Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I'm getting my Kindle 3G today and I'm very excited to try it out. I initially thought the 3G was only for downloading books but I'm really excited about having internet access everywhere (even if the browser is finicky).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So I think I may have an issue with my kindle 3.

It won't come back from sleeping. It was last at around 2/3 battery. I never turned it off so it went to the splash screen that comes up. I slide the power switch, it lights green, and then nothing happens and the splash screen remains. I've held the power switch until it blinks green and turns off. Nothing happens. Wireless is off.

I do have it in the non lighted amazon cover which I heard shorts the unit but I've done all of the above with the kindle out of the cover and it does the same. Any tips on what to do?

If it matters, I got the kindle about november/decemberish.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Well I solved my issue with my kindle. Somehow it ran out of juice so I guess I might have left wireless on (but I'm certain I turned it off).

Anyway, figured out how to get free news with calibre and send it to my free kindle account so I can download through a wireless network. I also found mangle and now I can read comics on my kindle (apparently entire series are only ~200 mbs :)).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

blue squares posted:

Well I hate putting PDFs on my Kindle because it's zoom feature sucks. You can only zoom by 150%, 200%, or 300%. If something isn't readable/fits in one screen at those settings, it's a pain in the rear end.

If it has no figures or pictures and is text, you can put it through calibre and it'll look pretty good and you don't need to deal with zooming.

If there are pictures, I don't know how calibre handles that.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

I bought my fiancée a Kindle 3G for Christmas and fiddled with it a bit, so I decided to pick one up for myself. Mostly I am hoping it will encourage me to read more; in the past five years I've only read like four books out of personal interest. So I feel like I ought to be reading more.

I was like you in terms of not reading much and since getting a Kindle in November, I've read something like 9ish books and half-read quite a few more. Using Calibre I can get free news too. I also put comics on my Kindle :).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I need more info about both of these please.

I have Calibre.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah fetch news on calibre. It's a bit iffy getting the e-mail working but it does work. Just play around with how you put in your login information and it should click at some point. Be sure to use your free kindle account or you will be charged 3G fees!

As for the comics:
http://foosoft.net/mangle/

You need to have the original pictures through but it puts it into an organized easy to read format. I read Akira this way. It does take up a bunch of space (something like 200-400 mbs) and takes forever to transfer. It remembers your spot which is a good feature.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Levitate posted:

Do people find any utility with the 3G version of the Kindle over the basic kind (beyond getting books whenever and wherever)?

Not sure which to get...some basic web browsing would be welcome especially if it lets me check my email but do people find other uses?

Well if you are away from a wireless ap like at a hotel with pay for wireless and don't have 3g on your phone, it's nice to have to check e-mail and do some simple things. Otherwise, I haven't used it much.

Also, what does jailbreaking your kindle get you exactly? My kindle works perfectly but I don't want to sacrifice usability for some portal 2 screensavers...

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 2, 2011

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Oh sweet Cat's Cradle is 3 bucks. There are two versions however; one from Rosettabooks and the other from Random House (which is 11 bucks).

Is there a significant difference between the two?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Then, how does the non ads one keep the jailbreak?

Also, I probably wouldn't go online that much, can you update books via the computer w/ the kindle software?

Can the "homebrew" apps work on the Ads one?

Non ad kindles hold their jailbreak/screensavers even if you use 3g to download books.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

It's amazing how quickly technology goes from new and cutting-edge to old and ho-him. I just read a couple articles about the Kindle tablet, and all of them referred to the Kindle reader as an 'old-fashioned e-reader' or some variation thereof.

Also they better not abandon the e-ink reader line to go full tablet.

I still think my kindle is cutting-edge... Tablets are something else entirely and there will always be a place for a dedicated e-reader like the kindle in my mind.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Ketzal posted:

I'm trying to justify to myself why I should buy a Kindle, and I was wondering if it supports PDFs. My school likes to assign e-readings that are basically shittily scanned pages that are almost always considered images, so you can't highlight the text in reader programs, things like that. Could I somehow convert these to be readable on a Kindle? I could probably live without being able to highlight as long as it'll save me money on printing.

You can try out calibre since, in addition to pulling off the news off websites and formatting them to kindle format, it also does pdf reconversions to mobi. If it's shittily scanned, that could pose an issue.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Toebone posted:

The issue was with the non-lighted cases - they plug into the same ports as the lighted cases, which somehow causes the short. If you call and complain about it Amazon will send you a free lighted case replacement.

I got my non-lighted case in November of last year. It (still) works fine but do you think I can call amazon and get a lighted replacement? That'd be pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Willsun posted:

I've been tempted to get an e-reader recently since I've been reading a lot before sleeping. Since I'm a thrifty guy yet want a brand new version of the popular e-readers, I'm heavily leaning toward the Kindle. From reading reviews and stuff though and playing with a sample on at a Best Buy, I still have a few concerns that I hope some people can help answer.

Most reviews are kinda wishy-washy about the new wifi feature and the ability to play music. They usually say "well it's new and the first time the Kindle has it so obviously it's not top-of-the-line," but I want to know just how much I can do with it. In general does it browse websites alright? I know Flash or video plugins is probably out of the question but my #1 thing is that I was hoping it'd be able to check Google maps. I have yet to get a smartphone but if an e-reader can do this for me I'd be plenty pleased. And as for playing music, reviews just told me it wasn't easy to select what you want to play, but I'm not really big on this feature anyway and if it can play just a little music without crashing or bugging up often I'd be fine. I just really wish I was able to try going online with the sample model in the store.

I also read it was possible to swap out the battery in a Kindle, but how easy is this to do? Also, does anyone know if there's a good selection of comics/manga available for e-readers yet?

I'm also curious about doing this to a Kindle should I ever get one. Is this possible with the current Kindle?

Don't plan on using the kindle for anything but reading. The browser is just functional and still in the experimental phase. It's clunky, doesn't support anything animated (there's also ghosting with e-ink), and doesn't support multiple windows. It's also a bitch to type on. Google Maps is also a pain to use on kindle. I only used the 3g as a last resort when I ended up at a hotel with no free wifi.

I haven't used it for music but I heard you can't make playlists or what not. I think there might be a way to play audio books if you can jailbreak it and install mplayer or something.

I use the kindle to read manga. There's a goon made mingle which is command line and a pain to use but it gives you a table of contents. Mangle has a better interface to arrange your chapters. It scales the colors well to B&W. I don't know if there is a way to actually buy comics/manga for kindle right now.

Calibre is pretty good for free news and converts it to kindle format with a table of contents. You can also use it for pdfs but that's a bit more finicky.

Those things being said, the kindle is great for reading books and that's about it. It has a good screen for reading and the battery last about a month without charging (I've totally forgotten when was the last time I charged my kindle).

• Locked thread