Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Bout time we had a new thread! If you're a lego lover, be sure to check this thread often for info on sales and deals. We all like to bargain hunt and will share info on Toys 'R' Us and Lego.com specials.

As for myself, anyone can check out my gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ragnarock01
Or on Mocpages:
http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/1193

Here's to another good thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I have a quick question about the in-store Pick-a-Brick - I've seen where people started carefully packing the PAB containers, stacking bricks and arranging things smartly to get much higher piece yeilds and significantly lower cost per piece than randomly dumping pieces in. I'm tempted to drive to Columbus and get $100+ of PAB pieces for building and designing.

Do the Lego store people get pissy if someone is doing that, or do they not really care if someone packs the PAB container?

I did that with my last two visits, and I suspect that they see it a lot, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Be as slow and precise about it is as you want.

I finally got one of these today: http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8996&cn=559 since TRU has them for 25% off. With tax, it equals how much it is on Lego.com, and it has a ton of useful parts I can't wait to use :D

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

When I see 'LEGOS' it makes me think it's some operating system with a really narrow user base, maybe for people with prosthetics. "I had to upgrade my LEG-OS from version 2 to 2.1, now my arm doesn't smoke and I can send email!"

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Did anyone else see that gold version of the Pimp's head and immediately think 'Half-Life head crab'? I know the 'legs' aren't long enough, but that's all I could see when I was looking at it.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

There's also Brickstore: http://www.brickforge.de/software/brickstore/ I don't know if you can upload LDD part lists to it, but I'm pretty sure you can, and it will give you part totals through BrickLink.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

This is deceptively cool:

The images are a little big, but they're worth loading up to see all the details: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=439797

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

The Harvard Comma posted:

Like it deceives you into thinking it's cool when it's actually not or it deceives you into thinking it's not cool but it actually is?

The latter- when I first saw the thumbnails I thought it was a microscale ship, and the three sections of the upper hull hides all the good stuff.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Here's golfer D.A. Points on Sunday at the Greenbrier Classic, he finished fourth.

He looks so drat proud of that buckle its just hilarious.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

This looks really lovely, it's almost too bad the brown tiles are so shiny since you're going for a run-down, weathered look. Maybe try throwing in a few tan, grey and dark grey tiles?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Okay so, several things happened in the last 2 weeks. First, Toy's R Us had 8996 Skopio XV-1 on clearance for ~$60, so I snatched it up. Then, they had that buy one get one half off sale, so I bought 8075 Neptune Carrier, and 8077 Atlantis Exploration HQ for a total of ~$85.

However, last week, Skopio XV-1 went on sale on Lego.com: http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=8996 making it half off. So, I bought it from Lego.com and returned the other one to TRU, saving myself $15. Then, I received a $120 Amazon Gift Certificate through my work, and what did I buy? Why, I bought the Neptune Carrier and 8037 Anakin’s Y-wing Starfighter, then returned the other Neptune Carrier to TRU, leaving the Atlantis Exploration HQ in my possession for half price.

Then last week, Smith's Marketplace was having a pretty nice sale as well, and in the last few days Build-a-Buzz was half off, so I bought two. In total, I spent ~$95 (of my own money) for $310 of brand new sets.

I think I'm gonna make the Neptune Carrier first :D

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to make a cargo elevator/forklift/whatever with vertical travel of five blocks, and I'm just shooting blanks. Anyone have any ideas?

You could try something like this, I made it up awhile ago for my Infinity:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I have no idea what's going on there :)

Basically, there's a set of rods on each side, and there are plates w/clips attached to the rods. The clips slide up and down the rods, like this :fh:

If you attach the plates w/clips to a building, etc, then the rods can slide up and down, making a lift, like this:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I'm not even a big bridge fan, but that is a sweet bridge. And I can already tell it's one that will never be on sale :(

Anyway, I made a Buzz last night, and once again he's outclassed out of the box:

I think $25 is too much given the lack of knees and elbows, even though the dome is a really nice piece. If you can find it on sale like I did though, it's got some really useful pieces (lots of 3x1 tiles in white), and for $13-$20, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

So I've built the Neptune Carrier and Y-Wing:

They're the same price new, but here's a quick rundown of my thoughts:

Y-Wing pros:
-100 more pieces
-solidly built
-feels like something I would make
-lots of pieces I know I will use later
-smooth domes are awesome

Neptune Carrier pros:
-inspired design, seriously really cool
-lots of play features
-lighter than the Y-Wing = easier to swoosh
-variety of unique pieces not available in any other set
-4 minifigs

The Y-Wing is a better deal in terms of piece count, but if you can get it on sale, the Neptune Carrier is a lot of fun. Either way I think most buyers would be pleased.

