Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The refurbished ones are probably less likely to have problems out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vertigus posted:

Surprise! Apple as well as some major publishers are being sued for allegedly colluding to drive up Amazon's eBook prices.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/08/class-action-suit-targets-apple-and-five-publishers-for-price-fixing.ars

The accusation itself isn't a big surprise, but this whole mess is fascinating, especially considering that Apple's eBook marketplace was lauded by publishers but fails to be a big hit with customers due to high prices and low availability.

Apple wanted to drag the ebook market back to what it was before the first Kindle. Try this, it's an old ebook storefront from 2005:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050331062325/http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp

See those prices? Most of the books sold for around 15-20 bucks. It was awful. Sure it don't help Apple's sales that they won't even let you read them on your Mac, let alone any other platform, but the stupidly high prices are most of it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series for the first time after getting my kindle. Sadly, they aren't out on the kindle, so I'm forced to read them in actual book form, like a barbarian. One advantage e-books have is it's definitely more comfortable to hold and read than a 800~ page book.

They will be out soon in legal ebook form, and supposedly they'll work on all major readers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

enigmahfc posted:

So are the Kobo E-readers any good? They have them for $60 at my store, and that's pretty drat tempting, but I have zero experience with them. Can I read poo poo from Amazon on them, or can I convert them in some way? What's the quality when it comes to glare, reading, battery life, etc?

You'd have to break DRM which can be annoying and hard, and the ones that'd be on sale for $60 would have to be the older model which wasn't particularly nice. Basically the Kobo reader was on par with the Kindle 2 but came out like a year later.

Remember that you can get a Kindle Wifi with the ads for only $114 and have no issue reading stuff from Amazon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Popular Human posted:

So my Kindle died, screen froze up and only a tiny corner of it refreshes and shows text. No big deal, I called up Amazon and they're going to ship me a new one and then I ship them the busted one back. The only problem is - the screen it's stuck on is a custom screensaver I installed. Are they going to take one look at it and charge me for the new Kindle, or will they not really care? I haven't done anything to it other than install the custom screensaver hack.

When I had my Kindle 2 sent in fro a broken screen a few year back, I'd had that weird chinese replacement OS on it (for EPUB capability and different fonts etc) and Amazon didn't charge me anything for that being done. Custom screensaver is far less intensive a change so I wouldn't worry.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Is there a way to manually get the 3G Kindle to find 3G signals? mine seems to think that it can only get wi-fi for some reason (and yes it actually is a 3G one; the model info confirms it).

Did you tell it to log in to a local wifi network ever? If you do that it will refuse to use 3G unless you leave the signal area of known wifi networks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syphon posted:

E-Ink Touchscreen. Get rid of that stupid keyboard, which I've used maybe twice since I bought the thing.

Sure, if you want to make it a worse device for a lot of other people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spug posted:

That's not e-ink though. There are touch screen e-ink devices, like the Sony Reader.

Which doesn't address lack of functionality added or the fact that anything you touch eventually gets more marks on it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syphon posted:

My E-Ink screen doesn't really show fingerprints, but I'll concede that's a pretty valid point. However, what lack of functionality would there be with an on-screen keyboard instead of a physical one?

The physical one allows you to type faster than the onscreen one could, while also not requiring any additional power overhead to detect touch. Additionally, the physical keyboard is always present, so I can start typing on any screen to search etc without having to invoke a menu or option to bring up the onscreen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ara posted:

Holy poo poo, I wanna try this now.

The reason I haven't gotten a Nook Touch is that Nooks are pretty much irrelevant outside of the US :shobon:

Barnes & Noble not doing any international business since like 2002 tends to do that, yeah.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Been thinking of adding a new ereader to the collection.

Does the nook touch or the newest kindle firmware update allow collections to be made and handled like the sony reader? Meaning I can put books I want to read in my own order in it's own little collection or shelf, and not have the device drop em in alphabetical order? (without editing the metadata)

Any way to move books OTA via wifi to the nook touch?

I'm pretty sure one of the Kindle jailbreaks will get you what you want for collections.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mrfreeze posted:

I have owned both a Nook and a Kindle, and have ended up having the same problem occur with both. Hopefully someone here knows what the heck caused it so I can keep it from happening again. During the last year I would travel a lot and stay in a bunch of hotels. And both times, I would go to work and leave my ereader sitting on the bed in the hotel. And when I came back at the end of the day, there would be giant frozen blank spots in the screen. On my kindle, the entire screen was just frozen up and looked like if you took a magnet to a tv set. Tried letting the power run completely out and restarting it, but to no avail. I was pretty much screwed on that one because the warranty had just run out a month ago.
Now with the Nook, I came back and there was a thick white line running across the middle of the screen, and black streaks down the right side. I left the thing running for 2 weeks without charging it, and even after the battery was long dead that was imprinted on the screen. I can charge it, turn it on and load books fine, but the white line just chops the middle of the page right out so I can't actually read anything. I've sent the nook back, and am getting it replaced, but does anyone know what caused this in the first place so I can quit doing it?

