Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

def snow leppard posted:

I think it's more likely that the howling was caused by wind rushing over your huge vagina, and he just didn't want to offend you.

The V6es after 2011 don't elicit this kind of hatred, do they? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Ugg boots posted:

I've got a 2010 V6 automatic, and it started making a howling noise from the rear end. It's still under warranty so I took it in for an inspection and they said the rear end is shot and have to rebuild the entire rear end. I couldn't get any more details out of them than that. The parts won't be in until like January (WTF?) but the warranty's covering it and he said it's still completely safe to drive on.

So, any ideas what the gently caress happened to my rear end and what I could've done to cause it (if anything)?

My WTF question is this: If the dealership is telling you that your rear-end is totally shot, how is it still completely safe to drive? The only thing I can really think of making that sound would be your rear gears, axles, or driveshaft. If one of those are totally shot, then it definitely isn't safe to drive.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Devyl posted:

My WTF question is this: If the dealership is telling you that your rear-end is totally shot, how is it still completely safe to drive? The only thing I can really think of making that sound would be your rear gears, axles, or driveshaft. If one of those are totally shot, then it definitely isn't safe to drive.

"We don't want to pay for a rental car for 2-3 months while we wait for parts".

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
yyyyeeeaaaah if there's anything making a howling noise in a bog-standard pumpkin RWD rear end it definitely is not safe to drive on for any extended period of time. Ask for specifics on what they think it is, and if it's anything even remotely major demand a rental. Anything in that rear end that could make that kind of noise is definitely not safe to drive on

dr. blanky
Dec 26, 2007

What's this hose back here, brake line? Dropped some paint thinner smelling fluid. Can I drive it to the shop?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dr. blanky fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 13, 2012

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

dr. blanky posted:

What's this hose back here, brake line? Dropped some paint thinner smelling fluid. Can I drive it to the shop?

Looks like the fuel line to me.

dr. blanky
Dec 26, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Looks like the fuel line to me.

Oh yeah? Kinda scary. Well, when I first went out there I tried burning a smudge of the liquid and it wouldn't, so I tried moving the car and lighting the whole thing up. It wouldn't catch, or only mildly. I did completely fill up my tank today.

This is a 98' Mustang with a lot of custom work done by a dude who is not me

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Weinertron posted:

The V6es after 2011 don't elicit this kind of hatred, do they? :ohdear:

Don't worry your name is wienertron. I just assume you bought one to attract 65 year old ladies for your gigolo business. You get no AI credit for anything less then a boss 302 though. Why does my spell checker contain wiener-tron as a word?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

dr. blanky posted:

Oh yeah? Kinda scary. Well, when I first went out there I tried burning a smudge of the liquid and it wouldn't, so I tried moving the car and lighting the whole thing up. It wouldn't catch, or only mildly. I did completely fill up my tank today.

This is a 98' Mustang with a lot of custom work done by a dude who is not me

Sounds like the infamous filler neck leak unless it's dripping from that spot, in which case it's just a lovely clamp or worn hose. If it's the filler neck leak, here's a start to fixing it.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 13, 2012

dr. blanky
Dec 26, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Sounds like the infamous filler neck leak unless it's dripping from that spot, in which case it's just a lovely clamp or worn hose. If it's the filler neck leak, here's a start to fixing it.

You're dead on. That hose is just a vent hose and isn't actually leaking regardless. It just looks like poo poo.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So who has a 9 month old GT with 5,000 mles that is in the shop to have the lower control arms replaced?

THIS GUY.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
What happened?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Subtle vibration in the front end on certain roads gradually got worse along with a increasing sloppyness feeling in the suspensions/steering. It's a known issue with a TSB. The Ford fix is to replace the LCAs on both sides, not just the bushings.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Is there a tow point anywhere in the front of a 2013 GT? Need one for track days and I don't want a tow hook ugh.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Tide posted:

Subtle vibration in the front end on certain roads gradually got worse along with a increasing sloppyness feeling in the suspensions/steering. It's a known issue with a TSB. The Ford fix is to replace the LCAs on both sides, not just the bushings.

Yup, had this on my wife's Mustang too at 4000 miles. Sometimes they'll just replace one side. They do the whole control arm because it's far less labour than replacing a crushed bushing (which is the problem).

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Is there a tow point anywhere in the front of a 2013 GT? Need one for track days and I don't want a tow hook ugh.

