Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Cartoon Man posted:

Kind of a dick move on Apple, but well within their rights I guess.

If Apple don't back down I reckon the courts will be the ones deciding if it's within their rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Fire In The Disco posted:

I will say, I love the bigger screen on my DX. I've never once thought, "Gee, I wish I had a smaller Kindle." It's not a pain to carry or anything.

I agree with all of this. If you can afford it I'd always recommend the DX over the 6" kindle.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Cartoon Man posted:

Would anybody pay $50 for an ad-supported kindle that displayed a full page ad every 100 pages or so that you read? Lets say that you could press the page flip button and immediately skip through it when it came up.

What if it was a $30 kindle but had an ad every 50 pages?
How about FREE but it displayed an ad every 20 pages? (But you have to immediately purchase a book or two in order to get it for free.)

I got to thinking about this the other day and wondered how cheap they would have to make it in order for me to put up with an ad showing up in the middle of my reading. We see ads all the time as we browse the web and ignore them, would we be able to do the same in the middle of reading a book? Would a cheaper price on the kindle offset that anoyance for you? I'm really not sure, I would have to test it out for a week or so to see. It may not bother me at all to immediately skip through the ad page to continue the story. Because of the e-ink screen, its not like they could have crazy strobe-effect ads blinking in your face to claim your free IPAD now!!!

As for the current ad-supported kindle, I would't pay more than a $100 for it regardless of where the ads show up.

They're cheap enough now that I would prefer to pay full price than get a free, ad-supported one. I can see why some would like a cheaper ad-supported version but really I'm not interested in saving what amounts to a handful of cents per hour by viewing ads.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Does anyone have any experience with putting multiple Kindles on the one account? My sister's just bought one and I'd like to be able to share my library with her and vice versa. Are there any downsides to doing this apart from the whole "someone else could theoretically use my CC" angle?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Awesome, looks like it'll work great then. Thanks for all the responses!

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Sticky Wheeler posted:

What's better, 3G on the Kindle, or 3G on the Nook? I just want to jailbreak/root an eBook reader and use it for email/Twitter/Wikipedia wherever since I don't have a data plan or a smartphone. Is AT&T's network more widespread than Sprint's?

If you want a tablet, get a tablet.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Sticky Wheeler posted:

I don't want a tablet, I want Wikipedia: the device that I can occasionally look up local addresses and other info on when I'm not reading on it. Or for Tweeting. I was hoping that the 3G service bundled with Kindles/Nooks is more widespread than looking for random open wifi networks with an iPod Touch.

e-ink devices are universally terrible at doing things that aren't 'reading a book'. Yes they have inbuilt browsers but trying to use them will make you want to gouge your eyes out. They're slow, the keyboards are awful and anything even remotely dynamic will just not work. If you want to do things that aren't just 'reading a book' then get a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Just make up a dummy address in the US and if the book you want isn't available in Australia then you switch to the dummy address and buy it.

Unless you use a proxy this will only work for a month, then Amazon will cut you off until you send them proof you live in the US. You don't lose the books you've bought but you will have to change you address back to buy anything else.

• Locked thread