You left it out in a hotel. Maintenance staff accidentally hit them and didn't bother to inform you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What do you find "less restrictive" about the nook?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Manifest posted:

epub, and storage expandability are the two main sticking points for me.
I'm aware of calibre, and used it to convert books for my lady's kindle in the past, but I like that barnes and noble went with an open format.
Is there a noticeable difference in how pdfs render on the two devices?

Mobipocket is also an open format. It's been an open format longer than EPUB has existed for that matter.

As far as expandability goes you can fit at least 3000 books on a Kindle so it's kinda moot - nearly all books are under a megabyte and you've got over 3.5 gb of usable space for them. You'll have issues wading through all the books long before you fill the storage, especially since there's obviously no video or color content possible on either device.

No, PDFs render terribly on all small eink devices for the reason that they're not designed for them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Manifest posted:

Who is a bigger jerk about remote deletion of content you own at the moment?
I know Barnes and Noble had some scandal where they were remotely wiping people's nooks, and Amazon had the big mess when they deleted 1984 off of everyone's kindle.
At this point everyone seems to be very pro kindle, but can anyone point out why the nook even exists if the kindle is so much better?

Amazon deleted an illegal copy of 1984 off of people's Kindles, while simultaneously giving a refund. The legit copy of 1984 actually cost/costs less than the illegal one did.

The nook exists because Barnes & Noble is still for now a decently robust company. Of course, the Kindle (and Sony readers) are sold and supported globally whereas the nook is only sold and supported in the United States.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LamoTheKid posted:

The touch interface works just like the app. Touch center for menu, left side to go left right side to go right.

I might sell my 3G and get the 3G Touch.

I just worry that it won't work right when I have mine in a ziploc bag for summer poolside/beachside reading.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syphon posted:

Kinda interesting how you can buy a Kindle Touch with free 3g, but the Kindle Fire doesn't come with it. I guess they assume that a user with a full tablet will be using a LOT more out of their internet connection, so they don't want to provide it with the Fire!

Yeah, Amazon has the free data on eink Kindles because you really can't do a lot of traffic over it even if you try. They'd have to be real stupid or for someone reason in need of spending a lot of money pointlessly to bring it to a full tablet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What would actually promote piracy would be making buying ebooks more expensive and making lending services more limited and difficult to use.

If you had to deal with something like paying $20 for most ebooks, or a library ebook lending service only allowing 4 books per month, that's way more of a push towards piracy than ebooks being cheap and a library letting you grab 10 books a week.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Prancelot posted:

I don't often polish Steve Jobs's bone, but he's onto something when he says that industries need to adjust to compete with piracy, not to prevent it.

No gently caress him. Did you forget how Apple was behind getting ebook publishers to raise prices? How the Apple ebook store doesn't even work on Apple computers, let alone non-apple devices?

He may talk the talk but Apple ain't doing poo poo to follow what he says.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wanderlost posted:

OK, what gives...?

My school gave me a Kindle DX as part of a pilot program with amazon in 2009, never used it. I got a Kindle3 for xmas 2010, and because of the smaller size, I carried it and used it every day. When school started two months ago, I put my kindle on a shelf and haven't done any leisure reading since then.

I was just given a 400 page bound copy of a piece of technical documentation critical to my job. The documentation is also available as a 1.5Gb .pdf which I had intended to load on the DX and save myself carrying 7.5 lbs of paper everywhere I go. I broke the seals on my now almost 2 year old Kindle DX, and found it completely dead. The screen warns of critical battery, and when plugged into a power source, the orange light flickered on briefly for a second the first time, and now remains unlit.

I grabbed my regular kindle, hoping to use that as a substitute in the meantime, only to find the exact same behavior. Screen frozen on critical battery, the OJ light flickered when I plugged it into power the first time, then nothing. I left my Kindle plugged in for 4 hours while I did some errands, no change.

Did both my kindle's die at once? I realize I got one for free, and I'm not gonna complain to hard, but is this a frequent issue?

