Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Halloween and/or bat related Lego chat: Can you please let me know the name/number of the set and if it's out in England? My other half would absolutely love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
So is the research set coming back out or no? I thought someone had posted a link saying they were making more, but then I saw a story on consumerist saying it was over for good: http://consumerist.com/2014/08/27/petition-asks-lego-to-realize-that-science-isnt-a-limited-time-job-for-women/

I am really upset that I missed out on this set, thinking it would be the kind of set they would keep around for awhile =(

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Ideas Blog says more are coming, and I'm glad you found a nicer article then the one entitled "gently caress You LEGO" that first alerted me to the petition.
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/17

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
http://www.brickjest.com/

A father and son are recreating the novel Infinite Jest with Lego.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Captain Invictus posted:

I got my order of two in recently. I put all three together in the same parts bin, gonna make some serious mechanisms with this stuff. :getin:

Build a dual cockpit and make it three times the size. It's only the right thing to do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dr. Benway posted:

Build a dual cockpit and make it three times the size. It's only the right thing to do.

I was actually thinking of using a similar design to this:

to create multiple smaller "droids" that would be controlled from a central location.

Also, more Turtlebots.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Halloween and/or bat related Lego chat: Can you please let me know the name/number of the set and if it's out in England? My other half would absolutely love that.

850936 is the vampire one. Suppose you could call your store and ask.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dogen posted:

850936 is the vampire one. Suppose you could call your store and ask.

Aw, it's just the Monster Fighters vampire on a stand like the wedding set :psyduck:

THIS however is perfect http://brickset.com/article/12143

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are there instructions out on how to build the Comic Con bat mobile?

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Here are photos of the actual instruction booklet: https://www.flickr.com/photos/neoape/14813479958/in/photostream/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Aw, it's just the Monster Fighters vampire on a stand like the wedding set :psyduck:

THIS however is perfect http://brickset.com/article/12143
Yep, that's the bat I saw at my Lego store. I'm pretty sure it was in a bag though.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Knormal posted:

Yep, that's the bat I saw at my Lego store. I'm pretty sure it was in a bag though.

I bought that yesterday at the LEGO Store in Burlington, MA, in the box as pictured.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forgot to post about it, but if you enjoy the Exo Suit, I recommend picking up the book authored by the creator of it. It's got lots of awesome stuff in it, plenty of interesting designs, and a few instruction manuals for small models including a Sputnik replica.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Space-Building-Peter-Reid/dp/1593275218/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_clickstream_1_dp

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Things didn't work out so well with trying to make mini-bots. So I went with the other suggestion of turning 3 Exo Suits into one BIG bot. Here's most of a leg I just finished.

Fully greebled up and detailed

Sans front armor/detailing that come off in two easily added/removed/knocked off chunks:

Underside of foot:

Showing off articulation of the ankle and knee edit: forgot to bend the knee, whoops :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 30, 2014

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Ugh I am just in awe of anyone who can make a mech on their own. I've tried and failed so many times.

Anyway that is an awesome leg.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When I make humanoid mechs, I basically picture a human's body structure and try to replicate that as best as possible. As you can see, the foot has a heel and "toes", both of which are able to move slightly, and the ankle while not exactly in the best spot(best I could achieve while staying structurally stable and able to support weight) still allows for more than up-down range of movement. Same for the knee, it only has up-down movement to allow better support. The hips will have the best range of motion I can achieve, and thanks to having so many pieces available from 3 sets I should be able to sufficiently bulk up the main body with plenty of greebles without sacrificing strength or support. There's like, 30 of these pneumatic T-pipe bits alone, it's great.

edit: I did a sort of similar thing with a "Dog-Bot" I made using a pair of old yellow Creator car sets(or it might've been a half dozen mini-excavator Creator sets, can't remember). Apologies for the very old digital camera pictures, that sucker was like, 2 megapixel. Hopefully this provides some ideas or thought processes in how to make a humanoid figure. This was all done without any actual joint pieces, only wheel-plugs and pins. Despite this, he held together remarkably well, as the posing pictures show.

Here is the structure of the legs, bare:

This is the range of motion capable of said leg, with hip attached to it at the top:

And the final product, "Dog-Bot":

Showing the possible range of motion of the completed figure:

My favorite thing to do with Legos nowadays is to build something within the confines of a single set(or multiple copies of a single set, such as the Exo-Suits or Benny's Spaceships).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 30, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Anyone have any idea how this engine cowling cylinder was made? I'm racking my brain trying to figure it out. I can think of similar methods but I have no idea how each slice of the cylinder can be held so close together.

