Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ara
Oct 18, 2003

If you're in a roaming area (for example, anywhere besides the US), it's unbearably slow for regular use with text sites, too. Just something to use in a pinch, usually. Anki is the only thing that I've found it really useful for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

Uh, that's not true at all.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab This site shows the official coverage map. If there's dark purple it's 3G and faster, if it's light purple it's 2G so EDGE or GPRS and slower.

Japan is entirely dark purple and I can confirm that it's pretty much slow as gently caress here, for example loading a wikipedia page would probably take 1-2 minutes.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

spixxor posted:

On a somewhat related note, has anyone else noticed the trend of putting out an oversized paperback and charging twice the amount a regular, standard paperback used to cost? Irritates me to no end.

Are you talking about trade paperback vs mass market paperback? Because for 10+ years the only thing that's come out in mass market paperback is lovely scifi and romance novels, it's hardly a "trend."

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

ColdCock posted:

On the kindle, when you hit the five-way to the right twice in rapid succession, it takes you to the next chapter of the currently-open book. This is infuriating at times. Is there some way to turn that "feature" off, or a quick way to return to the page you were on when you accidentally did it?

Uh, when you press it ONCE it takes you to the next chapter. That's its entire purpose. But yeah, just hit back if you press it accidentally... though I can't imagine how you would press it accidentally.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Island Nation posted:

Calibre can convert drm free mobi to epub but azw to mobi needs the right plugin and it would require having a kindle in order to use it or so I've heard.

Nah, I don't know about Calibre plugins, but I have a program that converts azw files downloaded through Kindle for Windows to mobi files and even renames them away from the 5729565611.azw or whatever to the proper book name automatically.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

Is there a way to manually get the 3G Kindle to find 3G signals? mine seems to think that it can only get wi-fi for some reason (and yes it actually is a 3G one; the model info confirms it).

I had this problem with a replacement one. Turns out that they forgot to activate it server-side. They toggled something on their end and it connected immediately. You can type 311 at the settings screen to scan for networks to make sure the radio isn't broken.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

trandorian posted:

Additionally, the physical keyboard is always present, so I can start typing on any screen to search etc without having to invoke a menu or option to bring up the onscreen.

I love my Kindle and like the keyboard, but when I compare the amount of times that I've typed a search (probably like 10) versus the amount of times I've scrolled through the rows to look up a word in the dictionary (a shitload), a touchscreen seems pretty appealing.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

BELL END posted:

Is there a way to make the home screen only list collections? I started making collections to try to tidy it up a bit so I don't just have a list of 200+ books to scroll through, but it seems pointless as it just lists the collections in addition to the books.

Or failing this maybe only list authors rather than listing every loving book?

Edit: just realised that this is an e-reader thread not a Kindle thread. I'm using a Kindle.

If you've got it in collection view (scroll to the top of the main screen to select a view), then books in a collection shouldn't be listed outside of their collections. Highlight the collection, push right, then add/remove items and put check marks next to the ones you want to add, and then click done when you're done.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Toebone posted:

You haven't fully exploited your Kindle's potential until you have it read A Brief History of Time with the male robot voice.

Holy poo poo, I wanna try this now.

The reason I haven't gotten a Nook Touch is that Nooks are pretty much irrelevant outside of the US :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

Does anyone know when CYOAs/Interactive Fiction games are going to be available on UK kindles?

http://parchment.toolness.com/

I guess this doesn't help as much if you've only got the wifi version, but it's nice for 3G!

• Locked thread