Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Now I just realized that if Del Toro's Haunted Mansion film ever gets made, there could be a UCS of the Mansion. I desperately want it to be a thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
UCS jaegers

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

bloodysabbath posted:

They'd be nuts not to do a UCS castle at some point.

If they made another Castle series, and made a castle of similar detail to the Temple of Airjitzu, then I'd buy it instantly.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Were you referring to a UCS of that big fuckoff castle at Disneyland? That would outsell every other UCS set by a factor of five

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Public Service Announcement: Donald Duck's beak on his head feels an awful lot like Syndrome's hair! :\

At least I got Buzz on a correct pull.. <3

Also:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2016/05/27/nerf-this-d-vas-mech-from-overwatch/

Anyone an Overwatch Fan? SO loving COOL!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So I've been buying and building Lego for a couple years now but I have made zero MOCs since I was literally a child. What's the simplest way to learn to make stuff that doesn't look like utter shite? I've really loved the Star Wars Microfighter range and I'm sorely tempted to grab that designer program and try to make some of the ships they've skipped over, but I am dreadful at that sort of thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get an idea and make it. Google for builds similar to your idea and get technique ideas. Or remake an existing set. Or browse Flickr for Lego until you spot something you like and copy it with your own spin.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Feenix posted:

Public Service Announcement: Donald Duck's beak on his head feels an awful lot like Syndrome's hair! :\

Literally the most first-world problem I've heard in months.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Apollodorus posted:

Literally the most first-world problem I've heard in months.

I was being a little silly about it but yes you are indeed correct. :D

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I've been buying and building Lego for a couple years now but I have made zero MOCs since I was literally a child. What's the simplest way to learn to make stuff that doesn't look like utter shite? I've really loved the Star Wars Microfighter range and I'm sorely tempted to grab that designer program and try to make some of the ships they've skipped over, but I am dreadful at that sort of thing.

I am in the same boat. I've been back since '12 and haven't done any MOCs because that part of my brain is long dead. I saw some people combine Avengers towers so I bought 3 to put together, but the project is unnerving me because I have been so poo poo at making vehicles and robots. Good Luck, buddy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Honestly, I'm still at that stage. I buy sets I like and modify them beyond the lego constraints of piece counts, stability, playability, etc... My Emerald Night is far more accurate (in my mind) to a real loco but with modifications that would never pass lego standards, the closest I get to mocs is something like additional carriages (I'm turning it into a ww2 troop and vehicle carrier) or dioramas for minifigs. Start small and just improve existing sets.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I wanna do some Lego artsy stuff and am debating whether I want to Bricklink, PAB or see if I can get something like a K-box from a Lego store.

Perks of Bricklink is (most likely) my choice of selection and colors. (And maybe price...)

PAB is simplicity ( but limited current selection and best value = a master's degree in tetromino placement.

A K-Box: if they will sell me one is a lot of the same kind of Brick but limited to what they have available (and not exceeding the variety of their current PAB wall.)

Thoughts? (If any?)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just do it all, build your collection up slowly as you find gaps in your selection.

But if. PAB has something interesting gobble it up because it'll be a long time before it shows up again.

Like light grey wings. They had them last summer and I went a bit silly.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

xzzy posted:

I have a large cup full of trans white / trans orange cheese slopes somewhere...

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

checksin posted:

Were you referring to a UCS of that big fuckoff castle at Disneyland? That would outsell every other UCS set by a factor of five

This is exactly what I'm talking about, though I wouldn't exactly say no to a Airjitzu temple style castle/medieval town setup.

But yeah, they really should make a 4-5k piece Cinderella Castle. I'm not even the biggest Disney nut, but people would pay through the loving nose for that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

Just do it all, build your collection up slowly as you find gaps in your selection.

But if. PAB has something interesting gobble it up because it'll be a long time before it shows up again.

Yeah that makes sense and all. But I am doing a specific project that requires like, hundreds of 1x4, 1x1 and 1x2 in about 3 colors... :)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

bloodysabbath posted:

But yeah, they really should make a 4-5k piece Cinderella Castle. I'm not even the biggest Disney nut, but people would pay through the loving nose for that.

http://brickset.com/sets/71040-1/Disney-World-Cinderella-Castle

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Are you messing with me right now. because I got real excited for a second and I dont want to be disappointed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Re: MOCs. Last year I had a few months where I didn't have much to do and made a some MOC's that I was pretty happy with (smaller robots, ships mostly) and I learned a lot just from screwing around. made some stuff that I think looks pretty on par with the stuff I thought was really cool on Flickr before I ever tried.

The most important things I learned were:

1. Build in every direction at all times. make sure you give yourself plenty of options to build sideways as well as vertical.
2. always think a little bit ahead. Don't get carried away with making area cool looking before thinking about how its going to attach to the rest of the model.
3. Think about stability. If something doesn't hold together passably it's not going to work.
4. Most importantly do and redo. Pull parts you think might be useful later. take apart entire sections top make them the best they can be. Most of the stuff I made that I was really happy with probably took 30-40+ hours despite being around 500 parts or less. It didn't feel like a chore because I would just work on the same thing for weeks while I was watching netflix.
5. Sadly, you are limited by your parts. Sure, you can make something cool from just about any selection, but to make something exactly how you want it you are going to want to have a huge selection or at least a good idea of what you want to order off BL. I was lucky in that a friend stashed his huge/semi organized collection at my house for a while, but I have felt much more limited since. I guess this isn't relevant to people using LDD, but I find actually building things much more fun.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh hey, I was just about to stop lurking and ask about MOCs. Hooray!