From here:
http://www.mocpages.com/image_zoom.php?mocid=395531&id=/user_images/91695/14089770213

Maybe a flexible piece inserted in between the studs??

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 30, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My first guess based on squinting at the other pictures would be there is a round plate in there, and the 1x2 clips are stuck to the edge of it between the two studs.

It's probably rickety as hell, one wrong touch causes the whole thing to explode.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

My first guess based on squinting at the other pictures would be there is a round plate in there, and the 1x2 clips are stuck to the edge of it between the two studs.

It's probably rickety as hell, one wrong touch causes the whole thing to explode.
This is the case for most illegal connections. That's why they're considered illegal by Lego, they are either structurally unsound or cause stress to the pieces. Most of my builds often have a core structure but a lot of the outer shell or detailing is incredibly finicky, the Spaceship X6 Viper for example, literally at least half of the build time was actually reassembly time as stuff popped off or fell apart under its own weight, which is why I disassembled it only a day after it was completed. I loved the look but was disgusted by the fragility of it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Alright, my Dark Side book came early with an order of my wife's granola bars from Amazon! I am the first kid on my block with the new Emperor!

Also the book seems pretty fun, I was pleasantly surprised when I grabbed the batman one on sale for Electro Batman and this seems similarly good.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Captain Invictus posted:

When I make humanoid mechs, I basically picture a human's body structure and try to replicate that as best as possible. As you can see, the foot has a heel and "toes", both of which are able to move slightly, and the ankle while not exactly in the best spot(best I could achieve while staying structurally stable and able to support weight) still allows for more than up-down range of movement. Same for the knee, it only has up-down movement to allow better support. The hips will have the best range of motion I can achieve, and thanks to having so many pieces available from 3 sets I should be able to sufficiently bulk up the main body with plenty of greebles without sacrificing strength or support. There's like, 30 of these pneumatic T-pipe bits alone, it's great.

edit: I did a sort of similar thing with a "Dog-Bot" I made using a pair of old yellow Creator car sets(or it might've been a half dozen mini-excavator Creator sets, can't remember). Apologies for the very old digital camera pictures, that sucker was like, 2 megapixel. Hopefully this provides some ideas or thought processes in how to make a humanoid figure. This was all done without any actual joint pieces, only wheel-plugs and pins. Despite this, he held together remarkably well, as the posing pictures show.

Here is the structure of the legs, bare:

This is the range of motion capable of said leg, with hip attached to it at the top:

And the final product, "Dog-Bot":

Showing the possible range of motion of the completed figure:

My favorite thing to do with Legos nowadays is to build something within the confines of a single set(or multiple copies of a single set, such as the Exo-Suits or Benny's Spaceships).

This is some good advice, thanks.

I'll probably have to employ some of it soon. I started building some X-Com stuff (am I nuts/stupid in not being able to find any X-Com Lego? I did a google image search and then another through Flickr) and I'll have to make some mech suits soon, no doubt. I'll at least have to employ some mech methods to put together the larger alien types. Right now I've got about 75% of a Skyranger done. I've found I really dislike the dark brown/green shade of gray; it looks just like dark gray in the right light (i.e. looking casually and not paying attention).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you mean XCOM MOCs, they exist, I've definitely seen them, but there's not a whole lot, no.

Here's some advice when making joints: almost anything can be made into a joint, just assemble it in a way that allows movement. Even a bunch of 2x4 stud plates, they can be turned into a fairly sturdy joint if layered right, hell, even the standard 2x4 stud Lego Brick can be made into a joint of sorts with three of them(it'll suck, but it can be). They're not really kosher in Lego's eyes, but gently caress it, you're making MOCs. Just make sure it can support weight and if it's important to you, that it can be hidden by greebles/armor.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 31, 2014

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Even though I haven't played in months, I still enjoy Planetside 2:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Guzwar posted:

Even though I haven't played in months, I still enjoy Planetside 2:

Make a Valkyrie :black101:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I'm still in need of three Simpsons minifigs. Flanders, Ralph, and Itchy. If anyone has any extras of these they'd sell or trade me I'd be eternally indebted to you.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Pretty good sale over on Amazon for some of the Castle sets. 33% off I think. Maybe worth it if you have prime or get enough of them.

Edit: on a second look it seems they're not all 33%, though King's Castle is 15% and the dragon one is 23% I believe.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 1, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Continued working on the super suit, made a second leg, had to remodel the feet a bit since I overused a particular part, made the hips and lower torso. Added some greebles to the hips/crotch because it was bare otherwise, still need to add more for bulk but I'll get to that later. Hips rotate and have ball sockets as well. Also pictured, the pilots(designed to hopefully both fit in the cockpit together if all goes as planned, as per request) and the beginnings of the upper torso.

