Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Speaking of .PDFs specifically, my newer Sony Touch 650 treats them like any other normal text file, and lets you zoom the text in to all 5 different sizes, and it's 100% as it should be, whereas the old PRS-505s would act all retarded with the "zooming in the whole page" hooplah. So there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

A friend of mine is looking at readers, and asking advice.
I've got a Sony Touch, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, in my opinion it does everything Kindle does, but better, with a touch screen. However it is about $100 more on average.
He's also looking at a PanOptics something-or-other.
Can anyone with Kindle experience legitimately recommend it over a Sony for reasons other than price?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Space Harrier posted:

but I'm thinking that they aren't the best fit for how I like to read.

It seems like your main gripe is the price of e-books.
Which sucks, real talk.
But there are plenty of free legal options out there for lots of books. Gutenberg (but the formatting is usually awful), Amazons got free books (but you have to take a minute to convert from mobi), etc.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

What is the process for putting new wallpapers on a sony reader? I'm tired of the palm tree. Also what image sizes should I be looking for?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

So I've been getting into Calibre's newsfeeds, seeing if any of them are worth scheduling daily, weekly, or whatever. What are some newsfeeds you all like on your e-readers?
I'm liking Roger Eberts, its a lot of content for one download, also Snopes is good weekly, Kotaku, and the New Yorker.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Did anyone ever pose the question to Rowling as to why she waited so long? The most popular books in the WORLD; anyone who wanted them in e-book format already has them, I would assume.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

So I JUST learned that libraries have been lending out e-books for a while now, and decided to try it out for grins.
What weird-rear end licensing deal do libraries have, where they can only let like 4 people download the book within a 2 week period? These are not physical books, why is there a limit on how many people can read them within a certain timeframe?
I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat that goes "Man, unavailability increases piracy!"... but... well? Who's going to stay on the online "waiting list" for 6 weeks just to be able to download a copy of the new J.D. Robb or whatever, when their 11 year old son can just get it for them with no hassle, instantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I love my sony touch too, but at this point it's pretty expensive for the same features you get on every other reader, if I had to buy a new reader today, I'd go for a Glow Nook Simple. Then again I don't have wireless nor need it, so if someone wants to buy shitloads of books from their reader, i've no idea what to suggest.

• Locked thread