A Kimbasaur posted:

Although that Buzz may be outclassed, this Lego Buzz and Woody Duo are certainly worth their weight in Legos.

Click here for the full 700x446 image.

They were at the London Toy Fair in January. What do you think they did with them after the fair? Shipped them off to a Lego Store?

Those are pretty cool, and I imagine they're on a tour to various stores to help advertise/sell product.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I wish I were closer to Lego stores and Brickfair :cry:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

As cool as those are, and as much work as I can tell went into them, I still feel it's kind of a turd thing to sell instructions for MOC.

I've had a lot of payment offers if I would make instructions for my rex, but I kinda feel the same. I'd rather share instructions freely when possible.

Jbobj posted:

I was there as well, but only had a cellphone on me, so most pictures didn't come out good at all. Here are a couple of them that came out decent of some of the ones I found most interesting.

Part of one of the bigger battles they had, with hundreds of legomen fighting and dying.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

A creepy clownface ferriswheel. The wheel, mouth, and eyes were all motorized and it genuinely seemed to scare some of the younger kids there.

Click here for the full 685x743 image.

An excellent done Normandy from Mass effect with matching Mako.

This huge glass was made of almost entirely clear 2x1 bricks. I don't remember if there is naturally enough spacing to get those bricks to curve so nice like that, or they did something like file all those bricks on one side.

Click here for the full 548x910 image.

One of my favorite. A mosaic of the Afghan Girl. Her Eyes can still stare into your soul even made of lego. It was awesome how they were able to make extra colors, by making it a two layer mosaic with solid bricks under the translucent ones.

I really, really, really want to go to one of these gatherings sometime just to wander around and appreciate it all. At the same time, it would be hard to not imagine just grabbing random MOCs and playing with them.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

You should take your Ragnarok or whatever it is, the big white ship in your avatar(or any of the evolutions) and your Rex to a Lego con. People would eat that poo poo up.

Believe me I'd love to, but I'm too far away for an affordable vacation to any of them :sigh:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Wow, threads' been dead for a few days. Ought ten, thanks for the pictures, there was some really great stuff there.

I've spent way too much time today fiddling with generic forklift designs, and ended up with this remote-controlled unit:

Unfortunately all I've concluded is that I can't make a forklift heavy enough to actually lift stuff, be compact, AND be able to get items up the ramp without something scraping. Oh well, it's fun to tinker with little things sometimes.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Its actually pretty rare to see a forklift inside a modern airplane, let alone a future spaceship. Maybe make a Tunner loader? It has a rollerized platform so you can shove around cargo pallets and lock it into place on the floor of your ship.

Website!
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/tunner.htm

That's pretty drat cool, I don't think I've ever seen those before. If I get desperate I might try something similar, but I have a semi-good reason for trying a forklift first. I pictured this cargo ship as a replacement for semi-trucks and trains (especially on planets without established transport systems), and at my work, they're always using forklifts to unload the trailers. Then again, the trailers are backed up against docks.

So I got three options: mock up a dock, find a way to extend the ramp, or make some sort of mobile ramp/conveyor belt like airports use (something like a Tunner).

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Dr. Benway posted:

Here's a mini scale idea I've been messing with. I apologize in advance for the rainbow warrior but I ran out of the properly colored pieces (a trip to bricklink is needed). Most of the black, white, and gold will be replaced with red.

Next mini-fig scale. Pretty sure that's gonna be expensive.

I'm not sure if I should post this, as you may have seen it before/I don't wanna influence your own creativity, but this is a pretty good version that has been around for awhile:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=209660
With instructions: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=209776

If you wanna make your own version this might help you out if you get stuck, but there's plenty of room to try your own techniques.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 20, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

emoltra posted:

He intentionally built at a much smaller scale than that

He said he wants to make a mini-fig scale one next :)

sam.freak posted:

Went to the local supermarket and bought two of these for €10 each. Half price offers are awesome.

That's a sweet deal, I'd buy a couple at that price too.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

If you like Lego and Carl's Jr., then I have good news!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yafW-6EVRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlq5P8ThEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdKYwQhrcE

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Kazy posted:

So I'm thinking about buying my first Lego set in a while, and I found this Y-Wing (7658) set on Bricklink for pretty much MSRP.

The Y-Wing has always been a favorite ship of mine, but I've never been able to get the set. Does anyone have this set that can post some pictures, or comparisons to the 1999 Y-Wing/TIE Fighter set?

