Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I think there were reports of some batches of plastic in the recent sets not being as good, but I can't find any links right now. The only pieces I have had break are 20-30 year old technic connectors and bushings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Digital War posted:

I always felt stuff like this was part of the reason Lego started to get into trouble. Their set designs got so bad in the late 90s. The year the Lego catalogue was filled with these was the first year I didn't buy any Lego. I made the switch to Technic for a bit but that didn't last.
Contrast it with the previous Octan garage. It was one of my favourite city sets as a kid.

Wow, that set is awful. Even for 125 pieces, it's terrible. It's like it's from the mid-70s. And brickset says its MSRP was $24!

Even 2 years earlier, Octan Gas Stop-Shop had better design, better piece variety, and a better price.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Might just be the plastic. I built the Ecto-1 a couple days ago, and one of the clips that holds the blue hose on had already cracked, and now it doesn't hold it nearly as tight. I don't think it would be worth it to bother asking Lego for a replacement, but it was still kind of annoying. I wonder if different colours are affected differently.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They weren't all poo poo!

Look at this bad boy, which also came out in 1997.

They were probably just really high that year though because you'd need drugs to make this:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

To be fair, that's Model Team which is probably my absolute favorite thing Lego's ever done.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Whirl'N'Wheel Supertruck is probably my favorite official Lego set. It's just so loving massive and has tons of neat parts, and the altmode is interesting too. Mach II Red Bird Rig is great as well.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

xzzy posted:

They weren't all poo poo!

They were probably just really high that year though because you'd need drugs to make this:

I had that at one point, and would like to again. Any idea what the set it called or what set number it is?

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 20, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

anotherblownsave posted:

I had that at one point, and would like to again. Any idea what the set it called or what set number it is?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=6496-1

Can get one for about $20!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=4534
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=4533

Well poo poo, Model Team stuff is pretty inexpens--

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=4529

:saddowns:

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Apologies if this isn't the best place to ask -- if so, I'll delete my post and continue on my way.

So, I'm moving to a much smaller living space and need to part with some Legos (hopefully this will allow me to break the curse for at least a few more years). What's the strategy for selling a collection as a whole? What's the average asking price for a collection of Legos?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you need to sell it quickly, craigslist and an attractive price is probably the best bet.

Figuring out the price is gonna take homework though.. get an estimate by checking set prices on bricklink.

But don't sell your legos. Guarantee you'll want them back someday. Find a way to store it. :v:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Gravy Jones posted:

Sorry... Science Museum 4 Lyfe.

I wouldn't mind getting the Micromanager set but that's going to go so fast tomorrow I'm not sure I can be bothered. I'm digging that Star Wars set though. Looks like a really neat little build.

I love the (Arctic?) plane thing in the upper left. Are these sets independently for sale? Do they normally show up on ebay? How can I get this?

1833Marine
May 7, 2006

YAT YAS
Target has the arctic plane set. It should be in the Halloween section with the batwing poly bag set and other small toys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

But don't sell your legos. Guarantee you'll want them back someday. Find a way to store it. :v:
This. You will regret it eventually. If it's a situation where you can't afford it UNLESS you sell them, that's a different story, but if it's just an issue of space, find someplace to store them/a trustworthy friend or family member who can hold onto them for you. Disassemble sets and store them neatly in bags and then into bins if you want to keep them separated.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Saradiart posted:

Apologies if this isn't the best place to ask -- if so, I'll delete my post and continue on my way.

So, I'm moving to a much smaller living space and need to part with some Legos (hopefully this will allow me to break the curse for at least a few more years). What's the strategy for selling a collection as a whole? What's the average asking price for a collection of Legos?

A 'collection' can be priced higher, but you're less likely to sell. Selling sets individually is the way to get the best prices, but it's the most work. Selling it all as a bulk mixed lot is the fastest and easiest way, but people aren't going to be willing to pay more than $10/pound. You'll get resellers trying to lowball you so they can make a tidy profit, especially if you leave tantalizing pieces visible.

An old collection (80s, early-mid 90s) would probably have the best value, but you probably can't expect to sell an '04 City collection for MSRP.

But, yeah, the best choice is to not sell them.
Or let me 'borrow' them.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Captain Invictus posted:

This. You will regret it eventually. If it's a situation where you can't afford it UNLESS you sell them, that's a different story, but if it's just an issue of space, find someplace to store them/a trustworthy friend or family member who can hold onto them for you. Disassemble sets and store them neatly in bags and then into bins if you want to keep them separated.

