Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I think I stopped before ball joint pieces were common. Luckily, my brother got several sets that have the clicking ones, so that should be good. I really wish I could find the single balls though... That would be useful.

Off to bricklink with you:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=57909b

I see a US seller with 580 of them for sale, 3 cents each (which is a ridiculous low price for a single lego brick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

There also 6862, Superman vs.Power Armor Lex, which is a solid $20 ball and socket mech with a couple awesome minifigs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Aim for the stars, friend.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Krazyface posted:

The new modular's been announced, officially this time. There's a bunch of really detailed interior pictures here.

e: the Wanted sign describes the subject as having black eyes, 42 mm tall, weighing 3.4 grams.

And there's been some sort of nuclear explosion according to that paper!?! And everything costs 100 bucks?!?!

Lego Obama! :argh:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

rickiep00h posted:

Aim for the stars, friend.

I really love this guy's work. I found his flickr yesterday and was just blown away.

Here's my progress on a mech I'm working on right now. Again, I'm just using whatever colors and parts I can find, but I'm already learning a ton of tricks.

I'm currently in the middle of sorting my bricks. What methods and containers do you guys use? I'm getting sick of those giant boxes where you have to search for half an hour.

edit: Jesus I have a lot of gray parts. I blame George Lucas!

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 25, 2014

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

I'm currently in the middle of sorting my bricks. What methods and containers do you guys use? I'm getting sick of those giant boxes where you have to search for half an hour.

edit: Jesus I have a lot of gray parts. I blame George Lucas!

Sort by type and size, do not under any circumstance sort by color.

It is much easier to find a black 2x4 brick in a tub of many colors of 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 etc bricks than it is to find it in a tub full of plates, wedges, pins, tiles etc of the same color.

How many "categories" you want is up to you, there are like 17000 different Lego pieces in hundreds of categories.

I have sorted into:
-Plates that are 1 wide and any length 4 or longer
-Plates that are 2 wide and any length 4 or longer
-Plates that are larger than 2x4
-All 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 plates
(All of the above for bricks as well)
-Bricks with angles (e.g. roof tiles)
-Plates with angles (wedges and wings)
-Round thin things (technic pins, bars)
etc

The specialization of your sorting method only depends on how much space you have in your home and how much effort you put into it.
Have a look here for the different categories of parts.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Where do you keep your flats? I'm thinking I should keep them separate from the plates, but I'm not sure.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Where do you keep your flats? I'm thinking I should keep them separate from the plates, but I'm not sure.

Each of the lines i wrote is a different "tub" of Lego, sorry if that wasn't clear. By "flats" i suppose you mean plates that are just 1-2 studs wide?
That would be this tub: "-All 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 plates"

More general sorting guidelines:
Avoid big size differences in parts. Dont mix 6x16 plates with 2x2 plates. When sorting for storage you want to fragment your parts as much as possible, for easier retrieval. However, when building something, particularly from an official set (ie you are pouring the contents into tubs) just go by general shape and size.

I recently built the UCS Millennium Falcon, and it was sorted with the following priority:
-Any beam and 2-stud-wide flat 10 studs or longer
-Any plate 4x4 or larger, and wedges/wings 4+ studs wide
-All dark bluish gray and black pieces
-All Non-gray/black pieces (white, tan, red, dark red, transblue, yellow)
-All light bluish gray flats 2x2 or larger, flats 1x3 or larger, and beams 1x3 or larger
-All other pieces

The "all other pieces" tub had a huge array of different parts, and a huge amount of parts of different shapes and sizes in general. (2x2 round brick, 45 deg slopes, 33 deg slopes, arches, bars, pins, all kinds of small doodads. Maybe around 2000 pieces, with 100-130 different ones? Surprisingly it was the easiest tub to find parts in, as the tiny pieces would fall to the bottom so whenever i needed a tap or 1x1 round plate or something i just dug my way to the bottom and there was a layer of them right there. Or if i needed a 2x2 round brick i went to the middle of the tub :) Anyways, the point is that it is not that difficult to find certain pieces hidden among a huge amount of other pieces, as long as they look quite different. Finding that 1x4 among all the 1x3s, 1x4s, 1x6s and 1x8s however can be difficult.

Wow i just :spergin:'ed on about sorting Legos...

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 25, 2014

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
The Birds idea set is already revealed. $45, 580 pieces, comes out in January as a set with 3 birds:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are really good models, but my enthusiasm level is basically zero.