Having bought two of these (and also a fan of Y-Wings), I can definitely recommend it. It's far more detailed than the original set and is nicely proportioned. It also has a ton of useful pieces, and I especially liked the creative design of the engines. If you can get it for a reasonable price, go for it. Here's a decent set review in pictures to help you out: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=237907

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the penishands mecha:

Is there something you'd like to tell the group? Maybe you can show us where the robot touched you :pedo:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

lDDQD posted:

what parts do you use to make a huge ring like that?

If I remember correctly, he used click-joints.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

lDDQD posted:

would you be so kind as to post a picture of one? I'm a huge noob...

Of course, here's some examples:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=hinge+brick+locking
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=hinge+plate+locking

I've always called them click-bricks, but after trying to find them I've learned Bricklink calls them 'locking' pieces. Basically they replaced the old, non-locking hinges.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Okay, I'm tired of fiddling and I'm ready to take pictures of this drat thing. However, I have a problem. See this?

Nice, crisp and clear, especially around the white areas. However, fast-forward to today and:

What the gently caress, where is all this glare coming from? I tried resetting it to factory settings, but it made no difference. It does this with any strong contrasting areas. Anybody have some advice for me, or is my camera just borked? (its a Sony DSC-H3 if that helps)

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Kazy posted:

Looks like the lens is dirty or something.

......gently caress, you're right. I'm usually so careful with it that I didn't even think of that. Many thanks from an idiot, haha.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I caved in because of the buy one get one 1/2 off, and bought two of 3180 Tank Truck. At $30 for 444 pieces, it was a decent value, and I've kinda wanted a good gas truck for awhile. Anyway, quick review:

It's not bare-bones, in fact it has some nice touches, like tire chocks, an offset drivers seat, and solid construction. However, being the detail-obsessed guy I am, I noticed a few things. For starters, this:

The black hose has been reverted to it's old design, without the 4 nubs around the end. The yellow pipe end/faucet/whatever no longer has a hollow tip either! Finally, the mini-fig hat has a jaunty upward tilt, rather than a flat, 90 degree bill. Not drastic changes, but changes nevertheless! Finally, this piece is new to me:

It's one of the more interesting SNOT variants I've seen, and it makes me glad I got two sets so that I have two of these. I can't wait for that one instance where they save my rear end on a MOC.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, for the first time ever, I have seen the Series 2 Mini-figs in the wild. I was disappointed to not see Series 1 though...

On the plus side, I saw them at Smiths/Fred Meyer, who are currently having a buy 2 get one free sale. So I just may be buying myself a load of Mini-Figs.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What a thing I have made!

What is it? I dunno! But I'm forcing myself to go to bed.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

yo the name is batty, the logic is erratic, potato in a jacket, toys in the attic, I rock and I ramble, my brain is scrambled, talk like an animal, but I'm a mammal

Out of all the possible replies to my post, I have to say, this is the least expected, haha.

Also, I seem to have blown my wad:

I'm going to take the Hyena Bomber back though, since I already had two (when I thought I only had one). That will bring the total spent to around $120, which comes out to less than 7 cents a piece thanks to the buy 2 get one free sale. I'm still hopeful I might pick up at least a few of the minifigs, but it doesn't look like I'll be lucky anytime soon.

If anyone wants to see detailed pics of Space Police Central, let me know, since I'm off to build it.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Okay, here we go!

First, the open box:

Mini-figs and vehicles first of course, and an observance. I could tell from the box that the transport would be pretty basic, and it is:

Lots of wasted space, but of course, it's not the centerpiece of the set. Here they are all together:

The aliens are pretty cool, but there's clearly a superior character, whom I think I shall call Captain Winchester:

Anyway, onto the lounge. Its pretty simple, but has plenty of nice pieces. The coffee maker is only 3 pieces but it's a nice touch. It also shows how this set has a LOT of bricks, short and tall, with the grove in it for sliding doors. You could make a really tall sliding door with all of them.

There's two launchers for the space scooters (whatever) that feel kinda... useless. I get the idea but I wonder if its a piece count that couldn't have been put to better use. The security fence as well feels tacked on, but I'm just nit-picking.

Now for the fun part, the main building. I thought the sideways garage door was awesome on the box, and the actual mechanism doesn't disappoint. It's quite simple, but I just like it at the same time. I think it's easily the best part of the set.

After the garage comes the command center, but first, another observation! The instructions and Bricklink show that this set has a new style of gun/blaster, but my particular set at least, only has the old style. I'm sure that they're trying to use up the old style before including the new.

The command center is complete with a Bush-style Terror Alert Meter, and proves what I've always suspected; frogs are not to be trusted, and this one is safely contained in an evidence locker.

