Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

IRQ posted:

RMA it, mine only takes like 2 hours to charge and that lasts 3 weeks+.

Lucky for you Amazon customer service is really good.

Jesus, this shouldn't be the first answer to a question like that. Try some basic troubleshooting stuff before you ship it back to Amazon.

Try upgrading to the 3.03 firmware and see if that doesn't get the Kindle acting normally: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelg?nodeId=200529700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

gmq posted:

Maybe it's because I'm used to browsing the Internet on my crappy phone with Opera Mini with a 25MB/$6 rate but I don't mind using the browser on the Kindle, especially considering that it's "free".

Speaking of which, have there been any reports on what happens to people when they enable USB tethering on a Kindle? I suspect that it'd be pretty easy to get your device banned, but I haven't heard any stories.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's an interesting article about ebooks and apple ipad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/technology/02apple.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Essentially Apple has determined that most people that read ebooks on the Ipad do so through the Kindle app and they buy their books from Amazon instead of Apple. It used to be the case that if your app had a "store" that sold things, Apple would take 30% of the cut. Amazon has always skirted this issue with their app because when you purchase a book, it launches a web browser and you purchase the book from their actual website instead of from within the app. Now Apple is rejecting apps that do this and requiring the app to also provide an option to purchase from within so they can get their 30% share of the purchase. Sony's ebook app was the first to get axed, most likely Amazon will get pulled soon too.

Kind of a dick move on Apple, but well within their rights I guess.

I held out getting an Ipad mostly because I wanted to wait a generation or so to see if they would improve upoon the design and offer a smaller version. Even if I did own an Ipad, I would still use my kindle for reading books on the go, the e-ink screen is far superior for reading.

But now with the Android based tablets coming out, I'll probably hold off on the Ipad. Epsecially if Apple does away with the Kindle app.

What? I thought they axed the Sony app because it didn't send you to a website, and instead had an in-app store that didn't go through iTunes.

If that's true, though, then it's such bullshit. They're only doing it because they didn't want to take the effort needed to make their own store compete with Sony's and Amazon's.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maxnmona posted:

Why are people asking questions about broken kindles here? Amazon has possibly the best customer service department in the world. Give them a call.

People are so used to being dicked around on everything that the idea of Amazon offering customer service beyond telling people they can repair their Kindle for $100 isn't believable.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

April posted:

I assumed that since this thread is to discuss the pros & cons of each device, the issues people are having would be on topic. Of course Amazon will fix problems, but wouldn't this be the place to talk about those problems with other potential buyers?

That's true, and I think I mentioned in this thread that it's retarded to tell people "Call Amazon and get them to ship you a new Kindle" before attempting to troubleshoot a problem. Amazon's customer service will only stay good as long as it's profitable.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

butt baby posted:

Is it possible to edit the margins of an ebook on a kindle if its kind of messed up? I downloaded one of the free books and theres this large empty space on the left thats really bothering me.

You can edit everything about an eBook if you use calibre, include the margins, font size, and regex stuff for changing specific bits of text and markup.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Quad posted:

It seems like your main gripe is the price of e-books.
Which sucks, real talk.
But there are plenty of free legal options out there for lots of books. Gutenberg (but the formatting is usually awful), Amazons got free books (but you have to take a minute to convert from mobi), etc.

I read "How I read" as "I don't like to spend money." Of course the library stuff is going to be really awkward right now; it's a relatively new thing and it's a lot to ask of a library to get everything properly licensed and stuff.

But he's got a point in that the Sony store is really expensive. I went from a Sony Reader to a Kindle partially because the Amazon store is so much cheaper. While Sony does offer deals, you'll see a lot of new releases that are $10 at Amazon and $20 at Sony.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

JammyLammy posted:

I get the idea that some people don't like ereaders for whatever reason. What I don't get is the hate hardon that some people have for them though, that just boggles my mind.

Ereaders literally the holocaust.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-kaufman/google-books-and-kindles_b_380536.html

Maybe I'm missing some irony/sarcasm =/

I've seen people on this forum (or the Gadget forum) claim that the Kindle was a complete failure for Amazon, and that single purpose eReaders are a dead end compared to the iPad.

It's just some kind of weird stubbornness, and I love hearing crazy stuff about the smell of books being such an important part of the experience.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Has anybody started a program to hand out eReaders to inner city kids or something? It seems like a really good way to encourage reading for kids who don't have access to libraries, or if they do have access it's to ones that are underfunded and terrible.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

So who is going to write the bigger check to get these exclusively, Amazon, Apple, or B&Noble? I suppose they could come out for all formats, but with tons of money at stake I won't be surprised to see somebody pay for the rights. Didn't Apple write a huge check to get The Beatles on Itunes exclusively?

My bet's on Apple. They're having a pretty tough time competing in the eBook market, and mostly because of their own obstinance. This seems like the kind of thing they'd do.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

RobattoJesus posted:

This is the worst part. I hate the current screen savers so the ads would at least inject a bit of variety into things, and I wouldn't have to explain to non-Kindle savvy / illiterate people why I have a picture of "Some old woman" (Harriet Beecher Stowe) or "A moderately attractive sex offender" (John Steinbeck) on my kindle.

The problem with images of famous authors is that they're typically not very attractive so you end up with a slideshow of really talented, unattractive dead people.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Calibre is poo poo though for library management. Is there anything better?

It kind of reminds me of iTunes in the way that you don't know what the gently caress it's actually doing to your files. It's definitely capable but using it is a bit of a chore.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maxnmona posted:

I read an article by a pilot explaining this rule. It has nothing to do with "electric fields" or whatever. It's that if something goes wrong during landing or take-off, they want people to be aware of where they are and able to listen to instructions, something they won't be able to do with headphones on or messing around with a laptop.