Ok, have you tried plugging them in to a computer instead? Tried using a different USB cable? It sounds like your power adapter is hosed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Turin Turambar posted:

In now way the Kindle will manage with ease a 1.5GB pdf file. Hell, 1.5gb?? That's just a collection of highres scanned paged, not a truly well composed pdf.

Even a decent computer will have problems with that pdf, it will chug a bit scrolling, depending of the pdf reader used.

Nah, the Kindle DX would handle it fine. It's basically the only reason to use one. The large high res screen means it has no problems displaying almost all PDFs without scrolling, and it shouldn't have any problems flipping between pages either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hey, question: there's a book I want to read that's been released on the Kindle in the UK through Amazon.co.uk, but hasn't been released in the U.S.

Could I simply create a UK amazon account and download the book, or . . .?Any tips?

You should be able to temporarily de-register your Kindle from your US account, start a UK account, register the Kindle to that and get the book. Then, de-register the Kindle from the UK account and put it back on your US account.

The book should stay on the Kindle and work fine, since the actual DRM on a Kindle book is done per-device without awareness of your account, but it obviously won't sync last read position anymore.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Morose Man posted:

How fragile is a Kindle? Can I put it in my coat pocket and basically forget about it (ie occasionally it will get sat on, rained on, etc)?

It won't handle that well (much better if you get a case) but Amazon DOES have great customer support when you break it.

Light rain won't really matter much though, as long as you dry it off. Don't use it in a downpour tho.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you put a lot of files on, it needs to spend a lot of time to index all the files. Try leaving it plugged in for a few days, if you have hundreds of files on it will take it some time.

This is why it happened on both of your devices, they were both still indexing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah, you'll definitely need to find the email they send from and whitelist it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grawl posted:

Just got my Sony PRS-T1 in the mail. It's super light and you can actually use the e-reader while charging from USB...

You can do that with a Nook or Kindle (and probably Kobo too) by "ejecting" the drive they show up as when connected. Just in case people wanted to know how to do that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

loving hell. I bought Aloha from Hell last night on kindle cause it's the new Sandman Slim book.

The encoding is 12 shades of hosed up. I get tired of reading badly written html code and hit amazon up for a refund after I get tired of the weird random stutter of words and the book goes off into "What the holy gently caress?" land, get it from sony, and the encoding is still hosed up.

None of the stores proofread books for you, any mistake is the fault of the publisher.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doghouse posted:

Isn't the kindle dx good for pdfs?

Only because it's closer to the size of a piece of paper onscreen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah I found that. It's $30 though which is just over what I would pay to actually have them removed. I'd have paid $20.

Well, $30 is the difference in price between the ads version and the no-ads version.

It'd be a bit silly to be:
Kindle with ads: $79
Kindle with ads but you buy them away: $99
Kindle with no ads to start: $109

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xachariah posted:

I already ordered it so its no big deal, but can I send the mobi books I already have to a 4th gen kindle over wi-fi? That would be convenient.

Yes you can, although I don't understand why you wouldn't prefer to transfer your mobi collection over all at once using USB? Sending multiple emails to transfer by wifi seems to be more trouble than it's worth for transferring your collection, although it's great when you've already done that and are just adding new ones.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sperg Victorious posted:

Only if you use 3g to download. If you're using wifi, it's all free. To get around it, 3G users, can email docs to their @free.kindle.com address so it'll only be delivered over wifi.

Or you can set the "maximum fee" to 0 which means that any email you sent gets reserved for wifi.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Ereaders are a lot like ipods and mp3 players. While they make it easy to buy content, they also set you up to easily pirate that content as well, with minimal effort. When you already have a Kindle or a Nook, and some publisher puts the ebook up for $15, a lot of the more savvy users can quite easily say to hell with it and pirate, just like tracks on the iTunes store that cost too much were also there for the taking on Kazaa and such.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also, claiming that all high ebook prices are because they had to convert from print is silly. There's books coming out now that cost $15 and there's no way in hell those publishers only had paper copies of books printed in 2011.

Besides, if the publishers weren't asshats they could still be selling the books to Amazon for $15 with amazon taking a $5 loss on every copy, and have both the publisher's wallet and my wallet a little bit fuller.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sperg Victorious posted:

Except when they lower the price, more people buy the book and they make more money off the volume. So why keep the book priced so high?

Same reason that before Amazon came around, ebooks usually were priced ridiculously high - go to archive.org and type in mobipocket.com in the wayback machine thing and check out the prices ebooks were in about 2005.

