Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I havent played properly in years but I still have a manager spot at Grave Dagger on Aimuari. Pretty sure the shop mostly runs itself nowadays though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: 'cause you're stupid!
There's a crew shipyard in need of a manager(s) if you're interested in seeing how it works. Let me know if you'd like to take a crack at it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

extrametrical posted:

There's a crew shipyard in need of a manager(s) if you're interested in seeing how it works. Let me know if you'd like to take a crack at it.

Speaking of the crew, could I snag and invite at some point? Pirate name is Xyphus.

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

AirRaid posted:

So how many goons are still playing this? I just logged in and this happened..

I did not realise I had been in and out of this game for that long. :stare:

Logged on my Cerulean character, got 10th. It looks pretty.

Decided to kill some time, in on Emerald as Rinic. I have a sloop on this character! :toot:

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Does anyone here still play?

I've played on and off throughout the years and my pirates keep getting deleted. :(
So I've started another one and I'm giving it another go! Melody on Emerald Ocean

(also I have no idea what I'm doing, yay)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Laverna posted:

Does anyone here still play?

I've played on and off throughout the years and my pirates keep getting deleted. :(
So I've started another one and I'm giving it another go! Melody on Emerald Ocean

(also I have no idea what I'm doing, yay)

Have you tried buying $5 worth of dubloons?

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

Have you tried buying $5 worth of dubloons?

Not in the past no, but I thought I might for this one if I get somewhere with it.

Do you need to buy $5 for it to count?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If you spend any amount of real money ($5 is presumably the smallest amount?) your pirates never get deleted.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Can confirm I bought dubloons a long time ago and have gone years without playing. Pirates are still there. :unsmith:

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

Can confirm I bought dubloons a long time ago and have gone years without playing. Pirates are still there. :unsmith:

Hmm, I'll definitely do that this time then.
I tend to get sick of it after a few months and return a year later.

Also buying the minimum amount of dubloons will mean I won't have to keep saving up to get a badge! :D
I can never decide between labour and sea monster hunting though, which of those is more fun?

From what I remember the best is fighting in the blockades(?), when there are two teams fighting against each other or something. But they don't seem to happen often.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I would go with blockades and smh; labour isn't that worth it to me. Besides, I love elite paying blockades since I can make a lot of PoE with my legendary patching. Can't ever get incredibles, though. :smith:

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

I would go with blockades and smh; labour isn't that worth it to me. Besides, I love elite paying blockades since I can make a lot of PoE with my legendary patching. Can't ever get incredibles, though. :smith:

Well, I got a smh badge but now I don't know which ones to join since I have no clue what the slang means other than "you probably aren't good enough to join this".

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Laverna posted:

Well, I got a smh badge but now I don't know which ones to join since I have no clue what the slang means other than "you probably aren't good enough to join this".

Which slang are you looking for?

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Big Ink posted:

Which slang are you looking for?

"Now hiring FOs with exp thralling"
"Flan or above"
"FF+"

I don't know what those mean other than that I am not one of them

I figured out what egging is, but I'm still not sure if that means they only want eggers or they'll take anybody. It's very confusing.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Laverna posted:

"Flan or above"
"FF+"

I figured out what egging is, but I'm still not sure if that means they only want eggers or they'll take anybody. It's very confusing.

I've been playing for 7 years and I have no clue what Flan or FF+ means.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Laverna posted:

"Flan or above"
"FF+"

AdorableStar posted:

I've been playing for 7 years and I have no clue what Flan or FF+ means.

Eggers generally only want people who can get eggs quickly. This is for the Kraken SMH. But they're pretty lenient some times.

FF+ I believe stands for "Frenetic Foraging" which is a trophy you receive from CI (Cursed Isles(SMH)) after getting a frenetic in foraging. CI foraging is different from normal foraging in that in CI you're trying to get as many chests as quickly as possible as opposed to normal forage where you try and set up combos.

FO is probably an experience level. Thralling is fighting off the bot zombies in CI.

Flan (?) I'd wager is a trophy you get from one of the SMHs. Not familiar with it enough to name which one it is.

Some other things:
"Bomber" is a rowboat for Kraken SMH. Only one is needed. His responsibility is to attack the kraken clearing a path for 'eggers.'
"Speed or bumper" are two different rowboats. The speed boat gets four moves a turn but is easier to sink. The bumper boat has the standard three moves but can take more damage. The harpoon rowboat is useless, don't bother getting it.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Big Ink posted:

Eggers generally only want people who can get eggs quickly. This is for the Kraken SMH. But they're pretty lenient some times.