Back shot, includes energy reactor and booster.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Looks great. Though I suggest that you really should be building a giant turtlebot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lizard Combatant posted:

Looks great. Though I suggest that you really should be building a giant turtlebot

I already did that, it was the very first thing I did upon opening the first Exo-Suit box! :haw:

Captain Invictus posted:

Exo Suits? Who needs them when you've got TURTLEBOT XT4

edit: in fact you were the first reply quoting me after that post!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Invictus posted:

I already did that, it was the very first thing I did upon opening the first Exo-Suit box! :haw:

edit: in fact you were the first reply quoting me after that post!

I meant a GIANT turtlebot ;)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lizard Combatant posted:

I meant a GIANT turtlebot ;)

Eh, maybe later!

For now, I went back and did some more work and made an arm, hand, and connected the upper torso. That's it for now though. I'll have to do some tweaking for stability, especially in the shoulder, which is connected to the torso by a single black pin. Black pins are tight, but it's not tight enough to keep the arm stable when it's in most poses.

Hand closeup, open and closed

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Bought the Kashyyyk Troopers set and was kind of miffed that all 4 come with the same headpiece. Then I remembered they're all clones :downs: Still, a different expression wouldn't have gone amiss...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Loving the Pacific Rim prototype Exo Suit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The leaked 2015 sets list:

LEGO DC Super Heroes 2015

76025 – Green Lantern vs. Sinestro
76026 – Gorilla Grodd Goes Bananas
76027 – Black Manta Deep Sea Strike
76028 – Darkseid Invasion
76029 – Brainiac Attack

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Avengers Age of Ultron

No full sets details available at this time for the Rumored 5 sets.

LEGO Pirates 2015

70409 – Shipwreck Defense
70410 – Soldiers’ Outpost
70411 – Treasure Island
70412 – Soldiers’ Fort
70413 – The Brick Bounty

LEGO Elves 2015

41071 – Aira’s Creative Workshop
41072 – Naida’s Spa Secret
41073 – Naida’s Adventure Ship
41074 – Azari & The Magic Bakery
41075 – Treetop Hideaway
41076 – Farran & The Crystal Hollow

LEGO Jurassic World 2015

Confirmation that this will be a theme in 2015. No set details available yet, wait for toy fair 2015

LEGO Star Wars 2015

Star Wars Rebels

75078 – Imperial Troop Transport
75082 – TIE Advanced Prototype
75083 – AT-DP
75084 – Wookie Gunship
75090 – Ezra’s Speeder Bike

Microfighters

75072 – ARC-170 Starfighter
75073 – Vulture Droid
75074 – Snowspeeder
75075 – AT-AT
75076 – Republic Gunship
75077 – Homing Spider Droid

PT/OT
75079 – Shadow Troopers
75080 – AAT
75081 – T-16 Skyhopper
75085 – Hailfire Droid
75087 – Anakin’s Custom Jedi Starfighter
75089 – Geonosis Troopers

LEGO Architecture 2015

21022 – Lincoln Memorial
21023 – Flatiron Building

LEGO Bionicle 2015

70778 – Defender of Jungle
70779 – Defender of Stones
70780 – Defender of Water
70781 – Defender of Land
70782 – Defender of Ice
70783 – Defender of Fire
70784 – Lewa Master of Jungle
70785 – Pohatu Master of Stones
70786 – Gali Master of Water
70787 – Tahu Master of Fire
70788 – Kopaka Master of Ice
70789 – Onua Master of Land
70790 – Lord of Skull Spiders

LEGO City 2015

Police
60065 – ATV Patrol
60066 – Swamp Police Starter Set
60067 – Helicopter Pursuit
60068 – Crooks Hideout
60069 – Swamp Police Station
60071 – Police Hovercraft

Construction
60072 – Demolition Starter Set
60073 – Service Truck
60074 – Bulldozer
60075 – Excavator & Truck
60076 – Demolition Site

Great Vehicles
60081 – Pickup Tow Truck
60082 – Dune Buggy Trailer
60083 – Snowplow Truck
60084 – Racing Bike Transporter
60085 – 4×4 with Powerboat
60088 – Fire Starter Kit

LEGO Collectable Minifigures 2015

71008 – Collectable Minifigures Series 13
71009 – Simpsons Collectable Minifigures Series 2

LEGO Creator 2015

31027 – Blue Racer
31028 – Sea Plane
31029 – Cargo Helicopter
31030 – Red Go-Kart
31031 – Rainforest Animals
31032 – Red Creatures
31033 – Vehicle Transporter
31034 – Future Flyer
31035 – Beach Hut
31036 – Toy & Grocery Shop