It's the same reason they ask you to open your window shade during landing.

Sounds like somebody just making something up and going with their gut feeling. If they wanted people to listen to instructions then they'd tell them to stow the magazines and paperbacks too.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

It's really frustrating to see out-of-print novels that aren't available in an electronic format. The one publisher I wanted to contact about it only had a Twitter account, and they asked me "What was your question?" and never got back to me after I tried to sum up my question in 140 characters.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

It's just like browsing a brick and mortar bookstore!

I dunno, at least the authors of those books in a physical bookstore had to put some effort into convincing a publisher to distribute them. The Amazon sci-fi/fantasy section is a sea of self-published books with synopses like "John Dagger fights the Zorglings with his Mark 2 Alpha Centurion Version 8.374 Interceptor Mechazoid with Zinc-Unobtainium machine screws and a Smitt & Weston clip packed with 9000 caliber hyper bulletrockets."

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

Does sorting my best sellers help?

I've tried that and, believe it or not, the same ludicrously awful books are also the bestsellers.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Surprise! Apple as well as some major publishers are being sued for allegedly colluding to drive up Amazon's eBook prices.

quote:

"Terrified" by Amazon's Kindle e-reader and discounted e-book pricing, five major publishers allegedly acted together to increase e-book prices and compel Amazon to abandon its discount sales strategy. That's the gist of a new class action antitrust lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of California by the Hagens Berman litigation group.

The five book sellers named in the suit are HarperCollins, Hachette Book Group, Macmillan, Penguin Group Inc., and Simon & Schuster Inc, plus one more defendant: Apple.

"Fortunately for the publishers, they had a co-conspirator as terrified as they were over Amazon's popularity and pricing structure, and that was Apple,"
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/08/class-action-suit-targets-apple-and-five-publishers-for-price-fixing.ars

The accusation itself isn't a big surprise, but this whole mess is fascinating, especially considering that Apple's eBook marketplace was lauded by publishers but fails to be a big hit with customers due to high prices and low availability.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Everything was set for Amazon to drag the ebook industry kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and then Apple had to run in and gently caress it up for everyone.

This is the single reason I hate Apple.

I think the saddest thing is that it didn't even work out well for Apple. They made all these underhanded deals, supported collusion by the publishers, and got jack poo poo for it in the end.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Manifest posted:

Who is a bigger jerk about remote deletion of content you own at the moment?
I know Barnes and Noble had some scandal where they were remotely wiping people's nooks, and Amazon had the big mess when they deleted 1984 off of everyone's kindle.
At this point everyone seems to be very pro kindle, but can anyone point out why the nook even exists if the kindle is so much better?

The B&N thing wasn't intentional, and the Amazon thing was about wiping a book that was being distributed illegally through their service. Considering the amount of flack they got over that, I imagine Amazon isn't going to bother doing it again unless there's some dire need.

I think they even said that next time they would just stop distributing the book and wouldn't go so far as to wipe it off of peoples' devices.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Planning on jumping into this whole e-reader malarky with a Kindle Touch. Seems reasonable at $99, the battery life seems pretty good, and I like the size of Amazon's library. The supported file types are nice as well, particularly the PDF support.

In addition to the normal reading I'll be doing with the thing, I've got a number of RPG PDF's that I'd like to throw on it for reference purposes while playing. Anyone have any experience trying that, or just any info on the PDF performance at all?

Anybody who says they're ok with reading complicated PDFs (like you'd see in an RPG manual) on an eInk device is either crazy or has the patience of a saint. Get a tablet device with an LCD screen if you're going to spend lots of time with PDFs.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dorepoll posted:

Is there a simple way to circumvent Kindle's location restrictions? The book I want to get isn't allowed in Australia, but I see it is available in the US store. Could I potentially gently caress up my Amazpn account for this?

http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

I don't think anyone's had issues putting a fake address into their account.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Amazon announced that they've been selling over a million Kindles a week, for the past 3 weeks. :stare:

Time to put my Nook Color and 3G Kindle 3 up on Craigslist to take advantage of Christmas Shortages~~~

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

commander nojj posted:

So what do you guys think of the fire for strictly reading comic books? I have one of the keyboardless kindles and I am in love with it for my book reading concerns (and possibly manga), but I'd still like a dedicated device I can load up with comic books and the fire is looking like the most cost efficient way of going about it. What are your thoughts on the device for this purpose alone?

I bought Watchmen from the Amazon store and was disappointed that it didn't have that active panel thing. It's just barely readable on the Fire's screen without zooming in. I hear the Comixology app has that for all their books, though, so it should be great on the Fire.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Check out "The Old Man and the Wasteland" it takes place around 40 years after a nuclear war, doesn't have any bullshit, is a good read and is only $.99 at Amazon.

This seems to be in the same vein as books like "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" so I'll need extra assurance that it's not a piece of poo poo.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

dokmo posted:

If you're not a loving pig you won't have enough oil on your fingers to noticeably smear the display. If you are a loving pig, you can use a pen or elbow or literally anything to turn the page, it really isn't a big deal.

You're an rear end in a top hat, you know that? Every set of hands on every person on the planet is absolutely covered in grease. That's why police bother dusting for fingerprints. That's why handheld devices commonly come with oleophobic coatings. It's natural, human beings are equipped with glands whose sole purpose is to grease up our hands.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 14, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

The answer to almost any screen cleaning question is "microfiber cloth (dry)".

I overpaid for some microfiber cloth + cleaning spray set (probably just anti-static fluid) and I will say that cleaning the screen wet will let you get fingerprints and stuff off easier without all the rubbing that could cause scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

You must have gigantic pants to be able to carry a Kindle in your pocket.

On that note, I'm interested in a brand of cargo pants that will let me carry my netbook around.

• Locked thread