FF+ I believe stands for "Frenetic Foraging" which is a trophy you receive from CI (Cursed Isles(SMH)) after getting a frenetic in foraging. CI foraging is different from normal foraging in that in CI you're trying to get as many chests as quickly as possible as opposed to normal forage where you try and set up combos.

FO is probably an experience level. Thralling is fighting off the bot zombies in CI.

Flan (?) I'd wager is a trophy you get from one of the SMHs. Not familiar with it enough to name which one it is.

Some other things:
"Bomber" is a rowboat for Kraken SMH. Only one is needed. His responsibility is to attack the kraken clearing a path for 'eggers.'
"Speed or bumper" are two different rowboats. The speed boat gets four moves a turn but is easier to sink. The bumper boat has the standard three moves but can take more damage. The harpoon rowboat is useless, don't bother getting it.

Thanks! And don't worry, I don't even know how to get a rowboat in the first place.
So far I've just been keeping my head down and doing what's available, which is often not much.

Flan just sounds a bit silly.

What are the different types of SMHs? I did the kraken one which was not at all like the ones I remember. I was so confused about how to move, luckily the people were pretty helpful!

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Laverna posted:

Thanks! And don't worry, I don't even know how to get a rowboat in the first place.
So far I've just been keeping my head down and doing what's available, which is often not much.

What are the different types of SMHs? I did the kraken one which was not at all like the ones I remember. I was so confused about how to move, luckily the people were pretty helpful!

Here's a link to the yppedia on SMH's. It has better detail than I can provide but I'll break down the smh's.

Atlantis/Haunted Seas are (or were) predominately large boat excursions. Xebec or larger. You get on a boat find a station and collect money.

Cursed Isles (CI) is traditionally on smaller boats. Long boats or smaller, 99% are sloop. You get on a boat and grab your best station and make flower tokens. The captain will B line as best as he can to an island where you'll fight zombies, forage, fight zombies, forage etc, until you lose a zombie fight. After a lost fight you'll get kicked off the island into the boat and B line for the exit.

Kraken is the newest SMH. You'll need to buy a row boat at a furnisher. Like I said previously don't bother with the bomber or harpoon. So get a speed and/or bumper boat. You'll want some battle navigation experience first though, so I'd recommend doing the navy battle navigation mission. At least until you have an understanding of how to move and how whirpools work. With your rowboat you race to one of the various golden spots on the map, touch it, and race back to the entrance. Eggs, the most valuable, are nearest the kraken.

AwkwardPeanutButter
Dec 13, 2006

Add me as squidleg

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I guess I'll bump this incase someone else comes across wanting to talk about puzzle pirates.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Please add me as Dreiden

CharmKite
Apr 3, 2009
Ahoy! Pirate name is Lungsman. Feels good to be playing tetris attack again.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmmm, I just logged in and apparently I am one of exactly three people in this crew?

EDIT: Oh, and then a million dormant members.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Three? I'm sure there are more than three people who log in on a semi-regular basis. A million dormant ones yeah.

Activity will go up when the server merges start happening; I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of us who are specifically waiting for that.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Woah, more mergers? :rip: pp

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Oh, sorry, haha. That post was meant for the LOTRO thread. I wondered why my post disappeared! :doh:

Bunmo
Jul 9, 2009

Grape
Soda
Banked
*wanders in half drunk on milk and maple syrup* Ahoy me... mbuckos? It is I, legendary yarn spinner and all around good "roleplay" guy Capitan Pelomarron "Bunners" Rodribarren! We be needed allllll hands on deck for what is going down. Now is a great time to join in because ye oceans are running red with blood!!!! {{[[it's dead krill]]}} Try not to wet yourselves, but there are celebrations going down all across the Emerald server! I will most likely be playing poker. Send me a tell if ye need me!

Deceased Crab
Dec 31, 2006

You're going to pay for this!!!
I am the necromancer. hey.

I played with the mouthfuls for a while back when. We still play it looks like? There's an event Saturday at least. Reinstalled sunday. Still appear to have a bunch of clothes and stuff. I have enough PoE to get some dubloons. Is a bravery badge worthwhile at all? I don't know what I have to spend dubloons on, but I do know that I spent an ungodly amount of time on a neverending ship job on Sunday that paid like 14k PoE.

Should I get back into this? And for basic stuff, what badges do I really need? Not labor, I'm thinking, those badges disintegrate too quick.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Deceased Crab posted:

I am the necromancer. hey.

