Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I ran across this yesterday and thought it was cool as poo poo.

http://roila.org/

I have an NXT kit, and while I can usually build some OK stuff, the programming has just never clicked in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I picked up the Clone Wars Y-Wing kit (8037) at Wal-Mart on sale last week. It was the last one, and I couldn't say no at $40. I've always loved the Y-Wing, and I actually really like the re-designed version - taking the original lines and just covering up the 'frame' that you see in the OT was incredibly clever and so obvious.

So, I put it together...

And that was cool, for a while. But I got the itch every time I looked at it to come up with a version between the CW version and the OT version.. maybe one that's seen some action and had bits blown off, or has been 'modified' to make it easier to work on or perform better. Anyway, today I gave it a go...

I definitely have some more ideas, but this was a really fun semi-MOC project!

TremorX fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 13, 2010

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I'm in Target, and looking at the collector's edition of Halo: Reach. I'm kinda waffling on getting it, and my wife says to me.. "You've hated every game you've bought in the past year. Why don't you just get that Lego set you've been wanting? You stand there and stare at it for ten minutes every time you see it."

I feel like it was definitely the right choice.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The boy and I spent last night building together, which we haven't done in a while. Somehow, I wound up with this:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I got the midi-scale Star Destroyer for Christmas, but I'm afraid if I try to take a picture of it it'll inexplicably shatter into a million pieces. VERY flimsy set, but drat it looks cool.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Holy gently caress, sticklebricks just brought my entire early childhood rushing back. I thought I'd blocked that poo poo out.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Picked up one of these little AT-STs last night at Target. They have this, a Ninjago kit, and a 4-wheeler thing for $4 in the Easter candy section. I'm gonna have to grab a few more.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

boner meter posted:

I want to spacebusify it. Space-Heads needs to be the next space theme.

We're probably not thinking of the same thing, but...

.. in Lego?

Oh. Hell. Yes.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Tighclops posted:

However I was able to reassemble one set, apologies for the crappy cell phone pic:

What set was this? I had it, and I built SO many MOCs as a kid using that cockpit design.

edit - NM, found it -- 918, One Man Space Ship.. I knew it couldn't be the bigger one because my parents were too cheap to buy me anything that cool.

http://www.brickset.com/search/?query=space

I had 918, the 885 Space Scooter, 886 Space Buggy, and I'm pretty sure I had 897 Mobile Rocket Launcher (at least, I remember building a rocket just like that)... I wonder if that bucket is still floating around here anywhere...

TremorX fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 3, 2012

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So, no dot-spotting on the new minifig packs yet? If I don't get some robots soon I'll be the worst parent ever.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Oh hell yes, I need that Tantive IV to go with my midi-scale Star Destroyer.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Lofty132 posted:

I would absolutely love this, more than anything. However I feel that the original film may be too adult for the lego licence? Every character chain smokes for a start. They printed the bricks on the Delorean right?

"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious poo poo."

Nah, should be fine. Seriously, Ghostbusters toys were the gold standard of whether or not you were cool when I was 8.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I built this little guy the other day. I make no apologies for my phone camerawork.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Neurion posted:

That's awesome, I kind of want to hear you :spergin: about what each piece is and what the guns do and the sounds they make, because I think it's cute when I hear the kids do that at the store :allears:

Also I think it's adorable when AFOLs talk about their creations.

Oh god, I want to just shrug it off as "I dunno, it just looks cool" but... well, here we go. There's definitely a lot of swooshing involved.

I was mostly just playing with this idea of 'warp nacelles' a la Star Trek combined with large thrusters in the center-rear pod. I sort of imagined it being more Battlestar-ish, but smaller. The whole back part was supposed to be detachable/replaceable, so you could put the warp/maneuver engines like I have here, or a large cargo/carrier type attachment, a longterm living-pod setup, etc... I just didn't build those. The clear wedge areas are observation & docking areas, and the vent pieces are the more heavily armored areas. The command area is in the center between the two cannons, which are used for mining and defense. They go "Vrrrrrrrr-BYENG-goom."

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Oh my. :fap:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Yeah, I took my two boys to see this today and boy did that ending sting. Just yesterday they were teasing me with their grandma about how I have a few sets up on the shelf that I don't let them play with. But, hey, at least I don't Krazy Glue them and some of them are custom builds or heavily modified (i.e., I got the Y-Wing from Clone Wars and made it damaged so that it's an in-between CW and ANH version). Amazing movie, and really made me want to drag out some bricks and play with my kids!

TremorX fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 10, 2014

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

ltr posted:

I'll see your whatever that is and up you a Galaxy Explorer. Just finished building this last week. I need to get correct landing legs for it, but at $2+ for each one, that's tough to buy. I think I'm going to build the other "LL xxx" series ships then probably stop my classic space stuff. I have no more space to display them.

Spaceship!!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

What are the cheapest kits those Differential housings come with? My son and I keep wanting to build our own custom Mindstorms program-driven race-car robots and we keep trying to build diffs out of what we have but they're not very practical.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To be fair a lot of early stuff claimed it was a big droid or random junk. I think it’s only been known as a speeder for the last few years.

It also showed up in Space Quest 3. And it's on-topic because there are Lego in the same scene! jk those are clearly megablox

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I think you'll find that's an EVA pod from 2001 A Space Odyssey

You're right, I genuinely thought that was what the Ubrikkian was made out of. It still shows up in Star Wars, just not there -- there's an EVA pod in Watto's Junkyard.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I had a fun father-and-son project this evening with my 12-year-old:

We converted my old midi Falcon to the new (old-new?) Falcon.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Davros1 posted:

At least the Go Bots had a cafeteria. Don't remember the G.I. Joe base having a mess hall!

What do they serve in the Gobot cafeteria?

... that sounds like a Philip K. Dick novel.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I haven't tried it on Lego, but I've done similar decals on RC bodies. I used Citrus adhesive remover like GooGone, reapplied them using spray adhesive on the back, and apply them damp like you would larger vinyl decals to get them straight and centered.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My 12-year-old loves the new series, so I showed him this. His only gripe was that the back legs on the black lion look kind of bad, but, in his words, "seems like a fair trade-off for being able to transform it, and robot mode looks awesome so who cares?" So yeah, it'll have some appeal beyond the nostalgia-huffing crowd.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

"I'll keep it nice for you so you can enjoy it when you're older" is the only weapon a toy-collecting dad has against the relentless, destructive force of his own spawn.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That owns! I always wanted to build something like my old FJ60 Land Cruiser in Lego, and that looks really close shape-wise.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Oh man, that window and cowl slant. Are you some kind of wizard?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Waltzing Along posted:

Scrub NFL player and B actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsIyphGp0Vc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Come on, don't build on the floor, guys! We only built on the floor as children because our parents banished us there, declaring us unworthy of playing Lego on the table. But we're adults now, their tyranny is over and we can play Lego on the table, as men.

edit - Yeah it still kills my back though