The sensor station/prisoner management is pretty boring and predictable, so here's pics of the main baseplate all done:

I do like the target practice range in the back though, and the stickers remind me of District 9 (but of course I haven't applied them :smug:)

And finally, the extra pieces:

I really like this set. Like, REALLY like it. I spent enough time just opening the garage door to drive through it to qualify for OCD. I don't think it's as well furnished as some of the City Police Stations, but it's futuristic, modern and retro at the same time. It's not perfect; the main structure is a little flimsy and can't resist sideways pressure very well, and some of it is obvious afterthought.

But I daresay... it's my new favorite base. I have very fond memories of Ice Station Odyssey (which in comparison, is rather expensive), the Monorail Transport Base was huge and impressive (and again, quite expensive!), but this somehow is better. I like that all the buildings are made, not molded, and it has a more cohesive architectural sense. I love it so much, Red Shirt isn't allowed to smash it:

Oh yeah, final thought. This set is even better on sale, and I got it for about $57. If you want it and its on sale, I would definitely say "Get it."

EDIT 2: I've just realized, the sticker for the frog's box says "Sniffer Frog". So I guess it's not a criminal, but a specially trained amphibious detector. I still don't trust 'em :colbert:.
EDIT BLARG: There's also a sticker for the alien speeder that says 'Insectoid Rule'. HMM.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 19, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

That's a sweet looking Police Base! I dig.

Finished up the 599 last night:

This looks pretty nice, too bad I'll never find one discounted, ha.

I should visit Big Kmart more often, since I just found 8075 Neptune Carrier at a huge discount. Normally $60, it was on clearance for $45, and on top of that, all clearance is marked down an extra 20%.

So I got it for $38.47 after taxes :dance:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Now, how much do I need? I'd want at least enough to do a 20 stud long tank with either one string of 3873 track per side or 2 strings of 3711 track per side while using the 24 tooth gears for the wheels.

Well, for example, the Bat-Tank came with 158 of them to make really long tracks. For you I'd say 60-80 would be safe, but if you like, I could actually mock it up for you myself and give you a more accurate count :shobon: Basically you're looking for how many it takes to make a full loop using only two 24 tooth gears 20 studs apart, right?

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 20, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Sockser posted:

You can't have more than one neckpiece on a minifig, that looks retarded. Look how big his stupid neck is!

Captain Winchester has no time for your complaints! [zooms off on his space scooter]

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

emoltra posted:

It looks like you started building a Metal Gear RAY but gave up v:shobon:v

It's definitely too small for a RAY, but I have good news! My Robin Williams Fruit Combine continues to evolve.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Kazy posted:

Oh man, I remember having this set as a kid. I miss those old space helmets. And those claw arms. Do they still make sets with those pieces?

Those pieces haven't been in production for a looong time, at least a decade. I feel old suddenly, ha.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

If you have the time that'd be awesome, even if it's just the smaller chain. After looking at the bat tank I'm in a better position to guessstimate how much of the wide track I'll need.

That pump truck my wife is putting together is going to cost me a fortune. She's rainbow warrioring it, picking out a color scheme after wards, handing me a parts list and saying 'this is my birthday gift'.

I am really sorry for not responding to this sooner, I admit I forgot because it got late. Hopefully you haven't ordered already, and I can still help:

I wasn't sure if you are going for exactly 20 studs long for the entire vehicle, or 20 studs between where the ends of the tracks are mounted (as pictured). For the one in the pic, it takes 66 links minimum, but that's binding the gears, and 67 links is too loose. Hope that helps!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Chugging along, going to bed now. Stupid dome was hard to make a cockpit out of.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

I was chattin' with someone in the thread last night when I remembered I have these old, terrible photos. Well, the MOC's been done for months now, so might as well put SOMETHING up. I'll try to re-shoot this tomorrow. A lot of these photos got absolutely blasted by sunlight because I decided to shoot them right around sundown. :downs:

"How the hell do we both have a full house, kings over aces? Again?!"

afflictionwisp posted:

God drat, that's pretty.

In other news, I finally finished this design:

and the rest

30,000 pieces, I'm never doing anything that big again. The big poo poo sure is fun to look at, but, gently caress me, just designing it was an ordeal, I can't imagine the pain of actually building something that size.
These are both awesome, and echoing that the lighting on the saloon is great, it looks really nice. afflictionwisp, does that bad boy have an interior, or are you sick of working on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I made my first Vic Viper!

Oh god I'm not good at Vic Vipers help--

Captain Invictus posted:

Reminds me of the Outlaw Star.

It might not be a surprise, but I've often thought about how to make a mini-fig sized Outlaw Star. I don't have enough red though, haha. Anyway, you guessed the arms part right, hopefully the rest wasn't too obvious. I might fiddle with it more, but surprisingly, I feel like its already done.