Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

I've been reading a lot lately on my iPhone and I'm thinking about buying a Kindle because I don't want to strain my eyes any more than I have to.

Is this Kindle the one I want or will there be a new model coming out soonish? I can wait a few months, I'm in no rush.

Couple questions:

1. I've never even seen a Kindle or ebook reader in real life before. Does it really look like a book page?

2. How does the Kindle I linked to handle pdfs with equations and figures? For example this pdf: http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/CAtxtChap8.pdf. Is it readable?

3. I'm assuming reading in my bed in the dark with the lights off is impossible unless I have a lamp?

4. If I get the Kindle 3G, can I browse the regular internet with it in foreign countries (with GSM) like this blog post suggests, for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

gmq posted:

I'm in Chile and I can browse the regular internet without any problem using the US Kindle.

Would you say the internet is worth the extra $50? I was thinking at first then on long train rides I could use it to read my RSS feeds, look up information like movie times or Google Maps, or anything along those lines, but the more I think about it the less I think I should want those features because it'l distract me from reading books.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Yeah I don't think I'll go with the 3G now that I think about it. Does Target still have Kindles on display? Would like to see one in person before ordering one.

vvv yeah thats part of the reason why I was interested in the 3G version, where I live now I have a smart phone but no internet package cause I don't want to pay for it and it's too expensive on a per use basis vvv

Ziir fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2011 around 00:28

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

How do the following websites work on the browser? Google Reader, Facebook, Twitter, hell SA even.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

What's the Amazon return/exchange policy? How many days/months do I get?

What's the best way to get foreign language translations of classic works? Gutenberg?