Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream_Filling posted:

Oh also a way to permanently turn off the backlight because I hate cool blue-white lighting and the whole point of buying an e-ink screen is to not be staring at a backlight all the time.

Well it isn't a backlight, and you really can't see the light when its turned all the way down and you're reading in a lighted room (sun or otherwise). Make sure to swipe it all the way down, it doesn't seem to want to go under 1 if you just tap the minus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Paperwhite screen (and similar recent ereaders from other companies) is 1024x768 in the 6 inch screen. The older Kindles (and older similar ereaders) were 800x600 in the same 6 inch screen.

The 63% more pixels in the same screen size is primarily a help for
1) Graphic-heavy content. Scaling images works out nicer when there's more pixels available so that less detail is lost
2) Reading with small font sizes. The extra resolution isn't too important for those who read with large text since all necessary smoothing and the like is easily handled at lower resolutions, but the smaller your text is the more having more pixels will help
3) Reading non-reflowable content. PDFs and other things where the thing you're reading might as well be a static image. Again, the extra pixels allow for better scaling or cropping while losing less detail.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fremry posted:

Yeah, you'll have to make the decision yourself, because I am the exact opposite of this. I bought an E-ink reader because it looks like paper. When you shine a light behind it, in my opinion, it looks like an old backlit cell phone screen. I find myself turning on a lamp or light very often to read my kindle, but I'd much rather do that and keep it looking like printed paper than use an internal light that kills that part of it.

The Paperwhite doesn't shine a light behind the screen. It shines it on the front of it, coming from the sides like the fancier book lights for paper books.

It's actually almost impossible to backlight an e-ink screen, due to the fact that the screen in current designs is always opaque whether it's currently black, gray or "white".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Capntastic posted:

So through a weird misadventure I've ended up with 25 Euros on Amazon.de

Can I purchase ebooks through there and have them show up on my good old American Kindle account?

What you can do is purchase books there and then strip the DRM to ensure you can use them on your Kindle, if you don't want to temporarily deregister the Kindle from your us account to put a Euro account on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nihiliste posted:

Everyone says that until they actually try the Paperwhite.

I have a Paperwhite, I'd still love to have the buttons back.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Island Nation posted:

I'm well familiar with Calibre and use it quite a bit to convert my books. I have a SDHC card with a lot of epub books and want to use it but my Kobo struggles to work with it so I wanted to see what was out there. I saw the Aura but I was looking for other opinions as well.

Where are you having problems with them? You can try opening up your EPUB books in Calibre's editor and manually splitting up the internal HTML files to lengths of less than ~260 kilobytes per segment. Some EPUB devices start to have issues the bigger the HTML segment they have to load, but the EPUB file itself can hold tons of them with no performance impact.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fremry posted:

Has anyone had their PaperWhite 2 automatically update to 5.4.3? Mine has not updated, and I've been trying to get an answer from customer service for over a week as to why it will not auto update, and the rep has given me some terrible reasons. He finally said, and I'll quote

"Our Kindle technical team has found the cause for this problem.

Since the recent Kindle software update has a larger file due to many updates, it cannot be download over the air.

The only possible way of downloading the software update is manually updating the software through USB transfer."

This sounds like an absolute lie to me, and I just want to verify that others have updated their PaperWhite 2 over wifi.

Question: how's the free space looking on your device? You might need to temporarily clear off a couple hundred megabytes of space for the update file, they can be finicky about not having lots of free space for the update process.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fremry posted:

I have 1.2 GB of free space. It just has the OS and like 5 books on it.

You're better off just downloading the update file direct from the Amazon website:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.4.3.bin

Simply place that in your kindle's storage, and then go into the settings menu on the device, there should be an active update option

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tupping Liberty posted:

Have you tried to buy a book yet? I got one of those emails with how much credit I got but I couldn't actually find it anywhere in my account, so does it just automatically spend kindle book money on things until it runs out?

Yeah, it gets auto applied to Kindle and paper book purchases on payment. Annoyingly, I can't find a way to double check balance after purchasing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Swiping and touching areas on the screen both require moving your fingers more than resting your hand right between forward and back buttons did. It works ok, but I'd love to have the buttons back.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

^burtle posted:

How bad of an idea is it to take my Paperwhite to the beach? I'm always afraid the black back is going to soak up sun and melt it.

It's not going to melt, but if you want to avoid getting sand or water ground into/on it you can simply place the kindle in a sandwich size ziplock bag and it'll still be perfectly readable and the screen will detect your fingers just fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

moflika posted:

Ugh, I thought the cheapo kindle would be safe from the touch screen invasion. If this glossy glass screen business is as annoying as I'm assuming it is, then every kindle model has now found a way to annoy me.

I guess I can just hope that the Voyage screen won't be a scrath-a-thon and that my Kindle Keyboard will last until a price drop.

Where are you seeing glossy? The Kindle Voyage has an anti-glare matte finish on the glass. Glossy finishes don't really work for monochrome displays anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have a Kindle, I don't remember the model name; it's the one without a keyboard but without touchscreen, it still has the buttons on the side.

I'm travelling to NY this week and I was thinking about upgrading it; I was just thinking about getting a paperwhite (they were upgraded in October, weren't they?) but I just noticed they put out a new model out. Is the Voyage worth it, or should I just stick with the PW?

Cheers.

The Voyage's higher resolution makes handling PDFs a lot nicer, and I really like the page press buttons on mine.

But the Voyage isn't going to be in stock again until March 20, so if you want a new kindle to use this week, you'd have to order a Paperwhite which is in stock now.

• Locked thread