Guess it's a good source of wing plates in odd colors.. shame they didn't make the yellow flower with left and right wedges though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The birds look like they will be interesting to build. Really no flat base.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

$45 for 580 pieces is a bit much, right? Like, well above the average?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What, no

That's way less than ten cents a piece, $45 for 450 pieces would be "standard".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, here's a $70 Star Wars set with less pieces: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Jek-14-s-Stealth-Starfighter-75018

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

smackfu posted:

Yeah, here's a $70 Star Wars set with less pieces: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Jek-14-s-Stealth-Starfighter-75018

Licensed sets, Star Wars in particular, are an outlier due to licensing costs being bundled into price. But anything less than 10 cents a piece is considered "good"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So apparently the Lego video for the Detective Agency has a tiny shot of what mayyyyy be the Helicarrier.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/did-lego-leak-the-rumored-shield-helicarrier-1662869026

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ixnay posted:

The Birds idea set is already revealed. $45, 580 pieces, comes out in January as a set with 3 birds:

They're impressive builds, but man they look boring once they're done. I'd probably be interested if they had joints for movable heads and wings, but I'm just not interested in what it basically Lego sculpture. Even though all my stuff just sits untouched on a shelf anyway.

How are they connecting that flower to the stem, assuming they're using approved methods? Is there one of those "tail" pieces that end in anything besides a tapering tip?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Random article on the BBC today about lego sets being uncreative and not requiring many parts..?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29992974

I am glad most of the commentators are totally against that point, and there is some interesting info about the 2000's era. They reported £386m this year, which is mad. Apparently they are only behind Hasbro in terms of the largest toy company in the world. It costs £36k ($50k) to set up a new mold and produce a newly shaped part for mass production.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The goblin and the evil mage look so cool!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I bet that cthulhu head is gonna be extremely pricy in the resale market :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tentacle face is pretty boss too.

That hotdog is gonna resell for a million dollars.

Looks like a pretty easy series to find by bag squishing, which is good.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mitochondritom posted:

The goblin and the evil mage look so cool!

This looks to be one of the better series so far!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
gently caress I still need to get any of S12

Lego is getting so good at pumping out the sets that I am starting to kind of get annoyed. First world Lego nerd problem.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Burger King versus Hotdog Man!

Pretty decent series, although the space guy seems pretty :geno:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh sweet, brown afro. Now we need some non-Jack Sparrow dreads, Lego.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Burger King versus Hotdog Man!

Pretty decent series, although the space guy seems pretty :geno:

The torso armor looks like a new piece though, its not the harness thing they stuck on the last three.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That series looks awesome. With a little customization, you could totally make a Zoidberg out of that alien.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

The torso armor looks like a new piece though, its not the harness thing they stuck on the last three.

I think its the Kryptonian armour from the Man of Steel sets.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I could do with the hot dog guy and not much else. I wish they would space these out more.

Does anyone have a series #12 gamer guy to trade or sell?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
That hot dog guy is going to be so easy to feel out it is going to be sold out at like every store within the first day.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

ElwoodCuse posted:

I could do with the hot dog guy and not much else. I wish they would space these out more.

Does anyone have a series #12 gamer guy to trade or sell?

Yep. You in the states? Pig guy is the only one I need from that series so I'd do a straight trade for that.

e: I keep meaning to post a couple spaceships I made the other week. I can't get enough over-engineered moving parts!

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 27, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Rad ships, man.

Working through my legos and it's going... okay. I bought some storage containers to put away some pieces.I still haven't found any suitable containers for the bigger pieces, though.

The mech is doing well too. The legs are giving me a headache, though.

Sorting my Legos has it's benifits, though. I'm really digging building small things.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Does anyone know what type of fabric the capes, etc, are made out of?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Pretty sure it's acrylic coated broadcloth. If you're looking at making your own, broadcloth and acrylic medium are both easy to come by and cheap.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Never not post spaceships

I finally broke down a Cosmic Fleet Voyager and my old X-Wing (bought at the onset of my dark ages and soon abandoned) and combined it with a whole bunch of used classic space Lego. This is the first thing I'm building, mostly to try out some upside down techniques. The front is made from one of those classic spaceship cockpit bottoms together with some boat hull piece, held in place upside down using the wing joints from the X-Wing. The cockpit is one of those city double windows that were widely used in classic space.

It's ugly, overpowered, a mix of scales and desperately needing a giant fuckoff gun hanging from the nose. That's what I'm building next. :science:

Electrophotonic fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 28, 2014

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

ixnay posted:

These are the best Lego sets I've seen in years and I'm probably going to buy several knowing me. :goshawk:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Anyone have instructions / piece list to make a new radar dish for the the Falcon, based on the Force Awakens trailer? I want to (temporarily) swap the dish on my 7965.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ville Valo posted:

Anyone have instructions / piece list to make a new radar dish for the the Falcon, based on the Force Awakens trailer? I want to (temporarily) swap the dish on my 7965.

No piece list, but the one I just built is 3x6. Everything else looked too tall or too wide. The problem is with 7965 itself. Even after lengthening and widening the mandibles myself, the whole thing still looks off. The new dish just makes the off proportions even more obvious. Hopefully next year we get a better large Falcon.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 29, 2014

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Speaking of the Force Awakens, I can't wait to pick up a lego version of the new X-wing. That thing looks so dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I bet MY GIRLFRIEND will even let me put these somewhere besides the LEGO dungeon!