Most cars have tie down loops that can be used, but if they're extricating your car you run the risk of wrecking your bumpers or worse, tweaking the frame.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Yup, had this on my wife's Mustang too at 4000 miles. Sometimes they'll just replace one side. They do the whole control arm because it's far less labour than replacing a crushed bushing (which is the problem).

Are the parts a new revision, or if it happened once is it likely to happen again?

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Weinertron posted:

Are the parts a new revision, or if it happened once is it likely to happen again?

Okay, according to the service manager, no, the part hasn't been revised, it's a manufacturing process problem to do with the LCA bushing being properly seated. I haven't cared enough to go look but I am willing to bet that they went with a poly bushing and unless installed and tensioned perfectly it gets overstressed and collapses.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just how bad of an idea does this look like? http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3414435470.html

I may have put up an ad looking to trade my 87 MB 300d for a 5.0 fox body, and this guy is interested.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
From the pics it looks like it's a Fox Body that's had a hard life. If you're interested in it and can do so, check it out first. The engine looks run-of-the-mill but those pictures aren't exactly the best to judge from. Look all around the rear quarters and underneath for rust. Open the hatch and see if there's a musky mildew smell. The seals leak after a while, and water can get everywhere. Also check the torque box. If it's rusty or damaged, be ready to have a new one go in ASAP.

What's your end result with it? Cruiser? DD? Drag car?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Devyl posted:

From the pics it looks like it's a Fox Body that's had a hard life. If you're interested in it and can do so, check it out first. The engine looks run-of-the-mill but those pictures aren't exactly the best to judge from. Look all around the rear quarters and underneath for rust. Open the hatch and see if there's a musky mildew smell. The seals leak after a while, and water can get everywhere. Also check the torque box. If it's rusty or damaged, be ready to have a new one go in ASAP.

What's your end result with it? Cruiser? DD? Drag car?

DD, but I don't need to drive all that often, I live within walking/bus distance of everything. However, I don't have a garage, park on the street, and have very little mechanical experience/tools. Realistically I should be looking for something more practical, not less, but my inner mullet has been bothering me for months.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Be careful with that inner mullet. It led me to having 7 fox body mustangs around my house.

To be honest, mechanic-wise the fox bodies are probably one of the easier cars to learn to wrench on. They're the Lego blocks of Fords. But just check for rust, water/mildew, and how it drives if it's gonna be your DD.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Reichstag posted:

DD, but I don't need to drive all that often, I live within walking/bus distance of everything. However, I don't have a garage, park on the street, and have very little mechanical experience/tools. Realistically I should be looking for something more practical, not less, but my inner mullet has been bothering me for months.

I live in Portland now if you want someone to check it out with you. :)
Unless your trade is worth ~$750 I'd skip it based on those pics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frozenphil posted:

I live in Portland now if you want someone to check it out with you. :)
Unless your trade is worth ~$750 I'd skip it based on those pics.

I fell way behind on this thread, what happened to your Mustang restoration? Also I hope life is treating you way better than it was.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I fell way behind on this thread, what happened to your Mustang restoration? Also I hope life is treating you way better than it was.

It's on hiatus. After I got divorced I spent a year collecting my wits and figuring out what I wanted to do before I got the gently caress out of Alabama and moved across the country to Oregon last February. I'm just being a bum and looking for a job for now. Once I'm working and have a house again I'll bring my Mustang up from storage at my sister's place in Tennessee and finish it.
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm in a much better place these days. :)

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

frozenphil posted:

I got divorced

:hfive: I was there three years ago, today. I left with my Mustang and the clothes on my back. Lost over $100,000 in tools and car parts :( I'm glad to hear things are on the up & up for ya! Oh, and to answer your earlier question: Mark Gearhart runs the show now. He's a good guy and knows his poo poo.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Local dealer replaced the front LCAs; totally different car. Front end feels significantly tighter. Odd how they (bushings) deteriorated so quickly considering I don't drive on poo poo roads in my 8 mile commute every day.

Anyway, looking for a catback set up for a more aggressive sound but holy poo poo are they proud of them.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Tide posted:

Local dealer replaced the front LCAs; totally different car. Front end feels significantly tighter. Odd how they (bushings) deteriorated so quickly considering I don't drive on poo poo roads in my 8 mile commute every day.

Anyway, looking for a catback set up for a more aggressive sound but holy poo poo are they proud of them.

