2.99. Two weeks only.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000692281&tag=kwab-20

Article about the whole event here:
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-amazon-kindle-sunshine-deals-help-publishers-test-e-book-pricing/

A lot of fiction about the Amish in the literary section.

But otherwise, this is great. Some of Vonnegut's books are discounted for this deal.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

EasyEW posted:

On the ebook front, apparently Borders is tired of pretending.

The main reason this is likely to piss off Kobo/Borders faithful: Borders Rewards and Borders Bucks (whatever the hell those are) don't work with the Kobo site the way they did with the Borders-branded store, although they still claim you can use Borders gift cards.

Wooooow, loving low-blow, Borders. I am glad I did not get a Kobo.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Cover pics as requested.

Sorry for the bad pics, had to use cell camera.

The cover opens fully, and has a little magnetic latch, I just loop it around back and latch it closed again. Works like a charm.

Not bad for :10bux:
This was my first Kindle cover, actually! It's remarkably slim and quite nice. I own a speck one as well (part of the cover pops out so I can prop it up) which was nice, but I can't justify spending more than $25 on that one.

Now, if you're a crafty kind of person, I suggest making your own cover with this guide. Just get some pretty quilting fabric and take out the chipboard from an old binder and your pretty much set.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

quote:

Does nobody look at these e-books before they upload them?

From what I've read and seen? Most of the time, gently caress no.

Sometimes the author has to go back in and properly format the book.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Drunk Tomato posted:

Which is never.

I dunno, the Animorphs kindle version is about $5 as opposed to $7 for the paperback.

Or you could just go down to your local used bookstore and buy it for 50 cents.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Toebone posted:

Anything in particular stand out? I'll probably pick up As I Lay Dying, at least.

A few from what I've seen, like The Lake by Yoshimoto and Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell at least. There's a few nice deals in there, actually.

quote:

There is one guy who sold a million books on Amazon for all about 2-3 dollars each.
Amanda Hocking did, but she was also writing crappy YA fantasy, so.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Sci-fi/fantasy shelves at brick and mortars are just rows upon rows of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, so I'm not sure if that's accurate

Funnily enough, this description only applies to my local used book store and not the local Border's.

But yes, most of the stuff you can find on the Kindle in the Sci-fi section sucks.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

wheatpuppy posted:

Just FYI, at a glance it seems most of the equivalent "Nookbooks" are also on sale at B&N.

It makes sense, seeing as how a lot of the sales prices have been set by the publisher. Says as much on any of the Amazon kindle pages.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I really haven't gotten rid of much, but I have been buying less physically.

Except now that Border's is going out of business (oh god if I don't save the wee books who will).

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Drunk Tomato posted:

Do most of you Kindle people have the official Amazon case for the Kindle? I'm going on a long trip and I figure I should get a nice leather case, but I don't want to shell out $40ish for ones. What do you guys think of this one; seems to be well reviewed

http://www.amazon.com/CrazyOnDigital-Generation-Protector-wristband-included/dp/B00428C1I0

I own this, and it's not a bad cover for its price. But I've also taken to making my own covers, because most covers don't work as a stand (I like reading during breakfast and my lunch breaks).

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Sperg Victorious posted:

Some good news:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904265504576565040210224696.html?mod=WSJ_Tech_LEFTTopNews

Prime is looking even better now.
I got to renew for $30 and I don't know when or if overdrive will ever work for the kindle, so yes, this is a great deal.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
When I was looking at eReaders, I compared specs, battery life, support, cost, etc., and I went with the kindle mostly because it was cheaper without being poo poo and the customer support is above and beyond what I would expect of a $100 device.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Manifest posted:

Is there a noticeable difference in how pdfs render on the two devices?
Nope, they both suck pretty equally in that department.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Manifest posted:

Who is a bigger jerk about remote deletion of content you own at the moment?
I know Barnes and Noble had some scandal where they were remotely wiping people's nooks, and Amazon had the big mess when they deleted 1984 off of everyone's kindle.
I love when people snobbily bring that up without actually knowing what the gently caress had happened in the first place, nevermind the fact that Amazon gave back the money people paid for the ebook, and some extra cash on top of that.

See, Amazon didn't have the rights to sell that particular edition, so they had to remove it. That is a far cry away from them wiping the whole loving device.

quote:

At this point everyone seems to be very pro kindle, but can anyone point out why the nook even exists if the kindle is so much better?
Some people saw something different in the Nook that caused them to buy it, be it cost or particular features (if you live close to a B&N, it would be better to have a Nook, for example, or had a local library with Overdrive). The kindle isn't the be-all-end-all of eReaders and I say this as a kindle owner.

Edit: Sorry if I came off as overly defensive, but seriously, I've met too many people who have given me such smug grief over owning a kindle.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 20, 2011

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Manifest posted:

No smugness here, I'm just genuinely curious, as someone who was "outside" of the whole thing I didn't have a real frame of reference for what really happened, which is why I asked.
Ah, my mistake then.

