Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Just made an impulse buy yesterday that I absolutely do not regret.

Sorry for the bad pictures, but my phone isn't really cooperating with me at the moment.

I decided to mix things up since I had a bunch of minifigures lying around my desk. Time for a pirate ship battle featuring characters spanning multiple centuries!

Jack Sparrow and Blackbeard battle it out at the ship's wheel while a viking and wolfman confront each other on the deck.

Frankenstein chases a cook.

Somehow, at the front of the ship, a cyborg confronts an alien.

Zombies chase "Angelica" (I haven't seen the movies) up the mast while a Roman soldier battles another zombie.

Owning a LEGO pirate ship has been a dream of mine since I was a kid (always wanted Black Seas Barracuda or Skull's Eye Schooner as a child), and I'm really happy with my purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Flavor Bear posted:

Brickset reports sightings of Series 5 in the UK.
If they are legit, it means only a couple weeks 'til they're out in North America.

They're available for pre-order on Toys R Us' website for $2.99 with a buy one, get one 50% off deal:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11807192

Edit: Turns out you can buy as many as you like but you only get one half-off :( not to mention the cost of shipping.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Sapper2CRNA posted:

About a month ago TRU had a good deal and I bought a b bunch of the $20 and below sets of the Space Invader line, haven't got around to building them yet. I've never made a diorama or LEGO scene before and I was thinking of doing a good guy last stand against one of the alien walkers.

Was curious what other goons thoughts were about the Space Invader line?

I have the Space Invader tripod set and really like it, it's pretty cool. It's nice to have a set that isn't a licensed property.

I'm making my girlfriend's one-year anniversary card in LEGO Digital Designer...gently caress the prices on there are expensive! Wouldn't it just be cheaper to go my local LEGO store and buy the pieces there? I'm trying to find a "catalog" feature in the software to tell me how much of each piece I have...

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

Going to the Lego Store would be a tossup. Chances are they wouldn't have most of the parts you'd need, let alone in the right colors.
AFAIK, LDD doesn't have any sort of piece breakdown, so your best bet would be to catalog them yourself and find a seller on brinklink that has 'em all.

I figured as much. To be fair, it's a very basic card, almost all simple 1 by X or 2 by X pieces, so chances are it would in fact be at the Lego store. Still curious as to the prices, cause god drat I'm at about $65 right now and it's not even a big card.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

Plates or bricks? You could certainly get enough plates in a $15 PAB cup to make your card, maybe two cups if they're bricks. The prices through LDD and their online PAB are outrageous. It wouldn't hurt to call the Lego Store to see what they have to see if the drive's worthwhile.

Bricks currently, though now that I think of it, the same primary effect (essentially a three dimension heart popping out of the plane) could be accomplished with plates instead of bricks. In any case, I'm certain that buying at the store would be cheaper, and it's only a 10 minute drive away anyway.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Yalloglanchie posted:

Space Girl :swoon: I'm loving everything about this minifig.

The robot alien looks like poo poo though. Is it an alien or a robot?? It can't be both!!!

Sure it can! There's even an alien android minifig in the Alien Conquest series.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Well, I guess he's got the perfect expression for being such a lovely minifig.

Seriously, that's as :geno: as they come.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

VaultAggie posted:

I don't know which series you liked but this one seems to be pretty popular and has a cool design.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7051_Tripod_Invader

I've posted about this set in this thread before, but really, this is a great set for $20. Looks pretty neat on my desk :)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

100 pounds of Legos? Holy poo poo :stare:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Any goon want a Series 5 Detective and want to trade? Bought four yesterday and got duplicates of this guy.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I now have an extra Lizard Man in addition to my duplicate Detective, in case anyone still wants to trade.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

IGNORE MY POSTS posted:

Toys R Us nearby is liquidating and moving to a new location. I picked up several of the Prince of Persia sets, Alien Conquest smaller sets and several Space Police for around 80% off. Had to restrain myself from buying the 10 or so Lunar Limos they had left.

Lucky bastard :mad:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Does anyone know of a site where you could catalog full Lego sets that you own, then the site itself would keep track of each individual piece that you own, and then present you with MOCs (uploaded by site members) that you could potentially create using said pieces? I think it's a potentially interesting idea.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Skulduggery posted:

Don't know if this has been posted or not but this guy claims to have the biggest droid army

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTD2ayNAtnA

He also has a comparable sized clone army led by the cloud city Boba Fett, obviously

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQT0sUNePtA&feature=related

:stare:

That dude is like 23, lives with his parents, makes like $500 a month and spends literally every dime he earns on Lego. Truly living the life

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

Anyone know if Lego is developing NXT 3.0? I'd hate to buy 2.0 and then a new one comes out shortly thereafter.