LEGO Disney Princess 2015

41060 – Sleeping Beauty’s Royal Bedroo
41061 – Jasmine’s Exotic Adventure
41062 – Elsa’s Sparkling Ice Castle
41063 – Ariel’s Undersea Palace

LEGO Friends 2015

41085 – Bunny & Babies
41086 – Mobile Pet Care
41087 – Rabbit Mother With Babies
41088 – Puppy Training
41089 – Foal Care Stable
41090 – Olivia’s Garden Pool
41091 – Mia’s Sports Car
41092 – Stephanie’s Pizzeria
41093 – Heartlake Hair Salon
41094 – Heartlake Lighthouse
41095 – Emma’s Family Home
41097 – Heartlake Balloon
41162 – Friends Animals Series 6
Vet Ambulance
Vet Clinic

LEGO Juniors 2015

Beach Trip
Pirate Treasure Hunt
Garbage Truck
Fire Suitcase
Supermarket Suitcase

LEGO Legends of Chima 2015

70220 – Strainor’s Saber Cycle
70221 – Flinx’s Ultimate Phoenix
70222 – Tormak’s Shadow Blazer
70223 – Icebite’s Claw Driller
70224 – Tiger’s Mobile Command
70229 – Lion Tribe Pack
70230 – Ice Bear Tribe Pack
70231 – Crocodile Tribe Pack
70232 – Saber-tooth Tiger Tribe Pack
Unknown Legends of Chima Set 1
Unknown Legends of Chima Set 2

LEGO Mixels 2015

65103 – Mixels Series 4

The LEGO Movie 2015

70817 – Batman & Super-Angry Kitty
70818 – Double-Decker Couch
70819 – Bad Cop’s Police Car

LEGO Ninjago 2015

70745 – Anacondrai Crusher
70746 – Anacondrai Copter Attack
70747 – Cole’s Boulder Blaster
70748 – Titanium Dragon
70749 – Temple of Anacondrai
70750 – Mobile Ninja Base
70751 – Unknown Ninjago Set
70752 – Jungle Trap
70753 – Lava Falls
70754 – Jay’s Electro-Mech
70755 – Lloyd’s Jungle Raider

LEGO Supercars 2015

75899 – LaFerrari
75908 – 458 Italia GT2
75909 – McLaren P1
75910 – Porsche 918 Spyder
75911 – McLaren Mercedes Pitstop
75912 – Porsche 911 GT Finish
75913 – F14 & Scuderia Ferrari

LEGO Technic 2015

42032 – Compact Tracked Loader
42033 – Record Breake
42034 – Quad Bike
42035 – Mining Truck
42036 – Street Motorcycle
42037 – Formula Off-Roader
42038 – Arctic Truck
42039 – 24 Hours Race Car

LEGO Ultra Agents 2015

70166 – Spyclops Infiltration
70167 – Invisible Gold Robbery
70168 – Drillex Diamond Theft
70169 – Secret Agents Secret Use
70170 – UltraCopter vs. AntiMatter

LEGO DUPLO 2015

Ice Cream Van
My First Tractor
Rally Car
Airport
Cafe
My First Farm
My First Playhouse
Creative Building Box
Sofia the 1st Royal Stable
Sofia the 1st Royal Castle

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

70818 – Double-Decker Couch

Whatt?

Sad there is no submarine for the Lego Movie set.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Would it be too much to hope that the couch comes with heads for all the minifigs so it has a "we're stuck at ocean" configuration? :v:

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

I really hope this is a continuation of 31026 Bike Shop & Cafe. I love the modulars, and I love the Creator modulars as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mine GO BOOM posted:

I really hope this is a continuation of 31026 Bike Shop & Cafe. I love the modulars, and I love the Creator modulars as well.

That was my hope on seeing that one too. Totally in favour of it. My birthday is in a month and I'm probably going to treat myself to the Bike Shop. Or the Mini. Or the SPACESHIP. Or the Haunted House if they still have it. So many plastic bricks need my money. :(

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The leaked 2015 sets list:

LEGO Supercars 2015

75899 – LaFerrari
75908 – 458 Italia GT2
75909 – McLaren P1
75910 – Porsche 918 Spyder
75911 – McLaren Mercedes Pitstop
75912 – Porsche 911 GT Finish
75913 – F14 & Scuderia Ferrari

All of these will be mine :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mine GO BOOM posted:

A lot of people are worried that this is the new model for the modular's and they are doing away with the bigger ones.