I played with the mouthfuls for a while back when. We still play it looks like? There's an event Saturday at least. Reinstalled sunday. Still appear to have a bunch of clothes and stuff. I have enough PoE to get some dubloons. Is a bravery badge worthwhile at all? I don't know what I have to spend dubloons on, but I do know that I spent an ungodly amount of time on a neverending ship job on Sunday that paid like 14k PoE.

Should I get back into this? And for basic stuff, what badges do I really need? Not labor, I'm thinking, those badges disintegrate too quick.

A labor badge will allow you to take jobs at the various stalls and forage at ships with forage jobs. A parlor badge will allow you to play games like poker and hearts. A bravery badge will allow you to participate in sea monster hunting trips which are probably the more lucrative trips. Depending on what you're good at and what you want to spend your time on, they can all be worthwhile.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

A labor badge will allow you to take jobs at the various stalls and forage at ships with forage jobs. A parlor badge will allow you to play games like poker and hearts. A bravery badge will allow you to participate in sea monster hunting trips which are probably the more lucrative trips. Depending on what you're good at and what you want to spend your time on, they can all be worthwhile.

I'd disagree. I don't remember ever doing enough worthwhile labor to pay for even the badge. Then again, I used to suck out loud at the labor puzzles.

By the way, apparently a bunch of former OOO employees formed a new company and are buying out the game from OOO's SEGAfied corpse. Content that isn't new colors or LE ships incom...ahahaha couldn't finish with a straight face. :negative:

edit: re-read and the post says "employees" specifically and not devs. I am not optimistic about this.

edit2: Oh, apparently SEGA actually shuttered Three Rings, and the new company (Grey Havens, another LotR reference) has bought out both Spiral Knights and YPP. Interesting.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 5, 2016

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I don't know how this game still exists. Waiting on that 9th jolly rodger in May, though.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

I don't know how this game still exists. Waiting on that 9th jolly rodger in May, though.

After seeing the "hey Grey Havens is buying the two remaining OOO games" announcement, I actually logged on to all my characters just to see how long I've been aware of this game. My oldest pirate was awarded the eleventh Order of the Jolly Rodger, which tells me this is either my second account or I stupidly deleted my actual first pirate because I was present at the first blockade of Spring Island, which YPPedia tells me was May of 2004, and that was after several months of playtime because that was with my second crew.

... jesus christ I'm getting old.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Okay you made me look it up.

I started playing this sometime during Beta, in mid-2003. I was present at the first big blockades including the hilarious Turtle Island situation where I fought for Hades under Deaths Banner and beat down the flag that had been wanting Turtle since the very start of the game. Good times.

Where do the Mouthfuls even hang out these days? I logged in to see and my pirates appear to be all congregated on Aimuari Island on Emerald.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Okay you made me look it up.

I started playing this sometime during Beta, in mid-2003. I was present at the first big blockades including the hilarious Turtle Island situation where I fought for Hades under Deaths Banner and beat down the flag that had been wanting Turtle since the very start of the game. Good times.

Where do the Mouthfuls even hang out these days? I logged in to see and my pirates appear to be all congregated on Aimuari Island on Emerald.

The main crew is on Emerald. The problem is not many of us play anymore. I hope this changing of hands now that Three Rings is gone will allow life to be breathed back into the game. I really have the best memories from Puzzle Pirates. I spent basically my entire teenage years playing it.

I still have my fancy townhouse all decked out on Aimuari island. A couple of ships too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I haven't played this in about ten years so I've forgotten all my login details, but if this is getting some fresh air I might try it again.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Admiral island is basically the only good island in the sea.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

Admiral island is basically the only good island in the sea.

Yeah. If Grey Havens is serious about not just maintaining the status quo in perpetuity, I'd probably say just wipe the oceans clean and start over. Maybe give trophies/trinkets for island/shoppe ownership, or for being Ultimate, but a wipe would probably revitalize things immediately as people would have a reason to fight for islands again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Grinnblade posted:

Yeah. If Grey Havens is serious about not just maintaining the status quo in perpetuity, I'd probably say just wipe the oceans clean and start over. Maybe give trophies/trinkets for island/shoppe ownership, or for being Ultimate, but a wipe would probably revitalize things immediately as people would have a reason to fight for islands again.

Wipe all oceans. Delete them. Create one new ocean. Reduce doubloon delivery cost by 70% and/or Increase amount of doubloons you get per dollar. Build new tutorial and start looking at some basic advertising declaring the game sandbox openworld fun etc.

That's what I'd do.

• Locked thread