I have a friend who works at NI who says that a next-gen Mindstorms is being developed but he doesn't know much about it (pretty secretive apparently). God I hate how that reads like a "MY UNCLE WORKS AT PIXAR" post.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Xenophon posted:

There were a lot, so I don't remember exactly which sets. There were at least 4-5 from the Dino sets, Ambush Attack and Tower Takedown for sure, plus a lot from City (~1/2 of the 2012 sets listed on brickipedia including one with a bear), Creator (all of the 2012 sets except the TBA ones, so far as I could tell), and Ninjago. I didn't see anything new from Star Wars or Technic, and I didn't see any of the new Superheroes or Friends lines. Racers and Hero Factory might have had some new things, but I didn't check, because Racers and Hero Factory.

There were Dino sets at my local Lego store. I picked up the small $12 with the velociraptor.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I just picked up another 5 bags at random and got:

2 x Minotaurs
1 x lady astronaut
1 x The Shadow
1 x leprachaun

Where are you guys getting the Series 6 minifigs?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I don't really have much space in my apartment for big sets, so I like to buy minifigs and small sets from different themes. Today I picked up a Seabed Strider from the Atlantis theme for $10. Really neat little set. The robot the explorer guy rides on converts from a sort of mech robot to an underwater glider.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Is there a reason Lego used to have a "Legoland" banner on all their boxes?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

mattfl posted:

Has this set even been released in stores yet? I've yet to see barely any superhero stuff anywhere around here.

It's one of those older Batman sets from a few years ago. Wish I had picked it up when it was still in stores!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pretentious Turtle posted:

What's the name of the line that set's from? That's one of the lines I can remember somewhat vaguely, I had a insectoid spaceship with magnets and poo poo in it. It was my first set where I saw lego sliding joints, and so it was my favorite set ever.

It's the UFO line from like '97 or '98, I remember it for having sweet fiber optics on one of the ships :cool:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

InfinEight posted:

I kind of don't understand why people are getting mad at Lego for wanting to tap into a 'new' group of customers. They obviously want to appeal to those parents who already only buy 'girly' toys for their daughters, and/or hopefully appeal to girls that only enjoy girly toys. I agree there aren't enough female minifigs in normal sets, but at the same time I think that there are already going to be a lot of women out there that buy the other themes because they already enjoy Lego.

Is Lego pandering to gender stereotypes? Or are they sneaking a great toy into the hands of girls that would otherwise never touch Lego because of those stereotypes? I guess it's up to the individual to decide.

They're definitely pandering. There shouldn't be a reason that girls prefer "girly" sets like the Friends sets. What you can argue is whether Lego (and other companies) is at fault, at least partially, for something like this. It's a bit of a chicken and egg problem, IMO.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I loved these sets as a kid the most.

This was my dream set as a kid. Some of my earliest memories of life (I'm guessing I was around 3 or so) were walking around the KB Toys, looking at this set mostly, thinking the monkey was pretty cool.

I never was able to get this particular one, but now that I'm older and have a job, I was able to buy the Queen Anne's Revenge for myself, which is pretty cool. Not as cool as the regular pirates one, but oh well. I'm not paying ridiculous amounts of money for that set.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

CADPAT posted:

You could easily get the 1989 version used for 120$ + shipping. Considering the MSRP back in '89 was 110$ and the 2002 version sells for 180$ it's not that bad of a deal.

You could also probably build it piecemeal for pretty cheap. You'd probably have to spend 40$ on specialized parts, but if you have the minfigs to man it you're good to go. It's not a complex build and you can get the instructions online.

Hmm, this is tempting. I wonder why I expected all the sets to be $300+. $120 for a childhood dream is pennies IMO. Is there a reason the 2002 version is more expensive? Just that the bricks are less aged, I'm guessing...

When you say building piecemeal, do you mean buying pieces off of Bricklink itself?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want that Y-Wing and the TIE Fighter so bad but they're just too loving expensive.

Where can I see prices on these sets? I don't own any Lego Star Wars, but maybe I'll spring for an X-Wing.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Star-Wars-ByTheme?_requestid=2099049

X-Wing is $60, Y-Wing is $50, TIE is $55.