Yeah the reality is, the publisher in question selling through Amazon didn't have the legal rights to actually distribute it - so Amazon had to pull it otherwise they were going to get in serious trouble. So, they refunded the purchase price for the ebook, and when they caught poo poo for that they gave people who were affected a gift card for $30 or a check for the same amount (if they didn't want to keep their services with Amazon). There was even a lawsuit about it, but they settled out of court for a relatively decent sum.

After the whole thing though, kindle owners were given wider rights over their purchased content:

Wikipedia posted:

For copies of Works purchased pursuant to TOS granting "the non-exclusive right to keep a permanent copy" of each purchased Work and to "view, use and display [such Works] an unlimited number of times, solely on the [Devices]. . . and solely for [the purchasers'] personal, non-commercial use", Amazon will not remotely delete or modify such Works from Devices purchased and being used in the United States unless (a) the user consents to such deletion or modification; (b) the user requests a refund for the Work or otherwise fails to pay for the Work (e.g., if a credit or debit card issuer declines to remit payment); (c) a judicial or regulatory order requires such deletion or modification; or (d) deletion or modification is reasonably necessary to protect the consumer or the operation of a Device or network through which the Device communicates (e.g., to remove harmful code embedded within a copy of a Work downloaded to a Device).[98]

This is notably though, probably the only time it has happened.

Broken Dictionary posted:

Ok here's the deal. I bought my Kindle in America, but I now live in Germany.
My Kindle is pretty much hosed up right now. It freezes and won't do anything after 3 minutes or so on, then I have to restart everything, wait a while, turn it back on, and the same thing happens where it freezes again. Tried updating the software, factory restart, etc. and nothing works. So I'm gonna send it back and get a new one. Problem is, will they ship me another one to Germany? Really, really pissed off right now about the whole thing.
Well, you'll never know until you ask. Shoot them an email explaining the situation.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

SweeneyTodd posted:

Just wanted to note that Kindle support is coming very soon for Overdrive-enabled public libraries. (Amazon's announced it's available, but since it just happened, your local library may not have it enabled yet.)

As far as Kindle collections and Calibre, I've resigned myself to just managing my collections on the Kindle. If you stick to, say, adding a bunch of books by genre, bulk adding them to a collection is pretty quick.
My county doesn't have eBook lending, but the neighboring one does and I have a card through them.

You have no idea how long I've waited for this poo poo.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Quad posted:

So I JUST learned that libraries have been lending out e-books for a while now, and decided to try it out for grins.
What weird-rear end licensing deal do libraries have, where they can only let like 4 people download the book within a 2 week period? These are not physical books, why is there a limit on how many people can read them within a certain timeframe?
I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat that goes "Man, unavailability increases piracy!"... but... well? Who's going to stay on the online "waiting list" for 6 weeks just to be able to download a copy of the new J.D. Robb or whatever, when their 11 year old son can just get it for them with no hassle, instantly?
Much like the music industry, the publishing industry is too concerned about money and too dumb to develop better business models in the face of changing technology.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

BELL END posted:

You read in the shower? I'm not sure if that's weird or loving awesome.
If you put it in a ziploc bag, you have nothing to fear. I read in the bath all the time now.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

teraflame posted:

Thats such a non-issue I hardly notice it now.

Ditto, and it wasn't particularly bright or obnoxious to begin with.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Junkenstein posted:

I guess I can believe some people find the page refreshing annoying but yeah, by the time my eyes have gone from the bottom of the page up to the top of the new one, it's already refreshed. It's certainly a hell of a lot quicker than physically turning the page of a book.

Remember those those things? How the hell did I cope with those archaic monstrosities?
I have the hardback edition of 11/22/63. My wrists are already shot from playing Skyward Sword and trying to pull 50k words for NaNoWriMo. I don't know how I'm going to deal with this book.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I actually regret buying King's book in hardcover. Mostly because holy poo poo is it a strain on my wrists.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Jesus christ some of you have your boxers in a knot. Yes, your hands have oils on them. But for most electronics, you should invest in a screen protector. I have a Kindle keyboard and I still have a screen protector on it.

M-Edge makes 'em drat cheap and puts three to a pack.

nessin posted:

And for me, I use my devices on travel a lot where I don't pack microfiber cloths or wipes, so I can end up using it for dozens of hours over a couple weeks without any good options for wiping down the screen.
eReaders are not eyeglasses - you can use kleenex or paper towels on them just fine in a pinch. It's not a big deal, it'll get most debris and grime off the device and it won't scratch crap.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

mcustic posted:

How do you people clean your Kindle? I would hate to ruin my screen with something too abrasive.
I have an adhesive screen protector on mine, so I don't need to clean it very often. When I do though, I use store-brand lens cleaning wipes. The kind of cheap, moist towelettes that come pre-moistened. They do a pretty bang-up job of taking off smudges and any sort of stuck on crap.

cubicle gangster posted:

I cant believe how paranoid you are about an e reader.
The attitude isn't uncommon, though. I get it all the time from people with my Kindle. "Oh, aren't you afraid that Amazon will up and decide to take all of your precious books away from you for no reason???"

Even when I explain the loving case to them, they're still like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Silhouette posted:

Return it and buy a Nook Glow :angel:

Or don't throw a literal hissy fit and tell the internet about it. That's also something to consider.

• Locked thread