Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I just picked up a Sony Pocket Reader with a bunch of store credit from a used bookstore, and I have kind of mixed feelings on the thing so far. I was particularly interested in a Sony or Nook because it is compatible with Overdrive books from my local library, but the more time I spend on my library's Overdrive page, the more underwhelmed I become. On a quick glance, there seems to be a good selection of books available, but almost all of the books I am interested in are on some kind of wait list. The checkout policy is also a little more restrictive than I had hoped; books deactivate in two weeks, which is less time than a regular library checkout. Oddly, it also seems that my library has a lot more audiobooks than e-books.

Sony's store seems to have as good of a selection of books as any, but outside of bestsellers, the prices seem a little high. I guess I'm just not that comfortable spending the price typically asked for a book that only works on one brand of hardware. In any case, I don't see myself doing a lot of reading on this thing in the near future which is sort of a bummer because I love gadgets. The store I bought it from has a seven day return policy, so I may just return it.

I like e-readers. I like their nifty paper-like screens, I like their compact size... but I'm thinking that they aren't the best fit for how I like to read. Didn't mean to make this a rambling post making GBS threads on e-readers, but maybe its something to think about for people who are currently in the market for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I had never heard about Inkmesh before, so thank you for sharing that link. With all the different formats and readers available, I'm still trying to figure out what my options are.

Since you say you purchase books from Amazon, I'm assuming that you have to find a way to remove the DRM, right?

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Vertigus posted:

I read "How I read" as "I don't like to spend money." Of course the library stuff is going to be really awkward right now; it's a relatively new thing and it's a lot to ask of a library to get everything properly licensed and stuff.

But he's got a point in that the Sony store is really expensive. I went from a Sony Reader to a Kindle partially because the Amazon store is so much cheaper. While Sony does offer deals, you'll see a lot of new releases that are $10 at Amazon and $20 at Sony.

Hey, I fully admit to being a cheap bastard. I've been spoiled by cheap paperbacks from library booksales, I guess. I tend not to read brand new releases too often. The last hardcover I bought was Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart- cost me $26. If I had a reader at the time, I could have gotten it for about $10. That's not a bad deal at all, I'd say. My problem is that older books tend to still cost nearly the same price and don't seem to go on sale all that often.

I understand why the libraries have to make the compromises they do, and I still think its a pretty good deal. In practice, though, it ends up being a little more restrictive than just checking out a hard copy. If I check out a book at the library, I get three weeks to read it, and can easily renew if I need to. If I check out an ebook, I get two weeks and no quick option to renew. Makes a difference for me.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Since Borders just filed for bankruptcy, it looks like Kobobooks is trying to do some damage control by offering 20% of the first book you purchase from them. I registered, and instantly received a coupon for 35%. Their store seems about as decent as any to me, from what I've browsed.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
The book barn is no place to be a grammar Nazi. Nazis hate books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

EasyEW posted:

That's not the half of it: our local Borders is one of the ones closing, and they actually have the Kobo marked down to $79.99 for the liquidation sale (their new Borders price is $99.99, according to the website). If you've got one in your area being shuttered, it might be worth the trip.

Even at that price, I couldn't recommend the Kobo. A few months ago, my girlfriend was reviewing various e-readers for her job, and I was able to try out pretty much every one out there. The Kobo had by far the crappiest display and clunkiest design. That was before it bricked and she had to deal with some truly horrible customer service to get a replacement.

• Locked thread