I've just been getting back into Lego, and recently found out that people are making cool robots out of Bionicle/Hero Factory and Technic pieces. I want to make cool robots too.

Is there any sort of good reference site for making MOCs out there, or something with tips for the MOC-curious? I'm mostly thinking of something like "This style piece attaches with this style peg, but you can rig this style to work instead," etc. Or is it kind of a trial and error experience until you find out what works?

I do have the urge to just throw bits together and see what happens, but I have no idea where to start.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Re:MOCS

I used to get so bogged down in the details. If I didn't have the right piece in the right color I'd get creatively stumped.

And then I realized it's like drawing. You sketch, erase, edit, and sometimes scrap.

I'm working on a modular version of my favorite Baltimore bar than I spend every Friday in. At first I was trying too hard to replicate it perfectly, and then I learned to stop worrying and just build.

Just build.

I've remade the same section of wall 4 times now, and every time I feel better about it. I think if you've spent some years only following the directions, you forget how to build on your own.

Grab a fistful of bricks and see what you can make. One of the challenges they give potential employees involves a large bin of bricks and a building goal. They don't get every available brick, just a random assortment, and that's how they are judged.

Beyond that, check Flickr for inspiration and look for techniques to steal.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Are you messing with me right now. because I got real excited for a second and I dont want to be disappointed.

Rumor is this comes out in September, so look for an official reveal in a couple months

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I sent out a team of German footballers for an away game at Pyroclastic's today. Godspeed little dudes.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

And a second one is off to dogen.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Re: MOCs

Here are some links from my LEGO bookmarks folder. Some for technique and some for just inspiration. Don't get frustrated with yourself over what you used to be able to do. Like someone mentioned it's like drawing some techniques and ideas will slowly start to come back. Never be afraid to scrap and entire idea after you come up with something better 20hrs. in. Edit, edit, edit. I've gone back to sections multiple times when I come up with a better approach. Sometimes it's a matter of scale, but if i run into a element or section that isn't working as planned I'll set the whole model aside and quickly try two or three different ways to create something that'll work. (Which I'll probably tear apart and redo again.)

http://swooshable.com/buildingschool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/788191@N24/pool/

http://www.brothers-brick.com/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/m_o_n_k_e_y_s_t_u_f_f/favorites/?view=lg

E: forgot to add. There's also been times that I'm out running errands or working and come up with a small idea like a wheel well or wing configuration that results in a full model just because I didn't stop building.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 30, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It annoys me that there is no good way to do wheel arches in Lego. Even Lego struggles with it, which is why they use custom wheel arch bricks on their city stuff. There just aren't enough bricks with curves on the underside to fit all the tire sizes they've created.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Always double and triple check in LDD for stability if you're doing a MOC. Make sure your connections are strong, otherwise when you build it in real life it might fall apart.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

xzzy posted:

It annoys me that there is no good way to do wheel arches in Lego. Even Lego struggles with it, which is why they use custom wheel arch bricks on their city stuff. There just aren't enough bricks with curves on the underside to fit all the tire sizes they've created.

And are they ever going to do the shorter wheel arches in light bluish grey?! My DeLorean mods are on the back burner until they do.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Does anyone know if the summer Star Wars sets will be out tomorrow? I really need that Clone Turbo Tank.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

They're already out at Walmart now. Saw everything on Friday.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Rage posted:

They're already out at Walmart now. Saw everything on Friday.

Empty spot where they should be and no A-Wing set at all at my local one. Oh well, I was tentatively planing on going to the lego store tomorrow anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the new Vader set have the Vader from the the final battle set?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NESguerilla posted:

Does the new Vader set have the Vader from the the final battle set?

The same helmet and head but a new torso. Supposedly it's "Rebel's style" but I think it looks miles better than the last one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

For anyone getting the GT3, the gearbox has a minor flaw which there is a video in this review explaining how to fix (seems the instructions are wrong)

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133688

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
If they're delaying it because of that instruction flaw then gently caress you lego. Announce that poo poo sooner so I'm not up hitting F5 at midnight :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It "works" it just shifts in the wrong order, so I imagine they'll just fix the instructions going forward

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I saw $90 US / $120 CAD for the Vader tie and A-Wing which seems loving ridiculous for two small ships.

e:

And why is Sabine and Tarkin in this set?? Just to raise the cost?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Austin store didn't get the Marvel minifig frames, why????

Vintersorg posted:

I think I saw $90 US / $120 CAD for the Vader tie and A-Wing which seems loving ridiculous for two small ships.

e:

Presumably. Would make more sense to have maybe one of them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

e:

Yeah, pretty bummed about that price. Only set in the summer Star Wars line I'm really interested in, but I'm not sure at that price.

Also debating on the 24 Hours Car since I have an itch for a decent sized technic set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Most reports on the 24 hours car have been negative, with what I heard included some illegal or questionable build steps. Or maybe I'm just reading into people not liking the color/aero.

I bought one and I'm currently working through the B-Set and it's been pretty good. I also think the B-Set looks much better than the lemans car.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 1, 2016