For example, some random mystery book, $17.95 http://web.archive.org/web/20050618002731/http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/BookDetails.asp?BookID=24693

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Once ebook readers get prevalent enough, ebook piracy will get just as prevalent as mp3 piracy was and the ebook market will collapse until Amazon or some other provider is allowed to sell ebooks at very low cost. It's already happening to some extent.

Ebook piracy is probably already as prevalent as MP3 piracy was back in the day (Remember that most people still had dialup up until 2004 or something, mp3 piracy wasn't really viable for a lot of people). There's no reason to expect this to cause the ebook market to collapse tho, the digital music market certainly didn't collapse from piracy at any point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

I think you are getting ripped off.

edit: How does one go about becoming part of the couple-thousand-dollar ebook conversion racket?

The weirdest thing is that seems to be being made as an argument for a higher ebook price, when slashing the price would probably sell more and generate more money.

I mean I've bought absolute trash genre fiction tons of times just because it got 3 stars and was 99 cents and could enjoy it for what it was.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Anne Whateley posted:

I think it's big publishing houses' jobs specifically not to provide that. You can buy some jeans off the street or from Walmart for $5-10. Those are not good jeans. I don't want big publishers to become Rock & Republic, but I certainly think we can turn out a goddamn good pair of Levis.

This is me speaking completely as a reader: I like good books. I like amazing book covers, and thought put into interior design, and intelligent and representative cover copy, and editors who know the difference between that and which (and who'll sperg at you for hours about it). Self-published books make me sad because as a general rule, the cover looks like a seventh-grader's Powerpoint report, the interior is not even considered, and there are glaring errors that detract from the book. Authors can rarely even identify good copyeditors (because the entire point is they're trying to hire someone with skills they don't have). I would just as soon read from the slush pile or fanfiction.net as pick up a randomly chosen book someone threw on Amazon. Absolutely, there are some good ones, but I don't like my chances at all.

If you want to buy some McDonald's, go ahead -- maybe you want a bodice-ripper and you don't care if the main character's name changes every couple pages. There's a market for it, and that's fine. But if 90% of our restaurants are McDonalds, and good restaurants are having to buy low-quality food and fire their chefs and servers just to compete, that makes me sad. Again, this is just me being a selfish selfish reader.

To be a little more concrete, for plain vanilla epubs, the ranges I'm thinking about are more or less:
- $1-3 -- Guys I made a poast on the internet, look
- $6-10 -- Really professional quality, as good as we can make it
- $15-25+ -- Collectors' limited edition, bonus material, blah blah blah
Not saying this is likely, because Amazon, but I think it would be pretty reasonable.

Look, the thing is, you cited some book that cost thousands of dollars to convert and all that, and has only made $100 back. How much is that book being sold for? If it's being sold for $9.99 then obviously that price isn't working out for it. I bet you anything that if you halved the price the sales would go much higher. If you slashed the price to 99 cents, you'd probably get at least 100 people buying it for no reason other than "ooh cheap book" and that would be almost the same amount of money made selling to 10 people at 10 dollars.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WoG posted:

I like a well-designed products. Books certainly aren't excluded from that, and there are a lot more factors to design than 'pictures'. Obviously, presentation isn't what makes a book 'good', but tell me: can you truly not fathom why someone would buy something nicer than the cheapest, most-disposable mass-market-paperback edition of a given book? If you honestly can't, then yes, sorry, that is "uncultured and goony".

Seeing as how on a Kindle, I'm the one choosing the font, font size, spacing, etc - there isn't much "design" from the publishers. Just give me a book that's proofread and properly tagged up as neccesary.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slo-Tek posted:

Ok, I consumered out and bought a kindle fire. First e-book reader, first tablet thingy, second android device. So I may be dumb.

I downloaded a bunch of books from Baen.

Specifically the Vorkosigan stuff, here

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/24-CryoburnCD/CryoburnCD/

Downloaded the files to my pc, then drag-dropped them into the books directory on my kindle.

The ones that are file extension .mobi seem to work like awesome. The ones that are file extension .prc say "sync failed. try again later"

I can't even google anything useful on the phrase sync failed try again later kindle fire.

As far as I can tell, these should be free and legal and please put them on your e-book reader and enjoy them files. The faqs from both baen and amazon seem a bit thin on this.

Are the files screwy?

If this is totally the wrong place to ask say so.

Try importing the .prc files to Calibre and see if it gives you an option to "convert" them. PRC is just the generic extension for most files that went on a Palm Pilot and Mobipocket was originally mostly used on those devices. It might be that the Fire doesn't support mobipocket in prc files directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It all goes back to when publishing in another country meant shipping poo poo 2 weeks over the ocean.

• Locked thread