When I moved to a smaller place I got a special box for it and gave the lot to my girlfriends aunt, cause she has three little boys, but told her I'm a huge manchild and will want them back at some point.

The kids were actually really fastidious about it (they kept their own sets built anyway, so mine was a communal pile to build whatever with) but it turns out it's actually really hard to take toys away from children so I just gave it them after a while.

Don't do what I did basically.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The Wizard from the new mini figure series is incredible, so worth the $4 price point on that figure, the details in the paint and the cape just make that guy look amazing. I was complaining about the price point before, but if Lego keeps making figures with that much detail, I am OK with the price. Plus the Wizard looks pretty bad rear end with a flame Lego coming out if his other hand.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rythe posted:

The Wizard from the new mini figure series is incredible, so worth the $4 price point on that figure, the details in the paint and the cape just make that guy look amazing. I was complaining about the price point before, but if Lego keeps making figures with that much detail, I am OK with the price. Plus the Wizard looks pretty bad rear end with a flame Lego coming out if his other hand.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the build quality has improved massively on this series as well

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the build quality has improved massively on this series as well

Maybe they're not coming from China this time? I still haven't seen them in the UK, but I'm sure it won't be long.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You can make any quality of stuff in China, you just have to pay for it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe they're not coming from China this time? I still haven't seen them in the UK, but I'm sure it won't be long.

There in the Manchester Lego store, no where else yet from what I can tell.

And these ones don't have the mould lines on the arms like previous series.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Just so irritating to spend $4 on a mini figure when for $4-$5 you can get a mixel, polybag, or the friends animal, which has so much more value and replayability.

Of course I'm probably going to go blow $40 on them anyway since my kids have circled drat near every one of them, and I still need to spend another $40 or so after Advent Calendars at the Lego store October 1st, to get that free holiday promo (unless they end up getting the research institute in).

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
any friendly UK goons able to help out

This week I'm without my car and have no way getting my hands on the polybags from the newspaper, if y'all anything like me and get 2 or 3 papers so to have a couple of spares. If anyone is able to help can i arrange to buy a set of the ploys from monday to friday?

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I wonder if they do these promos at a loss in the hope of getting more regular readers.
Either way, not even free lego will see me buy that awful rag of a paper. It should be left to die humanely (like all newspapers).

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Griever posted:

I wonder if they do these promos at a loss in the hope of getting more regular readers.
Either way, not even free lego will see me buy that awful rag of a paper. It should be left to die humanely (like all newspapers).

I always assumed they did that to then use that weeks numbers when selling advertising for the rest of the year.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

You know you all want this.

http://geekyjerseys.com/product.php?id=199

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sure as hell not for $100.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
It'd take Ice Planet 2002 to get me to buy that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately that's an ugly as hell jersey.

I bought a Ghostbusters one from them last year that owns though. :v:

(they're absurdly well made, if any article of clothing is worth $100, those jerseys are)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Griever posted:

Just ask That One Colleague who buys the Daily Mail if you can have their voucher. You know who I'm talking about.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Jerseys are expensive as hell no matter what logo is on them, hell the Seahawks jersey I bought my father-in-law last year was $150

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
I got a couple of t-shirts from Red Bubble recently: M-Tron, Ice Planet. The printing was decent on the Ice Planet one, less good on the M-Tron (a couple of bits where the red shirt shows through the black). Somewhat cheaper than that jersey though.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I've been working on a castle of sorts for a while now, I've been poaching parts from various smells sets I've found on eBay for relatively cheap. It's finally at a point I feel I can share a picture.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

If there's enough interest I'll sell a limited run of classic space tees for $20 and I can promise the printing will be good and the shirts soft.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

tactical_grace posted:

I got a couple of t-shirts from Red Bubble recently: M-Tron, Ice Planet. The printing was decent on the Ice Planet one, less good on the M-Tron (a couple of bits where the red shirt shows through the black). Somewhat cheaper than that jersey though.

Oh my god, a Globex shirt. And POLICE. And Blacktron!

Fayez Butts posted:

If there's enough interest I'll sell a limited run of classic space tees for $20 and I can promise the printing will be good and the shirts soft.

Willing to ship to Canada? And what shirt colours?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fayez Butts posted:

Tell me more

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

Take my money please.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Guzwar posted:

Oh my god, a Globex shirt. And POLICE. And Blacktron!

I have a couple Pacific Rim shirts from there and my wife has a bobs burgers shirt and hoodie. I don't know how they get around the licensing problems, but they are all really good quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fayez Butts posted:

I'd be in if you're willing to ship international.