I just passed 28k miles on my 2011 GT. Starting to get some vibration between 45-80mph. It only seems to be really noticable on freshly/nicely paved roads. I have had my wheels balanced twice. I do have a few mods, but none should stand out for LCA's. It's a feeling like the bottom of the car is shaking, and I can see the passenger seat vibrating as well. Did your issue appear this same way?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Thanks for the advice, Mustang thread, I went the opposite direction in the end and got a 93 Chevy G20, it's got a 5.7L V8. :getin:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Aberroyc posted:

I just passed 28k miles on my 2011 GT. Starting to get some vibration between 45-80mph. It only seems to be really noticable on freshly/nicely paved roads. I have had my wheels balanced twice. I do have a few mods, but none should stand out for LCA's. It's a feeling like the bottom of the car is shaking, and I can see the passenger seat vibrating as well. Did your issue appear this same way?

No sir. It was more a very harsh, almost metallic vibration that manifested itself most noticeably on certain types of roads. When I head home today, I'll snap a picture for reference. However, the looseness/clunkiness could be felt on regular roads as well.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Thanks for the advice, Mustang thread, I went the opposite direction in the end and got a 93 Chevy G20, it's got a 5.7L V8. :getin:

Fantastic. I've spent a lot of good years inside a Vandura of similar vintage...

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
At the risk of 'what is this I don't even' posting...

:munch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ZhHTaIuyE

:suspense:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

frozenphil posted:

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm in a much better place these days. :)

Eh, its not so bad. I went through crazy poo poo in the past, now I am working on my Automotive ADDTM and as soon as that clears out of my system, I am sure I will return to ho-hum life style.

Finally fox bodies in my area are starting to drop in price. Dumb question though....

I keep seeing LX's going for the same price as GT's. Isn't the LX the same as a GT minus some ground effects? I don't know Mustangs at all to be honest.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I keep seeing LX's going for the same price as GT's. Isn't the LX the same as a GT minus some ground effects? I don't know Mustangs at all to be honest.

Notchbacks are hugely more desirable right now, but they were made in fewer numbers. Supply: demand.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would love a notchback. Don't know why since they're pretty drat ugly, but there's something about them. If I ever get a garage, I may pick up a notch 4 banger and build it up to a pseudo sleeper terror.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
What? A 90-93 LX Notch is the best looking Fox-body Stang next to an SVO, I don't know how you can be so wrong about this... :mad:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

What? A 90-93 LX Notch is the best looking Fox-body Stang next to an SVO, I don't know how you can be so wrong about this... :mad:

But I want to look like I am in the movie menance to society so I need the GT body kit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Okay, so my 06 gt w/146k miles is running rough once it gets up to operating temp. I took it to a place to get some diagnostics run, and they said that they didn't pull any codes, but they think a tune up is probably in order. That seems reasonable, but the pricetag for that is 750 bucks.

Holy hell.

Now, I'm not a veteran auto mechanic, but I do know enough to do my own basic maintenance. Why the hell is a tune up on a 3-valve 4.6l modular so expensive? Is it due to complexity, and if so, is this something I should try to do on my own?

Also, is this bullshit, is there a different reason why I'm having problems?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's a throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks approach, instead of trying harder to diagnose.

You could proceed more slowly by replacing the oldest stuff first and seeing if it helps. You might end up changing all the same things that the tuneup would replace, but at least you would know at each step that things didn't help (and eliminate possible causes).

$750 sounds like a ripoff, either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

A.o.D. posted:

Okay, so my 06 gt w/146k miles is running rough once it gets up to operating temp. I took it to a place to get some diagnostics run, and they said that they didn't pull any codes, but they think a tune up is probably in order. That seems reasonable, but the pricetag for that is 750 bucks.

Holy hell.

Now, I'm not a veteran auto mechanic, but I do know enough to do my own basic maintenance. Why the hell is a tune up on a 3-valve 4.6l modular so expensive? Is it due to complexity, and if so, is this something I should try to do on my own?

Also, is this bullshit, is there a different reason why I'm having problems?

Changing the spark plugs is hilariously awful on the 3-valve modular. It uses really long spark plugs that like to break off in the head, which then takes a special (expensive) tool to remove the broken plug. Most shops are going to charge a lot to do it because they know that most likely at least one plug is going to break. A shop near me charges $500 labor (plus parts) for plugs on the 3-valve. Have the spark plugs ever been changed? If not then that's a good place to start. 146k is a lot for original plugs.

You can do it yourself, changing plugs is not hard in and of itself, but make sure you are 110% prepared to deal with it if one breaks.