Whoops, silly me. I assumed they weren't up on the official Lego store page yet. $60 is a bit much but maybe I'll do it.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Series 6 minifigs in (US) stores yet?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

McDragon posted:

Isn't the gorilla a guy in a suit? I'm surprised the lizardmen didn't get there, those guys are great.

Yeah, but you can easily make it a gorilla with an all-black minifig head. Same with the lizard.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Well, I bought the Superman vs. Power Armor Lex today, and it's pretty sweet. Really a fun build, and a great buy for $20. The ball-and-socket joints make the robot extremely posable. It can even do a split! :haw:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Not sure if you guys noticed, but the Black Pearl is on sale on Amazon for $80:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZFF3CQ...ASIN=B004ZFF3CQ

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

smackfu posted:

Eh. Usually you just go "but the shelf says it costs X" and they go "but it's ringing up as Y" and then a manager is called and they override the price and then go change the shelf. Works out for everyone and not a big deal. It's only a problem when the clerk digs in their heels about the price. Clerks don't like to go against the what the till says, while managers prefer to just get you out of there in questionable situations.

Except what usually happens is people flip out and start acting like entitled children over a pricing error. So no, clerks digging their heels in about price is not a problem.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Which means it pretty much has control of you too, correct? Unless your son is somehow financing his own addiction :ohdear:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

tikan posted:

Why would you buy girl's toys?

I kinda have to agree, whether this post is sarcastic or not. I love Legos, and the whole "IT'S A KID'S TOY" thing can gently caress off but the idea of grown men buying sets clearly designed for little girls is just...weird to me.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Krazyface posted:

Supposedly, the Orc Forge set includes five minifigs.
There is a huge picture of all the LOTR sets here. That album also has pictures of the contents of the Battle of Hoth boardgame-set.

Also, the Moria set has a cave troll, not a Balrog.

Based on the slideshow, it looks like they actually made a few changes to the "Frankenstein" minifig from the collectible minifig series to the new monster series. Interesting.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Well, the spaceman in Series 7 is awesome, for what it's worth. It's sort of a Lego Master Chief or something. Looks like the battle-scarred leader of the ADU to me :cool:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

DrChud posted:

Made the 3 hr drive to nearest Lego store today to pillage the brick wall. They had a whole bin of Series 6, figured I would try to feel out a few I needed. An hour later I was still helping kids feel the bags for ones that they wanted, the parents were thanking me for all the help and the Older man that worked there couldn't have had a bigger smile on his face seeing the kids happy. When I was checking out he told me how he likes to help the kids when he can but one of the store managers won't allow them to feel the bags to help people. 3 Large PaB cups, 15 minifigs, and 2 star wars minifig key chains that were marked down to .98 each. Not a bad haul. I so wished they had the new Xwing though :smith:

That's weird, the employees at my local Lego store will literally write which minifig is in the bag in their spare time.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I'm fairly certain I have the one you're looking for. What's a good place to upload it?

Here you go, have a public Dropbox link!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9330734/brickstress.pdf

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wish they just did away with this blind-bag thing though. Who actually finds blind-bags interesting or fun? Oh yay, my fourth genie. If course I can just trade with my friends oh wait I'm not in grade school and I don't know anyone else that buys Lego. I'm no good with feeling the bags to see what's inside, and it seems like Lego has fixed the bump-codes issue, as I have loads of figures that don't match any of the published bump-codes.

You wanting to collect them all but ending up with four genies is precisely what Lego wants, so it's not going anywhere.

Well, I should say "kids" and not "you", since neither you nor I are Lego's target demographic.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

youareoffthehook posted:

Yeah, there's a pirates zombie set. I can't remember if we have it still or not but I think we do.

The Queen Anne's Revenge comes with three zombie pirates, according to Brickset.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

what

I think he's saying that SHIELD on the side of the truck looks like SHIBLO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I think it's Brickipedia or something that has photos of an unreleased Napoleonic armies line.

It had cool European buildings, but I think most people agree it would have been too similar to the officers in the Pirates theme.

An historical series would be great, even if it veered a bit toward the mythological side (hydra, medusa, whatever) to help market it to kids.

Here's the Napoleonic theme:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88061820@N00/3792134845/in/photostream

And an unreleased gangster theme as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88061820@N00/3792134813/in/photostream